Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I remember when people liked ARR's story a reasonable bit. I was the same. HW and SB definitely made them look a lot worse retroactively, and I'm not sure if I'd miss them very much either. At the very least, it'd be nice to trim a lot of that excess filler.

I actually really like the payoff from the characters established in some of ARRs arcs. SB in general seems to be about bringing a lot of people back, and it's something I've noticed in the job quests too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Some of Koji Fox' comments about the lore behind place names feels straight out of a Yoko Taro game. As usual, he's very good at this whole panel thing, too.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

To be fair to that thread OP, they did change their stance and realised some benefits to it being locked.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Huh, if I didn't know any better then I'd have assumed the OP was from Omega a couple of months ago.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

If you want a relaxing expert roulette, then pulling at least two groups should be fine and tends to satisfy most people. I find it's often a comfortable compromise.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

The greed only thing made sense to me. It's been pretty clear for a while that most people seem to use it for alt-jobs, and with the 1-drop a week limitation, you're only going to be rolling on the things you need. It's gonna make older sets a mess to get though.

It sounds like they're going to do a bit more with Eureka, so I'm interested in seeing how they improve it somehow make it worse.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I think they're joking.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Well drat, I'm probably going to miss them this time. I forgot they'd be on sale this soon.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I like the Paladin Stormblood quests though, as bad as the rest are. It's just checking in on some buddies from other job quests before you beat them up.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

From ARR to Stormblood, there's like a single moment in the entire library of PLD quests that involves you being even slightly heroic.

I'm struggling to recall what that could be. Was that in Heavensward? I really don't remember the Heavensward quests very well for PLD. That whole launch week is hazy for me.

e: Re: Bloodbath. Yes, please! I still miss that ability.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Pretty sure the single moment was in SB where you help a kid get unkidnapped so you can have a proper fight with your old GLD buddy. Although you could throw some more in there if you broaden your heroics to 'surpassing adversity.'

I totally forgot that Aldis had a kid following him everywhere. I just mostly remember the fact that the Coliseum finally got incorporated in some quests and it was a good excuse to meet the Warrior of Lights fans from the other walks of life.

Schneider Heim posted:

Seems that I have a lot of job questlines to do... are there ones that significantly alter dialogue in Stormblood MSQ, like getting DRG to 50 before meeting Estinien?

Someone may correct me, but I don't think there's any significant changes this time. The job quests are a little bit more disconnected from the MSQ (instead, Stormblood job quests reference the other jobs fairly often--I actually had a notepad file somewhere for all the cameos). At best, there's just an occasional reference, but you won't miss anything.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

A lot of the cameos in the Stormblood class quests feature characters from other classes, and they usually have a remark about your very broad talents.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

pupuru posted:

The Burn spoilers holy poo poo does the mist dragon hurt. I got targeted for the aoe pools as a tank and lost 3/4 of my hp just running out of it. Is there a way to dodge it or something?

I was thinking the same. The final boss seems to hit really hard for a dungeon boss.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

A lot of the bosses had fast mechanics, but the last one was especially mean. I got a little giddy seeing Mist Dragon again, though. Especially when it turned into mist. :allears:

When I saw the Mist Dragon I knew it was coming. It just had to. That still didn't stop me getting pretty happy about the dragon turning into mist. Nice to see it now in the game.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Wasn't part of the reason it was portrayed in the OP because they had to put in the request months in advance, before some of the plot details were finalised? My takeaway was that it was partly up to the interpretation of the cinematics team too, but it was long enough to go that I might just be remembering wrong.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It also helps if you stick the enemies in environmental hazards whenever possible.

The rocks falling at the beginning works on enemies, too!

This is how I know I've had too much time away from the game. This seems so obvious in hindsight, especially given that we've had similar mechanics before. Well, this is good to know!

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I wanted to see where the story in Eureka was going, but I honestly couldn't stick to Pagos for long. It's the only content in the game I've noped out of so far. I hope they come up with something better for the next expansion. It's kind of disappointing because I was hoping they'd go all in and do a Monster Hunter--just smash monsters for parts. Some of the NMs seem to be able to do trial/dungeon boss mechanics, so it could have been fun to embrace that. It felt more like they expected us to fight trash though?

I mean, it probably wouldn't have worked anyway, but they could have given us something more. It sucks that we get more Eureka and Hildibrand only has two quests in each part.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm kind of on board with it. I think having a comically absurd job to revisit old content with could be fun, and the idea of potentially doing silly things like turning Nael into a toad or whatever sounds like a good thing to me. It's just some side content, and I guess it's a combat-equivalent to the gathering classes, or a job equivalent to PotD/Eureka. It's not a terrible alternative to the muted BLU we'd have been getting if it turns out to be this mental, OP job that it's always been.

Also, I could understand their reason on the restriction to a degree. Showing up to a duty with limited or the wrong spells could really screw things up for people, or result in Blue Mages getting a bad rep. I'm not sure if it warrants the DF restriction or not though.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Choyi posted:

As for BLU I just hope this lets them not worry too much about keeping it balanced, and instead just going nuts with fun and crazy strong spells being learnable, also they better let "Bomb Toss" have a random chance to blow up in your face.

If BLU doesn't end up this absurd job with some crazy fun spells then they truly have lost it. It's the perfect opportunity to revitalize older content as well. I want to see just how ridiculous ARR's old end-game gets if you chuck a Blue Mage or two in there.

e: Also IIRC BLU has always been this kind of side-content collectible-progression gimmick job anyway, and the last time they tried to add it to an MMO it broke things. This embraces what I actually enjoyed about BLU.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 18, 2018

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

do you actually have to level BLU or does it start at 50 like SAM and RDM

You have to level it. I imagine you'll need to get gear for it as you level too.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

That'd be comparable if those other jobs had a baked in collect skills gimmick. Collecting abilities had been a core element to Blue Mage and they've made that a minigame.

I'm with folk on it sucking that we can't DF with it or can't take it into current things but I like Blue Mage itself more than I do having a job that's kind of Blue Mage but not? Though I'd have been on board if they distilled it into a tank too.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

You have. There's some pretty fun stuff if you check in with the rest of the Scions at the beginning and end of a new patch storyline.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Seconding this. Specifically because your LP showed me just how much I missed.

I really dig how these otherwise "faceless" NPCs have character arcs, and it's been neat to see some of them slowly show up in the actual MSQ. Honestly, the pre-patch ARR stuff was nice but the Rising Stones is really where it's at.

Ytlaya posted:

Is that image from the encylopedia thing? That's really cool if it actually talks about random NPCs and stuff. Might actually consider getting it.

Yeah, both books have a lot of stuff about random NPCs. I feel like Koji really went the extra mile with them. It's actually a real shame that the Square-Enix store drops some of these products forever after a year or two has passed (at least, on the EU store). The old art books and the first encyclopedia are gone.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I quite like kara-age kun red, but the fried garlic sesame oil flavour sounds nice too. Give me some limit break flavour please.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

People are saying BLU is looking kinda weak from what they showed off in the live letter.

The abilities they've shown make it look like BLU could fit with the regular game balance to me? It's just a small sample size though, and they're probably saving the more spectacular stuff (Level 5 Death was announced as a level 60 enemy action too, so that won't even be available until the first level cap increase). Quests even require you to have specific actions unlocked too.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I will be more than happy if that ends up our main group for the expansion.

e:

Saint Freak posted:

Very surprising when you consider all the times Blue Mage has been good like -

uhh... mods?

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 21, 2018

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

If you're not using Fracture at the end of your Berserk window then you're doing something 0.01% wrong.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I had stuff to do today but they all got replaced by Blue Mage. It's kind of silly and fun. I was worried it'd be a bit muted when I saw some examples of its actions last week, but it's just ridiculous instead.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Using the class system to create side content is an interesting premise, and it doesn't matter too much how relevant it is when it's actually pretty fun. It's like most of the other side content at this point.

I will say that it seems more popular than I was expecting, given the initial reception? I'm digging the goofy fanart stuff already too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Cephas posted:

white chlorination syndrome was the result of maso (magic) energy being released from the fantasy drakengard world into the normal-earth Nier world, right?

prediction: the Nier raid will end with the warrior of light having to banish an overwhelmingly powerful primal from Eorzia, sending it through a portal into someone else's dimension, oozing a bunch of Eorzia's Aether into a world that normally doesn't have any. The introduction of foreign aether will lead to a new unstoppable disease, like "black salinization syndrome" or something, and the warrior of light will be responsible for the mass extinction of an entire planet. Then, after about 5 years, this single guest-designed raid storyline will serve as the setting for Yoko Taro's next video game.

:yokotaro:

It's actually going to become an obscure backstory for the next Final Fantasy which Yoko Taro finally gets to write/direct.