Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I dont believe they will, but if they did they'd probably just handwave it as attrition. They get replaced with primaris over time until almost all the originals are wiped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Hams:"Jesus that ultramarines chapter tactic is ridiculous, no one else is gonna get anything that good. Wrap it up fuckers."

Baltimore Ravens: "Hold my beer."

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

I don't think it's as OP as you believe it is. Tau can already field armies of units that always give a negative penalty to hit and they aren't seen as OP

I dont think its op exactly but i think people were also overreacting to the ultramarine tactics.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Zuul the Cat posted:

Question about GW Customer Service - I ordered a box off eBay that was unopened and still shrink wrapped. When I opened it, one of the sprues was busted - the weapons on the mini were broken off and I couldn't find it in the box.

Will they send me out a replacement bit, or would I have to return it through eBay?
I find theyre pretty "no questions asked" in my limited experience with them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Strobe posted:

RE: Gets Hot, doesn't this mean that if you roll a 1 with a -1 to hit, that it's actually a 0 and you don't Get Hot? :v:

No, the developer's commentary states you cannot get a cumulative result of less than 1, specifically for situations like that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I don't really understand the desire to use wood stain, you have so much more control with a traditional wash. Do you just hate painting and want to do as little of it as possible to get them "done"

That's literally what dipping exists for.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

http://natfka.blogspot.com.au/2017/07/this-weeks-pre-orders-with-us-and.html?m=1

Price leaks for the space marine codex. 50 bucks base, 80 dollars for the collectors edition and...250 dollary-doos for the "primaris edition". The gently caress could be in that?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Cainer posted:

I was really hoping after the decent index prices that codex's were not gonna be completely off the moon, freaking yikes.

The codices are all hardcover so the price is about what i expected tbh.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

goose willis posted:

And in the eyes of Games Workshop that's good enough and all they need :v:

They're getting their own standalone codex for nurgle's sake!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

goose willis posted:

Now you know how low my expectations are

Buck up chum

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Planning a road trip to goto adepticon. Always wanted to go and looks like next year is the year.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Agentdark posted:

How many people would care if I put 10 of my guard basic conscripts on square bases as I ran out of circle bases from building my inquisition agents on the circle bases?

Enough that id just buy some bases for cheap. The entire game is determined by measuring by base.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Horus's betrayal honestly only works if the Emperor is emotionally attached to his sons. I prefer it that they started out as tools, but slowly he gained respect for them and saw them as people.
It makes the whole horus heresy more tragic when he finally opens up and just gets poo poo on by half his sons.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Zuul the Cat posted:

I disagree. I think if anything, it really makes the entire universe more grimdark and makes the Heresy a little more polarized, because now instead of the traitor legions just being traitorous scum, you can sympathize with them.

All these souls in the Imperium striving for a God-Emperor, hailing him as a hero and a champion of humanity and really he doesn't give a poo poo about individual people or the quality of their lives.

His treatment of the Primarchs, basic humans and anyone else he comes across is no different than what he did to the Thunder Warriors.

You're reading it like a father loving his son. The Emperor clearly loves his plans and machinations more than anything. This is clearly seen in his violent reaction to Magnus loving up his plans on Terra. If you have a tool that's broken, you can still try to fix it. Especially if it's not easy to make another one. For the Primarch's and the rest of the Imperium, it very much was a family tearing itself apart. For the Emperor, it was just a kid overseeing an ant farm. He's completely alien to everyone else.

I dont disagree, The Emperor is more than kind of a dick. Hes every fedora wearing reddit user given superpowers. He thinks he knows better because he has reason and logic and not feelings. He really doesnt give a crap about anyone on a personal level, hes just a glory hound.

But i think that's why him caring about his "sons" works. Its a man who spent millenia being a sociopath and now for once he cares about someone other than him. He opens up, gets punched in the gut and it creates his downfall. Like, its way more emotionally poignant and grimdark than "my tools broke beep boop."

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

raverrn posted:

Because Eldrad exists?

So im super biased cause i got a huge crush on Eldrad but i wouldnt call him a mary sue. The guy has summarily hosed up every venture hes attempted.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

I think with Magnus running around it would be cool to have Russ and/or Khan come screaming back out of the warp.

Russ is popular enough he sounds like an obvious choice but his return would bring back the age of sigmaring 40k chicken littleing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I feel like the sins of the ultramarines done by matt ward are being imposed on guilloman when he had nothing to do with that poo poo. I like the guy.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

Everyone except Horus and Sanguinus are ambiguous enough to show up.

Ferrus Manus is pretty goddamn dead but this is the 40k universe, anything could happen.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

chutche2 posted:

Manus would despise it, though. He was very much against the cyborg bullshit the Iron Hands got obsessed with. The metal on his arms were a coating that he said he would one day try to remove, because he felt strength should come from oneself and not chopping poo poo off and replacing it.

Actually yeah whats the deal with that? I play thousand sons and have magnus, I wondered what the deal was with the techno parts on his body. Someone who knows ham lore better than i care to explain?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

chutche2 posted:

I'm talking about Ferrus Manus, not Magnus.

Haha wow it is way too late for me to be reading this crap. Question stands i guess.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Magnus has no techno parts? He's all wings and armor.

If you look at the model his arm has pipes and poo poo i presume meant to be under the skin.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

Sorry, y'all, it's confirmed in Dark Imperium that the Emperor is still alive. Guilliman talked to him in person when he got to Terra and though the Emperor is even more alien and inhuman than he was 10,000 years ago, he's still there. His body's basically a corpse, however.

Do they though? I thought it was left open ended because it happens behind closed doors. Guilloman could absolutely be bullshitting because he knows the Imperium would collapse into civil war if they didnt have their faith in the God Emperor to give them a common cause.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

chutche2 posted:

That's what happened in the last gathering storm, the dark imperium stuff has expanded on it to them having an actual conversation. Emps is alive but completely without emotion or any shred of humanity.

Interesting. I need to pick that book up, honestly.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Based on what we've seen of the Ecclesiarchy, theyre pretty loving bad at it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah id see it as like a religious schism with some seeing Guilliman (and potentially his brothers)as prophets to bring the new word of the Emperor, while others feel they're decievers trying to lead the Imperium off its righteous path. These splits would be individual rather than "ok sisters of battle go here, adeptus mechanicus go here".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The Bee posted:

"soon you’ll have your own tricks and ploys to play, and unique rules for your Traitor Legion, Astra Militarum Regiment or Forge World of choice."

Sounds like solid confirmation that Xenos are getting screwed release 1, but at least Admech get nice toys early on.

Naw, in the FAQ they said individual craftworlds rules are coming back and cited necrons getting dynasty rules and adeptus mechanicus as getting forge worlds. I dont think its indicative of the order they're coming out but it does sound like they want to give every faction something similar to space marine chapter tactics.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would buy that. I just need to find a local GW.

I saw these at my FLGS so theyre not GW exclusive at least.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Boon posted:

Wait, so they're officially doing codexes again? I thought they were not in 8th....

That was never the plan just tnat they werr salting thr earth and beginning anew since thr old codexes wouldnt work with the new rules.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

adamantium|wang posted:

Just noticed the FAQ restricts Ynnari armies to only being possible if you first take one of the triumvirate as your Warlord. That's going to straight up invalidate my friend's army right there.

Yeah...thats an absolutely bizzare choice and I'm trying to understand the logic there. Were non-triumverate ynnari lists really breaking the game?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Characters rule and I probably use way more than I should.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Hummingbird James posted:

Don't forget that there's a near-perpetual motion engine inside it, that they don't have the instruction manual for because the guy who invented it didn't share how it worked before he died. So, since they're too scared to turn it off in case it doesn't turn back on again, they store Dragoons and Ironstriders either in huge circular barracks, where the walkers are constantly turning and the riders have to be lowered on with a huge crane, or on huge treadmills to (very inefficiently) transfer that energy into other machinery.

Jesus gently caress I love 40k.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

You are the south park of 'hams.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ijyt posted:

Guillimans versus guillimans is non-fluffy.

It means one is an imposter!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah i placed an order recently where i ordered the wrong thing. I tried to call them but their call center was straight up closed till 1 pm to get caught up on back tickets. Theyre wicked busy lately.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Ya'll can take Eldrad from cold dead loving hands.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

40k uses a floating timeline like DC comics or the Simpson's.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

chutche2 posted:

It used to, but we're now firmly in the post-primaris era.

Naw floating timelines dont preclude major events or changes in the status quo.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

DiHK posted:

I feel like the whole thing is just allowing the granddaddys to grandfather in their legacy models and it will be redacted in a later edition.

Really feels like if they're gonna redact it, just do it. Or were gonna repeat this cycle yet again.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

So for my Thousand Sons army I feel safe in the number of troops and HQs I have, so now im looking at some artillery stuff. Between forgefiend, chaos predator and chaos vindicator what are the pros and cons of each?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Laser based weaponry would probably not even need to look like a modern firearm at all but its so ingrained in us "this is what a gun looks like".