Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

jesus WEP posted:

Another newbie question - I’m literally just getting started with a Blood Angels army. I bought two of those crimson spear boxes, and the indomitus box is on its way afterwards.

Starting off with assembling the 20 intercessors. In general, should I have 1 sergeant per set of 10, or 1 per set of 5? The boxes contain sufficient chainswords and shoulder pads to make the extra sergeant - is that generally a good idea?

Minimum sized squads are usually a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Serdain posted:

This appears to be the 'battle-brothers' rule from 8th ed.. have we confirmed that this is coming across to 9th?

I hope that it does because a few IG standing around crying at the awesome sight of Custodes on Hogs @ 500 pts is funny but seems a bit broken.

It wouldn't be because to access most of the codexes (Where the good stuff is) like the strategems, army abilities etc. a detachment must fit that faction. i.e. to use Astra Militarum strategems you need an Astra Militarum detachment.

Your lists would honestly be pretty crap if they were just the units with no synergy to back them up.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 17, 2020

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

a pale ghost posted:

do World Eaters use cultists too or should I just stick to berzerkers?

You can use anything thats not a psyker or locked into another god (like plague marines) and i highly reccomend having some cultists because khorne berzerkers are just too expensive to be your only troop choice.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Eej posted:

Are there any other cool infantry focused and non-horde armies out there aside from SM and Death Guard now? Sisters seem cool but lol $100 for a box of 10 Sisters and some of their best units are still rocking that 90s bondage aesthetic I'm not a fan of. Tau are cool but I have no idea how the points changes have affected their good stuff and it seems kind of scary to run a bunch of guys who can't throw a punch in the "stand and hold objectives" edition. Necrons are a bit up in the air since they should be getting a whole bunch of new stuff soon and their current stuff is either really neat or extremely goofy (sometimes both).

Just to be clear you know sisters got a rerelease right? If you dont like their current aesthetic thats fine, just making it clear.

Eldar are an elite force but they kinda struggle as an infantry force atm. Custodes are probably gonna be a great infantry army since the point adjustment was pretty kind to them.

Necrons are probably a good call regardless because after the indomitus box ebay will be flooded with cheap necrons.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

I have a question about Imperial Guard. Are they really boring to play or what? I watched a battle report of IG vs Orks and it seemed like the entire army was just a bunch of tanks that didn't move at all and just blasted from their end of the battlefield. Is that typical? When I was a kid and played a little (20-something years ago), the focus seemed more balanced between tanks and lots and lots and lots of infantry, which is more interesting to me at least

Tank or infantry gunlines are both viable choices and thats likely just the players list.

The issue with 8th edition (Which I assume the game was) was aura buffs meant gunlines with an HQ buffing the units made playing a certain way necessary. 9th looks to have more dynamic mission types at least.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Admittedly after playing other war games that do alternating activation 40k's "Move everything in the same turn" approach feels very antiquated, if nothing else it gives a significant first turn advantage because it lets your entire gunline move up and fire and probably chip a few units off the board if youre particularly lucky or your opponent didnt prepare. You can argue that players should prepare for the possibility they go second but in many cases thats just not a possibility.

At least with alternating activation only one unit gets to go first so the other player has some tactical decisions in how to retaliate.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Yea frankly I much prefer alternating activations, but generally I can't stand the WarmaHordes community. At least not locally, anyways. Bunch of try-hards who always only ever want to practice their meta tournament lists and Fun is not in their vocabulary.

And then trying to play any game that isn't those 2 has been met with posting on Facebook groups trying to find anyone interested in playing XYZ to no result.

Star Wars Legion is really good if you can find people in your area, easily my favorite non-GW game. It was starting to gain momentum just before COVID (they introduced the clone wars which sparked a lot of interest) but then social distancing wrecked a lot of games.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wonder how many people are going to come out of this with fully painted armies

That was a big meme at the beginning of the epidemic but I mean, it's not always easy to get paint now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

DiHK posted:

Power levels are still to be adjusted right? Or is the points adjustment considered to address that...

GW has said they plan to adjust PL more often (as opposed to now when they almost never do) but as of launch they havent touched any of it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If they are permanently phasing out older marines and the Primaris ones are better/more points, does that mean that Space Marines and all their offshoots are going to be even more of an elite but small force army?

I mean yes, if that is what happens. If it happens (and I'm sure it will) it's a long way out and is just fan theorizing at this point. The game could be radically different by then.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Kitchner posted:

To be fair I never felt Space Marines played as elite as they should be really. Sure I have like 70 Guardsmen on the battlefield, but if you have 40 Space Marines then you're not really that elite as the fluff makes out.

I suppose what they are losing is their versatility, which was always a big part of the lore and their playstyle. Primaris are generally equipped to be best at particular tasks which makes them feel like bulkier eldar.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I'm reading Eisenhorn for the first time and I almost can't believe how good a 40K book is

Its one of the few books I'd reccomend to non-40k fans because for genre fiction its really quite good.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mikey Purp posted:

So is there a way to get your hands on the Imperial Armour books for less than $350?

The plan was to retire the old books so they could launch a new edition of them close to launch of 9th. Due to COVID they did the first part but not the second.

Because theyre out of print theres probably nothing morally wrong about using :filez:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Games Workshop sponsored tournaments that will be broadcast to warhammer TV require you only kitbash with GW model bits.

Local tournaments are so variable its impossible to tell. Check with your TO.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

So... does this mean now I’m free to shoot my Captain-hugged hellblasters at units that give me -1 to hit, and to do so without worry?

Well I mean you can still roll two 1s.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

moths posted:

I mean they are, in the same way the 8e codexes are. But will that last beyond October when the new Marines book hits?

They said the important stuff will be in the codexes. So its probably everything youd care about anyway. Like name generators.

(In all seriousness youd probably just be buying it for the fluff in the long term)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I know it sucks but dont reward scalpers.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Eej posted:

Oh that's not scalping unless you count GW's MSRP as scalping

I failed to read it said CAD :downs:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

GW is basically the only company who can do the "You have to buy a $50 book on top of a $60 core book" thing and actually be profitable, they would be insane to stop that gravy train.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Has there been anything new on the WH40K app? I am very ready to subscribe to it, but it seems like GW has already abandoned it.

They set up a road map of sorts but the list builder, the part people care about, is still "sometime in the future".

Edit:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I expected the app to be a disaster but so bad it committed several crimes was not on my list.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Like, I know Battlescribe is bad apparently but they had working list building within 48 hours of the rules dropping.

And (while I'm well aware of professional vs. amateur and I know (better than most) the dangers that organizations face from Not Invented Here): goddamn, GW.

Because it's unofficial I see a lot of skepticism around using it but I don't see many more inaccuracies compared to what GW has put out with Azyr and especially launch day of this app. You should always double check of course but I think too much burden is placed on it being "not official".

If nothing else I would love a list builder with a UI that's more friendly to the user. It's baffling that they did so badly with this when Azyr is fine, it's not perfect and a lot could be done, but it gets its job done.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

oh there's a ninth edition now

I haven't played since seventh and I don't remember much beyond the core stuff, how's ninth looking? Improvement or Age-of-Sigmar-ification?

The current 40k rules do take a lot from Age of Sigmar but Age of Sigmar actually had a decent thing going underneath all the crap it just needed some good designers under the hood to make it work.

AoS owns now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mirthless posted:

I'm kinda expecting them to roll out the female batch of primaris marines that old rascal belisarius was cooking up this whole time, honest just about any day now, really

I think the fact they didn't make it part of the Primaris like they did with say, Stormcast in AOS is proof its just not on the table. I think the new Sisters line is meant to be the consolation prize.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Stephenls posted:

I've said this before: Sisters are great, but the whole point of Space Marines is how varied their themes and aesthetics are between chapters. You've got your Renaissance vampires, Catholic Illuminati, space vikings, infinite palette swapped Roman centurions, crusading knights, cyborgs, birbgoths, atrocity sharks, et cetera. Sisters pretty much just get Catholic Inquisition, and it sucks that if you want boy soldiers you get all that choice but you're poo poo out of luck if you want girl soldiers but don't want Catholic Inquisition girl soldiers.

I don't think it's a good consolation prize nor am I saying "well if you want girl marines play sisters, checkmate" it's what i think GW interprets as a consolation prize. I think they have decided that space marines being male is part and parcel with the force and they have no desire to change it at this time.

I admit I have some frustrations with trying to "woke-ify" 40k, not because I think that's bad but because GW has no interest in supporting it. They've tried to branch out with diversity in novels lately which is nice but ultimately vastly prefer cis het white male authors and they don't seem to want to change that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I really like that they did this, not just openly about it, but like "we don't want your money, you don't matter to us, go away."

I dont in the sense that its not nearly enough. If this was any other company I'm not sure such a glacial pace would be tolerated. I mean they get to keep people like loving Tony Cottrell at the top brass and people seem ok because they said something banal and non-committing on Twitter.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 3, 2020

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mirthless posted:

Literally the only reason Wizards stopped working with terese nielsen was because she sent a bunch of signed prints of art they commissioned to a QAnon youtuber and their statement was basically "we no longer work with this person and will not going forward" likewise with just about every other artist linked to white supremacy and while their recent decision to remove a bunch of cards with incredibly awful and racist art and premises was appreciated the fact is, the 1488th unique card printed in Magic had a bunch of KKK members on it, was commissioned to a known white supremacist who has never been secret about his affiliations, made it to print, remained legal in play for more than two decades and even got a magic online reprint

Like I get what you're saying but this is a very old and deep problem in the hobby we are just starting to come out of the dark on and I honestly think GW is working a lot faster than almost everyone else at their scale and they are embarrassing Wizards of the Coast right now

I don't tolerate WotC poo poo either. The idea of "look comparatively its great!" is the exact issue I have. It's proof hams will take anything if you dress it up in a nice hashtag or put a minority on the cover of a novel like a prop, and excuse the disgusting business practices.

Tony Cottrell humiliated a loyal fan at a preview event because of his race and has faced zero repercussions. The man is a straight up racist and misogynist. And your answer is "look it could be worse so consider that?" Come on man. He did the loving KKK hooded figure which they only backtracked when people got mad, and he got to remain employed at his current position. So I'd argue at least Wizards did something.

Lori posted:

Since I can replace <MARK OF CHAOS> with NURGLE, does that mean I could take a Chaos Space Marine unit in the same detachment as Chaos Daemons as long as they all have the NURGLE faction keyword?

Legally yes, but you wouldn't be able to use any unique codex rules because those are continent on them all having the CHAOS DAEMONS keyword or the same Legion, so its not ideal.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 3, 2020

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mirthless posted:

Like I don't know what you're expecting here though, they've had some leadership changes and made absolutely huge changes to the status quo of how they are targeting their product, and while they should absolutely fire tony cottrell, getting rid of executives is not as easy as it sounds, it can take months to clear people out depending on their contracts and the specifics and for all we know the papers to fire him are already being processed :shrug:

The statement they released and the steps they have taken are a lot more than a nice hashtag, they represent a fundamental risk to their business in the sense that they are actively alienating a large, vocal, outwardly expressing portion of the playerbase, what was formerly their primary word of mouth for their product. If the response from players wasn't positive it could have destroyed their business, and while the feeling there may be "so be it" IDK about the UK but in the US taking a step like this without measuring it carefully is definitely a breach of fiduciary responsibility which is a loving gross concept but :capitalism:

Oh right, dealing with racism is hard. I should be more understanding.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mirthless posted:

I refuse to reject real progress in this hobby based on the pace of corporate bureaucracy, that is a problem with our economic system. The people who are trying, keep trying, and take real risks at least deserve an acknowledgement. Because, unfortunately, in the dystopia we live in, we have to deal with the fact that fascists have money and represent a market and unfortunately they have controlled this market for a long time. Rejecting that group, explicitly, was bold. Taking steps to drastically change the direction of the story and lore to tone down facism and xenophobia, desexualize the SoB, and progress the story in a way that opens the door for change all represented a real risk to their business and it has to actually pay off for them to keep them on that track

Dear GW: Keep making forward progress and I will keep buying your products, go back to the old poo poo or stagnate and I will just spend my money on something else

They haven't done any of this, and the apologia is sickening. It's the same old poo poo, just space marines are less clearly fashy (now it's just ambiguously so) but get to keep all the fashy symbology so its very win win for their bottom line.

Maybe they can't fire Tony Cottrell, they could hire more diverse staff and have no interest in doing it. They continue to use the same cishet white male authors and have shown no intent to change that policy any time soon. All they've done is shove some token minorities up as props so liberal whites can feel better about it, without having to actually worry about any real change invading their hobby. Even if they added female space marines it'd still be written by the Gav Thorpes and Graham McNeil's of the world and that isn't progress at all. It's tokenism.

What you're doing is disgusting corporate dick sucking because it's a company you already like and you need to feel like some progress has been made. You think a goddamn tweet is praxis and evidence that GW took significant risks because they said such bold statements as "we think racism is bad!" You don't need to reject GW, I've come to accept my hobby isn't praxis and I can divorce them from my politics, but do not excuse this kinda poo poo or look to them as being some future bastion of open minded progressivism, its infuriating.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 3, 2020

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I mean if they were going for a Robert Heinlein esque "well take whomever wants to sign up to be a body for fascism" thing id be all for it because itd be making some sort of point. But right now GW seems to be afraid to make Space Marines TOO fashy lest people not get the satire but theyre also not the good guys. Its a weird middle ground that doesnt work.

And i know its about options, i don't discount that, I just think theres bigger issues to tackle than giving space marines yet another recast of models and doing so wouldnt actually help any of the serious issues plaguing GWs diversity problem. It wouldnt hurt but it would consume resources and effort, solely to have a company sign off on your creative idea as "canon".

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 4, 2020

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Stephenls posted:

No, I'll keep yelling about how GW needs to make female space marines canon instead.

Why is it so important to you that a corporation sign off on it? If its real to you thats what matters. No corporate authority is going to make it more valid and people against the idea wont just suddenly bow to it any more than they do now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Its less that representation having value (I dont think it does, but I acknowledge that's me) but the willingness to overlook serious institutional flaws in a company to get their approval.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Making female marines canon is bred out of the belief that a corporation holds the keys to what is true in a fictional source. Its not enough to have fans make kick rear end models and their own custom chapters, somehow GW needs to rubber stamp it for it to "count".

The obvious argument is that a companys approval makes it official and wide reaching but Im not confident it would suddenly make all the misogynists in the hobby pack up and go away. They are in fact quite good at rejecting GWs edicts, even when its as benign as "I dont like how primaris look".

My issue is just this simping need to get female space marines approved from a company who employs misogynists and racists at its highest ranks and continues to avoid having actual female authors and POC involved in the creative process. I dont think their approval should be sought nor desired.

Stephenls posted:

And you can't tell me that repeated exposure to fictional female protagonists has no influence on young men's empathy for real women.

I can and will. As a woman I live that experience every goddamn day and I dont think its actually done any good. I am sick and tired of tokenism propped up so companies can avoid actual change and I can be told "why are you upset? We put a lady on the cover and she's powerful. You should love this."

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 4, 2020

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mirthless posted:

like and retweet my posts everybody

jesus christ

if liking female characters in fiction is simping that word has officially lost all meaning and to be honest your position makes you sound like an unhinged misogynist

The words existed longer than youtubers, grow up. Im not talking about wanting a twitch streamer to notice you I'm talking about begging for corporate approval. The issue isnt liking female characters, you didn't read what i said at all. Its needing a company to give you approval when they themselves can't be assed to hire actual minority authors. Im not really comfortable with introducing more minority characters written by cishet white guys.

If you want my overall thesis statement, that's it. I think championing for more diversity in 40k (in universe) while keeping the current corporate culture status quo is actively harmful. I dont think making the change now without also demanding more diverse writing staff does any good at all. I do believe everyone here wants both things, to be clear, but acceptance of one without the other is actively harmful to those groups and not a "first step" toward something better.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 4, 2020

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I dont think media representation helps that if its not backed by genuine diverse view points first. Its a non issue regardless, GW might not be able to have an all or majority POC staff but to my knowledge zero of their regular authors are not British cishet males. They can get at least one and are actively choosing not to. I dont want or need to receive approval from people who actively have zero interest in actually lifting up minority voices. Youre just giving them a pass because "change is hard" and i dont think employing women as store clerks is 21st century thinking.

Theyd rather prop up a fictional minority character as a tool to convince people theyve changed. A woman or POC written by a cishet white guy is a prop. You mentioned Disney but Black Panther wasnt lauded for having a black guy on the cover, it was because they employed a majority black cast to write and act in it. Sure it was still backed by white guys, like GW would be if they got more diverse authors, but at least those voices would get a platform. And if loving Disney can do it GW can hire one minority author or at least more than a loving store clerk.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 4, 2020

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I think she was a freelance author. Which isn't unusual, GW utilizes a lot of them. I think they could at least do a lot by having one on the actual staff

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Everythings out of stock, their pipeline is proper hosed from covid so don't assume any out of stocks are a new sculpt. At best they're getting a new box with updated datasheet for 9th

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I mean I believe many are in denial, in a "we did what we had to" sort of way because accepting that you did those things without just embracing it would probably drive you insane.

But renegade chapters do exist for chapters who decided the Imperium sucks but theyre not ready to embrace Chaos worship entirely either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Eej posted:

Or play Valorous Heart and Bloody Rose together!

Sadly that's not as viable as it was. The way detachments work in 9th really favor sticking to one faction unless you can justify it.