Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
So is there any point in sitting in The Fringes trying to get into the Raubahn instance? Or should I just give up and go play another game for a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
So the Stormblood MSQ has a few mentions of a Hyur and a Lalafell pair following you, e.g. here and here, and I don't think it ever got resolved who they were or why they were following us. I suppose it could be Raubahn and Pipin from the description but that doesn't make sense to me. Anyone able to shed some light on this?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

SL the Pyro posted:

I'm ashamed to admit that I one-run'd Susano Extreme with full Slaying right-sides on my tank.

It's shameful because the picture of the future this paints is awful. People are going to have issues in DPS checks when the actual raid content rolls in and tanks are going to respond with "lemme put on my i270 accessories" and get mashed into the loving ground by every tank buster. Even with full Fending on my WAR with the maximum possible HP in the game, Susano EX's Stormsplitter does 95% of my HP without cooldowns, which may as well be instant death because of the auto-attack that immediately shaves off the rest (and because most pubbie tanks I've ran with don't have the sense to Provoke during Stormsplitter's cast bar instead of after). Future bosses are going to hit several magnitudes harder.
How do you hit the ilvl requirement with 270 right side? Is the game actually dumb enough to let you queue in gear that meets the requirement and then switch out once you get into the duty?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

It does, yes. It's pretty annoying when people do it.

That seems like a bug/exploit which will be patched eventually, right?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

MotU posted:

every single fight i can fall off a thing i do so this was probably the most stressful fight for me ever

ive literally never beaten a titan outside normal without falling off :3:

Is this a general problem with failing to get out of AoEs in time? If so you might want to turn on "legacy movement" in your character settings - I didn't discover this until several months after I started playing and it made things enormously easier.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
So I'm a SMN main who hasn't even bothered doing the quest to unlock SCH yet, but these DPS queue times are tempting me to pick it up. What are the best things to run to get the hang of healing in this game? Obviously I'd start with Hall of the Novice and then Sastasha, but what should I do after that to make sure I'm ready to do Expert Roulette, Trials, etc?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Just keep doing story and job quests. Be sure to check out the 50 and 60 dungeons!

To clarify: because I have SMN at 70 I already will have SCH at 70 the moment it's unlocked. That means I won't pick up experience as I level, because there's no leveling to do. So I'm looking for advice on what to do to substitute for that.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Servers are up.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Love that the first boss of Omega is literally the Alt-Right.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Deltascape was solid (and screw all the FFV crap, the story was excellent because it remembered Midgardsormr existed). V3 was by far my favorite fight, and it'll be exciting to see all the ways PUGs can screw it up!

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

pray for my aunt posted:

Uhh big hats every day?

The Shire casting tophat was amazing and I glamoured it onto my head slot up until the high 60s.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

nuru posted:

Make all the bathing suits raid only. The outrage would be incredible.

Glamour crystals should only drop from savage raids.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Renegret posted:

The time part isn't that big a deal because of swiftcast, but it also means no fast rezes for a full minute. A single raise isn't too bad on MP either, the problem comes when you have to do it repeatedly.

Personally if there's another healer I don't automatically pick someone up because I assume the other healer's gonna do it. Pretty funny when both healers have that mindset and the person never gets picked up for no good reason.

As a SMN I'll usually toss a swiftraise at someone if I don't see the healers do it in a few seconds and I've got MP to spare. Not like I have anything else worth using swiftcast for.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

BrightWing posted:

Ugh, fiiiiine, thanks.

So boring.

Also do your GC turn-ins daily, they give ridiculous XP and the NQ materials you pick up along the way can be sold on the MB for decent money (or kept if you're a crafter).

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Servers are up.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Healers, not tanks, have been the bottleneck in most of the PF parties I've been in since Stormblood came out, especially the extreme primals. Not sure how to square this with tanks getting the In Need bonus in roulettes but it's definitely been the case.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Has anyone found Y'shtola or Krile in the world somewhere after the Stormblood MSQ? I found Alphinaud and Alisaie in The Barber in Rhalgr's Reach (and Alisaie has an excellent line of dialogue there), and Lyse is in the command tent in NE Rhalgr's Reach.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Nicaden posted:

After a few runs at Susano EX, I heard my party members talking about the enrage timer and how close we were cutting it each attempt. I was wondering if there was a way to keep track of when a boss will enrage? My teammates seem to know exactly when the boss will enrage, and I was hoping to find out how they know.

All of the mechanics in Susano happen based on time, not HP. The enrage happens just after the third Gaol phase. So it's pretty easy to judge how close you were.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Sade posted:

I'm lv70 and I've never done a guildhest ever.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
I also only bothered to unlock the Gold Saucer in the last week before Stormblood. I really regret doing it because now my chat is constantly spammed with messages about where I can or can't play Triple Triad.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Harrow posted:

Speaking of great music, I'd like to nominate the Azim Steppe theme for "drat near the best music in the expansion but it really needs a longer loop":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR3yMqpaCrU&t=251s

Agreed. I immediately spent all my Centurio Seals on its orchestrion roll once I hit 70--much more important than dumb materia.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Magil Zeal posted:

There is at least one thing that is important for gear that you can't buy with tomestones and that's grade VI materia. The current system of only really being able to get it via hunts isn't great but it's not from tomestones.

The expert roulette dungeons seem to be dropping grade V and VI materia like candy though. Isn't that how most people do the weekly tomestone grind? So it's not like you're really doing anything different to get materia than you are to get tomestones.

(That said, randomly doing hunts to break up my crafting/gathering leveling grind has been a lot of fun over the last week or so. Glad I joined that hunt linkshell.)

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 12, 2017

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

nuru posted:

After the talk that explained why it took so long for WoW's default starting bag to be increased from 16 slots I'm afraid to learn much about how Square handles inventories.

Can you link that? It sounds fascinating.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Drizvolta posted:

There's a housing item

There's also an achievement ("Dataq Is Cheap") for completing the last FATE in the chain.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Yeah. The problem is that the triple turn-in leves give 50% more xp then others of the same level, but the gain in XP from doing higher-level leves is much less than that (maybe like 5-10% more XP for a 62 leve than for a 60 leve, for example). So you still win by doing the triple turn-ins. Also most/all of the crafting classes have a triple turn-in leve that requires an intermediate material rather than a finished product (wood or thread or leather vs. a finished product), so not only does it give better XP it's actually significantly less work to make. Yes you get more XP for making all the intermediate mats in the process of crafting the finished product, but not nearly enough to make it worth it.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this isn't even true, though. the mol are the leader of the steppe warriors now. you simply leverage hien's relationship with them into having them help with doma.

This doesn't contradict the post you quoted. Leader != leading tribe (or more precisely you're an honorary member of the Mol after doing Bardam's Mettle and so your tribe = the ruling tribe = the Mol). Go back and talk to the various tribe leaders--it's pretty explicit in their dialogue.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Yeah, that's wrong. You were acting as a warrior fighting in the name of the Mol. Just cause you were the one that ultimately claimed the territory doesn't make you head of the Mol.

Did you miss the many many times in the MSQ after that point you're addressed as khagan?

e.g. Magnai's dialogue after the end of the MSQ: ...for you are the khagan...for now.

I don't think this is supposed to be confusing.

EDIT: It's true that you're not the head of the Mol, but you *are* the khagan.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

It is very amusing to me that all everyone discusses is the Azim Steppes. Fringes, Peaks, Ruby Sea, Yanxia, Lochs? Nope. It's all the Steppes. Square-Enix did something very right with the Steppes and something very wrong with the other regions.

IMO a lot of it is about the music. In the Azim Steppes it's *amazing*; that choral action gives me chills. The Ala Mhigo music is nothing special (except for the national anthem motif which is nice but not really actively present in the zone music) and Yanxia's music was actively grating to me.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Failboattootoot posted:

The only character that's conventionally good in any sense of the word is Alisaie. Everyone else is a 1 note trope that hasn't developed at all in the now 4 years of playing this game, including the one who just starred throughout an entire expansion.
ftfy

(Alphinaud is a man-child whose recent marginal competence doesn't come anywhere near making up for his catastrophic gently caress-ups in the past.)

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

bewilderment posted:

Were Alphinaud and Alisaie a part of 1.0 at all?
I know in 1.0 their dad (grandfather?) Louisoix was a big deal, but playing through the 2.0 MSQ the quest to me seemed to go:

- Here's some weird looking twins rolling into town with you
- Meet the Scions of the Seventh Dawn (which they don't show up for)
- Go to the three speeches, oh hey here's the two twins acting kind of like jerks every time and being mysterious
- Alphinaud: "AFTER THESE TRAGIC EVENTS I AM HERE TO BRING BACK THE SCIONS"

Did I miss something in between step 3 and 4 there somewhere where the other people are like "oh yeah those white haired folks? They're with us" or is that it.

Their grandfather was not just a big deal in general, but was the founder of the Scions (back when they were called the Archons or something like that, never actually played 1.0). So the twins are benefiting big time from nepotism.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Failboattootoot posted:

Alisaie is a trash character and you completely missed my point. Like yeah, I like Alisaie, she is a likable character and Alphinaud isn't as affable but being likable doesn't make her a good character at loving all. She is, "The brash youth who wants to cut through the bullshit to get poo poo done." and has absolutely no other aspects to her character. None. 0. That is her entire existence. She functions as a tool to throw at a plotpoint when cutting through the bullshit is what's needed and otherwise has no relevance.
...I mean, I wasn't really seriously arguing that Alphinaud was a terrible character (I agree he's gone through a lot of character development and I'll take him over e.g. Tataru any day), but I don't recognize this description of Alisaie at all. For one thing she isn't even the brash character in the expansion, that's Lyse. For another she has a whole bunch of character traits, e.g. her relationship with Alphinaud and her sarcastic comments (including some of the best lines in the expansion) and her hatred of the primals for exploiting people's hopes (which started as a result of the events of the Binding Coil, carried through the Ga Bu saga in the 3.x quests, and heavily influences her reaction to Lakshmi in the Stormblood MSQ) and her struggle to come to terms with her grandfather's legacy (which she approaches totally differently than her brother does) and her weird part-mentor part-romantic relationship with Urianger. Maybe some of this isn't as apparent if you've never done the Binding Coil, but I don't understand how you could miss picking up on all of it to the extent you concluded Alisaie's only character trait is wanting to cut through bullshit.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 13, 2017

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

I, uh, can't say I ever picked up on that one.

The romantic part is basically only on Urianger's part, it's pretty creepy.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 13, 2017

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Countblanc posted:

urianger calls her "my lady" but he calls literally all the female characters that

Hmm, maybe it's just this. Definitely parsed their interactions in 3.x (where Urianger seemed more ashamed of deceiving Alisaie than the rest of the Scions re the Warriors of Darkness stuff) and when he shows up abruptly to hand over the aetherial siphon in Stormblood that way. But hiking back to the Waking Sands I see that it's Moenbryda he refers to as "my dearest", so maybe not.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Countblanc posted:

I hope they're adding some sort of Verity sink in 4.05. Like a pet that costs 1,800 verity or something, I just have so much and nothing to spend it on.

Yeah, it seems to be pretty useless unless you're gearing multiple combat jobs at the same time.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

nuru posted:

My squad still isn't fifty. Am I missing out on anything? I basically stopped when I got my gc rank up.

It was a good way to get an efficient stream of crafting and gathering scrips in 3.x. Haven't leveled a DoH or DoL to 70 yet, so not sure if it gives yellow scrips once you do; if it stays with red scrips though once it's basically useless at this point.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Any news on SMN changes? Are we getting Miasma II back or is that just SCH?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Also, Miasma II would have been nice as a non-Aetherflow AOE option on noted dead gay class SMN.

(Insert Tri-Bind joke here)

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's something to break up the MSQ, isn't it?

Waiting until 60 has the benefit of not having to wade through hordes of trash mobs on the way to your quest objectives, though.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

SonicRulez posted:

Is Yojimbo a primal? I was pretty sure he wasn't.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Yojimbo_(summon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Thumbtacks posted:

I know I shouldn't be super irritated by it but I'm upset that you can't solo heal Lakshmi (or you can, but it's super difficult)

solo healing susano's not nearly as bad, and that's almost entirely due to there not being any healer-specific mechanics

Susano has boulders, which are definitely healer-specific (at least for 2 of the 3 of them). What are the healer-specific mechanics in Lakshmi?