Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I like the NIN changes. I wasn't expecting the "Hide now resets Ninjutsu timer", I always hated trying to line up my recast before boss pulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

It's exciting when the number goes down.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

So is it actually broken or just congested? Do I just keep trying to get into the instance until it lets me in?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I just hit 70 on NIN and am wondering what the opener is now that I have Ten Chi Jin...I'm finding the ability awkward at the moment.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

The worst times I've ever had in an MMO is when everyone is too polite to tell someone they seriously suck poo poo and need to improve because they're holding everyone else back. Sometimes someone has to be the rear end in a top hat.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

why is fishing so relaxing

Actually, fishing is an extremely frustrating experience where I am constantly screaming at my monitor in anger but I can't stop doing it anyway. Maybe you've never tried to catch the Sky Butterfly before, though.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I did MSQ roulette yesterday and I knew the cutscenes were unskippable and everything, but I wasn't expecting the text boxes to also not be skippable. It's just not worth it...

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Mazed posted:

Nothing, absolutely nothing in FFXIV can even come close to FFXI's single most offensively terrible piece of game design: The Ninja class.

What was implemented as a half-assed, lackluster DPS class became the most preferred tank for a very long time thanks to the existence of two highly exploitable "blink" spells, featuring expendable shadows that took hits in place of the character, creating a tank that, through little other than repeated provokes and those two spells spammed indefinitely, required no healing. This was seen as optimal because who the hell can find, let alone play a healer in a mandatory-groups-for-everything MMO?

The second of these two spells was only available through a quest that did not appear until the player had completed a virtually invisible reputation grind, whose status could be tracked only by checking the price of one item on one vendor NPC. Far worse; both spells required an expendable reagent to be used -- a reagent that could only be crafted by players, and thus sold for an excessive price.

And so, if you want to point to a situation that probably led to RMT parasites getting the start-up cash that helped them to become the multibillion-dollar black market industry that blossomed during WoW's heyday -- hacking, phishing, buying, gutting, and selling thousands upon thousands of accounts daily -- then FFXI's Ninja is right up there.

FFXI's designers knew how Ninja was being played, and though they openly stated it wasn't their intention, they only made adjustments years later -- mostly to the way enemy attacks behaved, that rendered the blink spells relatively useless. But, damage done.

I think you're being too harsh on Ninja, not to mention half of this stuff is exaggerated, untrue, or not a problem specific to the Ninja job. As a big Ninja player in both FFXI and FFXIV I feel the need to defend my beloved profession.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

That guy is an idiot anyway because FFXI obsoleted a shitload of content when it raised the level cap past 75 almost a decade ago. You can't even run the original dynamis anymore because they completely changed how the zones work.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I'm only level 12 and I made a Nagi +2 and have 800 crystals left over. Crystals are a non-issue. Eureka has literally just turned into Northern Thanalan from 2.0. Everyone hangs out in one big blob and moves from one world event to the next. It doesn't matter if you die in this blob because there are 50 Red Mages on hand to raise you, so you never lose experience. You also don't have to do Eureka if you don't want to. Well, that's my take on it. Bye.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Doesn't help that the Ala Mhigo zones kind of stink, especially compared to Othard. I like the Peaks but Fringes and especially Lochs suck extreme rear end. On the whole I thought HW had great zones, I especially loved the Dravanian zones. Azys Lla really felt like the "final area" of a Final Fantasy game to me, and Lochs just doesn't even come close to that feeling.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Personally I'm kind of glad that they stopped giving every class a perfunctory DoT to babysit.

I liked Mutilate.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Made this to work through some grief I'm having...maybe it will help someone who is in a similar situation. Just remember to hang in there and never give up. God bless.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Pierson posted:

What are my best options for Crystal Sand? I can turn 600 Poetics into one via Unidentified items and I can turn 25000 GC seals into one via Moonstones, any other easy routes? The Astral/Umbral materia one is too expensive and I don't know how had most of the other items are to get. Does this still work?

I did it with Red Scrips but that requires you to have gatherers leveled.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

Rogue/Ninja has a very stable "Yeah, it's good" quality to its quests from 1 to 70. It owns.

I cannot for the life of me remember what 50-60 NIN was even about, other than there were Au Ra involved. When one of the Au Ra showed up in the Stormblood quests it took me a while to place who they even were supposed to be.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Chaeden posted:

I have and will continue to happily let dipshits die who steal agro, don't use their agro dumps and run away with their loving mob. You want to die so badly enjoy it, me and the healer I queue with will let you die. And if I'm the healer I'll happily leave you to die as well, I have a tank to keep up through the fight and dots to drop, your dumb rear end just put yourself on the bottom of my priority list. You say we are spoiled for our instant queues I'd say learn to do the most basic things to make a run flow smoothly without causing everyone else trouble, there are a thousand more dps that would love your spot and if you act like a rear end in a top hat and do poo poo like sprint as a ninja ahead of the tank to start the fight we have NO obligation to keep you in the group. If you so desperately want to pull and get punched in the face, play tank. You'll live longer and healer is obligated to at least attempt to keep your rear end up. And maybe you'll make the queue better when I decide I feel like playing Summoner or Samurai myself.

As a side note, the only time I ever feel its a little justified for players to do this poo poo is Black Mages trying to offload their foul as quickly as possible and monks hoping to maintain GL. They at least have a decent reason for it even if its not always possible to maintain GL. MAYBE Bards though that'd require their being a bard in my runs that plays well enough to notice they have shiny buttons to press. Ninjas, Samurai, Summoners, Red Mages, ALL HEALERS, Dragoon, Machinist have no reason to and its always the Ninjas that do this idiocy, one would assume that they are ON ninja to facilitate being a idiot. Special mention to the several white mages I've had who rather then be intelligent have SWIFT CAST STONE into a group I'm running to agro so that I miss one AND they lose out on a good holy. Hell even if you WANT to be that idiot on white mage WHY SWIFTCAST STONE?! you have Aero which is instant cast already.

You suck, dude.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Minrad posted:

I kinda wanna do fishing while I wait for shadowbringers but the, uh, 700??? unided fish in my log is really intimidating.

It’s closer to 800 now, actually.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Eimi posted:

http://ff14angler.com/ if you wish to do it, familiarize yourself with this website. Fishing is still a labyrinthine mess though, compared to the other gatherer's. I just finally managed to get of Dragon's Deep recently and couldn't imagine trying to go for more punishment. The worst part to me is the vast array of bait you need. I wish they'd standardize things down so you could get one crafted bait that covers everything per expansion or something.

The bait thing is only a problem in ARR where you had a ton of different bait for different level ranges, and the big fish in ARR used a large variety of bait. Now once you're max level everything bites off of like 3 different bait that you buy with gatherer scrips. So for 3/4 of Stormblood big fish you're using stonefly larva. The problem with Stormblood big fish is the ridiculous gaps in between available windows. Ruby Dragon is the only fish I still have left to catch and the time between the previous window and the next window is 23 days. Not in game days. Actual real life days.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Wacky Delly posted:

I believe they're skippable if you go in a formed group. Its only under the roulette that they're unskippable.

If you force DC during a cutscene when you log back in you will have skipped it. If everyone is in on it you can cut the run time in half, but not all cutscenes are long enough for it to be worth relogging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

The only time I got kicked was back in 2.4 when NIN first came out and I was using Death Blossom on trash pulls and the other DPS told me to just lay a Doton and do single target rotation, so when I called him an idiot I was kicked shortly after.