Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm currently downloading this game and kind of overwhelmed at the amount of content and links in the OP. I'm not a big MMORPG guy these days, but I did play FFXI in the long long ago (like 2003-2008 or so). I'll take my time reading through everything in more detail but I have two questions:

1. If I am not a big PVP guy but would like to play with and chat with goons and stuff, I should join the Exclaibur server and I guess either DGKK or Third Party Tools based on what I read on the links, is that right?
2. Are there any jobs that are just straight up bad, or will make the early game hard / hard to find groups? I played PLD/WAR and some MNK in FFXI but I kinda want to do something else this time around. BRD seems cool, as does SAM and BLM just for something different from what I used to do. idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Thanks! I will worry less about getting on Excalibur specifically to start out. I may eventually try tanking again, I just find tanking is a high pressure job and since I'm going to be incredibly rusty at MMOs (and brand new to this one) I want to start with something easy for my old man brain.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Edmond Dantes posted:

Addendum: this is a really good overview of the jobs and their playstyle, and should still hold for 5.0 since it doesn't go into rotations or specific skills

https://youtu.be/FwQf6H7ESo4

I actually watched that before I posted, it's what helped me figure things out. Sounds like BLM would be annoying to solo at the start with, so I might go a more traditional tank and then play around later. I'll figure it out!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Marin Karin posted:

I'm an insanely anxious person, but the game eases you so well into tanking that I don't stress about it anymore. So don't worry about being rusty or anything. It even offers a tutorial (that gives you good gear) at level 15 to help you get the hang of it in a stress-free environment.

It sounds like they fixed a lot of the problems that drove me to quit FFXI (inability to solo effectively, bad learning curve) so I think I will enjoy this.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Literally every world under the Primal data center is full. I can't create a character on any of them!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yikes, really? Glad to see my first experience with an MMO in over a decade is to sit around hitting refresh every three minutes until something maybe happens. :v:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

On the one hand I'd like to play with goons, on the other hand sitting here clicking refresh every three minutes is making me feel like an idiot for buying this at all. The idea that I should stay up until the middle of the night to finish character creation is pretty funny though.

What are the peak hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Verranicus posted:

There are goons on the Crystal data center as well, just not nearly as many.

Yeah I am just going to do this and go over there I guess. With the expansion coming out on Friday, I can't imagine I am going to sit at my computer all day every day for the rest of the week hoping something opens up.