Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Black_Nexus posted:

Figured I should actually paint Typhus up now since he buffs the gently caress out of poxwalkers

Hot drat. I was keen for big marines, but now I'm thinking papa Nurgle is the most benevolent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
How the hell are intercessors and hellblasters both 20pts a piece? I realise heavy support Vs troops, but lol if you wouldn't max out on the upgraded plasma guns over bolt 'rifles'. Also lol that hellblaster's power rating is 50% higher.

E: lol sorry, twice the pr

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Safety Factor posted:

You have to add the points of their weapons too. I think hell blasters wind up at 38 each or something.

The points layout is loving awful.

They have one option but it's not included in base points?

haha, oh GW. You cads.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

JoshTheStampede posted:

This wasn't amistake - they made everyone by their guns and gear, separately, even if it costs 0. That way, if they decide later on that plasma guns are broken, they can raise their cost and not have to raise each datasheet's cost - you're alredy buying them each anyway.

For content:

I'm one of many getting back in. I have a marines force that I'm gonna paint as Carcharadons, using taloned dreads and some death company models and lots of jump packs but mostly vanilla non-BA marine models and the new Primaris ones. I also have a small 10-15 model Grey Knights unit or the ability to make one from bits.

Should I A) Use the vanilla marines codex, play them as Raven Guard, take Shrike, etc, or B) Use the Blood Angels list and run death company with Lemartes, etc? Which seems better for a jump pack army - Shrike with VanVets and AssMarines or BA with death company?

Bonus points if you know what I should do with these GKs - run them as allies with the GK rules, or counts-as them as, I dunno, deathwatch or custodes or some poo poo? Any advice on what's good so far (I know its early) as far as marines/GKs/BA/Imperials?

Hmm, fair enough. I hope they do keep balance up that way (without an extra $100 in books per year)

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I love the knights of bigmar, but I did chuckle when I saw the bigmar rhino doesn't fit bigmars.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Safety Factor posted:

If you mean the Rhino Primaris, it has nothing to do with the biglys. It shares the same name, but it predates them by quite a bit and it's just a command tank you can buy at Warhammer World. There's a command Land Raider too.

Ah, foolish me for assuming two things with the same name are related!

Having been out of this since 4th ed I keep finding blizzard things that amuse me. Like what the hell is an imperial space marine?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I played your '8th' edition and had.. fun?! What is this, GW?

Poxwalker rule supreme (with a comfy typhus for support).

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

GreenMarine posted:

Some of my in progress loyalist Thousand Sons.

Ok, that's hot.

Reviving heretic chapters? Extremely my poo poo.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
GW? Still not all good?

News at 10.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
40k still a poo poo fest in tournaments? :monocle:

I'm coming back to it for the fun times with mates who aren't going to drop $1000 to win a game. Stuff like that is good to remind me to stay away from tournies.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
But Tzeentch fluff is all about randomness and change? They should be mad as gently caress random powers, that's what Tzeentch is. The fact there are also a billion sorcerers in Tzeentch is just lol (also you get rubric marines and stuff, they're hot af)

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
loving grey knights pushing in front of glorious papa nurgle's minions. :argh:

I'm very surprised there's not separate primaries codex though, I would have bet could that GW would push them as a different line.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
But which planet is the libertarian one? Is it inside the eye of terror, or in real space?!?;?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I love my big dumb randian primarch

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
But the bearer is slain with plasma, not mortal wounds? :confused:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Sup, Typhus conversion bud? I feel like it's kind of a right of passage for DG players now.

I was too cheap for bits, though, and carved a scythe out of a kinked bit of sprue, and chopped off the thick round vertical bits on the sprue for the destroyer hive (with a hole drilled down the middle). Slather with plastic putty and viola!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

goose willis posted:

I have a gigantic shitload of off-brand cultist proxies that I want to color en masse so that they're slightly better than just gray plastic models

Luckily none of these models have exposed skin, just uniforms and helmets and gas masks and generic weapons that look like auto-guns

Would "dipping" be OK for this and how would you go about that because I've only heard of it but never seen it done before

Dipping would be totally ok. You can get an army dip style thing, or a stain from a hardware store and use that. My preference for butt-load painting is washes (same thing, but put on with a brush so you don't get big globs). Plus that way you can make the wash any colour.

These (20) dudes were primed grey, then washed with a watered down purple, then hit with a black and brown wash. All 20 took maybe 2 hours to get to that point - then another 2 to pick out some clothes and horns and wash again. Dip will do the same thing a little quicker, but you'll lose variety in the colour.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

goose willis posted:

Wow those look awesome

Are there any products in particular that you'd recommend for mass power-loving through loads of cheap bland models?

Not really - a decent spray primer (I use tamiya, but that poo poo is $$ for hordes). Any acrylic paint can be watered down for a wash with just water, and it'll last for ever. Put a brush worth of paint into about 5-6 brushes of water, it should be the consistency of water but opaque. But two washes that are well worth buying are a black and a sepia/burnt ochre/umber (ie, dark reddy-brown). A rubbish brush for dry brushing, too.

Lots of people use and love army-dips, though, so feel free to give that a crack and see if it's your style. This is all a very personal thing - with hordes you need to find a way that is quick & easy but still suits your tastes.

If you're going for something more solid/pretty I would very strongly recommend an air brush and spending some time learning it. They will make your life unbelievably easier, and make your painting so much nicer as base coats start perfectly smooth and with some level of shading.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

goose willis posted:

This is probably a stupid question but what exactly is an "army dip" because Google results aren't quite getting me what I want

Here's the Army Painter one

You just open the can and dip the guy in. You can get similar results from wood stains.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

JoshTheStampede posted:

Well SOMETHING is maintaining it.

Wasn't it maintained by the dying soulds of the millions of psykers the Inquisition round up and fed to the flames, or did that get retconned because it was to grim dark for the pacified good guy imperium that has lots of cool tech they are these days because gee dubs realised it sells more mary sues in armour?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
That pimp-canius is enough to make me want the $60 bigmar. Nearly, at least.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

chutche2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpvAr9DRmgQ

This guy does a page by page review of the book. Doesn't focus on point values for long but you can pause it and read a lot of them. Don't know if any weapon costs changed though.

One big change is that inceptors went down 15 points per model, that's huge. You can see the first half-page of weapon points in the video, assault bolters are still 15 points. So a unit of 3 went from 225 to 180.

Realllllly making me want a flight of the bumble bees army.

6 units of inceptors, something solid to dump on the table, profit. Plus pimp cane chaplain.

Well, no, they'd probably suck but gently caress it.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

adamantium|wang posted:

No? We like having armies that are Our Dudes, and special characters take away from that. That's how we forge our narratives.

LingcodKilla posted:

Named characters are a curse to this game. Bring back the old days when you had to ask for permission to play them and armies needed 50%+ troops to not be laughed at.

Hell yeah

I'm not saying everyone else is doing it wrong, they're just heretics.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

adamantium|wang posted:

In 2E Abaddon had a rule where as the new Warmaster of Chaos he wouldn't lead every piddling little band in existence so you could only take him in games over 1500 points :allears:

So you took Abaddon and kharn and a handful of bezerkers and a tank, cause they were horrifically expensive each. And unkillable. 2E <3

(I was always the poor sob trying to deal with that. Broken af, but ~memories~)

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Yeah, for Super Serious wargaming (that is still well fun) there's good systems a plenty with modern rules and exciting interactions where you don't wait an hour to do anything but roll to see how many of your dudes you remove from the table.

40ks is just an excuse to use Space Barbies in the fluff world and still function while tanked af.

I mean, you do you an all, but when you strip the fluff away there's a system that makes monopoly look complicated combined with a horrid mashing of balance and pay-to-win. It's not an un-fun game, but only if you try and ignore the game parts.

This is the Emperor's actual opinion, btw. In case you were wondering.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

goose willis posted:

An elite force of humanity's most elite warriors, who employ elite units? Why, I never, just loving stop the presses right now we've got a hell of a scoop

I completely agree and I wholeheartedly welcome the new 100% bigmar direction we're heading. Down with the decisive chapter system! Long live GeneriBigBois 4 Eva!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

dexefiend posted:

Get an airbrush, some meth, and some good music. Models fly by.

Add in oil washes and its magic!

Best advice.

Black_Nexus posted:

I mostly like to paint entire armies two weeks before a tournament and finishing at like 2am the night before.

Who needs sleep to play well!

More amazing advice.

Procrastipainting and good kicks are the only way. As was written in Codex Colouris.

Pidgin Englishman fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 28, 2017

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
So I heard there's balance issues with hordes in 8th? In 40k?

Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Phyresis posted:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Warhammer 40,000. The grim darkness is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the horror will go over a typical reader’s head. There’s also Roboute’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these references, to realise that they’re not just grimdark- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike 40k truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the nihilism in Guilliman’s existential catchphrase “IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE, THERE IS ONLY WAR,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Mat Ward’s genius wit unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

And yes, by the way, i DO have an Ultramarines tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the Sisters’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 😎

Fuckin' lol