Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
welcome stormblood, rip dark knight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

omg they so bad

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Ibblebibble posted:

Does anyone know when server transfers go online once severs open? Wanna get my butt to Omega when I can.

quote:

World Transfer Service is scheduled to be available again on Jun. 16, 2017 at around 5:00 a.m. (PDT)

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Paladin is so sick :c00l:

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Stalins Moustache posted:

So I've never really raided before and don't really know about the intricate details of each and every job regarding what they bring to the raid and so on, I just know I really, really love playing RDM so far. However, a friend of mine (admittedly one of those who cares about world firsts and about the miniscule changes in dps etc) told me that I am better off playing another DPS job because Red Mage will offer absolutely nothing to the table except for mediocre damage, damage that can already be outperformed by black mages and so on :(

I rarely care about the choice of class / job and so and just choose whatever I think is the most fun, but I also want to experience raiding properly in this game, perhaps even try out the most difficult tiers. Does what he say have any merit whatsoever? Should I choose another job?

As someone who leads a static, and takes the game semi seriously, I would take a dude playing a class he liked really well over some mediocre dude playing an optimal class just because it's optimal. if you wanna play rdm, play rdm. Get really fuckin good at playing it, and only people who won't want to take you are the kind of people you don't want to be playing with anyway.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

nuru posted:

What's wrong with Warriors at 70?

From what I hear, war is now the class that has to work harder to do the same damage as drk and not as much as pld. It also has the least amount of utility now that path has been changed and slashing isn't nearly as valuable anymore since the dps classes that want it now just apply it through their normal rotations,

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ApplesandOranges posted:

Do PLDs want to pull with Holy Spirit now, or is Shield Lob still a thing? I'm about 1.5 levels from getting it.

No, it doesn't have an emnity modifier. BUT If you're doing a dps opener though, (offtanking/have a ninja/made the other tank pull) then you want: shield lob > goring blade combo > requiescat into holy spirit spam

Either way, for pulling, you still want to use shieldlob. Holy spirit and requiescat is for when you have full mana. Just remember not to use fight or flight during your holy spam.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

isk posted:

Temple of the Fist, 2nd boss -

Intoluene posted:

I broke 20k at 51. Felt real good.

what puny baby sam numbers

https://twitter.com/FFXIVMomo/status/877384523306082308

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

reading on reddit rn that fell cleave out of berserk is a dps loss, lmao

that's incredible but then again, even Xenosys Vex thinks war is lovely in 4.0 so I can actually believe this is somehow true. smdh

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Tanks who think they can still cross their tank stance off after getting an aggro lead are cute. Even in level 60 synced content, they're dropping aggro like it's hot thanks to E.Moulinet.

But you still can though? Really easily? Anybody who loses aggro with all the aggro control they gave us in stormblood is "not good at the game"

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Then again, so are dps and healers who do not use their "I do not want aggro anymore" button

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Here's 30+ minutes of a bald man best known for playing warrior (and being really good at it), giving his thoughts on the job in 4.0. Figured it was worth a post since war/tank discussion seems to crop up every other page or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOKdznrs8zs

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Would it kill people to just write this poo poo down instead of rambling for half an hour over unedited twitch footage? (don't forget the facecam!!!)

yea I actually almost considered not posting this just because of how much he rambles (face cam I've accepted as a sign of the times), but it is still a dude who generally knows what he's talking about in regards to a topic a lot of people are interested in.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I still throw out Dark Passenger on c/d but i rarely Dark Arts it anymore since its a huge cost now. I always Dark Arts Quietus though.

Don't do either of these. Passenger is worth using all of never and you should never da a quietus. You get more mp to potency value, and thus more damage, just spamming abyssal drain.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Kuai posted:

I can't decide which tank to lvl as an alt job first. Does DRK still feel really annoying to play like it did at 60? Managing MP for DA poo poo was always such a downer.

Drk is way simpler to play now that it is literally impossible to lose darkside. not really comparable to how it was in heavensward, it's basically a brand new tank.

Best to worst: Pld > Drk > War

Easiest to most complicated: Drk > Pld > War

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/263f9a10fe534e8c93e43d08fde73eaba1c52976

quote:

we’ll be instituting a temporary measure that will log all characters out simultaneously across all Worlds on a data center once a day. Announcement for when this will take place will be made one hour prior via in-game system message. Please note that you will be logged out of the game even while inside of instances or duties.

Players will not be able to log back into the game for about 10 minutes while this is being processed.

:allears:

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

queeb posted:

how good is dungeon grinding in SB? I just hit 61 drk, should I spam the 61 dungeon over and over compared to pvp or whatever?

I dungeon spammed my drk to 70 over two days and I would take frequent breaks in between runs. You could probably do it in a day if you put your nose to the grindstone.

Planning on doing the same thing to my last tank to level, war as soon as my rested exp replenishes.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Dps and heals running ahead of me is how I learned to speed pull every stormblood dungeon.

The pulling the boss thing is kinda lame, unless it's a monk then I totally understand. I got through raubahn's wall day one though so there wasn't anyone to ask for tips on bosses. (I wouldn't have wanted them anyway though)

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Oxyclean posted:

I've been debating levelling a tank so I can queue as something other then dps once in awhile - Is there any tank that's regarded as the easiest to play? Even though I'm pretty familiar with the game at this point, and I tanked a ton in WoW, tanking somehow seems way more intimidating in this game so it seems best to start off with whatever has the least complexity until I get the hang of managing threat & cooldowns.

Dark is the easiest tank now and you have to actively try to mess up. It doesn't really get interesting though until quietus and doesn't get "fun" until bloodspiller.

Pld is only slightly more complex with easy to grasp phases, starts fun and only gets better.

War has the most cooldowns along with some of the best. (Vengeance is probably the best defensuve cooldown in the game) but the playstyle is very clunky right now so it's not something I'd recommend starting out.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i have literally zero reason to believe that is not the way an OF poster sincerely feels

it's a redditor :ssh:

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

All three of the free companies are nearly identical except for the no-spoiler policy in TPT.

PBC has a no spoilers for current patch rule as well and god drat I yell at nerds every other day for it. If you're in PBC and you're reading this, stop trying to rules lawyer what is and isn't a spoiler. Yes, the name of the final boss is a spoiler and I am going to loving kick the next person who tries to argue it isn't, consequences be damned.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
ah yes, unlike glorious pbc and dgkk where racist and sexist jokes fly freely unrestrained as the good lord intended

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
here's my hot take on the fc's: they're all literally exactly the same but are full of people convinced that they're in "the good one"

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I mean like, better it's the first thing that happens than 10 minutes in for a surprise wipe

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SL the Pyro posted:

I'm ashamed to admit that I one-run'd Susano Extreme with full Slaying right-sides on my tank.

It's shameful because the picture of the future this paints is awful. People are going to have issues in DPS checks when the actual raid content rolls in and tanks are going to respond with "lemme put on my i270 accessories" and get mashed into the loving ground by every tank buster. Even with full Fending on my WAR with the maximum possible HP in the game, Susano EX's Stormsplitter does 95% of my HP without cooldowns, which may as well be instant death because of the auto-attack that immediately shaves off the rest (and because most pubbie tanks I've ran with don't have the sense to Provoke during Stormsplitter's cast bar instead of after). Future bosses are going to hit several magnitudes harder.

only bad tanks get creamed. good tanks are going to do what they've always done. pop invul, tank swap, pop invul, swap, pop needed cooldowns, swap, pop needed cooldowns, swap, repeat forever. This works on every fight in the entire game. every single one, you never run out of cooldowns between tanks. take susie ex as a learning opportunity for getting used to this, and then do it on other fights even when the tank busters don't force a tank swap.

now I'll agree the str change is bad and the devs should feel bad for changing it, but it just means we're back (for now) to gordias style tanking. If you skipped that era (good on you) then may I welcome you to the world of hp thresholds. take only what you need to survive and nothing more. christ though is it a dub loving thing to change and i hope when they see that everyone's calling and using the 270 slaying stuff as bis for literally the entire expac, they get off their butt and change it.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

jalapeno_dude posted:

That seems like a bug/exploit which will be patched eventually, right?

lol

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

Presumably in just a few weeks there will be tankbusters demanding vit rightside

laughingalexander.mp4

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I forget when it was, either living liquid or brute justice, but there were tanks with only a thousand or so more hp than the drg, and this was considered normal and good

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
is it picture postin time? that's my favorite

alt

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

I still can't make up my mind on whether to level PLD or DRK from 62. Tell me, how often does DRK get to realistically use The Blackest Night in an encounter? What about PLD and the seemingly-weaker Sheltron?

pld beats drk in basically every respect and this is like the 10th time you've asked the thread this

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I need to have my I told you so moment here.

Exdeath is in this game and Kefka still isn't, get dunked you lovely Kefka fans :smug:

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
There's something Incredible to me that even the OF knows that str tanking is the correct thing to do right now but fucknuts on Reddit are screaming up and down that full vit is better and those dirty str tanks are playing the game wrong and ruining tanking.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jinh posted:

Did they actually add a bit of str to tank accessories like the patch notes sort of imply with the "stat changes to equipment" bit?

Other than increase enmity modifiers, they didn't do anything other than double down that they weren't going to make bit affect damage again. They even said that the reason people were using str was only for amenity confirming that they have no idea what kind of game they made and also confirming that they either don't listen, or purposefully refuse to listen to literally everyone, na, eu, and jp, telling them how the game is actually played. My money is on the latter and theres some fuckwad in the design team that refuses to let reality get in the way of "his vision" of how tanks and healers should function in his bullshit fairytale world.

I'm saltier han the lochs right now.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot posted:

you can't kill the hardest stuff without the gear it drops. h t h

This was an actual dilemma players faced in gordias

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

They're definitely going to need to add some better rewards to EXDR if it's going to remain usable in the long term. Once you've gotten your daily there's no reason to do it, so woe be to any DPS who wants to do their daily EXDR and didn't log on right when the roulettes reset. Some reason for tanks and healers to run it repeatedly would probably help DPS queue times a bit.

The incentive to do exdr is going to be the new, capped at 450 per week, tomestone they introduce when omega savage drops.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Rainuwastaken posted:

The moral of the 1-30 CNJ questline is that Gridania is terrible, the Elementals are shady as gently caress, and we should burn the entire Black Shroud to the ground.

That still doesn't solve the "people hit the button once a day" problem the guy brought up though.

I mean, i haven't logged in since the patch but the cracked cluster is once a day isn't it? Lmao if not. Assuming so (though I could honestly be wrong here until I get home to see for myself) hitting the button once a day is as good as you're going to get unless they straight up just make the daily bonus, well, not daily.

Anyway the problem now is that people aren't bothering to hit the button at all, which as I said should be fixed when the new tombstone drops and has people running it for months on end just to gear one or two jobs.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
WoW gave bags of swag to try and incentivize tanks and healers queuing and it still didn't really make a difference. The plight of dps queues is eternal, absolute, one of the supreme laws of the universe.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Are people really surprised that there are significantly more dps players than tank and healer players put together? Like, have you guys played mmos before?

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Where do you see people being surprised? No one is bamboozled over why queue times are long, they're offering what they see as potential solutions.

I mean this has been a problem since what? 2007? Whenever WoW finally got a dungeon finder. If a solution hasn't been found since then I don't think throwing ideas out into the void of the internet on something awful dot com is going to lead anywhere, even if everyone were in unanimous agreement.

Harrow posted:

Oh good, the "maybe don't play a job you find fun and instead play a different job :smug:" solution.

It is however the only solution pitched here that will actually get you results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

Nah, "join an FC" is a good step, too, which is something I pointed out a few posts ago. Actually taking the time to be social and not relying solely on the Duty Finder means that you're less likely to end up in a DPS queue in the first place. It's not the right solution for everyone, though, nor is "just play a tank or healer," and I'm sorry if throwing around ideas for things SE could do to make the game more fun for people who are unwilling/unable to do either of those things is annoying.

joining an fc is a good step, and so is being social. I can't tell you how many times I've approved apps to pbc only to see the person give an inaugural "hi" and then never be heard from ever again, that's if they even bother to say anything at all. Seems like an odd choice to join a guild of 500 dudes and not interact with them in any way. ANYWAY, other point being, if you feel you've got a decent idea, you're better off posting it somewhere that's actually in SE's rolodex, official forums, reddit, maybe some third website the bother to look at (it's probably just those first two though)