Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I keep saying I wanna try this at some point. I can play up to level 35 for free on ps4?

I also have a starter edition thing from twitch prime, is there any way to get it onto a console if I decide to play there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gruckles posted:

Activating the PC version on your account would give you 30 free days of subscription time, but would make your account no longer eligible for the infinite time level 35 trial, and you would still need to buy a license of the PS4 version.

Thanks, I'll just try the infinite time trial

I played a lot of FF11 back in the day despite it being terrible so I get that Controller will make things difficult, but honestly even with a gaming PC I sit at a computer for so much of the day at work that I just wanna lie down on a couch when I get home. I never got into this because I just don't have time for an MMO anymore but no unlimited trial takes some of that pressure to play off, and I've heard enough good stuff that I want to at least give it a chance

Level 35 means I can get to the "Real" jobs right?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Well then I'm convinced. Play it on my couch with no sub and no keyboard as if it's a single player final fantasy as long as I can

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, job stones come in at 30 for the ARR jobs, but DRK/AST/MCH/RDM/SAM won't be available to you.

But looks like Ninja will :getin:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I started playing the trial and I’m almost at 30 now. Took me a long time to really get into it, I think I took like a month to get to 20 but then 20-30 was in the space of a couple of days. I never played it before but my friends who did came back

There is so much to do in this it’s overwhelming. Like my friend logged on and was talking about guildhests and I was like yeah guildleves and he’s like NO they’re different.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In this specific case my friend is 50 Astrologer (He had a max level monk during Heavensward then stopped) and wanted to play together to do some stuff and suggested them. Then we did some leveling duty roulettes instead.

As a 29 archer I wait about 20 minutes for a roulette and with him in party there was, no joke, 0 wait time for the 3 dungeons we did

The story quests are doing a pretty good job of explaining the huge amount of poo poo there is to do and easing me into it. The story isn't bad either although I hear it gets much much better in the expansions.

I think I'm gonna buy the $20 version on PS4, redeem the free heavensward? It looks like if you buy the next expansion you get Stormblood too, better than paying $60 for the complete version now.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BisbyWorl posted:

Keep in mind that buying Shadowbringer only gets you Stormblood when it releases. Granted, the odds of you actually getting through all of ARR and Heavensward before July 2nd is pretty much nil, but it is something to note.

Yeah I typically play very slowly so I thought that wasn't going to be an issue. I've been playing a lot recently because Ramadan changes around all our work timings and you have big chunks of the day where everything is closed. I am assuming once I'm back to normal working hours I will not be in any danger of finishing Heavensward

I also started every crafting job before I hit 30 and got a bunch to 15 and spent a lot of time doing triple triad and now I found out you can GARDEN and I wanna start doing that as soon as I can and I watch all the cutscenes and speak to NPCs and stuff, also I just unlocked Chocobo races?

I am in no danger of finishing Heavensward in 2 months personally

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

You have to be a homeowner to garden, they don’t let just anyone do it. I missed if you were on Excalibur or not, if you’re not there might be houses available that you can save up for. If you are on Excal then lol. Your other option is joining an fc with a house and getting gardening privileges from them. You can also buy flowerpots for fc rooms/apartments (which are a lot cheaper and more available than houses) but it’s really the same.

Ugh really :(

I'm on Odin with a bunch of IRL friends and nobody has a house. One of them is part of a FC that has guild housing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

Materia is for selling on the marketboard to buy poo poo dropped in Eureka without ever having to go there.

Why do people want level 1 Materia so badly? I sold a level 1 one for 4k when that was a serious amount of money to me and out of curiousity looked at some others and they were cheaper.

Samael posted:

An odin goon! I thought everyone was on Omega! I'm Tae Asakura on there if you want to do runs sometime.

Cool! I'll add you next time I'm on, I'm a bit casual with the game though (I am 32 and my friend started a new character after me and just hit 50)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Schubalts posted:

The Tidus and Yuna outfits are on the Mogstation, now.

Does this mean you buy them with irl money? Is that what happens to all events after they're over?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I am currently around 35 and officially at the point where I am annoyed that I have to teleport to Horizon, chocobo to Vesper, enter a building, go through a loading screen, go through another screen for Minfillia to tell me "ok now go back to where you were before and give them this letter"

I am leveling pretty quickly from duties and sidequests and kindaaaa wish I could've skipped a chunk of the story without skipping all of it and everyone is saying it gets worse once you actually hit 50.

Can I at least start turning in quests to give experience to my crafting classes if I am outleveling the story

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I played a lot of Ff11 in 2004-2005, it was an absolutely terrible game that I played because my friends did. Then eventually they got into WOW and my experience with 11 was so bad I never played another MMO until just now with FF14

I can’t tell if I’m actually enjoying Ff14 or if I’m just glad it isn’t beating the poo poo out of me for trying to play it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm so glad I picked bard, because WITHOUT EXCEPTION any time you sit down in a large group of people and bring out some drums and start slamming random notes people get excited and gather around and sometimes pull out their own drums too and it reminds me that there is still a reason to have online games

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I don’t remember rape being a huge part of ffxiv at any point in time. Lots of dumb dick joke puns, but not rape.

Maybe that was during 1.0?

I literally just finished a quest (The Little Ala Mihgan questline) where the Ala Mihgans get angry because a girl gets raped and says they all watched me and laughed during it and it kiiinda came out of nowhere

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok thank god the main story quest when you get outside of titan fetch quest hell really picks up. Liking that there is finally a new area to see too.

For triple triad (which I cannot stop playing) What should I be spending my Golden saucer points on ? I have 30 cards now so I can use 2* cards.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wait there is artifact armor for the crafting jobs

Can I glamour into it and fight as a chef

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have only played dps looking forward to jump straight into level 60 content as a tank on my ps4 with no keyboard hooked up

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man the MSQ is so long my god

I'm almost wrapping up the first one, then it turns out there is a SECOND one before you even get to start Heavensward. I mean I like having the structure but this is a lot of quests.

If I outlevel the quests can I start to turn them in as a crafting class for loads of crafting exp

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BisbyWorl posted:

No, normal quests can only be handed in by a combat class. Unless a quest is explicitly flagged for DoH you can't get crafter XP out of it.

You also can't turn them in on an unleveled combat class because while the game lets you start most quests as anything so long as one class meets the level req, you can't finish the quest unless the class you're in actually meets the level req.

Enjoy your 60 someodd quests worth of filler before things actually pick up. :shepicide:

Boooo

Is there any sort of benefit to switching classes halfway and like, starting to turn in quests as a MCH or something? Because they give great exp right now but I am out leveling them.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My irl friend invited me to his FC and now I have to plug in a keyboard for the first time (I got to level 50 Bard without one, I really only communicate with irl friends through discord)

I would kill for a discord FC/LS equivalent, it just makes so much sense. And then it means i can type on my phone

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's not perfect, but you can use the Second Screen app on Android/iOS for text entry. Might be a bit faster than controller/more comfy than having a keyboard around.

Oh cool! I didn't realize it worked in-game, I thought it was one of those apps that could only send system level messages. I'll give it a try.

Does anyone do this? I assume you still have to fiddle around and like open the system keyboard before you type which would be a bit of a hassle

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ramadu posted:

It;s really insane to me how many of the big streamers are playing ff14 now. Game is getting real popular

I started playing because of the Shadowborn trailer looking cool enough that it got me to try out the trial

I've seemed to get a decent amount of people that have come over from WOW recently as well, I don't play any other MMOs.

Speaking of where's that changelog that shows what is changing with jobs in the new patch?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I can’t figure that stuff out yet. Like as a bard which is pretty simple when am I supposed to be doing the moves that can interrupt other moves? Is there an optimal time before or after another attack completes or just mash that poo poo

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It's pretty hilarious that this game seems to have so much power creep that when you do the quest for artifact armor they literally give you another complete set of better artifact armor on the spot. I do remember people saying the original level 50 gear they give you is no longer any good (Which is crazy because it's soooo much better than anything you get before 50). Also the best possible bow at 50 looks like some random crafted wood bow and none of this relic green blue magic stuff

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Astroniomix posted:

It's because there's literally 3 raid tiers worth of gear between the end of the praetorium and the start of HW and they don't want people to have to grind tomes for a week just to be able to do the already overly long 2.X MSQ.

I'm not sure how any of this is a surprise.

Multiple tiers is not a surprise, "Ah you finished AF1? Here's a box that unceremoniously gives you all of AF2" is a surprise, especially with my only MMO experience being FF11

Leofish posted:

Which bow are you referring to? The top-tier i135 bows that are equippable at 50 are either the Dreadwyrm Bow or the Yoichi Bow Zeta. Most people go for the Augmented Ironworks, which is i130 and looks like a massive railgun.

Oh it turns out I was wrong :shobon: I just looked up the highest ilvl bow on the AH because it wasn't too expensive and much better than anything I had, it didn't even occur to me that there's obviously better stuff you can't buy. It's a i115 Cedar Longbow that looks like you can just craft it.

Is it worth going for higher ilvl stuff or am I gonna level past it quick enough that I shouldn't bother? I did notice that at this point one exp roulette is no longer enough to get an instant level

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I beat ARR and uh is it normal for your party to somehow skip the cutscenes in Ultima Weapon dungeon so fast you literally do absolute nothing (not even see a fight) from Nero onwards

It was just cutscenes back to back

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cleretic posted:

So, I need actual help in picking a new job, because I'm not even certain what I'm looking for is actually in the game.

-Bard (has some neat-seeming toys but I'm pretty sure Bard is 60% 'trap skills you shouldn't be using' by weight, I ended up just using the same two or three skills constantly and occasionally refreshing a song)

What did you level Bard to? Early on as Archer it does definitely feel like that, enough that they are straight up removing skills from the game next patch and just consolidating stuff. But later on it feels like a pretty adaptive class and you have all sorts of abilities that need you to pay attention to what's happening with procs and such.

Spoiler: I literally only played Bard and am basically new to the game lol

Francis posted:

It doesn't even have to be that nefarious. The time between cutscenes at the end of Praetorium is seconds. If you get sufficiently behind the leader by, say, getting lost or missing an elevator, you can hit the 'activate magitek armor' cutscene late enough that the party hits the nero cutscene before you come out of it. Then more and more cutscenes get added to the stack and you come out of it in the Ultima Weapon fight or not at all.

Better than that, I never actually got into a Magitek. Like I somehow arrived late enough everyone was running out as 7 magiteks and I was a bard running alone lost in a sea of magiteks shooting fire and lasers trying to chase along plinking things with arrows

As soon as the first open the gate cutscene started, I literally did not get a chance to fight anything. It was my first time watching so I actually paid attention but wow that is a lot of cutscene.
After how cool the dungeon before it was I was a bit underwhelmed, as an "ending" to the first campaign I'm sure it's quite cool to experience legitimately and feel like you won properly. If that happened to me again I would honestly just put the controller down and leave the room and come back to my level up

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got invited to someone’s FC because I was a cat girl and it’s called like “my cute harem” or something like that

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I am heavily considering making my cat a bunny, but I'm also loyal to the cat because I made it look like my FF11 character from 2005 (Spiky white hair mithra crew)

Don't get me wrong I absolutely hated FF11 but I still have some weird nostalgia for it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

jalapeno_dude posted:

So do you people actually find Yoko Taro games fun or is it just some weird death cult thing?

Bit of both really

I legitimately think Nier Automata is the best Square Enix game of the last like, 15 years though (Maybe more I haven't been keeping track)

Is the Nier stuff gonna be an event that goes away or part of the game going forward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hogama posted:

It's going to permanently be the 24-man series for Shadowbringers, like Crystal Tower for ARR, Void Ark for HW, and Return to Ivalice for SB.

Cool! I didn't know Ivalice was one of those and I love Ivalice! I can't wait to be done with the ARR poo poo it's taking forever!

Oh also can I not unlock my 50+ class quests until I finish the MSQ for ARR? Everyone keeps telling me oh don't worry it gets so good with the expansions and I just found out I am still in part 1 of 6 of section 2 of the ARR MSQ. I'm gonna be 60 by the time I finish these.

Yeah basically. The themes and writing are just on a level that is not seen in games. Sometimes like with Drakengard it can be a bit too much and grim for the sake of being grim, Nier A takes like a full game of soul crushing depression and what is the point of life but actually ends it with one of the most positive uplifiting messages I've ever seen in a game, and makes you back it up with actions instead of just showing it to you.

Big big spoiler for Nier Automata:

The final ending is almost impossible, there are bullets flooding every single part of the screen and you die quickly and do tiny amounts of damage. You will die constantly and the game starts asking you "Do you accept defeat?" You can say yes and the game ends right there. If you say No the questions start evolving to things like "Do you believe games can do more than be toys? Do you want to give up? Do you think you make a difference? As you start seeing messages from other players flood your screen (Mostly supportive).

Eventually you are joined by the actual players who take hits for you and do damage for you, and as they die their name pops up and a new one replaces them. The final decision is if you wan to help other players the same way... by deleting your entire save file. At this point you are probably 60-70 hours in, you've unlocked New Game + and all sorts of modes and you're doing sidequests. You lose your entire file - and you find out that everyone that helped you in the ending made that choice. The part that hits the hardest is when it says stuff like "you don't know who you're helping... are you sure (YES)(NO) It could be someone you hate, a complete enemy... are you still sure? It then asks you to make a message and you can make a huge mean rear end in a top hat message and call someone trash, or a nice supportive one.

And then you realize holy poo poo all these people actually deleted their file, made a supportive message, gave their time and effort and will see nothing in return and it does more for restoring your faith in humanity by showing rather than telling than any videogame ever will

I have seen people who are never affected by games or movies have very emotional reactions to the ending