Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So why do two Samurai skills say they're job quest skills but the rest don't? Are there only two skills rewarded from job quests now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Samurai's got more complexity than I was expecting, actually, and it might be kinda tricky to keep up Sen but not clip your dots/buffs, especially on AoE pulls.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

On the other hand you only need to keep the Damage and Reduced Delay buff up before going straight into the AoE Iaijutsu and then you've got an AoE combo with two finishers which each grant sen.

Throw in some Hissatsu and you can probably get by without the Damage buff (especially when you take into account Guren)

Boy I'm really gonna need to learn these words eventually.

On single target fights, and assuming Kenki spenders are off the GCD (i think they all are?) I'm assuming the buffs are exactly long enough that you can build 3 sen, setsugekka, then build three sen again the same way you did the first time

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Nah, like VHGS said it's better for you to convert your first 3 sen to Kenki via Hagakure and spend that on Hissatsus weaved among building more sen for Higanbana and Midare.

I kinda have a hard time wrapping my head around waiting for optimal Kenki for doing AoE but in taking a look at BLM I realize that pretty much everyone's going to want to build up for big AoE bursts what with all of the sustain nerfs (even MNK's AoE is burst what with Elixir Field and Howling Blow.)

Even single target?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

3 Sen converted to Kenki is 60 Kenki, and Hissatsu: Guren is 50 Kenki for 800 potency on single target.

Midare is 720 (unbuffed.)

Also your main single target Kenki spender (Hissatsu: Shinten) is 300 potency for 25 kenki.

Wouldn't you spend your first 3 Sen on a Kaiten buffed Midare? You should have enough Kenki to Kaiten it. That's 1080 potency. Kaiten has a 5s CD, too

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
????

Increases potency of next weaponskill by 50%.

unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say, you can't Kaiten buff guren or shinten

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That makes sense, thanks

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
It's alost certainly get butt kicked in ala mhigo" > go to Doma to train and get allies > go gently caress up story guy in ala mhigo > ??? > afk on Rowena's temple in Doma

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I sincerely doubt we'll see all of Ala Mhigo in 4.0 and I doubt we'll kill the big bad guy (although given 3.0 I suppose that's a possibility)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
also i don't know whose character this is and i dont think they're a goon but we should put them in the yearbook anyway

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
it is time

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Players in queue: 1,284

jesus christ it's 2:00am

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
hey it went down to 985, progress

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
wow it's going down pretty quick, i'm at 700 now

i will stop updating you all

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Already down to 116, almost there

SAM theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylyqoxh-cXk

incorrect

SAM theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3472Q6kvg0

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Samurai is v good

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
it's a little simple at 50 but once you get kenki and ogcds it really comes together (i assume)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The problem is, you can't really stay out of instances and just grind FATEs because those are a clusterfuck too. nowhere is safe

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

SAM at 50 is "do your damage buff combo, iaijutsu DoT, then just keep doing all three sen combos followed by Midare Setsugekka."

RDM at 50 is Jolt > Aero/Thunder depending on which mana is lowest > if procs, Stone/Fire ELSE Jolt > Aero/Thunder > repeat until you get 80/80 mana, then dash in, do your melee combo, backflip out and go back to top.

That's basically SAM to 62, except you get to dick around with Hissatu: Kaiten, too, which is fun.

Once you hit 62 and you start gaining Kenki with almost every action, it really takes off. The basics are still the same and centered around keeping your Sen combos up, but the interplay between sen and kenki (with Hagakure) seems to add a lot of complexity. It's fun, highly recommend.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Are the SAM and RDM quests purely flavor or are there decent rewards for them?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
got into potd, immediately 9k errored out, got back in, waited in an 800 person queue, got in, immediately 9k'd again, now i'm in a 700 person queue

don't do palace

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
is the "get a piece of gear you don't have yet from completing a dungeon" thing just for HW dungeons, or stormblood too?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
sweet

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

well this is a new one

HELP

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i wasn't even doing susano i was just talking to an NPC and suddenly dc'd

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Kenki fills up SIGNIFICANTLY faster at 62, and at 62 you start getting oGCD kenki fillers and it gets a lot better. It's my favorite melee class now.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Hivac posted:

How much value do you get for each of the gcd attacks? I've been trying to figure this poo poo out but not being able to see the numbers makes it hard to plan out

The first two parts of the combos give 5 (Kasha and Gekko give 10 if you land the positionals, Yukikaze gives 10 anyway), Fuga gives 5, Oka and Mangetsu each give 10, Enpi gives 10, and Hagakure (most importantly) gives up to 60 based on your Sen count.

Before 62, you only get 5 from Kasha, Gekko, Yukikaze, and Enpi. So you build it SIGNIFICANTLY faster with Kenki Mastery II.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Can someone explain how ACT works? I've never used it before but now that stormblood's out I'm curious. I know someone in DGKK was using it already in Stormblood but I've never used it before so I dont know what I need to install to make it work.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I mentioned this in FC chat but a fun way to break a rude DPS emotionally as a healer is to Rescue him when he's mid-LB and then healer LB instead

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

m.hache posted:

I find that half the time I can't get anything to connect even when I'm right on top of them. Usually only happens when they are running away though.

If they engage however it's amazing how fast you can light them up as SAM.

I've had a lot more success playing defense, stick with your healers or squishy mages and throw Enpis at people to build Kenki, and the second someone tries to engage, blow them the gently caress up. Works pretty well.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I know Neverlose got BLM to 70 earlier today, I think they were practicing the rotation earlier but I have no idea what it is

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

the pvp set is great and looks way better with this sword and not the pvp sword

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The thing that annoys me about samurai is that there's no way to dump Sen before a boss fight, although I think that's somewhat remedied by Hagakure at 68. Until then, though, you can totally gently caress your opener in a dungeon.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
It's harder to judge individual performance as a tank, which turns a lot of people off of it. Or at least I think it's less fulfilling. Like as a DPS I can always tighten my rotation or try for bigger numbers, but the only satisfaction I get off tanking is pulling increasingly bigger packs and surviving, but that's at least 50% on the healer too.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

SAM openers in dungeons are going to be an absolutely stupid amount of damage because they can go in to the boss with 3 Sen and a full kenki gauge. I could see someone ripping threat even with diversion if they're landing a couple (direct) crits with big skills like midare and guren.

I've seen this happen in raids. :buddy:

I tried to get ready for a boss earlier today by saving Sen and Kenki and immediately pull aggro on pull and almost pulled it again even with diversion, it was silly.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Please explain how to use ACT and assume I'm an idiot

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Shatter is the fastest and best pvp mode, yes. Capture is alright but a lot slower. Just spam shatter and learn how to pvp with your class

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Cu Chulainn posted:

Yoooooo what coat is that

field commander's coat, you get the full set for winning...i think 100 frontlines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Which are the two EX dungeons? I'm hoping one's Bardam and the second boss is the same but more ridiculous