Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Whoops, posted in the old thread.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Regardless of paint quality, I love Red Sisters - such a great scheme.
Funny, I've always liked them blue:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Liquid Communism posted:

That is the dumbest bit of rules lawyering I've seen today, and it's been a long day.
Dumber than trying to deny someone Overwatch by launching a charge from out of LOS? Presumably they'll see you at some point during your charge, and when they do, they'll shoot you.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Is it wrong that I was listening to the Badcast while painting Infinity miniatures? Was I breaking some kind of unspoken rule there?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

moths posted:

Dudes look Baaler.
I see what you did there.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

OhDearGodNo posted:

I think I found a way to add Scions for the herd:

God drat those are cool conversions!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Agentdark posted:

What are people making roughriders out of? Scout Bikes? Brettonians?
Old Tallarns and Mutant Raider mounts from GorkaMorka:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Put on your tinfoil hats, boys: The Warhammer Twitch guys were wearing badges with that new symbol on it.

Either that or he's about to go to a Misfits concert.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Lately (relatively speaking) there's been a massive up-tick in people schooching across the thread like a dog with worms. Smearing histrionic complaints about literally anything GW does, real, imagined, or misunderstood, into the carpet.

Patience with it is running low among people who just want to chat ham, free of the asinine mewling that infests every other GW community on the internet.
Hey, you fuckers complained ceaselessly about the existence of the GW Death Thread. At least it served its purpose; now all those people are in here making GBS threads up this thread. Hope you're happy. :bahgawd:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Zaphod42 posted:

Lots of people like it so its not nearly as simple as "garbage overdesigned aesthetic";
No, it really is that simple. I'm sorry you have bad taste, but there it is. :shrug:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Plus, if they were really invested in combatting recasters through model clutter, I'd expect to see it more on Forgeworld models, where you have high-cost items that incorporate just big slabs of resin that are super-easy to recast.
Um, no, this makes no sense at all. The point is that injection-molded plastic allows you to create much finer detail (and much spindlier pieces) than poured resin even if you use some kind of spin-casting. Both ForgeWorld and the recasters are operating in the same medium - resin - so I would not expect to see things that make resin casting harder in ForgeWorld models because that would also make ForgeWorld's own job harder and/or their products worse. And if you think that ForgeWorld's resin material or casting process (or loving quality control) is somehow higher quality than what some of the better recasters do, you are flat wrong.

There are two key features that are harder to replicate (well) in resin than in plastic: 1) spindly stuff and 2) fine surface texture. The first is because plastic is much less brittle than resin, and the second is because detailed/rough internal mold surfaces provide attachment points for small bubbles during the resin pouring process, resulting in the obnoxious pitting that we all came to know and loathe during the FineCast era. On the whole, GW's aesthetic has gone towards spindlier, more detailed stuff (with biglys being a notable exception), especially for their big, super-expensive centerpiece models - you know, the ones where resorting to recasters will save you the most money. I do not view this trend as a coincidence.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
That pic is definitely better, but his sihouette's still kinda hosed up. I kept looking at it thinking his face was shadowed by a cowl, only to realize (belatedly) that no, that "cowl" is actually just the shadow cast by the crap sticking out of his gas mask, and his face is actually above[u] that. The thing is, with his pose, a slightly more hunched demeanor [u]would put his face in that lower, darker spot and would probably look more interesting and dynamic to boot.

That said, I think his wings are bad-rear end. I love how they tie him in thematically with those crazy fly-lookin' demon things.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, I remember the first pics of the new Kairos Fateweaver, where I was like, "WTF am I actually looking at here?" But when they released the 360-degree images, I definitely came around to, "Oh, this mini is actually pretty fuckin' sweet!"

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

serious gaylord posted:

I cant paint anymore so probably not.
"can't" ...? :ohdear:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Frobbe posted:

Here’s a breakdown of the number and type of the 340 (!) skulls in the box:

- 82 human skulls with jawbones;
- 86 human skulls without jawbones;
- 15 human jawbones;
- 60 assorted damaged human skulls;
- 2 giants’ skulls;
- 1 Morghast skull (in 2 components);
- 1 beast skull (in 2 components);
- 4 small horned skulls;
- 4 medium horned skulls;
- 3 large horned skulls;
- 7 bird skulls;
- 2 Chaos beast skulls;
- 6 plaguebearer skulls;
- 6 Bloodletter skulls;
- 10 T'au skulls;
- 5 Kroot skulls;
- 6 alien skulls;
- 21 Genestealer Hybrid skulls;
- 20 Ork skulls without jaws;
- 5 Ork jawbones;
- 7 Ork skulls with jaws open;
- 7 Ork skulls with jaws.

Skulls!
:10bux: to the first one of you fuckers who takes all of those skulls and assembles them into a throne.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JoshTheStampede posted:

So in a year, maybe 18 months, when we have ~25 codexes and they are all done, what do they put out every month?
9th Edition.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

goose willis posted:

Cypher what did they do to you

Only revealed the truth that the Lion has been trying to keep secret for ten millenia - "The Fallen" aren't heretics at all; they're women.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Hey NoVA speed painting bros. I just finished my heldrake. I think I am down to 5 raptors and a lot of bases.

This is super-sexy! That blue came out beautifully.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Bent pieces that needed to be heated and straightened (carefully, because they were always the most spindly and brittle bits), scads of bubble-pits, and horrific mold-slippage were all typical of "Fine"cast.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Serotonin posted:

Im currently painting up some Berzerkers I inherited off a mate and I'm finding it hard to find the enthusiasm. The models are just so mediocre. Long overdue an update.
I painted some recently and had exactly the opposite reaction - I was surprised how well the sculpts had held up. Compared to some of the overly-detailed crap that's coming out these days, they were actually kind of fun to paint.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

goose willis posted:

For priming fleshy poo poo like poxwalkers do you prefer black, grey, or white

TheChirurgeon posted:

prime everything black

always

never compromise
Jesus, gently caress, this is the worst advice ever, and you assholes should know better. What, are your trying to provoke more enraged honking in this thread? "I took your advice and primed my stuff black and now my models look like poo poo because it took me 20 coats of (too thick) paint to cover it decently!" followed shortly by "How do I strip models?"

Goose, unless you want to spend all your time painting MANY layers of fleshy poo poo over black to get good, consistent coverage that doesn't look drab and lovely, do yourself a favor and start over gray. Only go with white if you want your base tone to be some kind of super-vibrant, light primary color (like red or yellow).

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

ijyt posted:

No-one is saying you can't, it's just easier on grey.

^^^ This.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Corrode posted:

You've been playing 40k for like six weeks dude, maybe save the tactics advice for when you have a clue.
Yeah, but he's not wrong. Which in and of itself is something of a critique of 40K's "tactical complexity" (or lack thereof).

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Pierzak posted:

If you have the terrain to play Infinity correctly, why would you want to play 40k? :v:
This guy gets it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

goose willis posted:

I live in a pretty small apartment building and it's just a lobby entrance and there has never been a time when they couldn't get in because there's always this old racist lady that sits in the lobby waiting for the mail around noon and I would be loving shocked if she didn't let them in
There's your answer right there; your new mail carrier is black, and the racist old lady actually wouldn't let him in. QED

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
They also released Tallarn Rough Riders. I have like 10 of them, but only 3 are painted.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Arven posted:

Does anyone else have the problem that literally every Guard army looks awesome, and I want to have an army of each? It tooks me years to finish my Mordian army, I really can't justifying spending another 300$ on metal minis.
The dumbest thing GW ever did was get rid of the Doctrines thing in the 4th Ed IG Codex. That one book made me want to buy no fewer than three different Guard armies, and I made decent progress on two of them. Then they "vanilla-ized" everything in 5th and I lost interest.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Seeing the same named characters in every list to me speaks of a failure of balance, while also eroding any immersion people have with the setting. The fact that the King of Space is constantly getting involved in these tiny conflicts is madness.
^^^ This. Every AdMech army is Mars conclave, and every one includes Cawl. The synergies are just too good to leave on the table unless you are ridiculously serious about your commitment to fluff. It's just like how in 7th, every IG army had a Pask-isher. When a unit (especially a named character) becomes an auto-include, the game is worse off for it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Zuul the Cat posted:

He's not unkillable.
The problem is not his killability (a technical term, to be sure), but rather the fact that he's basically an auto-include. He's SO good that it's difficult to justify leaving him out of your list. It's cool for you (in particular) that he also fits your fluff, but if you wanted to play a Forge World other than Mars, you are essentially boned by comparison.

And this isn't something that's limited to characters. Any time there's a unit type or weapon option that so good you wouldn't consider fielding anything else (e.g. grav-guns under 7th), the game as a whole suffers for it. Similarly, if a unit is so bad that you'd only field it under duress, then what's the point? A well-designed unit or character is either situational (use this unit if your mission objectives require you to move fast or far, use this unit if you need to kill vehicles, etc) or is pointed appropriately such that taking it or not taking it is a valid choice.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Having just listened to the latest episode of the 40K Badcast (while painting historicals, no less - hahaha, gently caress you!), I have to take issue with one of the comments about the "Catachan models." In point of fact, the original 40K Catachan minis are loving bad-rear end. I am speaking, of course, of the metal sculpts first done in the 90's (they are the same vintage as the other regiments like the Mordians, Tallarns, and Valhallans). They are beefy and buff and ridiculous in that delightfully 2nd Ed way. They also made loving fantastic penal legion troopers, for instance:

These should not be confused with the poorly-sculpted-and-even-more-poorly-fitting plastic Catachan kit, which I think all discerning observers will agree are derpy-as-gently caress and just generally awful. I feel it was remiss of our esteemed hosts to fail to draw said distinction.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Mugaaz posted:

Without going into nitty gritty specifics, compared to GW prices, how much are people paying percentage wise for recasts that are decent?
About a third.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Missed most of the recast chat, but quality varies wildly. I've seen stuff where you couldn't tell the difference and stuff that was just awful. Your mileage will vary. FW has pretty poo poo quality control, so I don't think you're losing much by going with :china:

Where I think recasting is worthwhile is in getting bits. GW is generally pretty good about designing weapons that are modular (arm swaps on dreads, for instance), but a lot of times if there are maybe three different weapon options, and they might all have one part in common. And of course there's only one of those on the original sprue. So you either build your model with only one of its weapon options hard-wired, or you get casts of the one bit you need to make them swappable. I have zero problems with that, because it saves me the rear end-pain of making the mold and casting the piece myself (which I have done in the past).

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Yeast posted:

Are you a bad enough dude to keep the floors clean?
Are you a bad enough dude not to end a sentence in your classified ad in a preposition?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Corrode posted:

Yeah dark skin is legitimately harder to paint well and make pop for obvious reasons...
Bullshit.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

chutche2 posted:

He's saying it takes more skill than lighter skin, not that it can't be done.
That too is an argument with which I fundamentally disagree. I find darker skin-tones are actually easier than pasty honky-flesh. They're certainly easier to touch up if you gently caress up stuff like the eyes.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

titty_baby_ posted:

Those perry guys look good, it's nuts how cheap they are comparing to gw
Welcome to the wonderful world of historicals, friend! (also: joooiiiinn uuuuussssss!)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Pendent posted:

Every. Single. Time.
The Repulsor still looks like dogshit. Mortarion is still busy-as-gently caress. The new Typhus is still awful.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

ijyt posted:

Trick question, 40k is never a fun time.
I never thought I'd say this, but ijyt gets it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

goose willis posted:

Pulp-free? What a peasant
Huh. You really are always wrong. Fascinating.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Corrode posted:

...the game is complete irredeemable poo poo.
This part is also correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Corrode posted:

Do they start over?
7 previous editions of 40K indicate this is the correct answer.