Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
The reroll thing continues being unintuitive and causing problems. the way it is may be initially simpler and need fewer sentences but is super short sighted.

They reaaaaally could have just fixed that by making all 'reroll 1s' only trigger on natural ones. Its not like they were redoing the entire game or anything and could have put it on all the data sheets...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

ANAmal.net posted:

I should post a fuller rundown of it, but here's my review of DC/Baltimore Ham Slam Part 1: a dude deployed 69 guardsmen and everyone shouted "NICE", and then I woke up on the couch at 6AM and instantly puked. 5/5 would goon slam again.

Didn't even plan it. My 500 pt list just ended up with that many. I never got to deploy them though as my 1k doesn't have such shamefully small numbers.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

Question about GW Customer Service - I ordered a box off eBay that was unopened and still shrink wrapped. When I opened it, one of the sprues was busted - the weapons on the mini were broken off and I couldn't find it in the box.

Will they send me out a replacement bit, or would I have to return it through eBay?

They quite likely have your back since it was still in the shrinkwrap.

Though I doubt they'd make any fuss even if it weren't.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
And if you include all the pertinent numbers first go the CSR will be happy and possibly more forgiving.

E:not that it sounds like there's anything to forgive here. But if anything is off it does help to make it super easy for them to just help you.

Felime fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 17, 2017

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

How in the hell do people edge highlight so perfectly thin and straight? :saddowns:

Some people have steady hands. I can't claim to be 'good' but going in and doing the best you can, then going back in with your base color and fixing all of your myriad fuckups gives decent results.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Absolutely not. But assembly-line painting isn't dipping.

What we're saying is washing is already stupid fast. Washing takes like a second compared to actual painting like basecoating or highlights. Its SUPER fast. So there's not much reason to speed up washes and just go lazy dipping instead, when we have all these great wash pigments we could use instead and could be just the littlest bit careful about where we apply the wash as we go, instead of just dunking.

Like if you wanna speed up your models, do a basecoat and a wash and stop there. Skip the detail highlights. Skipping the washing to do a dunk doesn't really make much sense.

You seem really mad that people want to paint models differently and enjoy the hobby in different ways. Plenty of people play for the game more than painting, but like having a fully painted army out. (And anybody with their poo poo painted should be applauded.) If you're doing a horde, a few minutes a model can save you a shitload of time as well.

There is no real functional difference between a full model wash and dipping, apart from the substance used. I've even seen people add future floor polish to washes as a flow aid, as those tend to give a very smooth gradient, which you also get from a dip. A full model wash quickly brings different colors together. Hell, I've seen examples where someone did a dip as a shortcut for a full wash then went back over with highlights. Far from lazy.

The floor waxes and dips also essentially varnish the model, meaning you get to skip another step if that is your end point.

In the end it's a technique. If the end result of that technique is what you want, or something you are happy with, there's no real reason not to use it.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

How did anything in my post sound mad? Relax duder

You can read any bit of text like its "angry" without any inherent tone, but absolutely nothing about that post was inherently "angry". Seriously read it again.

Nothing about that post said anything about how people suck if they don't paint like me. I just made a simple argument that dipping instead of washing gives you practically zero benefit at some cost. That's just a logical argument, no anger.

I mean honestly right back atcha? You seem really mad that I don't like dipping! :cheeky: Comeon dude. Lets skip the "yer so mad!"

Fair enough. I might have read it as more derisive than intended. Thought I remembered someone sounding mad. I'll check after work when I am not phone posting.

Still plenty of reasons to use a dip. If you're assembly lining it and ok with a mess it is apparently super fast. And the effect is fine if a full wash is what you want.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

What other ones are any good? I like Independent Characters a lot but kinda can't stand Chapter Tactics.

Preferred enemies is good. Badcast definitely best though.

And brigade is great for guard. I am a bad man and field one in 1000 points too.

Brigades and scions. 2 Scion squads and a boss Scion are my MVPs. Pricey, but they eat 2 troops and an hq. If they survive to shoot twice at good targets the game is pretty much over a lot of the time.

Some favor the command squads, but 6 extra bodies is great for keeping them alive, and hellguns are no joke against non vehicles.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
By the way, any baltigoons want to meet up at games and stuff this weekend?

Also someone mentioned a Facebook group which I can't find. Should I just start one for the dc/va/MD goons?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

In addition to the thumb it took me a while to figure out that he wasn't holding a belt menacingly.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

They haven't really done that for years. I've had to call them for a few things in the past 5(?) years and have only received the part I've called about - I'm sure it was due to assholes abusing the system, as usual.

The last email I sent them was for two pots of Tallarn Sand that were dried before I opened the pots. The guy wanted the lot numbers (which I couldn't find) before he would send replacements. I responded that I couldn't find the lots, but not to worry about it - there were plenty of other paint ranges I can switch to. I got two replacements in the mail a few days later.

The lot number does actually help them with QC. Though I'm surprised he didn't just ask for pictures instead when you couldn't find the lot number.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Nurgle loves all his followers, and all life. Even the little gribblies and germs and stuff. (Especially the gribblies and plagues.) In addition to being a god of death and decay he is also a god of life and renewal, and of hope. You accept nurgle because he offers hope and love and joy in a cold, unloving galaxy. Maybe it involves coexisting with a colony of maggots that live under your collarbone, but that's ok. Nurgle loves them too, and so do you. They're your pets and you've named every little one, and the day one matures into a beautiful fly will be the happiest day in your life. Just like every other day.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Split it up by faction at the very least.

If you put ALL of it up as one lot you are only going to get buyers looking to split it up at a profit, so you'll make a fraction of what it is worth. Splitting it up by faction at least opens you up to some buyers looking to shortcut the people splitting it up at a profit.

I don't know AUS prices, but the imperial guard/astra militarum tanks could probably easily go for $20-30 USD each in a huge lot in the US, probably closer to $30. There's a bit of variance, but I'd totally put them up as an auction at $25 USD each and see who bites. It's australia, so it'd probably go much higher.

Edit: Possibly less for any vehicles you don't have tracks for. each of those track sprues UI believe goes to one imperial guard vehicle.

Felime fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 4, 2017

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

goose willis posted:

Imagine they sent another Dark Imperium box :eyepop:

They will likely toss however many bases fit in a small clamshell blister backand send those in a padded envelope in case one breaks. Shipping a dark imperium box ain't cheap.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

ANAmal.net posted:

My favorite thing about TheChirurghams is looking at the models he painted in loving middle school and realizing that I will never be that good. It's honestly worse than the fact that I get creamed in every game we play. The dude has got no mercy.

Says the man who beat 6 goons simultaneously. Do not believe this man's lies.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Naramyth posted:

Beating six goons is like beating six 4 year olds. Try not to trip over that bar.

What if I told you everyone else was sobered up to drive home while anamal was still pounding them (it was his house)?

He's just trying to lull you all into a false sense of security.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Your dreadnought appears to be dabbing. I suggest bringing up that he should be a better example to his little brothers.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I have a kr cardboard box I got with an eBay lot, and it is great. Really sturdy even without the outer case. The foam is nice too. Lots of give for those point bits, and it isn't porous enough they get caught in it.

Just don't store metal models in a full width tray. It is soft and will totally droop and be hard to maneuver out of the case. Plastic is fine though.

I really need to pick up a full case from them.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I am legit jazzed for skullbox. 100% buying on release.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Three hundred fourty skulls on the sprue. Clip one off, clean the mold lines... Three hundred ninety nine skulls on the sprue.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Just give in to it and wear it as a badge of pride.

Seriously, I'm waiting on an avatar until I piss someone off enough to earn one. Unfortunately I'm not actually all that infuriating.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Also there are treaties about weapons in space.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I am definitely feeling the lack of codex even with my guard. They hold up well mostly due to tempestus and normal infantry being good on their own. But lacking strategems & warlord traits hurts.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I feel like with the pretty good female models gw is putting out, plastic sisters are likely... But maybe that is just hope against evidence.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

It isn't. A painting service did a giveaway for it.

But it's still rad as gently caress.

Waiting on my Talons of the Emperor set to arrive, along with some Sisters of Silence bits i ordered off Shapeways.

I don't think i'm going to be able to replicate that color of gold, but we'll see what I can do. I grabbed the Legio Custodes transfer sheet from Forgeworld as well, so I can add some stuff do the Land Raider & two Contemptor Dreadnoughts I grabbed.

You should ask the painting service what colors/ method they used and tell them you're trying to roughly match your custodes. I doubt they'd refuse to share.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I have used custodes. Only Spears so far, but they are dead killy and very resilient unless dedicated multi wound killing is brought to bear, and plasmas don't quite do it.

I play guard so they were more for counter charging than shoving into the enemy, but with an army that comes in with them they likely would be able to get in and wreck face.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Send some to me. I only have three left.

If you seriously need some hit me up. I've got tons and it's an excuse to actually meet up for a game sometime.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

goose willis posted:

:eyepop:

Did they seriously sell that poo poo at normal GW prices too

I mean of course they would

Yes, they do. They've transitioned to actual resin molds, (With a fuckload of venting because the models were sculpted to be spincast in metal). And the resin is still poo poo.

If you have even the slightest problem, contact customer service. They know it's poo poo, and they committed to sending out a replacement when I had an issue before I could get pictures up.

I don't give a gently caress about their business structure. They should have contracted out to forgeworld for the resin casting, or found one of the better recasters and hired their rear end, because recasters put out stuff way better than finecast and have experience porting models not meant for resin to the material.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

adamantium|wang posted:

I remember in the early days of Finecast you'd sometimes see bright pink or yellow bits attached to the models. Took people a while to realise that those were actually parts of the mold that were stuck to the sprues which would explain the consistent deformations in the other models on the rack.

Also the ever-growing number of vents and channels haphazardly added to extremities. Good times.

As someone who has made a couple silicone molds that is super typical of a lovely mold made by someone who doesn't know what they are doing and a part not meant for the medium. The extra vents are pretty much identical to my efforts to salvage bad molds with bits that trap bubbles.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I think they are pretty close, but the exterminator is probably more reliable. Over a full tank army the mbt probably averages out about as good but as a single tank I need to try the exterminator, as my mbt often does bubkis.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Pendent posted:

So if I throw a five man squad in an anti-infantry Repulsor I can probably just stop worrying about large masses of enemy infantry?

Doesn't a lot of their firepower come from not moving, and disembarking counts as moving?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Nobody Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly wants to sell your stuff when the manufacturer has already undercut retail prices significantly on kickstarter.

Bones kinda gets away with it because Reaper Bones is already a budget product and everything comes in massive bundles on the bones kickstarters, and the market for the individual bones figures is people wanting something cheap for their DnD game, not people for whom it's worth tracking the model down online for cheaper.

Mantic not so much. So retailers aren't really enthusiastic about stocking or supporting rheir stuff.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

I dont think theres a post mortem or anything but the short version seems to be that Mark 3 was let out of the oven half baked. A lot of poorly written rules and bad faction balance, including one faction that was in such a bad place it had to be rewritten from the ground up.

I was really stunned how well gw handled the rollout for 8e after going through warmachines launch. The leading theory is that the edition change was going to leak so it got rushed out.

There was a pretty big gap where nobody bought anything because new edition. At my store nobody really played either. And it never recovered from there.

I think they also were kinda at the peak of their player base. It's a competitive game and casual gamers weren't going to hop on board. They also didn't have the massive reserve of players gw had that still loved the universe but didn't play 40k because it was poo poo and gw poo poo on their customers. That kinda meant GW could easily absorb people quitting with people like me willing to give them another shot after a long hiatus. PP didn't have the same luxury.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

richyp posted:

Are all the decent looking Eldar units (aspect warriors, rangers etc..) finecast now or are they some other resin that isn't total poo poo? The store just says "finely detailed resin cast" which makes me think they're just shoving words between fine and cast.

If so I'll have to hit up ebay for the older metal ones I guess.

It is resin made by gw to cast metal models not designed for it. Therefore despite any rebranding it is still finecast and poo poo.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I think you print a resist over the areas you want not etched and then laser cut or something the areas you want gone completely after etching. I doubt forgeworld does those in house since whatever cutting is involved likely requires a pricey machine.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
At least they have some contrast and don't have a symbol on the 1 or 6. gently caress anything other than high contrast dice with no symbols.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I have a box of 36 yellow dice with black pips. Easy to read, and I STILL have all 36.

Of course, I have an unhealthy fascination with yellow.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

goose willis posted:

Can you put glue and basing material over a varnished base?

Yeah. You'll want to varnish over it again, though. Either with varnish or extra glue.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
If you're winning, commiserate with their bad luck, even if it's not all that bad (skip this if they're making a concerted effort to get better.) And for gently caress's sake, be a good sport when you have a few poo poo rolls. Nothing's worse than getting crushed while the other rear end in a top hat is bitching about their dice.

If victory is pretty certain and the game doesn't matter, don't play cutthroat. There's plenty you can do without being patronizing and going easy on someone. Let people do takebacks and fix their mistakes. Not after dice are rolled, but if someone's losing in a friendly game, I'd totally let them go back and do a forgotten psychic phase even if it would have altered things. Warn them about gotchas and dumb poo poo they might be doing (though coaching can get annoying and you have to play it by ear. I think you're generally safe with "Are you sure you want to do that? that makes unit X vulnerable to my poo poo Y" though)

If they still have units and don't want to get tabled to end their misery, go for objectives. Killing poo poo is fun, even if you're losing 17-2 on score.

Depending on players, going for cool stuff like warlord fights, cinematic moves and duels, and longshots is also good, but can risk setting off some people who don't want you to go easy on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

The Bee posted:

Yeah, that's true. It's definitely possible to win without rubbing your dominance in peoples' faces. I have friends who play Commander in Magic, and they love having the top two players team up and shoving the weaker ones out of the game before they even get a chance to play. It's super unfun to deal with, and turns losing from "oh well, better luck next time" to "why bother showing" when stunts like that get pulled. The objective strategy is a great way of getting around that feeling because it still lets your friend play, and on a good roll they might even snatch your objective and turn some of the tide. You're still playing to win, too, even if not playing to crush, so it isn't like you're giving them a pity win.

Similarly, maybe try other narrative play objectives. There are a lot of cool ways to play 40k now, and a deviation from the norm might give them a chance to focus on aspects they prefer.

Yeah, in my experience nobody likes being played super easy on (and trying to do that can easily make them feel shittier), but you can usually make choices that move you towards winning without trying to completely take your opponent out of the game and remove their ability to do anything. Obliterating someone might be optimal sometimes, but if there's good ways to play for a win without making it impossible for them to do anything fun.

Also: For gods sake, speed up your turns when winning. I play guard and I'm working on speeding my play up, but if I'm winning, I will totally 'forget' the little poo poo like firing laspistols from my characters or lasguns from my heavy weapon squads. (which is totally credible because I forget those plenty anyways) And I'll give up on fiddly, time consuming poo poo like trying to get squads properly into cover or space everything well unless it really matters.

I also make sure I'm much stricter on myself about take backs. If I forget a psychic phase or order, it's gone and I won't even bring it up unless it was super important.