Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

nuru posted:

How does this STR tanking thing work? I thought Slaying was changed to class specific now?

nooooooooooo.............!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
pld's damage was way more than 'brought up to par'. the changes are over the top and if square enix gave a poo poo at all about actual game balance the changes would be tweaked by 4.1, but they don't so pld will be stupid until 5.0.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

PLD's in a place now where they have a mechanic for being brought up to FELL CLEAVE META but if they do too much all it takes is some numbers changing. Before there was nothing they could change to give paladin a big burst until a rework, so that's what they did.

And if you think yoshi doesn't give a poo poo about game balance I invite you to go look over at what's going on in wow for legion. Class balance in FFXIV has always actually been really good, but shitlords scream about the meta constantly on reddit so people actually believe you couldn't kill A3S without a meta comp (you could and people are poo poo).

pld dps is currently substantially better than either warrior or drk, which is absolutely terrible from a gameplay balance perspective that the best tank at actual tanking is now also the one with functionally infinite sustain AND the best overall dps. the fact this even made it to live is absolutely bizarre.

class balance in ffxiv has not been 'always good' and the fact wow has worse balance doesn't somehow mean other things balanced better doesn't somehow mean they're still balanced well.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Where the other classes can't do the same job.

Also, expansion launch, no poo poo some classes are outperforming. This happened at HW launch, too.

i mean, paladin could do literally everything in HW, but by and large people really didn't bring them in progression content. can you explain why that is? spoilers: it's because ease of completion is a much more useful balancing metric than just ability of completion. i don't doubt that all of the tank jobs *can* clear all of the content, but if paladin can clear it x times easier than the other tanks, why bring the other tanks? i don't doubt a static of like seven other people you know would be fine with you playing warrior, or whatever, but if you don't think there will be a noticeable difference come raid-time when one of the tank classes does 25 percent more damage, survives way better than the others, is barely reliant on burst windows to do their top dps, and can mitigate ridiculous damage for the rest of the raid, you've got your head buried in the sand.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

1) you mean they didn't absolutely nail a class's damage output with just internal testing on their first try? get the gently caress out!
2) being able to clear the content is all that matters, and if your group is one of those shitheel groups where they told you to play X class because it was better than the class within the same role you want to play, you're better off without them, especially here, the land of endless goon groups
3) PLD actually is reliant on burst windows now as well, given how requiescat works.
4) show me where PLD at equal gear does 25% more overall dps and takes significantly less damage (taking into account defiance's healing bonus) than the other tanks.
5) having more mitigation didn't make PLD better than the other tanks in HW, so what's actually your point with that?

I mean, you haven't even come close to addressing the first point anyway. AST got a huge buff when it turned out that they actually were poo poo, why on earth do you think it wouldn't happen again?

it's not my job to sit here and do like an hour of math that you don't even care about to prove something that is literally easily observable but you're being deliberately obtuse in half of these. paladin is going to be leaps and bounds better than the other tanks come omega if the class does not get tweaked.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Wangsbig posted:

I jump potioned paladin literally just from 50-60, as a grand show of my affluence

i jumped my drg from 55 to 60 you disgusting pauper

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

lmao

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

The new elite mark bills that used to be posted weekly are now posted daily. That gives you a total of 210 seals a day if you do them all, or a little more than 1 grade 6 materia every other day.

which bills? the forgotten knight ones? you can buy grade vi materia from those now?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I've also noticed a lot more back-capping going on so I don't really mind it, except for the one time both of the 2 healers in my entire raid were guarding back-caps. trust me when I tell you second wind is NOT enough healing.

that's also the game where I had the most damage taken by like 20k and I was playing loving Samurai.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you could probably loving give people free subs and they'd still be hesitant to tank/heal and that issue is only compounded when you make three of the six non-dps roles Literally loving Garbage in the same expansion you introduce two cool-rear end dps jobs

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i was a warrior main from like 2.1-3.55 and i'd rather play a dps class than have to navigate the clunky mess that is currently warrior just to do like 80 percent of a paladin's damage

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just started my dark knight leveling and I already like it better than HW. Much less going on. I'm hitting dark arts more often but it somehow seems less onerous than before.

it is because drk mp management used to require firing neurons in your brain but now is insanely simple, hth

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i would gladly trade my eight fell cleaves or whatever for a job that isn't awful. somehow despite giving us the ability to artificially inflate our dps for twenty seconds every three minutes I'd rather just have a job where my ability to not do piddly tickle damage didn't rely on lining up like four disparate cooldowns that don't necessarily overlap or refresh at awkward timings

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

OK so paladin is stupidly overpowered right now. My similarly geared, similarly skilled warrior co-tank only does about 3/4 of my dps on Susan EX, and I even spend more time in tank stance than him. It's like bizarro world after HW. Hopefully this gets adjusted before Savage starts.

*nods sagely*

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
lmao yeah bro a tank that's literally also a healer that's also a dps thats so loving easy you could play it by farting on your keyboard is in no way overpowered

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

dogsicle posted:

Is there a way to use both WXHB and toggle triggers? It seems weird that the game lets you have both set to on when they seem incompatible.

please do not use toggle triggers in general

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Sade posted:

Yeah, people calling for PLD nerfs after they were in the gutter all last expansion are dicks. I hope DRKs and WARs are as strong as paladins after the next patch, and further I hope they leave paladin exactly the way it is because holy poo poo this job is fun now.

just because a class was previously bad doesn't make it okay when it's too good and revolving-door class balance is absolutely terrible game design.

i think ideally paladin gets tweaked slightly downwards and drk and war get tweaked up but right now paladin is doing way too much given how insanely simple and straightforward it's new rotation is.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Is there actually a limitation that grade 6 materia can only go in the first slot, or was that just a fever dream I had while reading the patch notes?

idk if you're in my FC but apparently this is not the case; you're just limited to using the guaranteed meld slots.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you have three posts itt right now and by my reckoning that's about six too many

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
reading on reddit rn that fell cleave out of berserk is a dps loss, lmao

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
ah the unironic loldrg player

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i kind of thought that there'd be more mechanics to stun or silence because, you know, that's like half of our role skills on tank, but you know i guess not

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
jeez, 1301 in queue for omega but only like 9 for excal. wow.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Why is Balmung so drat populated? All I know about it is that it's the RP choice of servers, but that can't be the actual reason, can it?

think of all the weirdos on your server who do nothing but idle their catgirls in bathing suits in costa del sol, then imagine they had a server where people didn't think they were loving weirdos

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

i knew what this was but it is still great to read.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
why are people who ostensibly give a gently caress about the game bringing two astrologians

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Arist posted:

I mean, I've wanted a way to get rid of a drawn card without Spreading or Royal Roading it since I started AST, but that doesn't seem like what we're complaining about.

you could left-click the card icon previously to get rid of it, same as any other buff.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
winning should probably net more so that all the people doing pvp for the xp have a reason to ostensibly care, but losing should never give nothing because it's nearly impossible to have enough personal impact to make a losing team win.

otoh, holy poo poo the amount of players who do literally nothing is insane.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

One thing they really need to do is make the role in need bonus for roulettes actually matter. Apparently the XP you get from it doesn't scale with level at all, so you only get like 50,000 even at level 69.

how much does this really change though? i've seen dps in need like once in my life and that's the role that's routinely scraping the barrel for xp sources. all that would do would make leveling tanks and sometimes healers easier, which was never a huge issue anyway.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you will not get people to play tank or heal that do not want to. all most of these would do would have the unwashed DPS masses screaming about how SE hates them.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
dungeons are the fastest way to get xp in most situations. the reason it is ever slow is waiting in queues, which, congrats, you don't have to do.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if someone else pulls and i'm fairly confident in my ability to regain aggro naturally i'll just let them get their poo poo rocked for a few GCDs

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the dps queues were absolutely not this bad for HW, but it's not like people were clamoring for machinist. they added two of the remaining seriously iconic final fantasy jobs in this expansion and they were both dps, at the same time making a lot of tank and healer changes that have probably driven a decent amount away.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

...and is Samurai really all that iconic of a Final Fantasy Job? I mean, I don't doubt the idea is popular, I just don't remember it being a job option in the FF games I've played.

samurai as an actual job was only in final fantasies that most people probably haven't played (besides tactics), but most final fantasies have a character who is at least a samurai analog and the job was fairly popular in ffxi.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i hope we get another class similar to 3.x drk. all of the tanks are extremely straightforward to play, with the slight exception of warrior which isn't really complex as much as it is clunky.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is it? I haven't played it in SB yet but in HW, it was definitely possible to gently caress yourself and run out of MP by mistake if you weren't paying attention. I've heard the class has less buttons to press now, but I was under the impression that MP management was still a thing.

you literally cannot drop darkside, even if you run oom, and darkside no longer drains mana. mana management is still sort of a thing, but i've yet to really had situations where i was running out.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

colossally broken, unless you somehow keep vuln up/resist down debuffs after you're "reraised"

i mean, ostensibly the only issue with it is that it gives you full HP. i don't think this made up ability would actually have you die, just 'the first time you would die, go to full HP instead'. you wouldn't be dropping buffs or debuffs, it would just give you a second HP pool.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

i can't wait for my weaponskill finisher to fizzle out 3 times in a row, then oneshot a raid boss

yeah just like i can't wait to go bankrupt using gil toss on my samurai or to kill zombies using raise or any number of things jobs did in other final fantasy games that they don't do here

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
evasion tanking conceptually just doesn't work though. they're either too good or too bad due to the way the concept has to work.

the closest to a tank based on evasion i feel like could work is something like wow's brewmaster, where you stagger a certain amount of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
okay well people are usually talking about 'tanks that actually use evasion', not 'tanks that are normal tanks but have the word 'quick' in a lot of their abilities'.