Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

BuffaloChicken, I used your black eyes white iris formula on my Aberrants and the effect loving rocks. I might have to go back and do it on all my Cult infantry now :gonk:

Let's see em m8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
This might be worst thread material but I made a sentinel powerlifter for my GSC

They put a v12 from one of their limos in it and the patriarch controls it with his force of will

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

That "feminist 40k" (not the anti one) fb page made so many incels ree so hard

Edit: but yeah hopefully they follow through with their I QUIT reeing like they did when Marvel made a character African American

I thought this was a cool and good post

https://geekandsundry.com/how-and-why-miniature-wargame-companies-are-choosing-to-embrace-diversity/

muggins fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 15, 2017

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

One company makes really good female heads that are in scale with Sigmarines... Would look good on space Marines I imagine

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

Right before this, a guy who made a YouTube career out of harassing Magic personalities (especially women) got banned when a cosplayer quit the scene because of him and a bunch of other victims decided to speak out. Predictably, he decided to play the victim for having his "free speech" violated.

Wizards of the Coast is extremely on the inclusivity train and it's not going over well with the alt-right dirtbags.

Isn't this the same MTG guy

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Got my genestealer cult dice made!

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Entropy238 posted:

I'm still a noob at 40K, but wouldn't the GSC Psychic Power Mass Hypnosis be an effective counter to this? (WC 7. A visible unit within 18" can't Overwatch, Fights last even if it charges, and suffers -1 to hit)

I brought a GSC Supreme Command Detachment of 3 Magi last game and was able to nullify overwatch on all of his auto-hit weapons. It's insanely good.
According to matched play rules, this can only be successfully cast one per turn right?

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I have also really discovered the key weakness with Genestealer Cult (but applicable to any glass cannon assault forces): any squad is a single 2CP activation away from being merc'd right off the table before doing a lick of damage. T3 5+ has to strike first in all cases or it'll be a total waste of points. I've repeatedly run into this scenario:

I hear you about GSC being so weak. I know 8th edition is less snowflakey but GSC need something to even the odds, not just lower points values. I wonder if a rule like what they have for whips right now would help (always fight no matter what if they die). Wouldn't help survivability but it would help once you get there. A hit modifier showing how stealthy they are would help but they're pretty toxic and not fun to play against. I dunno

I think in the case of 2CP fight now, they can only do it once per turn, right?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Yeast posted:

Scout Sentinels are also excellent.

Before the game they get a free 9" movement, so you extend a further 9" bubble from your lines to prevent deep strikers. It's pretty great.

Arm them with Heavy Flamers to get a fun overwatch.

And they're still one of the sweetest models gw had made

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

TKIY posted:

With new synapse ranges devilgants work great. 180 S4 shots is like the history eraser button.

Just throw them in a pod, or bring them up with Raveners if you are using Jormangundr. Three Raveners gives you a huge deployment area.

Is 180 shots from two groups of 30?

NM it's the stratagem isn't it

muggins fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 19, 2017

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Dihk and I are gonna do a goongame™ at ADEPTICON this year - I'm also doing AoS and 40k stuff, in case we wanted to have a GoonMeet™

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

These are pretty cool tbh

https://hexy-shop.com/product-category/accessories/markers-tokens/

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Tauroxes Prime becoming stupidly good and Chimeras losing command vehicle (and not getting a points drop to match) means there isn't a lot of call for poor 'ol Chimera round these parts no more.

Why are Taurox Primes so good?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Pendent posted:

You'd hope they would actually finish the normal Mechanicum range before releasing Dark Mechanicum. They have some pretty major holes.

It'd be sweet if some of the smaller factions got more stuff but I don't really see gw doing the massive army list model again, tbh

GSC are pretty woeful in terms of variety but you can use IG and Tyranids, it'd just be cool if they added more unique stuff

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Uroboros posted:

So, I've noticed we have a much larger number of goons going to Adepticon this year. If you guys are interested in a GoonMeet go ahead and send me a PM and I'll get a list of contacts thrown together.

In 2016 Boon was the only goon I was able to track down, and 2017 I ran into a total of three goons.

This year I'll have a posse of 16-20 individuals representing my 40k "team" and I know Naramyth will have something close to that in addition to whichever goons make themselves known. I doubt everyone will want to do the same thing, but maybe we can get some sort of meeting worked out. I am sure everyone will have different schedules and availabilities.

Sent m8

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

We played a scenario from Shield of Baal that I adapted to 8th Edition - it was fun! The libby dread eventually charged my Leman Russ and did 16 damage... But not before I overwatched a multi Melta onto it for six damage. Then my leman russ blew up and took the dread with it!

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Corrode posted:

Great pictures. Two nice armies.

Thanks m8

My acolytes killed Chaplain Lemartes =D

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Which mat is that?

It's a tablewar mat from when they were with Frontline
I think tablewar still makes them

Guy Goodbody posted:

What are these extra spikes in the Trygon kit for? I don't see them used in the instructions

I think they go in the side of its body - there are a few little nubs where you glue them in

You can see then on this dude

muggins fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 30, 2017

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

At 85 pounds it'd be cheaper probably by $20 to have one shipped from Britain to the USA. GW lied (about exchange rates), Nurgle died

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Black rim supremacy.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

I'm really hoping they do something to bump up the capabilities of of GSC in the codex so I can get back to painting them (ugh why do I want to paint another horde army). It seems like an army that lives and dies by Strategem and without them they're a bit lackluster. Hopefully GW gives them the flavorful treatment they gave "regular" Tyranid so we can mix things up a bit.

This is from last page but I really hope they do cool stuff. The main weakness I see right now is how weak everything is - they just melt to bolters and flamers and lasguns . I don't know what to do about that but something would be nice that isn't just take 2x the number of models

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

great big cardboard tube posted:

I realize this is a pretty broad question but do any armies currently stand out as especially good or bad choices for someone (re)starting/learning the hobby fully from scratch? In terms of both the $ cost to collect a playable amount of points and the difficulty involved playing/modeling/painting them.

As a genestealer cult player, I'd avoid them for now. They're pretty expensive / per model and you need a lot of them. And right now my experience has been that they're garbage.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Blood and Skulls Industry makes amazing Leman Russ parts

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I wrote up a thing to play World of Tanks on the table using 40k stuff - any goons wanna read it and let me know what you think? I hope this link works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2h1xb68ige55oan/Welcome%20to%20the%20world%20of%2040k%20tanks.pdf?dl=0

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

@badcast bros: really enjoyed ep23. 40k only podcasts can be really samey but you guys stand apart. Loved the Necromunda and Teen Meat chat - I was pretty down on the way they re-released it but it helped create some enthusiasm for me.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Gilgameshback posted:

Even for BoLS this is outstandingly stupid:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/01/40k-op-ed-alternating-actions-would-kill-40k.html

This is an op-ed that professes to make an argument for why alternating activations would "kill" 40k. The reason the author gives is "it wouldn't be 40k" without the current turn structure. This rests on the idea that players moving all their units on their turns is a core part of the Warhammer experience and could not be removed without inventing a new game. I get that their writers are churning out 250 word articles just to get clicks and comments but even by that standard this is just so bad.

Lmaooooooo

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Pendent posted:

I've never seen somebody come up with a solution for doing alternating activation in 40k that doesn't sound clunky. Tokens seem like the most likely way to go about things but I think that would seem sort of weird.
I love the concept because it would do a lot to mitgate the issues the game has with alpha strikes etc. at the moment, I just don't know that it really fits the scale at which most people play.

It could be done, and it'd make the game better. Things would have to change, for sure.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Farecoal posted:

What's wrong with the current turn system?

Also, does Rogue Trader = 40K 1st Edition? I always Rogue Trader was a spin-off tabletop RPG

IGOUGO encourages alpha strikes, makes it so one player basically checks out for a half hour to an hour, and takes less strategic thinking

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I've seen people say AA would take longer and I can't really believe it. I've played numerous AA games and IGOUGO games and when you give someone an entire 'turn' to move and shoot their stuff it takes a long rear end time. There is no urgency. If we're each taking turns moving stuff it moves rapidly and there really isn't a problem.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I'm going to do a combat Patrol and a friendly game with dihk at adepticon. I've heard combat Patrol can still be kind of not fun ruthless so I hope I have a good experience.

I finished this Hellhound / devil dog for my gsc

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Uroboros posted:

Looks like you got the base colors down very nicely.

Might I suggest some shading and dry brushing on the less vibrant metal parts like the treads? It might help those areas pop a bit more.

Tbh the treads are heavily mud weathered, it wouldn't show up

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

FromTheShire posted:

I like that blue, who is that from?

Vallejo Game Colors Jade green

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Uroboros posted:

Also, on the topic of Combat Patrol, there is a reason I decided to go with Zone Mortalis only and pass up on the other small scale 40k stuff. Combat Patrol has had a couple problems.

1) Terrain - All the other more important games kind of suck up the big fancy terrain pieces. You will be lucky to have a good piece of LoS blocking terrain beyond your standard hills.
2) First Turn - In 7th going first could be a real nut puncher.
3) Speed/Range Kills - If it can't move across or shoot across the board, don't take it.

My first Adepticon was 2016, where I participated in 2 Combat Patrols. The first one I ran a couple tactical squads with assault cents, and quickly learned that was the worst possible choice. I followed that up by switching to 2x 5-Man Tacs Squads sporting Grav-Cannons in Rhinos and single StormTalon, and snagged 1st place for the effort.

2017 before 8th hit I played roughly the same thing but subbed out the Talon for a Thunderfire Cannon. I went max points on all but my last match where I narrowly lost, costing me the event. Ultimately, when I compare it to Zone Mortalis it didn't seem very challenging tactically. A lot of my opponents literally had zero chance of winning purely based on my list design. I remember a Dark Eldar player who I forced his Dark Lances to jink, making all his poison shots useless against my Rhinos.

I couldn't begin to tell you if 8th will make combat patrol better or worse, but with highly accurate deep striking as an option I can see things getting pretty formulaic.

😮

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Immanentized posted:

Anyone order a table from firmer terra? Curious to know what their processing time is like. Ordered last week and haven't received a shipping notice yet or anything.

I haven't, but I'm gonna check them out at AdeptiCon, they're on the vendor list

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I played a 1250 game with my gsc vs my buddy's unpainted dark Eldar, cyclops demo vehicles are hilarious

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Uroboros posted:

I'm curious what everyone has left to finish to be ready for the convention.

I have to paint 20 gsc acolytes, a Goliath truck, and ten ironjawz brutes for AoS

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Ah, good ol' Pando. Pretty sure I got a good third of my Guard army out of that used bin, though the selection isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

I wouldn't actually know how bad the local hams there are though, since when I go it's to exclusively play friends from college and we ignore everyone else :v:

Wuddup fellow Michigoons

I'm up near Flint

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Naramyth posted:

Tony also never got past 2 in the entire event. He slow plays and the only reason he played faster in the final game is because of the judge standing there.

He is a piece of poo poo.

I'm also a piece of poo poo nobody who went 1-2-1 And dropped because I didn't have any skin in the event to hang out with all my friends in Vegas. It was a much more enjoyable time. My last game was against 300 orks and spoiler we didn't get past turn 2.

Lmao

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

susan posted:

I would in all seriousness want to see actual Chess Clocks integrated into more mini-game tournaments. It's so frickin' easy in 40k; give each player 1:15 (round times are 2:30 usually, right?), and when your opponent makes Armor Checks/Overwatch Shots/etc just flip over to them. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

People on dakka dakka screeched about this idea for pages and pages

The idea of using something from wmh scares the poo poo out of them

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Years ago. Maybe over a decade?

Then it was Memphis, did they move from there now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Lungboy posted:

When did the term "soup" become a thing? It's as irritating as bubblewrap and all the other lovely things that have cropped up over the years.

One of the worst things about Warhammer