Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

mango sentinel posted:

I've heard some edge case stories of assholes that make it seem like a good idea to clarify that rule, as laughable as it may be.

It was jackasses claiming they could just call their tag "wu tang clan" and take everything affecting everything so it's nice to see the official word being "go gently caress yourself".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The internet being down and a heatwave lead to me getting both more painting than i'd expected done and less than I'd like, but I'm rather pleased with how this one turned out.

Was listening to Know No Fear while working on this and I lost it when they fistbumped.

Just need to tidy up the badge, hopefully by the time I've freehanded the ultramarines insignia twenty times I'll have figured out a consistent method.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

!!!!!!!

Who's your ISP? I'm an engineer with most likely another provider and I'm trying to figure out what upstream is busted.

Sky, went down thursday evening and came back around half seven today.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

This guy looks great! Have you tried using transfers for the Ultramarines insignia? I've found it to be a lot less headache-inducing than freehanding everything.

I probably should, I still have a deep and abiding hatred of transfers from when I was 12.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

The Reivers sound like they are extremely my poo poo. I'm really holding out hope for an actual assault unit with Gravis Armor and Jump pack though.

Those apparently accurate leaks about primaris releases mentioned the inceptor box also making the close combat variant so wish granted I guess.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SteelMentor posted:

GW Store birthday exclusive. Actually doesn't look half bad.

The gently caress, thats rad I need one.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
There does seem to be a whole lot of games ending on turn 3 in 8th.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
That's the first squad largely done, I'm humming and hawing over whether I'm gonna do squad identifiers and such on them so haven't varnished and fully committed yet but I'm pretty happy with them. Decided to use the nominal sergeant as a normal dude for a bit more visual variety in the squad and while i really wasn't sold on inceptors when they were announced I'm a lot more partial to them without the armour colour on their respirators so they dont look like they have big dumb mouths.

Next order of business is batch painting an intercessor squad which will hopefully take me less time than these greebly motherfuckers.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

I just packed up my painting stuff last night in preparation for the move next week, I'm in the same boat. I should start my Stormraven but I'm really itching to work on some Primaris bros once I'm all unpacked.

Primaris seem like they'd be right at home in a templars force given that one of their main things is being better at punching faces.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

jadebullet posted:

So did anyone else notice that Slaanesh got shafted in the rulebook? Every other God got a 2 page spread showing the respective army, but Slaanesh just got a small picture of a few Noise Marines to represent the Emperors Children.

Also, there is a badass picture that has a panel for each god, with Abbadon in the center. Each gods panel shows the army being badass, except Slaanesh, which is just a picture of a renegade Knight.

Its not for nothing that they introduced the thing thats sole purpose is killing slaanesh into events with gathering storm.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

Every other faction has gotten new models and rules in the last year and a half, so that's probably why.

This guy gets it

Its dumb that they dropped intercessors from 120pts to 100pts but kept them at 6 power. :colbert:

Similarly inceptors got increased from 159 to 180 pts but they're still 8 power.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Der Waffle Mous posted:

There's a couple cases where the PL seems inflated as hell.

Made a Grey Knights list that barely broke 1900pts but was 203pl.

Trying to figure out where the defect was coming from short of giving every model a daemonhammer.

Everything with a demon hammer killed a knight in a single squad activation so its a solid plan.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zuul the Cat posted:

Is this referring to the difference in points from the Index book to the small books included with Dark Imperium?

I was taking the index having priority over dark imperium.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

Look if you're worried about getting the most out of units when you do a PL game, then they're not for you. And that is totally fine

But if you built your army 3 editions ago and don't want to break off anyone's arms to kit your unit out to proper 8th edition build specs so you can have the most efficient army, then hey maybe consider PLs

Its more that I don't have a choice since my LGS just uses power and I'm mildly miffed that its quite so inconsistent with the primaris units.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
There's really no shortage of people coming back after 10 year breaks right now.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Oh... Reivers are pretty much what I was expecting but I'm not sure I dig the whole stripped down look.

Ehh, it'll probably grow on me. Given that they're releasing all this with no mention of the codex I guess theyre going with the whole rules come with the model method in the mean time?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
In the rulebook at the bottom of page 103 are those plague marines an existing kit? They turn up a few times in the book.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SteelMentor posted:

If they're the dirty white coloured ones they're one of the studio designers' armies and a mix of Forge World upgrades, Possessed and CSM bits.

There is a new multi-part kit on the way allegedly tho.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

:sun: It's all tallboys by the pool on this special summer Badcast! :sun:
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/06/26/40k-badcast-12-summertime-and-the-hammins-easy/

I could have done with this before I spent 3 solid hours batch painting just macragge blue, but huzzah none the less.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Sex Cannon posted:

In the future, let me know when you're painting and I'll make sure to fit the podcast to your busy schedule! :v
You said the 25th in the episode, you let me down Boyd. :colbert:

Kept me busy while I painted all the leadbelcher back in today though, just the gold eyes and seals to go then its on to highlighting.

I hate being quite so meticulous about it right now but its going to look loving sick once they're all varnished and mine forever.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

What even makes templars different?

Crusader squads instead of tac squads, and a bunch of characters and the no psyker rule?
They have the emperor's champion, now and forever the best marine special character.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Played my first game of 40k in about 12 years then.

Was a bit of a silly game given that it was a ~75 power 2v2 of a sensible army and a gimmick super unit army either side, my dark imperium primaris backed up by vanilla Terminators and a Contemptor and a bunch of Necron odds and ends vs 2x5 Grey Knight terminators, a Stormraven, Draigo, Apothecary and a Dreadknight backed up by 2 Knights and a Shadowsword.

Highlights include my ally's night scythe downing the stormraven first turn of first round meaning a third of his army had to footslog towards me, my captain completely wiffing his power fist after using the counter charge stratagem to attack draigo and getting unceremoniously murdered, my Contemptor opening up on draigo now that he was out of combat and closest then squashing him flat in close combat, and me actually losing the last couple of people in either of my intercessor squads to morale surprisingly enough.

By the end of turn 4 we'd been tabled but my opponent was down to 1 Grey Knight and an Apothecary and his teammate had a Knight and half a Shadowsword but it was a fun and surprisingly close match none the less. Units wise lieutenants are really loving nice, the ancient feels like a bit of a waste of space, and as has been mentioned the space marine battle pile is very much a valid tactic. Being able to pelt people from 2 and a half feet away with half my army is really drat satisfying too its just a shame it was against an army of 2+ 5++ 2w.

Got another game on saturday and I think I'll swap the ancient for my chaplain since functionally they have the same ld buff, but the ancients last chance aura did loving nothing for me all game.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SteelMentor posted:

New Primaris dudes still cool, weird how the captain gets a bunch of shooty options yet only a single melee option (Sword or eat poo poo), that's new for HQ characters.

Another weird thing is that the Matched Play rules on their store pages say that both can be taken by the Deathwatch, but the Indexes say Deathwatch can't take any Primaris. I'm pleasantly surprised if they've changed their mind, but it certainly is odd.

There was rumbling of the lieutenant kit being the one with the actual options in it, like the old commander kit.

This one just seems analogous to the current captain with the combi grav and sword.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
:thurman:

Transfers ain't poo poo.

Started to get the knack for freehanding the ultima.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

So wait. It's 8 bucks cheaper, comes with far more options, and is far less gaudy / in-your-face with Ultramarine-style greco-Roman design? Why the heck would I ever buy the other one, again?

The plume on the helmet is a separate bit, not molded on.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

Painted the Primaris Lieutenants. I used the power sword guy in my game the other day and he was excellent so he's getting worked into more lists.

Jeez my highlighting is thick.

Nothing stopping you from thinning them out with the base colour no? I have to do that most of the time.

Sweet fists none the less.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

quote:

WARHAMMER 40,000 – INDEX: IMPERIUM 2
Page 122
– Acolytes
Change the Wounds characteristic to read ‘1’.
drat, guess that was weirdly high.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

Oh, that's a bummer. I was looking forward to seeing some crazy Inquisition lists

Still going to build a squad of them because they're a cool thing to have but sad they wont be quite as effective meatshields.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Genghis Cohen posted:

The thing is, Inquisitorial Acolytes have got to be close to the worst unit in the game in this case. You're getting Imperial Guardsmen with an inbuilt re-rolling ability, great, but for more than double the cost, with weapons (which they do have great access to) also far more expensive. For a small, tailor-made squad, they sure do have absolutely nothing special about them. You'd think Inquisitors would find the really good imperial henchmen to give them a hand, not the bog-standard rank & file!

Annoyingly the transport rules are really the biggest bar to stuff like that, I wanted to have a datasmith as part of the crew because its a loving rad model but theres literally no transport I could put one in. Probably just going to counts-as it as an engineseer.

Originally I was going to model a few acolytes with the custodes sentinel blades and storm shields and run them as having storm bolters and power weapons but since they're 1w I'll probably just run them as storm bolters and chainswords as 10ppm for ablative wounds for the inquisitor seems alright.

Thinking on it, given that you can fit acolytes and the inqusitor in any transport with space it'd probably be a better move to just run 2-3 acolytes along with a platoon commander and a command squad modelled as the rest of the retinue since they get similar access to special weapons but with better aim and then rerolls on anything from orders.

The imperium keyword remains a godsend for making weird inquisitor armies.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What did they change?

Nothing it was a misprint, the rules for the leman russ demolisher itself already say for squads of 5 or more but in the back of the book it says 10 or more.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zuul the Cat posted:

How reliable are the rumors posted on Faeit212?

They posted something today about some new Primaris stuff that's been seen:

I really hope they don't string out the Primaris releases over the course of 2 or 3 months. That's kinda irritating.

Primaris apothecary is in the transfer sheets, aggressors are in the book and bolter reivers are in artwork already so seems likely that the other stuffs correct.

Really hope aggressors look good.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

The bigass ones with shoulder missiles were mentioned in a book, just like Reivers. Apparently they also get prometheum gauntlets, and are called Aggressors.

Will they look amazing or ridiculous? Place your bets!

Placing a bet on knee-jerk disdain that I will gradually come to love like every other primaris unit.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Buying index 2 for inquisition and talons alone pays off. :pcgaming:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Pretty happy with these so far

Played my second game on wednesday, got shitcanned because opponent brought 2 knights a shadowsword and a spartan and every time I fired a plasma weapon it killed the user on the first attempt even after a reroll and between that and the enemy getting the first turn and murdering my rearguard tac marines with the melta i had no actual anti tank guns left. Boardstate at turn 3(?):

After his poor showing last week my gravis captain redeemed himself by punching one of the knights to death after my contemptor softened it up, rolled like absolute rear end all game which was mitigated by the captain chaplain and lieutenants reroll auras. Will be looking to get a primaris librarian on the weekend for null zone so next time he feels like sending 10 deathwing knights at me i can just murder them with ease.

Cutedge posted:

Is anyone else running the Primarus Lieutenants? I have been using one and a Captain in Gravis Armor and I feel like they are pretty good, but I am a bad judge of things so I don't know :shrug:
Sword lieutenants are classical marine captains in close combat which people are still apparently getting their heads around, and the reroll auras are gold dust.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Genghis Cohen posted:

Wait, what size game were you playing? Thats quite a few lords of war, was that his whole army? Kind of a dick move if so. And if you had primaries marines and he had that, what are those necron vehicles doing?

2v2 75 power per player, he had spartan 10 deathwing ezekiel and a knight and his teammates only just gotten back in and doesnt have an army so he was lent the shadowsword knight nephilim a 10 man crusader squad and emperors champion, necron was my team mate but the ark and barge on the right are dead, one on the left is still in play.

And yeah its a bit of a dick move given that its 2 weeks running now fighting 3+ lords of war, we're gonna have a word with him and failing that i'd bring 6x4 lascannon dev teams around a captain and lieutenant and table him on turn 2 every time until he stops.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TKIY posted:

Knights aren't so bad but overall Lords of War seem too powerful for the points at this point.

Some, like Magnus, are loving ridiculous.

Yeah Knights are manageable, high damage melee dismantles them.

8 lascannons on a t8 20w 2+ save that can't be locked in melee is colossal bullshit.

Shadowswords are marginally less bullshit due to guard aim.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
After listening to know no fear and there bring the rad as poo poo ultramarines legion shadowswords I'm having to try really hard to not buy one of the two baneblade kits at my lgs and paint one up in ultramar colours and livery.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

That's a surprisingly good amount of armies that morale applies to. Seems like Reivers are going to especially be making the Tau miserable. Weak, fragile gunlines? Low morale? Deny them their precious Overwatch? Yeah, Reivers are going to be jamming them into lockers and laughing. A proper sniper unit to make characters go away will also help Tyranids and Guardsmen crumple. Orks, I'm unsure. Reivers seem too small unit-wise to make the green tide crumble, especially if their effect doesn't stack.

If it does stack, small MSU pockets of Reivers are going to be hellish.

10 men with 3 attacks and 2 wounds each seems like enough to make a sizeable dent?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

Lets do some Mathhammer and find out! Max size Reiver squad vs. max size squad of Boyz.

We start things off with a barrage of heavy bolt pistols. Heavy Bolt Pistols seem to be Bolt Pistols with a -1 armor save tacked on, judging by the site description. 9 Primaris will fire 9 of the things at a BS 3+, while the last will throw a shock grenade to disable overwatch and make the Orks return fire in melee less of a problem. Going back to our pistols, this means approximately 2/3rds of the shots will make their mark, for 6 hits. I'll err on the side of caution and assume S4, like a normal bolt pistol. At T4, this means we're hitting these Boyz at a 4+. Another 50% of the shots go through, for a net of 3 making wounds. Their 6+ save is counteracted by a -1 from the Heavy Bolt pistol, so all of the shots that go through make their mark. We get 3 boyz fallen just from the opening volley, taking them down from 30 to 27.

Next comes the melee. Fortunately, the strength of a Primaris is exactly the same as that of a bolt pistol, and their BS and WS are equal, so we don't have to recalculate anything! However, we do have to scale up. 10 marines swing 3 times each, with the sergeant getting a 4th as well. That's a whopping 31 attacks heading for the boyz. 31 * (2/3) = 20.6666667 attacks landing. Multiply by (1/2) = 10.3333334 making wounds. Now the Boyz get to save, however, shrugging off 1/6th of the wounds. Multiply for 5/6, get 8.61111117 wounds sticking. That's a total of 11 to 12 Boyz going down, bringing them all the way to 18 left. Fun fact, that's just enough to get them out of Green Tide range!

Of course, now comes the counterattack. Lets be charitable and assume we charged into a giant pile of Shoota Boyz, because it'd be kinda silly to commit your infantry linebreakers to diving into an assault manpile. The remaining 17 boyz get 2 attacks each, each hitting on a 3+ and wounding on a 4+ just like the Reivers' attacks did. However, presuming the Shock Grenade hits, they'll only hit on a 4+ instead. 34 * (1/2) * (1/2) = 8.5 wounds made. However, Primaris save on a 3+ rather than the 6+ Boyz save on, so they'll weather 2/3rds of those attacks without a problem. 2.83333 wounds stick. Then the Boss Nob comes in. Not only does he swing for 3 attacks, but he also has more strength than our Reiver has toughness. This means he has a 2/3rds chance of wounding instead. 3 * (1/2) * (2/3) * (1/3) = about .333 wounds made. Put this together with the 2.833, and only one Reiver ends up going down for the count. In his place, 12 Orkz have fallen. Not too bad, I'd say.

Now for the important question: will this break their morale? 12 Orkz have been slain, and per Mob Rule they now have a leadership on 18. 12+1d6 cannot exceed 18, so no Orkz end up breaking. However, due to the Terror Troops rule, the Orkz subtract 1 from their leadership roll. The chances still aren't great, but 1/6th of the time an Ork will break ranks and run, despite currently outnumbering the Reivers two to one.

They aren't raising hell on the Orkz' morale. But I'd say that's a drat good turn, all things considered.

If you can get literally any fire on the squad before that combat you stand decent odds of murdering the rest of them through morale too, 3 kills and they're losing d6 guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is why Battlewagons are so much fun.

How have the 20 boyz in a wagon been working out by the way?