Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Ok, I'm the first person to admit that SCH was ridiculously powerful in HW, but I feel like they went a tiny bit overboard with the nerfs here.

I unno, I'll reserve judgement until I get my hands on it, but it's looking kinda iffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

The real sin of Stormblood is that it's gonna be really hard to make fitting RDM glamours because 90% of caster gear is black robes.

(give us cross class glamours already, yoshi :arghfist:)

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I am Maelstrom, I just like having more choice in my glamours than 5 coats. :(

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I wish they'd retooled Dissipation, cause Largesse existing means it's even more niche than it was in HW.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The RDM storyline was pretty awesome. X'Rhun and Arya are pretty cool, and it was really neat doing segments of both Great Gubal Library (Normal) and Weeping City during the quests and even fighting a version of Gubal NM's final boss Do any of the other job quests visit actual past dungeons like that?

SCH 60-70 has you visiting the last part of Amdapor Keep and Lost City HM (with the latter having a slightly modified version of the Kuribu fight.)

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

If they're untradable, yes. Otherwise, no.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

The secret to dungeon healing as SCH is seeing how long you can go without casting any heals except Excog.

More seriously, the 4.05 buffs made SCH fun to play again in dungeons, and that's Very Good.

Anyway, I did some quick and dirty napkin math for potency per second on Miasma II vs. Holy/Gravity, and it works out to roughly 60 PPS less at base GCD/cast times, assuming you average 3 ticks over 12s. (I know you can get 4 in that time, but that'd be under perfect conditions, so.) So yeah, it's pretty drat strong when you take into account Bane and Shadow Flare.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Hasn't the "Altima" name already been given to one of the Ascians in that sequence with a bunch of them having a meeting at the end of 2.0?

All of the Ascians are named after the Scions of Light from Ivalice, so yeah. (Well, it's not really clear if Ultima was the Scion of Light or the Scion of Darkness, but anyway.)

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Verranicus posted:

How many people would I need to clear Coil nowadays? I'm trying to do content in order of release for reasons, and I'm fast approaching the point where I'd access Coil 1-4.

You need 4 people for the final phase of T9, and probably around that many to deal with T10.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Just finished the MSQ and I just wanna say, holy poo poo.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Something I just realised is that the information from this patch also puts a whole different spin on the Calamity. Since we now know that Solus is a Murderous Immortal rear end in a top hat who cares more about who he's going to genocide today than Primals running around, Project Meteor was Solus's pet project from the start, manipulating a vulnerable woman into murdering a whole lot of people, not a last resort plan to deal with the Primal threat.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

The question now is, how do we handle Garlemald without triggering a flood of light? Depriving the Ascians of their biggest tool entirely would almost certainly lead to setting off the imbalance.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Oh wow. Are those crafted?

Yeah, level 60 3* crafts.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

More MSQ thoughts: Ultima Weapon was just the world's most absurdly convoluted assassination attempt. Gaius had already proven himself a problem for the Ascians when he helped sabotage Project Meteor. Had Ultima actually gone off, not only would it have caused another Calamity, but Gaius would be too dead to interfere anymore. And if the WoL won, well, Gaius would still be dead, so it's not a total loss. It didn't work in the end, obviously, but that's more because Lahabrea kinda sucked at his job.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Thundarr posted:

I don't think that was the goal but more of a happy bonus. Gaius is probably the most badass person in the world that doesn't benefit from the Echo in some way, and his personal ideology is completely incompatible with letting Ascians run around creating chaos. Getting rid of him once he'd served his purpose was definitely something they wanted, but activating Ultima for the double whammy calamity was always the main goal. Selling Ultima Weapon as a tool of conquest rather than an engine of total destruction was just a convenient way to make sure he was on board for rebuilding it.

Oh, the primary goal was certainly always the next calamity, I agree, I just think that Gaius getting it specifically wasn't an accident.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Archyduke posted:

I didn't start playing until 3.2 or so but I know people like to speculate and toss around fan theories. In the lead-up to HW as details were, presumably, trickling out, was there any point where people knew about Thordan and knew there was an Alexander themed raid and presumed Alex would be tied in with Ishgard? It's usually holy-aspected and Ishgard of course is a big scary fort city. By the same token, what were peoples' general reactions to the reveal of what classic summon his fight did draw from?

We were told that Alex was linked to the gobbies when he was announced, so nah, there wasn't any speculation IRT Ishgard.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Harrow posted:

Side note: I discovered I enjoy tanking and now I'm even more annoyed that BLU (probably) won't be a tank. So many versions of Blue Mage in the past have been all about getting hit by stuff, it should be a tank job! :argh:

Oh well, maybe the "Gunblade" job will be a tank?

Assuming the leaks are true (and we have no real reason to believe otherwise), BLU is DPS, Gunblade Class is a tank, and DNC is a healer.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

BLU will get White Wind and Mighty Guard, therefore obsoleting every other class. World first Mog Savage will be 8 BLU.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

CHM healer is my #1 most wanted job, but I know in my heart that that's just a pipe dream. DNC was high on the list too, so I'm not too bothered. Interested in seeing how it works, too. Momentum based healer that builds gauge to use bard song-style dances, maybe?

The one thing I have some trepidation about is that BLU/DNC/Gunblades screams "Garlemald/Thavnair split expansion", and I'd rather them focus on each of those individually.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What happened to being a peaceful emissary? :argh:

He just forgot to add "until you've served your purpose by pumping enough light into the world that we won't accidentally Void it."

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Harrow posted:

If I'm not mistaken, while a person can become the basis for a primal, they're not actually the primal themselves, are they? Like Shiva the primal is just a manifestation of people's beliefs and legends about the real Shiva, not actually summoning the real Shiva back. So even if the Warrior of Light did become a primal, it wouldn't be you--it'd be a primalized representation of people's beliefs about you. And while we see people turning into those primals, what they're doing is essentially serving as a host body for a primal--so Ysayle isn't Shiva, she's a host for Shiva, who is herself not the real historical Shiva.

Which sort of lends itself more to the idea that eventually someone will summon a primal based on the Warrior of Light that you'll have to fight.

This is slightly complicated by the case of Louisoix and Phoenix. When the Eorzeans were praying for salvation, they weren't specifically praying for Phoenix, but what Phoenix represents. There's nothing to indicate that Phoenix even existed prior to the Calamity, in fact. Of course, this is a bit different, since it wasn't Louisoix's original body, but Reconstituted Louisoix Bits.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

The best part of SCH is getting yelled at for "not healing" because 90% of your heals are oGCD.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

The game's lyrics range the gamut from understandable (Oblivion), to incomprehensible (Rise, eScape), to literally gibberish (Ultima).

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I thought Ultima was Latin.

Only by technicality.

Soken posted:

It kills me to be the bearer of bad news, but we have special software for generating sounds that resemble vocals, and I used its random feature to create the song. I selected a standard preset based on Latin, so the language used is probably Latin.

Rise of the White Raven is, in fact, actual Latin, though.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Most of the time it's not worth cleansing poison, especially at low level, especially if it's going to be refreshed again.

Considering the reference to a level 35 lancer, that's almost certainly Aiatar's poison, which you really, really want to Esuna. (Shoutout to the good old days where SCH's only way to deal with poison in Brayflox was Adlo and Whispering Dawn.)

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

It's a level 20 skill, and role actions don't wait until level 70 to unlock?

But the extra 5 role actions were added a week ago, and before that, a lot of 50+ healers didn't have Esuna slotted at all, which is the main reason they were added in the first place.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm pretty sure the only reason that O4N had Doom is that they realized that there were literally no cleanseable debuffs in max level 4.0 content.

It's an FFV nod. Exdeath almost always starts the fight by casting Doom on a party member. Making it specifically an Esunable Doom is probably for that reason, though.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Truga posted:

What I really want is a tank that wears caster gear. I have dps that wears caster gear, healer gear is just recoloured caster gear anyway, now gimme a tonk.

Well, tanks can wear most pre-50 caster gear...

More seriously, the only way a tank in caster gear would work is if they had a way to make up for casters having awful defense.

let healers have tank level defense yoshi, we already have amazing mdef

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I'm pretty sure that Eos does more healing than me in 70 dungeons anyway. Between Whispering Dawn, Fey Union, and Excog, the only thing you really need to do unless your group is awful is throw out the occasional Lustrate and Indom.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

It'll take you 4 weeks minimum to get the chest from Alphascape, so it's generally a good idea to just grab the tome chest ASAP and get your legs from two weeks of Alpha.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Well, Thavnairians do wear heavy wool dresses, if the Hannish sets are anything to go by.

Also I had an O11 the other day where I pulled aggro just in time to eat Mustard Bomb. I know the SCH opener is bursty, but it's not that bursty.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I mean, you don't tell the Minstrel about Omega at all.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

A lot of the SB crafter quests are basically "you are literally the best X in the world, go teach these guys how to be as good as you". (Shoutout to the CUL quests, where somebody refuses to help you until they're told that you're the world's greatest chef.)

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Gaius was explicitly a social Darwinist who was wholly on board with "might makes right" as a philosophy, hence the whole yelling "Eorzea is mine by right!" at you during his boss battle. You're straight up told that the only reason he objected to Project Meteor was out of pragmatism, since he'd rather conquer a populated region than a burning hole in the ground where the survivors just hate your guts.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Finally managed to solo T13 today. Bahamut is holding out on me when it comes to books, though.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

That is a huge book, where do I get one?

Also, I was annoyed that AST get Helios before Benefic after I had to heal story Ifrit using only Helios, but APPARENTLY Benefic and Benefic II are different spells and I've healed my way up to 60 without using my bread-and-butter spell.

That's Tsukuyomi's Codex, so it's an Ex Primal weapon.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's like, three useless Role Actions on each job. Replace one of those with good stuff like Shirk!

Hey now, healers only have one useless role action! ...Which was the whole problem, really.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Prism posted:

What top is that? I recognize the pants but not the chestpiece.

It's the Hannish Wool Autumn Shirt.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I tend to use the crafted primal books (Dead Hive Codex and The Law of Levin First Edition in particular are really nice). Also Ethica (the book from Castrum Abania), Last Resort Zeta, and right now, the Makai Chronicle, since it's Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Unless you weren't a 1.0 player, in which case it failed horribly and the original Warrior of Light disappeared from existence.