Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BrightWing posted:

Not to distract from SCH chat, which is important, but anyone else get the feeling that GNB is PLD but better?

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hey Minfilia, let me see what you have?

"A knife!!"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
how do you even math out DRK when the frey tooltip is like "summons a guy!! have fun"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vitamean posted:

easy enough

Ah I see you're also a drk main

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
do we know what the DNC buffs do other than the crit/dhit one?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
no but you might want to be a tank or healer to get faster dungeon queues if you care about that since there's a good amount of mandatory group content along the way

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Schubalts posted:

Every class can solo just fine. You are going to level slower than if you spend time running dungeons, though.

well kinda, you get a deluge of exp from just doing the main storyline (which you must do). youd technically level faster just spamming dungeons but since you have to do the story anyway that doesn't really mean much on your first job.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

sunaurus posted:

I always enjoy tanking most in MMO games but I've been leveling as a dragoon because I was told that it's a huge waste to use MSQ exp on a tank, considering the fact that it's easy to level a tank through dungeons. I got a bit bored of being DPS, though, so I've been trying out marauder. It's 10 levels behind my dragoon right now and I think I'll be setting the dragoon aside so I can continue the MSQ as a tank after all, it's just much more fun for me.

The only thing I'm worried about is MSQ dungeons as a tank. The early dungeons have been pretty straight-forward (as far as I can tell), do they get more complicated as I get to higher level ones? Would you guys consider it rude to queue as the tank without knowing anything about the dungeons I'm queueing for?

it's absolutely not rude, and while FFXIV's playerbase has a lot of weird quirks, "welcoming for new players" is something it excels at so never be shy to ask for help ingame or to announce you're new. i mean I'm sure eventually you'll bump into someone who is a jerk about it, but they're very, very much in the minority in this game.

as for complexity, it definitely ramps up but after level 50 the game starts to develop a standard language for mechanics - "circle with four arrows pointing into the center" means to stack in that circle to split the damage, "evil glowing eye on the enemy model" means to look away from the coming attack, etc. unfortunately that doesn't really fully solidify until later but once it does it's very easy to enter new content and to learn as you go.

i will say that keeping your gear updated as a tank is more important than other roles but that's very easy to do. ffxiv has very few uses for money aside from just buying gear and teleporting until you go deep down the cosmetics/housing hole, so don't be shy about buying upgrades to patch in gear holes as you blast through levels.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
oh one last tank tip - bosses in most content are honestly easier than trash once you understand the mechanics, it's very rare that a dungeon boss is threatening by virtue of just doing a lot of damage to the tank constantly (assuming your gear is up to date). this means saving cooldowns for bosses is pretty much a waste, so don't be shy about rotating your tanking cooldowns on trash since it opens up the healer to deal more damage, which is basically just proactive healing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't think I've ever zoned into any sub-30 dungeon and thought "ah, finally, a nice break"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nessus posted:

Didn't YoshiP said there's a couple that are plot spoilers which is why they didn't show them yet?

I'd guess Krile (for another healer option) and possibly someone capable of tanking so you don't have to lean on Thancred.

e: I guess we actually have a SCH and a AST so no WHM is necessary.

He mentioned Thancred won't be available for the 71 dungeon, meaning some currently-unknown trust will be the tank. Presumably some new story character.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm really glad people are excited for Trusts but it's also kinda weird to me since I very much doubt grinding dungeons with trusts will be good exp and it's never been particularly difficult to ask a friend or linkshell person to heal the single run needed to progress the MSQ, especially since if you want to run with one friend you need to fill all the slots with human players. Maybe I'm wrong and it'll actually be worth repeating dungeons but I sort of doubt it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The best katana is the one from Bardam's, I use it for every glam

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The dancer titan weapons still just be two boulders

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Today's the day NA house demolition has gone through. If you've been looking for something, now's the time.

On Lamia there's 1-3 empty plots per ward average right now.

they're still overwhelmingly full of bots, at least on excalibur. a friend of mine has been trying to get a house for a while now and it's always 5-10 people running macros at the placard, and today is no different. it's at the point where some of his friends stand around like scarecrows hoping to deter people from even bothering and there's still macro-users lining up

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

we should have let the First be destroyed

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hien has the line about Seiryuu's Wall being a cooler name so he's good

Also it's blowing my mind that people are saying Stormblood had bad villains when it gave us sexy thespian and fellow psychogamer Zenos

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Every bad and edgy character in JRPGS: Ught I' ma dark knight but deep down I'm trying to do good I'm just so angry and can't connect with people and like to just kill my opponents instead of letting them get away. My powers are....hard to control and you wouldn't understand

Zenos: AHAHA YES! kill my army, you're so loving cool. Punch me in the face so I can get ready to fight you.

Just so!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont know if solus is telling the truth here or not (or how much of the truth), but i just hope that line isn't the 5.0 end-of-msq stinger. im gonna be a grumpy gus if we need to wait another 4 months to learn what's up there.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

UHD posted:

some people legit think that telegraphs are the echo telling you where not to stand :shrug:

they are

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
im leveling RDM first purely because brandishing a sword looks better than a book, staff, or astrolabe in cutscenes

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the best thing wow combat has over ffxiv is that movement abilities actually work how a person who has ever played any video game ever would assume, in that it moves your hitbox along with the animation. meanwhile ffxiv teleports your avatar to a million simultaneous timelines and realities where you exist in all locations at once until the animation completes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
alphinaud can't be a scholar because a scholar is an actual Thing, and he isnt one. scholar doesnt mean "person who works in academia" in ffxiv land, at least with regard to one's combat expertise - it means "this person studied nymian marine techniques and fights alongside a fairy partner", which he doesn't.

basically if alphy called himself a scholar it'd be stolen valor and i'd be forced to give him a stern lecture.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it sounds badass

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Thundarr posted:

It's it Acamedician or Academician? Because the second is actually a word that exists but I've seen the former used a couple of times now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Only man has the wisdom -- and the clarity -- to embrace verbosity for its own sake.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

goodbye small fucker

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the first has Silversmiths instead of Goldsmiths

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

true hero babey

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
No way, that 0ms ping would be great

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

You should try another game, like

therapy

weirdo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Verranicus posted:

Can someone explain the RDM changes to me like I'm an idiot? What's different about the rotation?

AoE is now like single target, you alternate Verthunder II / Veraero II (fast casts) with Scatter (slow cast, upgrades to Impact later on) instead of just spamming Scatter. Enchanted Moulinet is 20/20 mana instead of 30/30.

Single target is basically identical but you press the Scorch button (which replaces Jolt II after Verholy/flare) which gives iirc 5/5 mana. Reprise isn't used in your standard rotation, iirc The Balance discord says it looks like you'll only really use it for delaying your melee combo if necessary or as a last resort for movement

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

You have a new skill after flare/holy. You have a displacement for cowards and an ogcd mana dump. You have an aoe thunder/aero. Mostly QoL otherwise.

Reprise isn't ogcd

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Just instant then?

Yeah. It's 10/10 mana for 300 potency (it's also ranged if Enchanted). If the numbers stay the same as the April build we saw it will be used very sparingly, but those might change - it really depends on if SE designed it to be a galaxy brain minmax tool for people with brain worms like me to optimize and otherwise mostly ignore, or if it's supposed to be used somewhat regularly. Or if it's just RDM Scathe

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Plus if someone thinks Summoner is empty/simple they'll probably fall asleep playing RDM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i've probably had people do weird emotes at my lalafell <10 times over the course of the 5 years I've played this game. it might be worse for female lalafell though, idk.