Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TKIY posted:

It's not that broken when you can only reroll once per phase.

Besides I expect that tournaments will use the guidelines mentioned in the book are allow a maximum number of detachments based on points.

I know I'll be pushing this hard at my gaming store. Makes the game more fun when you can't just spam 20 elite detachments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'd advise against goons actually making purchases over what now will be adjusted more often (especially with the return of Chapter Approved)

I'll pick up the main rule book, for everything else there are Russian pdfs.

I'll pick up the codex when they come out, which should hopefully fix some of the obvious stuff (like crushing claws on carnifex and as mentioned the Nurgle leader being weaker than Typhus for basically the same points).

LordAba fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 17, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Well, it's implied, anyway. He tells Guilliman he wants to use traitor legion geneseed, Guilliman tells him no, and it's implied Cawl basically thinks "Yeah well I'm gunna do it anyway"

I can't wait for the next story where Cawl meets Fabulous Bile and Cawl just dunks on his "enhanced marines".

EDIT: Or the first tyranid to eat a bigmarine and create a tyrant prime prime.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Mind you this is remembering poo poo from 5th edition...

A Battlewagon used to move 12", deploy 2" (effectively 3"), and then assault 6". 21" assault range. Add d6" with a WAAAGH!

Now Orks deploy within 3" of a Battlewagon, move 5", and then assault 2d6". 10" to 20" assault range, average of 15". Add d6" with a Warboss nearby.

So at least for Orks it's definitely reduced.

Keep in mind this is tempered by the fact that transports are tougher and don't kill as many guys when they do explode. Though each model is "slain" so high armor multiwound models (aka meganobs) are a bit more vulnerable in decent numbers.

On a tyranid note, gently caress you all of my devourers on my monsters are deathspitters now.

EDIT: Anyone know of any good models for Crusaders (aka power weapon + storm shield)? The fact that they have acts of faith should make them tough little buggers in combat.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 19, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So... Sisters aren't fairing that well, I don't think. I still have to put them on the table, but my old build (10 sisters, combi-melta, melta, heavy flamer rhino) isn't noticeable cheaper at 220 points and don't do nearly as well. As a generalist unit it worked well, but in the new edition the single heavy flamer wouldn't do as much for the unit against hordes. Might have to replace the heavy flamer with a multi-melta, and run some dominions/retributors with flamers. I've always had them mechanized, but lack of fire points might take a bit to get used to.
Again, faith doesn't scale very well. It's powerful, but I'll have to see. Exorcist is still super random for basically a long range meltagun with less damage. Repentia are still very squishy for their price and have an absolute need to be babysat by a character to boost them.

They lack the zing of some of the other armies.

Though I like the new priests with crusaders. Penitent engines are usable now. Hobopriest with a shotgun is still awesome.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xarlaxas posted:

So, I'm still waiting on my full fulebook, but I have the "digest" PDF that they released and I have my ePub index for Chaos and T'au and wanted to confirm something: can units not shoot out of vehicles at all?

I remember previous editions having "Fire Points" or whatever, allowing X number of models to shoot out of them, but I'm not seeing anything mentioning them in 8th edition.

I won't be too sad if shooting out of vehicles is not allowed: I never remembered to do it in 6th edition at all so it won't make any difference to my Rhino-carted Noise Marines in 8th. :v:

Unless the transport specifies, no you can't shoot out. Makes my Sisters of Battle sad (minus the repressor which should kick rear end).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The worse thing about power level... the very VERY worse thing about power level... is that they made normal points so goddamn awful to figure out to push it.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone seen multibased tyranids? By that I don't mean a movement tray style, but I mean something like multiple termagants/hormagaunts on a single base?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DiHK posted:

Where's my buddy dreadnought movie?

The deathcompany dread is 3 days from retirement.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nurgle lord? Can kill 9 termagaunts a turn. Tervigon? Can bring back 10 a turn.

Get hosed.

That was my first game of 8th edition.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PantsOptional posted:

• Dark Angels Librarians are basically a no man's land of mortal wounds - Smite on top of Mind Worm was pretty loving gross. Park one of those on an objective with an Intercessor squad screening for him and you'll have a real tough time digging him out.

I can't wait to try a unit of 4 zoanthropes in a pod because of this. An average of 4 mortal wounds is pretty good, and the new psyker rules remove a lot of failure conditions that zoanthropes previously had.

EDIT: Plus a 3+ invul and being able to smite into combat/escape combat and smite makes them a lot harder to take out.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 2, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Felime posted:

Falling back: not just for shooty armies

What was he gonna do? Fall back so I can shoot him and assault him again?
To be fair, that was the only model left on that side of the board, and I basically had 2 chunky units of termagaunts. 1000 point list was:

1 Tervigon
1 Prime w/ swords
25 gaunts w/ 15 devourers
29 gaunts
5 warriors w/ deathspitters, 1 VC
1 Exocrine

This is a tough 1000 point list.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TKIY posted:

League night drama! Shadowsword one-shots a Knight. Knight owner complains, 'Lords of War should be banned!' The irony is lost on him.

New edition, same complaints.

After those stupid Mech walkers one shot my Tervigon I think the next time I play I'm not even going to run any monsters. Just 180 *gants and some primes. Maybe a venomthrope if I'm feeling saucy.

EDIT: And I'm modifying all of the store terrain to block line of sight. gently caress the terrain rules.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

berzerkmonkey posted:

"Hey - remember the $25 you just dropped for that Index?"

I'm disappointed by this - I was hoping not to devolve back into the 100 Codex problem 40K had in 7th. At least AoS provides the Warscrolls online for free, so you can keep up with other armies. 40K continues to make this process a complete pain in the rear end.

Yeah, but the warscrolls don't have points in them so they are basically useless IIRC.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HardCoil posted:

Also, how do you count rapid fire range? Is it the same as shooting, as in - if one guy is with in half range of one guy from the target unit, everybody gets to rapid fire?

:corsair:

You look at line of sight and range per model in the shooting unit.
When allocating wounds on the shot unit, your opponent allocates to all of the unit.
That means if all models in your unit can draw line of site to one model in an enemy unit, with 5 models within half range and 5 models outside half range, you can double the shots on 5 models and potentially take out a full unit.

Note that you have to be either within/touching, or within X inches of terrain to get cover saves. Opponent allocated a wound to a model 3.1" away from a statue? No cover. Opponent allocated a wound to a model 2.9" away from a statue? Cover save.

Terrain is kind of hosed this edition.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 5, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ You are correct, cover is determined on a unit level, not an individual level. Proving that terrain rules this edition are kind of hosed.
Wait, if you can't draw line of sight to models that WOULD grant the unit cover from terrain piece A because of terrain piece B does that mean the unit doesn't get cover?

General Olloth posted:

Well what I was saying wasn't that simple, I think that is part of the point. They tried to make it very simple.

The extra layer I would add to that point, considering all the hills I've seen around FLGS are only taller than like 6 models in the entire game especially with scale creep, is that the hills rules are also bad.

No to hills, yes to plateaus.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 5, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

The rules for forests also changed to reflect the "get cover if 50% obscured by it" instead of needing to physically be inside it. I think they realized the books explanation was insane.

Which is silly. I'm .01" away, don't get it. I'm .01" in, I get it. It's loving infinity all over again, where if you are .01" away from a wall every other model shooting at you is a loving sniper despite shooting from a mile away through a slot between buildings that a body positive fly couldn't squeeze between.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fetterkey posted:

Index Sisters continue their proud tradition of doing the "mech Marine" thing better than actual Marines do, and St. Celestine continues her personal tradition of being absolutely crazily OP. However, the models are very expensive, making it hard to actually make an army, and people's weird blind spots mean the Sisters probably won't be seen that commonly, even though they're in fact very strong.

Sisters get you crusaders, and crusaders are 15 point storm shields with power swords that can either a) reroll their to hit when charging/getting charged or b) have the potential to get 2 rounds of CC on your turn. You can also bring back models and a priest can hide out in them with a plasma gun or a cc weapon and give them 2 attacks base. They are pretty decent for the price.

EDIT: Also, salty about the scything talons versus chain swords FAQs rulings.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

They should expect what they were told to expect. There are people screaming about codex releases. Did they think there just wouldn't be chapter/legion/craftworld/whatever rules and fluff or what?

If GW was smart they would have just released them online for free. If they are a stop gap before codices get released that would be the easiest way and build some goodwill / get people who haven't played in a while back on the bandwagon.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think the idea is to jump up, blow away a bunch of tactical marines or gaunts or whatever, then charge into some biovores or devastators. The enemy can either stick around or run, but they're not shooting, and you can fall back once it's your turn again and still shoot.

Biovores. Are people actually taking them?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Biovores are one of the better sources of Mortal Wounds, it appears. Stack a full squad in a Tyrannocyte and watch them go to town. Boom: no more Wulfen/Terminators/Meganobz/[insert heavy infantry].

Unrelated: My wife is looking to pare down to just 2 armies, so has decided to let her Dark Angels go. Anyone looking to start? She has like 2 Land Raiders, 1-2 Drop Pods, a Vindicator, and mostly Terminators and Ravenwing bikers. When I get the time to catalogue and photo everything I will.

What? They aren't great. Can't fire on overwatch, still have fail on a roll of one, and a bit expensive. The best thing is to keep them moving so they have a greater chance of missing so you can lay down spore mines to try to trip units up. Even then I would spend the 5-10 more points to take a Sporocycst.
Unless you mean zoanthropes? Yeah, they are fairly nasty mortal wound dealers, and with the horror are really nice in a tyrannocyte.

EDIT: Okay, obviously you use biovores to move and shoot at units hoping to miss your 5+ shot so that you can hopscotch spore mines into the back field to threaten low-to-mid wound buff style characters. Again, there are probably better ways to spend your points.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 6, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TKIY posted:

I'm trying to figure out how Biovores aren't great. Hide them with a pack of Hive Guard inside LoS blocking cover, babysit them with a Malanthrope or warrior unit and go to town. 36 points for a 48" gun hitting on 4s that needs no LoS and can cause d6 Mortal Wounds? If they miss you get free spore mines?

They are in pretty much every list I have going forward.

You... you haven't read the rules have you? Unless the actual released version is vastly different from the leaked version (which is all I can get because the Xeno 2 index is hella rare in stores).

Again, the only reason you take them is to move and shoot at units with characters nearby, hoping you miss so you can threaten them with spores if they don't deal with them.

EDIT:

??

LordAba fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 6, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TKIY posted:

I messed up the damage, its 1 or d3 not a d6. Still:

Hit on a 4+. No LoS was FAQd in. If you miss, free mine within 6". If you hit, roll a d6. 1 is no effect. 2-5 is 1 mortal wounds. 6 is d3 mortal wounds. 36 points.

Remember the weapon is heavy, you can't overwatch with it, and you can only shoot at the closest model if you are outside of the shorter ranged synapse. For a grand total of.... 1 wound! Or in a squad of 3, 108 points for 3 wounds!
Meanwhile zoanthropes are synapse, have a 3++ save, don't give a poo poo about advancing/moving out of combat, have fly, and in a squad of 4 average 4 mortal wounds with the ability to slap Horror on something, and are 120 points. Though putting them in a pod to control what gets hit is almost mandatory.
Biovores are for sniping out characters. Sure, a unit of 3 could kill a terminator every other turn, but... eh? Missing a squad and putting mines next to buffing character is the best use.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zark the Damned posted:

However, there is this one weird trick that WAACers Hate:

In situations like this, don't use fast rolling (iirc technically it's an optional rule), and revert back to the 'one model, one weapon at a time' default rules. The green player can take a casualty on the exposed dude and then the rest of the unit is safe from further shooting (multi hit weapons could still spread but I guess that's 'thematic' for a blast or something).

N-nooo. Look at the shooting rules:
1) Pick one of your units
2) Pick enemy units
3) Pick weapons
4) Resolve attacks
a) Roll to hit
b) Roll to wound
c) Allocate
d) Damage

During resolve attacks you never check if you have range or line of sight to the enemy. That is all done in step 2.

EDIT: You can roll each attack separately, with an attack being a single die, if you want to be a slow playing rear end in a top hat. Fun when rolling heavy bolters!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 7, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So mass roll to hit, mass roll to wound, kill the guys in the open, the rest get cover saves?

Not really? Remember, the opponent allocates, but the person doing the attack chooses the order the guns shoot at the unit. Which may or may not matter when mixing things like "ignore cover" weapons and weapons with different AP values.

Person shooting: mass roll to hit, mass roll to wound, congo-line the wounds based on the AP order they want it resolved
Person being shot: Allocate and make saves based on the AP/Damage of the above weapons.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strobe posted:

I think it'll probably be a Triple mount of some moderately useful Heavy weapon, like Heavy Stubbers.

Almost look like triple meltas.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Genghis Cohen posted:

I was aware of the rule, but against most of his opponents there is a big level of overkill there. 9 stealers will mince any of my imperial guard units for example. You're probably right that units of 15 is about optimum.

At the same time going against anything that is marine or better without critical mass is asking to bounce your rending rolls. 15 is a good number, and adrenal glands are almost a necessity to try to avoid massed 8" flamers.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know how the raven guard get rerolls for jump pack troops and -1 to hit? Well, the orks were just leaked, and ork units get a +1ld bonus when in max sized units.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chutche2 posted:

Good work. Yeah the tyranid players here agree the mawloc is loving worthless, and that the more you dilute a tyranid list by adding bigstuff and warriors instead of more termagants and genestealers the weaker the list tends to be. Exocrines and tervigons are fine too, but the further you get away from a core of termagants and genestealers the worse most tyranid players seem to be doing. Every game I hear something like "That trygon would've been a lot better off replaced by more genestealers"

Yeah, Mawlocs, Biovores, and even Maleceptors aren't great (though biovores seem more usable), at least compared to dropping zoanthropes for your mortal wound needs. Carnifex are odd because they are less than 10 wounds, which is great. You would think more wounds are better, but given how damage drop off works they are actually effective til their last wound. Next army I take will be hordes of termies/hormies/genestealers with broodlords in the middle with a couple carnifex. Maybe something in a pod or a trygon for a distraction.

You would think the monsters would be tougher and on the whole they are against small arms, but anti-tank weapons can really take them out. With all the reroll bubbles armies can get and how cover is garbage it can be fairly easy to lose 9-12 wounds from a single unit of lascannons. Or that loving mechanicum walker. Add in the command point reroll and they are sitting ducks.

I'm also not looking forward to dealing with -1 to hit Raven Guard with any of the tyranid ranged options.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Master Twig posted:

I've been trying to come up with a Tyranid list that can specifically kill storm raven spam. Haven't come up with anything good yet. Most raven spam lists have 7 deployments, so I'm pretty much guaranteed to go second.

The two best things for killing Storm Ravens are Exocrines and Winged Hive Tyrants. A single Storm Raven has very good odds of killing a Hive Tyrant in one round of shooting, especially with Robby G backing it up. Every game I've played against Ravens with a Hive Tyrant, they have not survived long enough for them to get a turn. Exocrines have a good chance to survive a storm raven firing at it, but will more than likely be reduced to hitting on 6s.

Of the other units that can actually assault a storm raven, being Gargoyles, Shrikes, Crones and Harpies, none of them have even remotely the attack power to put any kind of damage on a storm raven. MAYBE shrikes with rending claws and toxin sacs.

I'm just not coming up with anything. I've asked other people for suggestions, and everyone just keeps coming back with running Imperial Guard alongside them to take scions and hyrdas. Well then I'm not using nids to beat it, am i? :mad:

Drop zoanthropes will average 4 wounds. Bonus they can fly and assault, though the damage they do versus the potential damage from overwatch doesn't seem worth it.
Drop Hive Guard with Shockcannons will do some damage, needing 4+ to hit and 4+ to mortal wound (plus possibly do an additional D3 wounds). Plus you can take them in a unit of 6 now?
Tyrannofex still get the -1, but can at least attack twice with the flamer or rupture pods.
Hive Guard still protect flying tyrants, and at least have a 7" base move.

It's just... a list built to counter 3+ Storm Ravens isn't going to fair very well against some normal lists.

Bonus: don't bother. Just take 200+ gants with hidden broodlords and venomthropes. gently caress 'em.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 22, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Milotic posted:

How is bringing a lord of war casual in any sense?

Well you see, GW was all about improving balance in the game! They even brought in outside help. So all reasonable options are balanced, including lord of wars. With the new system of everything being able to wound everything, all Power Levels are equal Power Levels.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Is pretty important. Now you have to re-roll all the die for milti-die rolls.

Luckily the command point stratagem thingie specifies that it allows you to roll a single dice. I usually save those for when I flub a charge, and usually I only want to roll one of them anyways.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bonds0097 posted:

One change I would have liked is having characters be targetable as long as they're the closest NON-FLYER unit. So you can't try to be clever and bubble wrap your lone character in your flyer spam list. I mean, even if there are enemy jets screaming by overhead, I can still pick out the lone enemy idiot on the battlefield at ground level.

Or hell, change it to "characters have to be the nearest legal non-flier model". Though that's because I'm not a fan of an enemy unit in CC preventing me from shooting a character.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endman posted:

How can you build a story without the cooperation of your opponent though? It's no fun talking about your characters with a brick wall who cares only for numbers.

So fluff players are like those on the Left who keep pushing the narrative harder and harder until everything falls apart, and even people who are in the middle and want a solid ruleset that is balanced around unit selection are pushed into the fringe? <political cartoon>

EDIT: Does that make tournament players literal Nazis?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

evilmiera posted:

What is much funnier is that he is now 100 years older but is still around and people haven't noticed despite Tau officially not having life-extending tech beyond good medicine. Same for all the other named Tau. Some ethereals live for longer times but they were already pushing their twilight years in the last edition.

The fact that Tau tech hasn't changed much in a century is also kind of baffling. That's kind of their entire thing. I mean yes, we are all waiting for a codex, but considering how they are set up you would expect tons of changes and additions when that arrives.

What are you talking about, the Tau are on like iPhone 237. I heard they even fixed it so you don't die in your 30s from constant low yield radiation anymore.
Need kroot who ate the new marines. Big kroot.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chutche2 posted:

How are people liking the codex?

I was disappointed at first about vehicles not getting tactics, but after seeing the point drops and their awesome stratagems I'm 100% on board.

Vehicles getting tactics means you would never not see Ravan Guard on the table. -2 to hit fliers? gently caress that.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are hunters any good? 90 points for a rerollable lascannon seems like a lot of points, and cheap at the same time.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Artum posted:

Yeah its nuts, they're 53ppm in dark imperium 75 in the index and then back down to 60 in the codex proper.

86 points with the plasma.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

The best thing is when you have six kastellans in cover and they tank literally everything the enemy army throws at it, Then switch to shooting protocols and throw 108 str 8 -2ap shots down range from SIX models. Rerolling all failed hits of course because you took cawl and your a G.

God I hope Mechanicum gets it once the codex comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Bee posted:

Do you think going with the squad-splitting for Primaris units is worth it? It seems like it'll heavily benefit deep strike or infiltrate heavy armies due to letting you basically sideline two units for the price of one, but losing the leadership bonus and attacks of a sergeant is annoying and it forces you to commit to the same wargear for both units.

As long as it isn't a kill point mission, why not? Plus you can take two auxiliary grenade launchers per squad, and it is the only way you are going to shoot both of them.