Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Posting the mans I just "finished" today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I love how they ruined the shield drone again, they made the saviour protocol convert the wound to a mortal wound.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Surprise T Rex posted:

I've seen a lot online about how Tau suck now, but they seem okay to me.

The problem is not particularly that Tau suck, it's just that our good options are like 6-7 units total and you happen to have brought all of them :v:. Commanders, FW, Stealth suits, kroot hounds, brachers in devilfish, drones, longstrike supported hammerheads, and vespid are all good, everything else is kinda pointless since either commanders do them better or just out right are terrible (see skyray). Really people should not be saying that Tau are terrible more that their internal balance is horrific.

R0ckfish fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 13, 2017

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
The big issue the Tau have right now is their internal balance sucks major rear end, you won't see anyone running crisis suits anymore because commanders are objectively better. Just using aforementioned plasma rifles a squad crisis suits will land ~9 shots in rapid fire range for 225 points whereas a commander for 120 will land ~6.6 shots, so no one will take crisis suits except with flamers where their BS does not matter. Some of the problem is that commanders are too cheap along with gun drones, but I still sort of wish they would at least be in a similar PPW range.

Tau Anti armor is also kinda goofy, they have fusion blasters which are amazing but when you look outside of this it kinda gets funny in that our long range AT is terrible. we have the Railgun Hammer head whose main gun seems amazing, until you notice it has one shot a turn, meaning on average a hammerhead will do just over 2 damage a turn against a land raider, which actually makes it worse than a heavy rail rifle broadside whose main gun is ~234% better than a IG lascannon for 315% of the price. :v:

There definitely seems to be the intent to balance stuff around the assumption that markerlights make up for the poor effectiveness, and they kinda do in that having the 5 markerlight bonus increases damage by around 50%, but it is lost in the price to get those markerlight hits. In order to fully mark a unit the minimum cost unit is a 80 point squad of Pathfinders, being able to alpha strike that unit with the rest of your stuff is amazing. However then you have the problem that if you want to break even with the extra cost to get that unit marked you end up firing between a quarter and half your force against that one unit; so you really only use it against a first turn major target that has better be worth firing 750+ points of models at it. Honestly most of what you are seeing in most Tau players is abandoning going for more than the first level of the ML table because just having more units to throw overwhelming amounts of shots is more reliable and less susceptible to just having your marker sources just be murdered by a passing deep striking unit.

This is already too much of an effort post, but for shits and giggles you can do a shooting comparison between a riptide and the new SM dread. The dread is T7 3+ with 13 wounds to the riptides 14 and a 5++ so riptide wins out so far, now the most interesting target for the comparison is against something T5 3+ like a crisis suit:
Math:
The dread is armed with 17 shots of S5 AP-1 and will hits with 2/3 wound with 1/2 and 1/2 will get past the save, so ~2.8 unsaved wounds. It also has in rapid fire range 4 s4 shots, 1/2 hit *1/3 wound*1/3 unsaved so ~0.2, for ~3 unsaved wounds
Riptide default gets 8 shots S6 AP-1, 1/2 hit, 2/3 wound, 1/2 unsaved so ~1.3 unsaved wounds; if we nova charge we get 12 shots S6 AP-2 so 1/2 hit, 2/3 wound, 2/3 unsaved so ~2.6, so we can expect 1.3-2.6 from the main gun. The riptide also has a SMS with 8 S5 ap0 shots 1/2 hit, 1/2 wound, 1/3 unsaved so ~0.7 from the SMS for ~2-3.3 total.

so 2.8-3 unsaved wounds by the dread and 2 to 3.3 for the riptide, the dread will win against stuff less than T5 and the riptide will be better against greater than T5.

so the riptide can have ~18% better shooting at the cost of mortal wounds, and be 1/3 tougher against lascannon and such, so the riptide should be something like 30-50% more expensive when you you also say the dread can also fight somewhat effectively. We cannot give a direct comparison without the point cost of the dread but power wise it is 10 to the riptides 17 making it 70% more expensive depending on the conversion ratio.

R0ckfish fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 17, 2017

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

SRM posted:

My buddy came up with the list on his own when reading through the Tau index and was excited to see all his Fire Warriors would be useful, the Wolves guy was just really salty.

I expect at least part of it is that when you go and look at what people are doing with Tau it is either commander spam or infantry spam, and since most people never played Tau for inf they made the assumption that they were netlisting. :v:

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Strobe posted:

Short of ripping the entire list apart to fit like a Hammerhead, is there another way to get relatively inexpensive anti-armor in a Tau list? Each of these Crisis suits is 80+ points, and that's.... a lot, for three models that only have three wounds each.

The current anti armor list for Tau can be roughly summed up as 4xFB commander >>>> other FB mounting units > HRR Broadside > Hammerhead, the hammerhead only having one shot a turn makes it unreliable the HRR is slightly better on this front since it has two shots but they still average ~2 wounds a turn to a landraider. The only weapon with appreciable anti armor is the FB and the commander is far and away better then the other options, you have to double the cost of a commander for it to be comparable to crisis suits.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Strobe posted:

Are seeker missiles worth using? Keeping in mind that I currently have 20+ markerlights in play in that list and getting to five lights was non-trivial but also not hard. Mortal wounds on an effective 3+ rerolling 1s doesn't seem terrible for five points. The biggest limitation is that I can only fit like six without going whole hog on vehicles.

They really are not good, its 5 points for ~2/3 chance for a wound once so they cost too much for too little impact. If you wanted to be boring and WAAC the current way to kill stuff as Tau is just volume of fire or commanders, most people dont bother going for more that the first markerlight since the cost is prohibitive and most of the platforms just are not survivable against players who understand their purpose.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
So I am thinking of doing a bunch of Salamanders, and man am I having troubles figuring out what to do with the last 700 points of a potential list, at the moment I was thinking I would have at least the starter marines in DI, a Las Repulser and aggressors which is ~1300 since I am not sure if I would use the ancient. After that if I do primaris only it seems hard not to have a bunch of dark angels (more intercessors, hellblasters and I dunno a some more inceptors or something), otherwise I was thinking of having a fatty team of assault centurions in a redeemer.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Cross post from the painting thread

R0ckfish posted:

I did a quickish test model for salamanders today

Primaris are nice to paint and I had fun messing with new stuff on it.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
That little dude is the best

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Shockeh posted:

Paint question for the cleverer people in here.

One technique I've never learnt, that I've always thought amazing is people who manage to get that more pastel, less vibrant colour look. A bit 'less is more'. What I don't know is how best to do that without losing tone. Random (brilliant) example:

Now obviously, the quality of painting there is top notch, but I'm curious how people feel about getting that less vibrant green but without losing tone, as adding white ends up too pale. Really a discussion piece, I expect there's a bunch of ways, so hit me.

E: Obviously if you compare that to the FW colour scheme (metallics, very vibrant) or the hideous one Studio has (Blue highlighted with green, ICK.) it's much more obvious.

I would guess airbrush or glazes with extremely thin paint so that it filters a zenithal prime into the desired colour.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Quick cross post from the painting thread

R0ckfish posted:

Finished up some incepters this weekend while my internet was out

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

!Klams posted:

Man, I REALLY like these, how do you get the green so smooth? Whats the recipe for this scheme? I want to steal it!

The green is 4x quick passes of waagh flesh airbrushed over a black base followed by 3x quick passes of zenithal warpstone glow, recesses are washed with nuln oil, highlighted moot green -> yriel only on bits which the warpstone is visible.
The black is just abaddon with the brightest points having dark reaper, surrounded by a 50/50 of aba/dark reaper, then two glazes of black first starting from the top, second from halfway down.
flames are long teardrop shapes of mephiston red, each filled with wild rider red and smaller teardrops placed between the big ones, then the same kind of thing with fire dragon bright, then a quick squiggle of yriel at the bottom of the flames, another super small one of white scar, then black dots for the coals.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Phyresis posted:

Knight Commander Pask is rolling around in the Hand of Steel, which has a punisher gatling cannon mounted onto its turret. If the Hand moves 5" or less in the Movement phase, it can fire 40 BS2+ S5 shots at 24" range, re-rolling hit rolls of 1 due to the Canadian Doctrine.

He is accompanied by a Leman Russ Executioner with two plasma cannon sponsons and a hull-mounted lascannon. It is matching speed with the Hand of Steel. Pask commands the Executioner's crew to Pound Them to Dust! They supercharge all of the tank's plasma cannons and fire, shooting 2d6 + 2d3 supercharged plasma shots, re-rolling the bad results. That's a LOT of hot plasma flying downwind. They re-roll to hit rolls of 1, meaning that they only have a 1/36 chance per shot of overheating. Even if some of those shots overheat, they will only suffer one mortal wound per failure. (Actually the executioner plasma cannon will cause D6 MWs if it overheats, which it has a high likelyhood of doing, shooting that many shots)

Pask is 205 points with this configuration, or 221 if you choose to mount a couple of heavy bolter sponsons onto the Hand of Steel. (You probably should, but it's hardly mandatory.)

The Leman Russ Executioner is 180 points, or 192 if you choose to swap the hull-mounted heavy bolter for a lascannon (once again, you probably should, but don't have to.) Might as well bring two.

A couple of Astropaths are cowering behind them, praying for the God-Emperor's salvation.

Yeesh.

You can make it so it cannot overheat with the Overlapping Fields of Fire stratagem if you deal a unsaved wound to the target with something else, because it gives + to hit which as per the FAQ means you cannot roll a one.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Strobe posted:

So I really like Broadsides. How they look, how tough the platform is, etc. I know they're pretty heavily overcosted for what they do right this minute, but I'm going to stick with them and hope the Tau codex fixes that problem at least a little bit. I do like how painful the Heavy Rail Rifles can be against armor, and I'm willing to put a good amount of eggs in that basket. Given a full squad of Broadsides as a given for anti-armor, how does the rest of this look? The lack of 4x Fusion Blasters on the Commander is due largely to how goofy I think the Fusion Blaster looks, and this is the model I have to work with.

Not bad, you might find yourself having trouble with vehicles, particularly if there are lanes of fire you cannot cover without moving as without target locks you are reliant on markerlights giving the ignore movement penalty. You will often find if the other guys unstands how pathfinders work the just vanish in a couple of turns at most. I would recommend having some more drones hanging around the broadsides and commander if they have any AT those 6 drone will get consumed fast, particularly if they target them with chaff clearing. The drones on the devilfish are okay for this, shield drones are also good since if they shoot at them directly they have to get through both the 4++ and the 5+++. I have some concern that you are spending an awful lot on the devilfish, but your milage may vary on that depending on terrain and local meta.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Strobe posted:

That's basically my read on it. The mechanized infantry in this list are proven commodities on my table. Really, the Strike/Breacher teams are 100% interchangeable in terms of how many of a given squad I use, but I typically max out at two Breacher Squads (one for each Cadre Fireblade). The Devilfish charges into something that hurts in the shooting phase and either forces it to fall back or ties it up for a turn, next turn the Breachers disembark within 2.5", the Devilfish falls back (I :spergin: a little bit and call it a "dust off") and shoots at whatever it wants, then the Breachers unload with 30 shots at S6 AP-2. Usually good for killing a squad of Terminators, on average, which is much more than I could otherwise reasonably expect for an 80 point unit (total of 249 for the Devilfish and Cadre Fireblade, which usually don't all die on the same turn to a single unit). The Fireblades don't always start embarked, because 2+ Markerlights are a fantastic way to start the chain.

I seriously thought about Target Locks on the Broadsides, but in the end decided I preferred the 4++ over what could be, for most of the game, something entirely redundant. 50/50 odds to flat-out ignore a melta shot wins, especially since if it's a particularly clutch shot I can choose to not move and skip worrying about Target Lock entirely. Total, there are 26 Markerlights in this list and I fully expect them to be the first things gunned down. That's why there are so many of them.

The cadre fireblade does not affect breachers, only units armed with pulse pistols, rifles and carbines gain the bonus shot.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
So here is a bit of math I want to harvest from you guys, so with Tau to get +1 and reroll 1s on against a target you need 80 points of pathfinder markerlights. Now can you replicate the effects with cadians for less? The cadian doctrine is rerolling 1s when you have not moved, and they have the 2 CP stratagem which lets you get +1 against a target if a unit has done a unsaved wound against it, so what is the cheapest way you can deal at least a wound to a land raider for example?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Strobe posted:

So I've been really unsure about how the Ion Rifle matches up to the Rail Rifle for Pathfinders, on account of how even though the Rail Rifle looks pretty good against basically everything the Ion Rifle is only 7 points to the Rail Rifle's 22.

Turns out the Rail Rifle is actually, on average, easily three times better than an Ion Rifle. Turns out AP-4 is much, muuuuuuuuch better than an extra two S.

Why do Ion Rifles such so much?

The thought I can see is that maybe having a expensive gun on a GEQ is risky? Honestly many things in the internal balance of Tau makes no sense, there is the ever present example of the burst cannon for example: why would you ever choose to take two burst cannons on a HH/DF for 20 when you can get two drones for 16 and have the same fire power with extra utility options? I could go on for hours on the weird poo poo going in tau index.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Strobe posted:

Yeah, for sure. Either Gun Drones need to be 11 points or a Burst Cannon needs to be 7 (hint: it's this one), but there's definitely a disconnect there.

It's just so much more bizarre with the Ion/Rail Rifle divide, though, where the Rail Rifle is almost three times better at literally everything and also can't accidentally kill its user and on top of that doesn't become a Heavy weapon when it tries to get more shots at range (that can also just flat out not happen).

Incidentally, Rail Rifles own bones.

Most of the time if you have an option between ion weapons and something else, you take the something else, the overcharge normally is not worth it with such low ap and damage. I am expecting gun drones to get more expensive along with the commander because they are both too good at everything, but unless this is accompanied with other buffs Tau are screwed.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Quick x-post from the mini painting thread

R0ckfish posted:

The dragon head turned out a bit meh but I cannot be bothered to redo it right now, otherwise happy with how this dude came out.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Phyresis posted:

i'm sure there are more

Tau Commanders - basically every other suit can be replicated with the commander objectively better and cheaper.
Drones - cheap bodies that let the commanders have effectively infinite burst cannons and wounds.

It makes making lists depressing when every time you pick something a nagging thought goes, "yeah its nice but that HYMP broadside is just a commander with missile pods except more expensive and slower".

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

chutche2 posted:

Indexes were a hack job, it's not really fair to compare tau to the codex factions with regards to auto includes

This is true, but is also a commonly whined about thing on a lot of forums so it is sort of worth mentioning particularly if there is gonna be a few months till any changes for them.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Not super happy with how the blade came out but otherwise fairly happy with how this dude turned out

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I did a few things in the last week

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I have never actually seen any actual elder infantry in person, are any of them actually good and if so do people avoid them due to the curse of finecast?

R0ckfish fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 17, 2017

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I painted some bling terminators and a chaplain

The termies have so many stupid little rivets everywhere

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Hell, it's nice having at least ONE army actually have to worry about Ld. So many armies basically ignore it now.

Ld feels really weird in practice, in all the games I have seen a player will lose less than 5 models in a game, the one exception is my tau where I typically lose a decent handful each game.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
How much anti tank do you guys typically take, and of what type? I have heard people say 4-12 lascannon equivalents for a bs3+ 2k force, how far off is that?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
How do things like powerfists on terminators or the various dreadnoughts factor into your antitank part of a force? does the inability to reliably get them into a target in the first turn or two significantly lower their value?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Strobe posted:

If I wanted to run Tyranids with mostly Warriors, Tyrants, and Fexes, how hosed am I?

Just wait a couple of weeks and we will know what the codex has changed.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

xtothez posted:

We should know 99-100% of the codex this time next week; once pre-orders are up the Mournival guys can all freely wave around their preview copies on twitch & youtube

True, this semester is making me lose track of what week it is. Their little teases so far have made me intrigued tho, particularly given I am doing nids when I finish my salamanders, which at the current rate is 2ish weeks putting me right on time for release.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I did a land raider! holy poo poo was working on it exhausting tho, just so much stuff to cover.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
SInce people are talking about AOP, this was my stores yesterday:
https://www.facebook.com/GWHeartlandTownCentre/posts/1544158988999641
Some impressive stuff was there.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

One_Wing posted:

Yeah, this is what I was looking at too.

The computer programmer and former magic judge in me really hate the fact that this is ambiguous - there is a single “flow” for the process of seeing if a model gets wounded, so if they want to have abilities that interfere with or trigger at points in that flow they should bloody well use consistent terminology for the steps! My problems with mortal wounds and saviour protocols in tau are the same - the magic judge in me says that by a very strict reading of saviour protocols the point in the “wound flow” that they interrupt doesn’t happen for a mortal wound, but most people appear to believe that it can offset them.

It frustrates me because the amount of additional discipline or targeted proof reading needed for this to not be a problem is not that high.

I have always interpreted it as mortal wounds skip straight from hit/cast to making the model losing wound(s), so unless something specifically says when you lose a wound do a thing it should be ignored. :shrug:

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

panascope posted:

The typical ones are guard equivalent (GEQ), marine equivalent (MEQ) and terminator equivalent (TEQ). Those were for past editions though and everything is so different it might be worth looking at other units to compare to.
Those are about right, I would also add rhino and land raider eqv.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Help I have fallen for nids and I can't decide on behemoth vs leviathan

I think overall I prefer the leviathan test model more, it has nice contrast to my eyes.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
So why is GW devoting time to churning out new things like new terrain or easy build versions of things when there are things that have been out of stock for literal months? I can kinda get easy builds to get people into the game, but is it not better to make more of the stuff that is flying off the shelves?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
They just updated the xenos 1 index FAQ, soulburst is your turn only and limited like psykers in one usage per turn for each ability.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/warhammer_40000_index_xenos_1_en-1.pdf

Or

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm pretty much in agreement. I've only played against Lords of War a couple times, but in both they didn't really add any fun to the game for me.

That said, I have a real itch to build a Skullhamma if they get rules again, specifically for loving with Robbie lists.

I have only had one game against a LOW, I did not really want to refuse it without trying but I am afraid the experience was about what I was expecting. It was a lord of skulls ( I think that is what it is called?) that I had to invest too much to prevent it just murdering things as it moved forward, I am not sure it actually made its points back but that does not matter too much given it meant I could not really deal with the rest of his heavy units.