Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Alright just came back from my first 8e game and first 40k game in like over a decade. It was my Admech patrol + Imperial Guard patrol detachment vs my friend's Necrons in a Scouring Mission. I was kinda blown away by how well the guard did, the Company Commander just followed an infantry and Scion squad around and kept yelling orders at them and they did some serious work. They crushed a small squad of immortals, a ton of scarabs and almost took down a full squad of warriors, though the bastards kept getting back up no matter how many I took down!

Sniped the Lord to death with Arquebuses but other than that my Admec didn't really do so well, a lot of it was my fault since I didn't deploy my Dominus and Vanguard optimally so they barely affected the games outcome. I was also kinda disappointed with my crawling killamagig Onager, he scored wound after wound on the enemy necron crawler thing with the neutron laser but nothing stuck, just kept fizzling out on it's shield.

At the end of turn five I had taken half the board and he had the other but he had more victory points so I lost out but it was still a drat fun game, pretty quick even though we kept checking the rulebook and our wargear lists just about every turn. Also we both completely forgot about our command points, that would have helped in a few places. Really making me consider working on a full Guard or even a Guard + Genestealer Cult army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cainer
May 8, 2008

The Bee posted:

I can understand wanting to focus on the first founding chapters primarily, but once the 3 non-codex marines are done I hope we also get Black Templars and Legion of the Damned. After all, 8th edition could theoretically hold the same framework for a long while, right? That means full codex updates may not be needed.

I really hope the Space Sharks get some love, after I'm done my Admec I wanna start them up.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

Wait, the auspex is getting rules? That thing's been nothing but decoration for years.

Admec has them, they just deny cover saves from targets of the squad. Also can't help but notice the new space marine stabbers stole our -1 LD radius thing! How dare they!

Cainer
May 8, 2008

WhiteWolf123 posted:

The AdMech will lose their ability because the Index specifically says so.

The Marines will function the same (but their auras, spells and transports, etc. won't benefit the AdMech in the same detachment).

I agree with this guy and always have, there is no proof of any failure at reading comprehension on my part. Also the thread ends here so don't bother reading any more posts below this one.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 14, 2017

Cainer
May 8, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Hes not though. He said hes building a battalion detachment, using both armies to fill all the slots.

Oh! Sorry I'm dumb.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
I was really hoping after the decent index prices that codex's were not gonna be completely off the moon, freaking yikes.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

FiestaNinja posted:

I'd almost put down money on imperial civil war being on the cards. Making the Ministorum its own named faction is way too obvious.

e:and all the tech-heresy

I really hope tech-heresy translates into giant mechanical death spiders, that's some heresy I could 100% get behind. Dark Mechanicus would be such a fun faction, machines, chaotic flesh monsters, robo psykers, the list of cool poo poo just goes on and on.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Any word on a Primaris Tech-Marine? I would like to supplement my Admec with some primaris but want a techy leader for them.

Edit: vvvv That is too bad, a bigger marine with mechadendrites and power wrenches would have been rad.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 24, 2017

Cainer
May 8, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

I guess I have a deep hatred of "opponents permission" rules because I've played with too many shitlords who would never give permission for anything they thought might beat them.

Ya the permission thing was always dumb for that very reason. I rarely ever got to play my old Dark Eldar humonculous hero because of that, can't even remember his name it's been so long since 3rd. Nowadays I dislike using hero's since I prefer my own dudes but I have no beef with other people wanting to use their's. Making them required is dumb as all hell though.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Can't we all just talk about how cool Sydonian Dragoons look? Seriously one of the coolest models in the game and I need a bunch for my Admec.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Thanqol posted:

Jesus, I know. Some AdMech guy somewhere said, "yes, we are going to have a giant robotic chicken piloted by a limbless gimp, surrounded by a cloud of incense, ridden by a man in shining plate armour carrying a cattle prod longer than he is tall, and we are going to use it to cavalry charge the enemy. This is a good idea. This is how warfare in the year 41,000 should be."

And the best part is that thought process nails the entire Adeptus Mechanicus thought process to a T. That model alone is why I'm collecting AdMech.

I wanna get some Kataphron once I'm done painting my last squad of Vanguard but I keep hearing the Dragoon temptress's seductive song. I have no idea if it will even do good on the board, especially solo, but it's just so rad!

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Those are some drat fine stratagems, I can't wait till we see what Admec get. Something suitably beep boop would be rad.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

jadebullet posted:

And here we have my Wolf Lord in Gravis Armor.

Dude looks so surprised, did he slip? How hard is it to stand up in all that armor, especially with all that snow?

Cainer
May 8, 2008

GreenMarine posted:

I had the thought tonight that they are setting up Calgar to fall to chaos.

I don't think he'll fall till Bobby G replaces him with Marneus Biggar.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

FiestaNinja posted:

Painted up a different kind of primaris...

Oh nice I used to use that model as my old Inquisitor lord for my Witch Hunters army. He makes a nice Primaris Pysker too, might have to throw him into my guard detachment for some psyker fun. Here he is next to my newest admecy buddy, man I need to learn how to take better pics.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Kore_Fero posted:

I could be wrong, but I think Codex Tac squads need to have 10 guys to take heavy/specials now.

Nope, codex says 1 special or heavy weapon if you have 9 or less marines or 1 special and 1 heavy if you are at 10.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Galaspar posted:

These are some of the most gloriously foul models GW ever made.

I just love how happy they are, Nurgle is really showing up Slaanesh in the party department.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Bombogenesis posted:

This is why everyone should just play what they think is the most awesome looking army.

But then everyone would play Admec.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yeah, I know they work for some people. In my experience, they've been a waste of points. My Rangers have killed less than 5 guys in the entire time i've had them. I've just stopped taking them. Kataphron Destroyers are better.

I really hope Rangers get a bump up in the codex, they are some of the coolest looking models in my army but I only use them MSU for sniping. That ap-1 on 6's is so underwhelming and I hope they change it to always ap-1. Or maybe give them infiltrate or something.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Zuul the Cat posted:

I only have 2 Kastelan's at the moment, but i've been running them with the datasmith and my tech-priest dominus behind them. They did work against my friends Necrons last game, but I lost one to shooting against some Immortals.

The one unit that really surprised me were the Fulgurite Electro-Priests. I know they seem lovely on paper, but man they are mean as hell. Dishing out those mortal wounds on 6's is just brutal. I only had 5 of them and ran them in between my Kastelan Robots and my Tech-Priest/Datasmith. They first charged a unit of scarabs (which took 2 turns to wipe), then charged a command barge, which fled out of combat. They they turned around and charged a unit of warriors and killed them. They finally died to mass combined shooting from an annihilation barge, the command barge, the immortals and a 2nd unit of warriors.

If AdMech ever get a transport, Fulgurite Electro-Priests are going to be a top tier unit.

A transport, a flyer, a BIGGER ROBOT or a robopysker in a box would be awesome. On the subject of Electro-Clowns, I've seen a dude at my FLGS play them and they're disgustingly strong but they're just so gosh darn ugly I won't ever let them in my force. I have a strict "you have to be 'this' cool to die for me in battle" rule. I'd have to settle for Rustwalkers.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
I don't know, they just don't do it for me. Need more robo pieces and/or cooler robes.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

More likely the Necromunda remake they've been teasing.

Are they seriously re-releasing Necromunda?! I can finally bring out my old redeemers and repaint them cause as my first models they're ugly as sin?! I really hope this is a real thing, small skirmish games like it, Shadow War and Mordheim have always been my favorite part of 40k.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

Can't help but feel the allusions to Necromunda in WD were referring to that video game adaptation they announced a year ago.

Man I hope not, especially if it's anything like the Mordheim pc game.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

chutche2 posted:

It's the mordheim game reskinned. Same dev.

Despair. Oh well, maybe I can sucker some people into a Shadow War campaign next week.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Flea Bargain posted:

EDIT: Is this showing up for people? If I open the images separately they show, but looking at it on SA they're broken. Weird. You can see the album here.

They're broken on SA, not sure why since I see them on Imgur. That is a ton of cool stuff, especially all the terrain.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 4, 2017

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Zuul the Cat posted:

So i'm thinking of picking up a null-maiden rhino, a sisters of silence squad and a Culexus assassin to run with my AdMech to shut down Psykers, which have been the bane of my existence for a while.

Has anyone used them? I'm thinking of kitting out 9 of them as Vigilators and sticking those 9 and the assassin in the Rhino.

I really hope Admec get's something pysky or anti-psyker in the codex, or at least a way to ally them in without losing canticles.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'd rather them not get a psyker or anti-Psyker unit. It doesn't fit with their fluff.

It's dumb that you lose canticles completely though for taking anything else. It should be like Space Marine Chapter tactics and just not apply to anything that doesn't have the Mechanicum keyword.

Could be fluffy if done right, I could easily see Admec building a catapult that launches nulled servo skulls at pyskers or something. Servitors are the answer to all life's problems.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Holy poo poo yes! I cannot wait to get me some new redeemers and start SCOURGE AND PURGING again!

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Especially since there is no reason not to supercharge with an already dead helblaster!

Who doesn't supercharge all their shots? Do people not have faith in The Omnissiah?

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Why bother rolling dice? Just gaslight your opponent into thinking you won.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

Panascope alt account

I'm not sure who that is, I have a feeling... bad dude?

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Ya I don't think we'll get a transport either. I just hope our less useful Troops get some buffs in the new codex, like getting back the old double-wound rules for vanguard's cancer guns(the new double damage thing has yet to ever do anything for me), something to make rangers a unit I want to take over literally any of the other Troops choice options like Infiltrate or just straight up better Advancing rules. The old Scout and Crusader rules they used to have were really nice.

New robots and a flyer would be pretty rad, I still need to pick up some stompy Kastelons for my army but I think I'm just gonna hold off till the codex hits to see what happens. I still have an Onager, a couple of vanguard and my new Kataphron Destroyers to paint anyway, no point throwing on an even bigger workload till they're done.

I cannot wait to see what our Strategems are, though they are probably just the old skittles Doctrina Imperatives with varying Command Point costs. Hopefully since they will cost CP they won't have the downsides to them.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Endman posted:

I hope the Admech codex has some new HQs. It's a bit rough having just Cawl and the Dominus

Still hoping they make the Enginseer into a mini HQ, I grabbed and painted one just a while ago, love the model.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

!Klams posted:

I really hate the models for kastellan robots but I really love the rules, they're exactly what I need against primaris. Any ideas of models I could use as a proxy that are a bit more dieselpunk, or at least a bit more skitariish?

I'm thinking of picking up the 30k equivalents, they look so rad.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Corrode posted:

6 new forge worlds which will see no use as Cawl continues to be a mandatory choice. Thanks GW.

While I don't use Cawl, I have already painted most of my army in Mars red and some in cream cause I needed to paint something different and I think it looks rad.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

Mortarion is $AU230 :staredog:

Is there a source on that cause more expensive than a knight? That is amazing.

Edit:VVVV Well I have a nurgle friend who is not going to be super pleased. Good year blimp, I know it's GW but there has to be a roof on this somewhere.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 9, 2017

Cainer
May 8, 2008

JackMack posted:

Goonpocalyptic image dump ahoy. I will add some not fun comments on my computer imminently

drat that Calvary looks really nice, sad no guard around here uses them. I wonder how they perform.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Zuul the Cat posted:

Kataphrons (as of the index) can already advance and shoot with no negative modifiers to shooting, but only get to advance D3". I think all of their guns, except for the Flamer and Phosphor Blaster, are all heavy.

Well no, Kataphrons can move and shoot without negative modifiers, they have no such rule for advancing.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Zuul the Cat posted:

Oh, I see what you're saying. They can't both advance and shoot, correct?

Ya basically, they really should have worded that rule a bit differently. Like "Can move and shoot heavy weapons without suffering the -1 but they can only advance d3'''

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Really? Yahtzee? Not Mouse Trap?