Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

EponymousMrYar posted:

I'd argue that RDM is simpler than BLM rotations simply because it's more forgiving for movement and even if you mess it up it doesn't take much to correct your White/Black mana levels to where they need to be.

Yeah as a BLM main I would absolutely say that RDM is easier to be competent at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

How many of the 'bots' are actually bots and how many of them are humans?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Bolow posted:

I had a DRG in my Hell's Lid that didn't use any aoe abilities except Dragonfire Dive. In fact they didn't use a single Geirskogul the entire time :v:

Also I've spent the better part of my free time today trying to figure out something to wear with this bow and I haven't a loving clue. How can one of the most gorgeous Bard weapons in the game just not work with anything :psyduck:

I don't know what the model looks like but the icon makes it look very tech-y. Try Ironworks, or maybe the Company Tabard?

vOv fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 7, 2018

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Schneider Heim posted:

How to be that guy, the MSQ indicator on my screen is taunting me every minute I play the game.

IIRC you can turn it off somewhere if it's legitimately bothering you? The people I really don't understand are the people that don't check the 'hide this if I'm all caught up' option so they just have a thing constantly telling them they don't have any more quests.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Some of the thing you can do with Reshade are neat:

Some of them are just a bad idea:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

Leave Sora alone, you monster

I... don't get it.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Chucat posted:

It's not even doing mechanics, it's just sitting around for 3+ minutes waiting for the add phase to happen otherwise Ifrit will chaincast Hellfires while invincible until we all just get bored and die.

I do like that a WHM could solo Twintania in like 3.55 just by letting her enrage and then healing through it. Probably doable by any healer job now.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cythereal posted:

I took a look through the Nexus stuff for FF14, curious as to what's on there, but the majority of it is surprisingly benign - super HD hair and face models, cleaning up overly busy armor models (deleting extraneous straps, mostly), things like that.

On the other hand, reading through comments on the mods revealed that the apparent standard nude mod isn't even free to download, you have to pay for a nude model/texture mod for this game.

What kind of miserably lonely nerd pays real money for that crap?

I installed an HD au ra scales mod because the default texture looks like rear end. I know there's also one that replaces the xaela scales with black instead of blue and makes them shinier, but I'm not sure if I wanna go that edgy.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I say it a lot but it's loving criminal how bad some of textures in this game are. Like, look at Demi-Bahamut's wings:

Also, let us have higher quality shadows. My graphics card can take it, I promise.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

itskage posted:

At least in 14 it's usually case.

The worst thing about it though is that it will give your tank melee DPS gear with slightly higher ilevels which destroys your armor.

It used to get super confused and try to equip i200 crafter gear instead of my i290 crafter gear and I have no clue why.

Also honestly my least favorite mechanic in the game is Acceleration Bomb just because I've had so many instances where I thought i was safe but nope, gently caress you, eat poo poo.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/loafettie/status/972176671028727809

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

What's a good third desynth to level up, anyway? I've been leveling LTW and WVR cause those are fairly common dungeon drops.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

I've got a friend in my FC who's willing to decorate houses given a budget. Would a million gil be reasonable for furnishing a small house?

It might be a bit on the skimpy side, depending on what you want. It'll help a lot if you can craft stuff given mats (or find someone willing to do it, which should include most of the bored goon omnicrafters).

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

Sadly, I'm on a different server with other kinds of nerd trash. What would you suggest, 2 million? 1.5?

If you're on a different server then I dunno what your prices are like, honestly. Sorry :(

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I've never healed in raid roulette but I'm pretty sure they're easy to heal at this point. Rabanastre, on the other hand, looks like it'd be difficult to heal through.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

HenryEx posted:

Ysayle is basically that one lady that faked being a PoC to fight against the social injustice affecting her brothers and sisters.

yikes

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I was reading something online and it put in my head the mental image of someone freaking out when they discover the Warrior of Light taking a nap at the bottom of a bath or in the middle of the ocean because they don't know about the Kojin's Blessing.

Like, I've been scuba diving before, if I could sleep while underwater I totally would.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Eltoasto posted:

I just finished the main story tonight. Do people doing randoms actually have to put up with all those goddamn cutscenes? I mean *I* enjoyed it, but would never want to do it again.

Anyways, what should you do for gear these days once you hit 50, is it worth going out and trying to make/buy armor and weapon, or should I just quest and take what they give along the way? I have that road to 60 buff since I'm on a backwater server so I ended up halfway to level 53 just doing the story/class quests.

Grab what you can from the quests. If you do roulettes and get Allagan tomestones of poetics, you can turn them into item level 120 gear at Mor Dhona, which is only 10 short of the cap for all of 2.X.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cythereal posted:

I'm still struggling with cutscenes forgetting that I'm playing a healer. :v:

I always assumed that gameplay mechanics are heavily divorced from the underlying 'reality' and that saving people from utterly fatal wounds is not actually a thing healers can do.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

This one had occured to me too, actually. Obviously Thordan ate him and then you killed Thordan to death. Presumably his aether would have been absorbed by the eye at that point and been floating around in Shinryu, so maybe he could still exist?

Though personally I'm expecting that his gimmick is that he just can't die, the Empire has a bunch of clone bodies of him stuffed away somewhere and his hosed up engineered Echo means that every time he dies his soul gets forcibly ejected into one of them. I'm also expecting him to be very unhappy about this if they want to give him a redemption arc or have him be the Token Evil Scion.

There is literally no way that Zenos is going to get redeemed, considering that they're already lining up a redemption arc for Yotsuyu, Fordola, or both. IIRC they said they explicitly made Zenos to be turbo-evil after people started sympathizing with Gaius.

Cythereal posted:

New pick for most visually impressive boss I've seen yet: Ozma, in the Weeping City raid.

Agreed 100%, especially the sound design.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ironically, you can't clear O5N without healers doing DPS because of the ghosts, but the O5S ghosts don't require healers to DPS.

(yeah I guess you could let the healers die in O5N and let a non-BLM caster raise them but ssh)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm terrified to tank, because whenever a swarm of enemies comes out, I never seem to be able to hold aggro on all of them. :smith:

There's sometimes going to be a couple that get away on huge pulls, just use your ranged pull ability (or Abyssal Drain if you're DRK) and voke/ultimatum. It's only really a problem if someone drops below like 1/4 health.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I haven't really gotten much into the Eureka hellgrind but I do like the idea that getting multiple relics isn't much harder than getting one.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Eltoasto posted:

Are bards actually in demand? I figured since they got the rework to be mobile that the game would be flush with them.

So I got to level 60 and finished up HW (it owned) as a dragoon, which was a good choice because it fit the story well. But I've never been a melee dps in games and generally enjoy playing healers and ranged dps. This seems like a good time to boost a 60 and continue the story on a class I plan to play at endgame. How are WHM's at leveling and doing solo stuff?

BRD has plenty of players since it's apparently in a really enjoyable spot and is better at the 'support' role than MCH.

Every job can do solo stuff. Healers will do it slower but that's just because they have less DPS.

I don't have a 70 WHM but my understanding is that it's the best for dungeon running since you can chain-spam Holy for shittons of DPS and damage mitigation (you get 10 seconds total of stun on the mobs if you do it right). Out of the healers and ranged DPS (not sure if you're including casters in this, since people generally distinguish between SMN/BLM/RDM and BRD/MCH) the only one I'd actively avoid is MCH, since the gameplay is just really unpleasant to me at the moment.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Yeah I'm not a raid healer by any means but I also enjoy 'oh gently caress everyone is dying oh gently caress oh gently caress' far more than 'welp, time to toss out a regen on the tank and spam my single DPS ability forever'.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

so on Sunday I found out that a BLM can survive O6S's Earthquake if they have Manaward up (and they have the fire resist) and I guess I'm never getting in the plane again

healers adjust

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Before I try this and get mocked by my static when I die, how much HP do you have/do I need to addle it.

I have something like 41k base HP, but I survived pretty comfortably. But I think I also had some shields from our DRK/WAR as well as an Apoc from our other caster. Sorry :shrug:

e: static mate says it hits for 45k base, so you'll be fine with a Manaward.

vOv fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 24, 2018

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Thumbtacks posted:

I did sigmascape for the first time yesterday and Kefka feels like a fight made for Savage. Like there’s so much potential for fucky mechanics with confusion and the weird tower but I feel like normal doesn’t utilize either super well. I did enjoy it, though, and I’m curious about Omegascape or whatever they’ll call the last third. I hope sephiroth shows up but I know he won’t

Also XIV Kefka looks a lot like Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn and I don’t know how I feel about that

They literally design fights for Savage and nerf mechanics until they're satisfied.

Also his model and animations are straight from Dissidia.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

How much will I hate myself if I use my RDM/SMN gear on my BLM? I stack crit preferentially and direct hit under that, but I could theoretically get a couple anemos BLM pieces and meld them up with spell speed if it would significantly increase tolerance for mistakes.

Are you raiding on BLM? If you're not then who cares, if you are then why aren't you gearing for it?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Yeah, I'm not planning to raid on BLM, but I'd like to be able to do Byakko/Shinryu EX on it without wanting to die if I'm 0.2 seconds late getting back from a mechanic.

You are always going to feel like this sometimes no matter how much spellspeed you have, hth :v:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

while we're at it I with BLM had more actually good casting animations. Their oGCDs are good (especially Triplecast) but the actual GCD animation just doesn't do it for me. SCH/SMN's feels way more dynamic.

The effects are generally pretty good tho.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I thought that casting animations didn't have race/gender differences?

e: for reference I'm a Xaela.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Yeah, gpose is fun.

Are those glyphs on your sword part of the model or the animation? Either way, what weapon/ability is it?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

EponymousMrYar posted:

Looks like Caladbolg Anemos. The ability is definitely Blood Weapon and it's always done that.

Makes me wish I had taken some screenshots when chaining Bloodbath and Blood Weapon together, because then I'd hold up the sword while the glyphs were still there and it looked almost as metal as that.

Huh, I have DRK at 62 and I guess I never looked too closely at it.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I saw the water toss coming, and I still howled like a banshee when it happened.

Same but the guy just smashing his phone into the tree and going WOOOOOOOO YEAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ride The Gravitron posted:

I haven't played this in like 2 years...I feel the itch again

There's a free login campaign going on right now. Do it.