Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

SettingSun posted:

So who's got tips on how to get good at Mahjong. I get the rules, broadly, but I'm looking at my hand and I can scarcely comprehend why the hint says to discard such-and-such tile.

What the hints are generally doing on offense is trying to maximize tile acceptance, the number of possible draws that will bring your hand closer to tenpai. Naturally, it's a pretty good way to make tenpai quickly, although not necessarily the fastest way for your hand to actually win.

The fundamental technique for building your hand is the "five block method". Since you will (almost) always be winning with four melds and one pair, you can group your hand into "blocks" of two or three tiles that can be used together in some way, either completed melds, or stuff like 45, 468, 112, 99, etc. Some more complicated shapes, like 45567, you can just count as two blocks, without worrying about how to divide it further. If you have 6+ blocks in your hand, discard from the least useful one. Otherwise, look to get rid of a floating tile.

For example, suppose you have this hand:

You might divide up the blocks like this:
(779m) (23p) (55p) (3566s) (BBB)

In this view, the souzu are an oversized block of four tiles, and that 3s doesn't let us make use of any additional tiles, so that's the one to discard. Once you have a solid grasp on visualizing your hand this way, you can start adjusting your block decomposition based on the situation, to try to get the best mix of speed, value, and safety.

Here's a tougher one to chew on. What would you discard from this (fyi the dora is West)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Tamba posted:

1s for tile efficiency, unless you really need the points and want to gamble for iipeikou?

The efficiency is the same, but all else equal 2s is a little better because when we complete the pinzu next, we'll often choose the shanpon wait, in which case we would rather have the pair of 1s. Also, when we instead reach tenpai by drawing the third 1s ourselves, the extra fu are relevant for some runouts. As for iipeikou, it's often worth slowing the hand down a little to keep it open, but not in this exact spot, since we're fairly likely to waste the effort by calling pon on the Chun.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
In fairness the fanfest keynote is the wrong place for it, but if they went this route because of resource constraints being upfront about it would be best.

Like, I can respect picking the bara cat man over whatever concept for bunny bois they would have gone with, if they can really only do one, but they already know that genderlocking will have a bad aftertaste for a lot of people. At least acknowledging that frustration would be good start.

Also, can we at least wait until the expansion is a bit closer before the inevitable thread death spiral?

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Edit: Since I assume I only use it for AOE, so do I just Fire 2 until I don't have enough for that, Flare, then Blizzard 2 until I can recast Fire 3 and repeat?

It works out that the damage you do by casting Fire 2 doesn't justify spending more time in Umbral Ice to get the mp. So basically, you can do something like Fire 3 > Flare > Transpose > Thunder 2/4 > Repeat.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

i spent last night learning how to mahjong and now i wish you could play it while queuing for other duties :(

You can practice against the AI, at least.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
You should also use Transpose before Fire 3 if you have a firestarter proc as you come out of Umbral Ice.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

i got a house :toot:

:respek:

I have that spot as well. It's pretty sweet IMO.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

jokes posted:

That and not realizing 2 is a prime number, but I am also very stupid.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
I did the thing.

I was a bit worried about the possibility of getting exactsies like this, since the wording on the achievement is "over 2000 rating." Turns out it's wrong.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Just eyeballing it, Direct Hit loses about a third of its value because of Inner Release, which puts it a little bit below tenacity.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

tote up a bags posted:

Can anyone help me with the Monk rotation? I can do the double TK opener for the most part, but after that what is the best pattern of skill usage? I know keeping up the various buffs and dots from the bread and butter combo is important, as is weaving the oGCDs, but when do I go into another RoF+TK combo? Every time RoF is up? Do I use internal release every time it's up or do I hold it for 30 so I can have it line up with Riddle of Fire every time?

Basically you shouldn't hold any cooldowns, except Perfect Balance. See here for a detailed explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
The damage buff has a 180s cooldown, so the opportunity cost of spending them on something else is just risking getting unlucky, not the whole 6%. But it would also cannibalize the minor arcana mechanic, so I doubt they really did that.