Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

a bit overboard with the rust and verdigris

On Nurgle? No such thing. That axe looks great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The Daemonettes are not my favorite, but the rest of the new Slaanesh line is loving fantastic. Every single new scuplt has been something I instantly wanted to pick up even if I'd never play it.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
For spray can primer it's pretty good if somewhat expensive but a distant second to airbrush priming.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The best thing is a magnetized case, makes transporting weirdly sized/shaped models so much easier than even a KR case, but does mean you need to put magnets in the bottom of every base.

I do still use my KR case a ton though and love it, just not as quick to take stuff in/out.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea I swear I have seen some knockoff Rangers before but I can't find them at all now, none of the standard companies seem to be doing them. Tons of Aspect Warriors of every type though. The GW models are not bad, just Finecast that ruins them, but like most Craftworld stuff they are incredibly dated. It's so weird coming back to 40k after over 15 years and seeing the Elder stuff I bought in highschool unchanged completely.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
https://www.michtoy.com/ is great for paints if you're not looking for the GW brands.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Michtoy has them at $3.30 with a 10% discount if you register an account, along with almost every other major brand besides GW.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I find that 1/8" magnets work for most infantry and 1/4" for most vehicles, with the matching Dremel engraving bit it works perfectly to make a hole that matches exactly to the magnet. I mostly stick to the N52 magnets for the infantry ones, especially on things that may tend to rotate or sag but I use some of the cheaper ones if I think they will be fine.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=168

Cinara fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 23, 2019

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I get why GW doesn't use dropper bottles, even if I think it's dumb. But the fact that the shades doubled down on it and are even taller pots making them incredibly easy to tip over...

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I don't it is that unlikely that future large box sets get split into two start collecting sets though. It just depends if that box set is normal kits or monopose/easy to build models.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Clawtopsy posted:

the shaved head sister owns bones

It's so so much better than the awful hair most of them have, I wish it was the default look for Sisters.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I've had good luck buying the limited stuff off ebay the day it releases before every online seller has run out of stock. The initial wave is always sold at or under retail before the resellers and people who split up boxes are all that are left.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
My poor Blood Angels Rhinos really miss 3rd edition.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
A decent chunk of the box value is going into things other than models.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It's a fantastic style that works so wonderfully for putting out minis extremely quickly that look fantastic at any distance you'd actually normally view them at. If you zoom on sure you'll see some flaws but who cares? Bold colors and strong highlights and great use of OSL/glows, I think so much of the strength of it comes from his ability to place highlights where they add the most "pop".

Also excellent attention paid to the basing on every single miniature he does, really ties everything together.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Real talk, think about an airbrush if it's in the budget, nothing will give you a smoother base coat of exactly the color you want.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea I bought a Badger Krome back in 2011 and am now at the point where I am looking at buying a 2nd one for detail work, either a Iwata Hi-Line or a H&S Infinity. It has quickly become a core part of my painting process, and for an army like marines it will speed up your painting an absurd amount. You will never look at those giant flat panels on vehicles the same way after you airbrush your first one.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Legit Forgeworld models can be so hit or miss that there's really no way of telling the different between that and a good recast, and some recasts are effectively perfect. Like everyone has said, once painted no one will ever know unless it's a resin recast of a pewter model. But even then there's people doing metal recasts also.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
IIRC Crisis Suits are not very good right now which is a pretty big chunk of the boxes value.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Vince seems like a good dude and has amazing tutorials and is very low on the obnoxious scale.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
These are 3d printed.

Resin printers are VERY good.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I saved a copy before it was taken down.

https://pdfhost.io/v/~Nt.mNriA_9epdf.pdf

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I like almost everything about that new Necron Warrior model, except the nose looks so weird, hopefully it's not that bad or fixable with greenstuff. Getting rid of the green rods was a great choice, IMO they never looked that good unless you just painted over them. Like Kitchner said they just look out of place compared to the rest of the 40k range.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It's the same with a lot of their newer kits, better baseline poses and easier to assemble, but less control over individual models. I'll never defend the old marines though, they look fine right up until you put them next to a primaris and then you immediately notice how bad their proportions are. And sure you could pose them any way you wanted, except the bolter arms really could only go one way on most of them and the legs were all the same.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
You can get the Elegoo Mars in the $2-300 range and it produces fantastic prints.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
What's interesting is this box isn't really replacing Dark Imperium, it's a limited time promo for 9th edition and not really meant for new players or armies either. Wonder what the new actual starter will be once this is gone.

I do love almost every model in it though, and likely will pick one up for myself just because it's so many new different things to paint.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
If you have an Android device, Impcat is a great way to test out color schemes. There's tons of templates available on the subreddit.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Strobe posted:

and mostly paint minis by holding them by their base and accepting that I'm going to get paint on my hands.

Just buy some disposable nitrile gloves, makes this a lot less miserable and also protects your models from the oils on your hands. I use one on my left hand for most of my painting now.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver is the big thing missing there. But the other thing that was a huge help to my workflow was a decent water squeeze bottle, something like this.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WTHLR18/

Made it a lot faster to clean, if you watch Vince's cleaning video he shows his use of one, plus is useful for a bunch of other painting stuff!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Not 100% sure I like the texturing on the first one, but I like the colors the most by far. I do agree it needs a 3rd color though.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread

There's an AoS Thread, that has the tiny bit of discussion about Old World also. there's very little known about it besides the fact that it will exist in some form. Don't expect much support though, AoS has been massively successful lately compared to Fantasy in the past.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860141

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It's possible to print your own decals, though anything white is a bit awkward as most printers cannot print white so you need to use white decal paper and cut an outline.

There's high res scans of OOP decal sheets floating around the internet, I can't feel too guilty using them if GW/FW won't even make them available to purchase.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea the made to order window for Indomitus is over now, so if you want a copy it's going to have to be from a 3rd party somewhere.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Chaos don't have Primaris yet, some of their newer stuff is scaled better though.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
100% agreed, after getting some of the new Primaris marines my old ones just look stupid and stubby, I can't ever go back to that scale.

Plus IMO the new helmets are far better.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
99% of my painting is done with a W&N Series 7 size 1, but I basecoat with an airbrush so I don't need anything bigger.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea if you look on the site, Death Guard and Thousand Sons get their own section under Chaos with several obvious newer kits including large characters. World Eaters and Emperor's Childen essentially don't even exist, the former having the ancient Berserkers kit and the latter having only a single $36 special edition Noise Marine model.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I would snap buy modern EC models in a second, I've always loved their aesthetic but while Slaneesh has gotten decent support over the years EC never does.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I love it!

The biggest thing I can see for bringing it to the next level would be to fix that minor texturing/speckling you're getting, it's very noticeable on the shoulderpads. I'm guessing it's coming from some part of your priming/zenithal process, what are you using for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Eej posted:

Oh that's airbrush which is a constant process for me in figuring out distance/thinning/psi for a smooth application. Might be easier once my conversion kit comes for my Badger so I feel more comfortable with the brush real close but I'll keep fiddling regardless.

Oh that's not a big deal then, you're right it's just a process to figure out how you want to be spraying your paints. Every paint is going to be a little bit different also, especially between different brands. I love my airbrush now but it was a big learning curve for sure.