Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

Lyse, formerly known as Yda, the dimwitted and energetic comic relief character, suddenly becomes an extremely serious character in this expansion.

Lyse and Yda are for all purposes two entirely separate characters and the writers just didn't want to do a Yda death scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Zenos is alright, other than having a toddler's face.

Excuse you, Villain Barron is awesome.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Compelling.

Compared to Yda, Lyse has a different name, different appearance, a different personality, different motivations, and different relationships with different characters. The only thing they share is being a Monk and I guess the Ala Mhigan backstory, something that's shared with many other characters in the game who also have different names, appearances, personalities, motivations, and relationships.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SonicRulez posted:

Yeah, at the point "different appearance" makes a list of reasons why a character is fundamentally different, I think reaching is going on. That's ridiculous.

Would someone unfamiliar with the game look at Yda and Lyse and reasonably conclude that they're the same character? Probably not.

Would someone unfamiliar with the game look at Leather Vest Lyse and Flowing Monk Dress Lyse and reasonably conclude that they're the same character?

Of course you can draw a line from Yda to Lyse. I'm saying that Lyse is, in practice, a totally new character designed to go through Stormblood alongside you and learn and develop (much like Estinien/Ysayle), and Square decided to retcon Yda into Lyse rather than killing Yda off and going through an introduction process with New-Lyse. This was made especially apparent when it turned out all the Scions, save you, knew all along that Yda was secretly Lyse, saving them the trouble of having to go through several scenes where the Scions deal with the revelation of this years-long deception and deal with the grief of Yda's death.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh man the Royal Menagerie was absolutely a perfect way to cap off Stormblood and it makes me retroactively angry(ier) at previous boss fight designs from a certain other MMO.

The final few levels of Stormblood felt like a whirlwind tour but on the whole a very good expansion. Looking forward to the EX fights.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

EXDR, Primal EXs, Elite Hunts, is there anything else to unlock after 70/MSQ is done?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Captain Oblivious posted:

My thoughts on these HUGE loving SPOILERS

I also suspect that, to make the parallel more effective, one of them will actually learn something from the experience and the other will double down.

It's gonna be Yotsuyu for sure. Fordola doesn't have anyone "mentoring" her except an incredibly contemptuous Lyse. Yotsuyu is forced to interact continuously with a highly honorable, selfless Gosetsu.

That's before you even get into how Yotsuyu had a "tragic" backstory and Fordola had nothing presented justifying her throwing her lot in with Zenos.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Quicktongue VI

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thundarr posted:

That's practically a gimmie. The long shot is having him show up as a mid-fight mechanic somewhere during one of the savage raids.

Hildibrand shows up during the inevitable rematch against Yojimbo. The fight is already goofy so it's a perfect fit.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What's my meld priority as tank? I've been going Direct Hit > Strength > Crit. I read Tenacity is useless right now and the above stats seem to outweigh Determination.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My group spent about a dozen attempts on Susano EX tonight, shuffling through an increasingly worse series of 4th pubbie DPS, before swapping in a FC member. Even so, on our victorious attempt we had a full party wipe except myself (as PLD) and the Red Mage at 5% health. The RDM spent his last moments of life Verraising our Scholar, who delayed just long enough to avoid the raid AOE to rez then activate LB3 for a full resurrect with Susano at 8% with 40 seconds remaining.

We cleared him with 0 seconds remaining until the enrage. It's been a long while since I've seen hype levels that high. REJOICE~

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The final boss is fantastic and I enjoy helping pubbies clear the fight -- as long as they show an actual capability to learn. Too many of them get complacent after enough wipes and get worse at the fight despite being trained (via trial & error) into what mechanics to avoid in which ways. I tend to drop these groups since it's clear they don't learn from either explanations or experience.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SettingSun posted:

Just finished the Warrior 70 quest and it was drat good, but didn't really involve me at all. I'm still the best WAR, but I'll help these two other WARs hook up I guess.

To be the greatest wingman is to be the premier tankman.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Playing around with Samurai I'm a little surprised that they identified ahead of time a potential problem with Samurai's kit (Gekko/Kasha are for all intents and purposes the same skill aside from giving you different Sen) and solved it by giving them Kenki bonuses based on position, when the exact same issue exists with Red Mage (Veraero/Verthunder are essentially the same skill, you just use whatever you haven't used yet to fill up your job meter) without an according bonus to help differentiate them.

Jinpu and Shifu also are essentially the same, but that the two buffs do different things helps make the decision about which to prioritize based on how the fight is progressing more interesting.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Minrad posted:

Finally looked at and set up bars for every job up to level 70

lol that paladin has more buttons than every other class in the game. like even setting aside cooldown they're 2 or 3 core rotation buttons ahead of other tanks and dps.

True but deceptive, SAM and NIN have way more relevant buttons than PLD. The enmity combo is basically only relevant for the first three GCDs of a fight (sometimes not even that), and Goring Blade is a very important DOT that you have to track.

Outside these two it's a balance between Royal Authority and Holy Spirit. Speaking as a PLD who played through the previous two versions of the game I like the current iteration quite a lot in terms of mechanical complexity.

There's three distinct phases I transition throughout with good damage optimization in each phase. Simplifying it further would bring us back to Heavensward days (if not worse) in terms of "Do X, then do Y, you're finished."

Their cooldowns are also still pretty simple to handle. Fight or Flight when you need to dump Goring Blade / Circle of Scorn. Rampart for general heavy damage phases. Sentinel for busters. Indomitable Will for pulls/pushes. Hallowed Ground for "Holy poo poo please God healer LB3 asap". Intervention to help the tank when you're offtanking, else Sheltron. Bulwark for infinite mana while Holy Cleaving. Reprisal for busters / raid pulses. Divine Veil for raid pulses, Passage of Arms for raid busters.

I like Shield Lob for pulls and it also gives you an option for ranged combat that isn't mana reliant. Shield Swipe is good for dungeons / PVP.

I vaguely agree that PLD has a lot of buttons but it never feels overwhelming nor does it feel extraneous.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

They still should be Chemists. :colbert:

Seriously. Just straight up lift the FF5 Mix system for their big mechanic. It'd be like Ninja Mudras, mix together two components (out of probably four or five?) to get a specific potion effect.

After three magical healers it'd be nice to have a Machinist-style "mundane" healer.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MMF Freeway posted:

I don't see how blue mage could thematically match being a tank besides maybe mighty guard. Dancer is at least uhh dodgy

Blue Mage literally has to be hit to use Blue Magic.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Holyshoot posted:

And they will get their skills how? This is 2017, there is no way they are going to make it like ffxi where you have to go fight mobs to get actual skills which is what all you people want.

:confused:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Countblanc posted:

This is like the most easily solved issue. You get them from class quests where you hunt is study a specific monster. Or gently caress, you just learn them as you level up because you have the echo and are uniquely qualified to remember seeing Bad Breath 100 times in your adventuring history. I don't know why you think I care about getting hit to learn poo poo.

Same but for Chemist and using items as abilities and not actually consuming them from inventory like some people somehow think SE would actually implement that.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Glagha posted:

The weeb part isn't the whole quick draw sword attack bit, it's the very anime rendition of "re-sheathing your sword for no reason to then draw and attack with it because it looks cool" bit.

Looking cool is the entire idea :c00l:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

We did. its called FFXIV. Don't like it? Go find some hyper masculine westernized 1-2-3 combo MMO to play. Oh yeah, WOW exists. Go there. And leave us "weaboos" alone. You will never understand or appreciate the history or symbolism apparent in Kugane as a virtual place. You don't deserve it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I've been leveling an Archer and I swear there's something screwy going on with Heavy Shot's 20% chance to proc Straighter Shot. It genuinely feels way more like 10%. Every time I check how many procs I got after a boss fight (and as a sub-30 Archer I do basically nothing else except Heavy Shot in boss fights aside from refreshing durations) it's hovering between 5% and 10%.

This has been going on over three days. Am I having an exceptional run of bad luck / clustering illusion, or is there something going on?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

isk posted:

Anecdotally, I've seen considerably more tanks than healers in my hunt groups. Really what I'd recommend is to focus on the job you find more fun.

It took much longer to find healers for my trial PFs this past week, but the tanks were of abysmal quality.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What exactly determines if Susano will knock you back? I thought it was from crossing the HFIL while having the storm cloud marker on you, but I've been knocked back while staying in the left side (again with the storm mark).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

The boss of Kugane Castle is really really cool in concept but desperately needs a harder revision of the fight because the gimmick is tuned so low I've never seen anyone miss more than one collectable even on a first run.

EXDR is easy already and I'm not even fully geared.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sharkopath posted:

The Warrior of Light is the biggest and strongest man possible because only someone of titanic proportions and immovable frame can hold back the uncaring heavens from crushing fair Eorzea.

Go Roeg or Go Home.

The Warrior of Light is a handsome, rugged highlander starting to grey from the stresses of bearing Eorzea's ills upon his broad shoulders. Paladins are always Protagonists.

(I wish this game had more beard options.)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

homeless snail posted:

Its a REALLY tall bridge

... How was it built? If no one can go down to the bottom unless they're magical?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Nihilism is a hell of a drug.

If anything that's caring-too-much instead of nihilism.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

nuru posted:

Someone pick MCH, NIN, or MNK for me. I main SCH and have gotten the hang of SMN, but I wanted to be a not-caster DPS this expansion.

Everything I've heard from my friend who's a Ninja main is that the job is very fun to play now with multiple decisions to be made at any given moment instead of going through a rote progression.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If you keep getting 1% wipes on Susano then that usually means your DPS is dying too much. Have them ensure that they know what to do about : 1) Churning dice, 2) Storm Cloud placement 3) Stone Gaols breaking. If they're nailing all these mechanics then start looking at rotations. The above assumes they're handling Levinbolts / Jumps properly.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

* Since tank angle doesn't determine the thin strip of safe zone, should I be angled off one way or the other instead?

Don't angle him exactly northwards or it causes issues with thunderclouds. When I tank I orient him so roughly 50% of his butt is in the HFIL and the other 50% of the rear is accessible to my melee.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

* Is Reprisal worth taking for Ukehi? I have seen PLDs Passage-of-Arms it and I want to help the same way. My actions are presently Shirk, Provoke, Convalescence, Rampart, ???.

Reprisal is very good and is part of my standard loadout combined with the four other actions you name here.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Futzed around with a bunch of DPS jobs to complement my Paladin after I got him maxed out. Machinist feels like poo poo with the new Heat mechanic (especially with overheating being a dps loss and with literally everything revolving around Wildfire leaving you to do jack poo poo except 123 and Gauss Round I guess for 50 out of 60 seconds), Red Mage is too basic, Samurai was too linear, then I discovered Bard. Holy poo poo this job is actually fun and leaves me with plenty of buttons to press each GCD, and the Songs change what I'm focused on every 30 seconds, and the support abilities and role actions mesh great with my penchant for healing/defense which is why I picked up PLD in the first place.

I especially like how the basic gameplay loop is a really basic underlying chord (get the two DOTs up, Heavy Shot) with occasional flourishes and riffs (Songs, oGCDs). Feels very music-like. A+ design.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

As a tank, Convalescence is what I pop after "Oh poo poo I just took a lot of damage"

Everything else is what I pop before "Oh poo poo I'm about to take a lot of damage"

nuru posted:

What level was your MCH? The Heat mechanic makes no sense until 64, more or less.

62. Does it really get better once you get Barrel Stabilizer? I don't see that it really solves the "Everything revolves around Wildfire" / "Overheating is a DPS loss" problem, especially with the cooldown it has.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kaubocks posted:

new to ffxiv, been playing gladiator, got up to level 30, started the level 30 gladiator quest

this is the first quest in the game i've failed and boy howdy am i failing spectacularly-- failed it five times so far!!

anyway that's my ffxiv story thanks for listening

The ARR-era job duties are actually surprisingly difficult if you aren't prepared for it. Is this the GLD quest that's on the bridge? I failed that like four times in a row before I finally pulled it off by a hair a couple years ago.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Frankly I've never bothered with Awareness. Does it have any actual impact in serious for-real fights?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rainuwastaken posted:

I want to shoot people but Bard's skillset just doesn't interest me in the slightest.

:laugh: I love how this is literally part of the Bard quest line, that everyone looks at Bard and goes "pfft? music?"

You're missing out, they're really fun to play right now and are one of the better designed jobs.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rainuwastaken posted:

The music part doesn't bother me; I actually really enjoy being able to support my team. The new ranged TP/MP restores make me feel real useful, and when I play melee I feel like a champ being able to use Goad now. Bard getting a sweet toot flute is far from a downside.

My main issue with the class is that, to my understanding, the basic gameplay loop is babysitting two DoTs while mashing one attack ad infinitum. I really wish they would just give ranged DPS a proper combo class that doesn't rely on fishing for procs, but I guess that's the domain of melee. If that's not how Bard plays then feel free to correct me.

You're right, you want Stormbite and Caustic Bite up, then refresh them every 30 seconds with Iron Jaws, while keeping Straighter Shot up and using Heavy Shot on cooldown. That's the basic line, but it gets more complicated quickly when you start mixing in songs and their oGCDs.

You'll rotate through three songs, all of them run off your DOTs critting which gives you a Repertoire. All 3 songs give 2% crit to the party. Wanderer's Minuet gives you a stack of Pitch Perfect for each Repertoire, you want to burn these when you hit 3 stacks (or 2 if you have absurdly high crit%) for 420 potency. Mage's Ballad instantly resets your Bloodletter every time your DOTs crit. Army's Paeon gives you 4% haste per Repertoire up to 4x.

Then on top of that you add in Empyreal Arrow which gives you a free Repertoire stack each time it's used, Refulgent Arrow which consumes a Straighter Shot proc, and Barrage which you want to use on Refulgent Arrow ideally but probably will be using on Empyreal Arrow.

It's not a combo class, no, but there's so much stuff going on you're never lacking buttons to push. Rotating between three songs does a lot for keeping it varied, too, instead of repeating the same actions for the entire fight.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cythereal posted:

Discovery: the Square-Enix mess of websites is the most convoluted and unintuitive I've ever seen.

Square-Enix is very bad at the Internet

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

The mounts we have already are FF6 style. These are different.

FF6's concept art is what we currently have for the Magitek mounts. FF6's sprite art is what's being added for Magitek mounts.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

I should play ff6 again, last time was high school.

Try a Natural Magic playthrough. Honestly the Magicite system ends up flattening characters. Natural Magic makes you really push for their strengths and improvements in every fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So is it gonna be Deltascape, Betascape, Alphascape, to have the whole Alpha:Omega thing, or what?

What happened to "Bend of Time" // "Cleft of Dimension"?