Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I want to get my brother into this game as he's been looking for an MMO he can play with his GF without her getting frustrated by how hard the combat is.The main issue is that he has a retardedly small attention span when it comes to videogame storylines, and I'm worried the MSQ will be a huge turnoff for him.

How far can he get in this game in terms of enjoyment while avoiding the MSQ? Is that feasible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

the msq unlocks so many things in this game and it's very prominent for an mmo, you can't not do it

you'd probably be better off steering them towards a different mmo

A Spider Covets posted:

I would suggest a different mmo, to be honest. The MSQ is required and it takes up a ton of time. The combat is fine to me and most players in this thread will say it's sooooooooo easy you guys lol, but it can be challenging at higher levels and isn't what I would recommend to someone who wants nice, easy combat to coast along with.

Maybe they could try something like Diablo III? It's not a mmo and it CAN be hard, but you control the pace and it's a good game to play with your SO and friends in my experience. Story doesn't take up much time, either!

gently caress I'm dumb, I probably should have mentioned that he's ok with doing main questlines in other MMOs if he has to, just as long as there's plenty to do otherwise. I know He's going to love the crafting system for example, and he's not afraid to grind as long as he enjoys the combat.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
So if I'm reading things correctly, if I'm playing on Balmung and a friend wants to try the game and join me, we're hosed right? There's no way he can come with me or me joining him without leaving balmung?

(Aside from cross world instances and what not)

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Well gently caress me sideways. Thanks for the confirmation.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

nuru posted:

It was at Blizzcon, not sure if they put it online. The gist was that a dude (who they completely threw under the bus) implemented the equipped gear to be hardcoded inventory slots after the first bag that weren't shown. It was a static array that was referenced all over the codebase. Growing that bag would require changing everything that touched inventory and equipment.

Or something like that. That guy doesn't work there anymore.

Man, everytime I hear about a function not being able to change in a game that's been out for years, it's always because "X hardcoded Y and everything references it". It almost feels like no game dev should be hardcoding anything with how much games can change.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I recently hit 52 as a botanist and have been messing around with collectibles, but I think I'm doing something wrong. All the guides I see say to use "reveal with a hit" to start the rotation, but that doesn't seem to be an actual skill. Are they saying I need to not use that one revealing skill for 300gp and instead manually guess at the out of reach slots?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

VHGS posted:

Items are always in the same place, so you don't need to guess. But yeah, you just click on the slot to swing at it, and it'll reveal if you have enough gathering.

Motherfucker. I noticed this but somehow didn't connect the dots in my tiny lizard brain.

So if I know what's in a slot, I just click it, put on the collectors glove, then proceed to appraising but without the 300gp deficit?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

A pink catte on a pink dogge

How do you get that dogge

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Make sure you talk to Hilda (I think its her) later.

Infact, make sure you speak to every npc every time they're about a MSQ giver/receiver. :haw:

About a giver/receiver?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
No PLD changes outside of PVP

:negative:

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Glagha posted:

I 100% do not understand Alphinaud being less relevant than fuckin Urianger. Man whose prime contribution is saying "Pray methinks forsooth thy needs must whomst'dve" and kinda pulls a nonsensical role in like the dumbest plot of the entire game.

loving hell man I should not have read this post at work, my manager thinks I randomly crack up laughing for no reason now

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Are squadron dungeons worth more exp than non first LLDR of the day dungeons?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
What the gently caress are these crafter changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Honestly I kinda get the feeling that XIV's devs want to change crafting to make it better, but have literally no idea whatsoever how to do it.

I've always figured that the switch from cross-class skills to the shared skill pool was applied to the wrong side of the game. Cross-class skills actually had an indirect benefit to the community knowledge base for combat jobs (you had incentive to learn other jobs and diversify your skillset and knowledge of what other jobs did) that just never existed for crafters, and actually doing the shared skill pool there would've reduced the Omnicrafter Problem they keep saying they want to do something about.

I'm trying to process the mental gymnastics required to think "nerfing critical base skills across the board will reduce the omnicrafter problem" and I just cannot see how they do it