Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I can't wait to waste the next twenty years of my life reading about this game, painting the models, and I guess playing it occasionally.

Same!

Also :siren:POST PHOTOS OF YOUR MANS:siren:

This is a whole new thread and it needs lots of photos of mans to stop it from being just a bunch of lists and Cutche2 complaining about gaunts

Also, as you play games this weekend, :siren:TAKE PHOTOS OF YOUR GAMES:siren: then come back here and post those photos and talk about the games. What's good about the new rules, what isn't, what worked in your game, what didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
e: ^^^^^ Bad rear end

In order to fill out all the army banners, I had to do photos of my Deathwatch and Thousand Sons, which I previously hadn't done group photos of. So I figured I'd go ahead and share the photos I used to make those banners.

Here's my Deathwatch, who are about 10 models away from being complete. Maybe 11, depending on how much I want to do a Watch Captain with a Xenophase blade now that they can do that.

My Thousand Sons, who have a loooong way to go

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 16, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

There had to be one where people who actually play the game get together and talk about playing it

chutche2 posted:

Working on these guys. Other than some places that need cleaning up how should I improve them before I put on the decals?

Have you done any edge highlights? Hard to tell from your photo. I'd recommend doing those next

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

chutche2 posted:

I two brush blended some P3 coal black over the black segments, and did a little bit of edgework with a grey. I also used p3 quicksilver to highlight the metals.

hm. The biggest thing is that they come across a little flat. Maybe some washes next, carroburg crimson for the red cloth, agrax eartshade for the bronze bits, and nuln oil for the steel bits on the armor

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Zuul the Cat posted:

I will be tomorrow at mine. No midnight release, as corporate feels the amount of sales doesn't justify the overtime. :(

Oh man. My friend took some hi-res shots of my AdMech today and good lord I love this model.

Your AdMech dudes are so good.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
:siren:THECHIRURGEON'S CAMPAIGN UPDATE:siren:

Hi everyone, as you may recall from the prior thread, I've been running a Planetary Onslaught Campaign with my group. We wrapped up game 6 a couple of weeks ago, a larger 2v2 game wherein my Chaos Space Marines teamed up with Necrons and ultimately were forced to fall back from our fortified position by Tau and AdMech forces. That ended Phase I of our campaign.

With 7th edition in our rear-views and the rules we were using now out-of-date, we had to figure out how we were going to move forward in our campaign. Fortunately, the new 8th edition rulebook had some cool ideas about how a 40k campaign could be run that I was able to adapt into a system that will work for us. We're adding 4 new players in phase II, including BuffaloChicken and his Genestealer Cults, and looking for a little more flexibility in how we do rounds. So in the interest of sharing the love, I'm sharing the campaign rules I've been working on!

THE PAULUS CAMPAIGN

Welcome to Paulus, a small ice-covered planet in the Sullocillo System. Paulus has largely gone unnoticed by Imperial Surveyors, appearing to be useful only as an outpost. Until recently, that is.

Chaos forces have descended upon Paulus, looking for something. Their arrival has woken the Necrons that have long slumbered beneath the planet's surface. As they clash with tainted Imperial forces, they find they must also contend with the enigmatic Eldar, selfish Adeptus Mechanicus, and now invading Tau, looking to strike a Mont'Ka on the vulnerable world. And Orks, always eager to fight, now drop to the planet's surface, ready to prove their worth against so many enemies.

What are the forces of Chaos looking for? Why do the Eldar want to stop them so badly? Are Orks really Da Strongest? And who will claim Paulus?

THE CAMPAIGN RULES
Basically, each phase of the campaign lasts 6 Rounds. Each round, players are assigned to play one or more players (winners usually matched up against last round's winners). Once that happens, players have 6 weeks to schedule your game and play it, then the round ends (A round can end early if everyone gets their games in).

Once a player knows who their opponent is, they need to get ahold of them and schedule a time/date/place to play. Before they meet up, they check the campaign rules--there's a table of CAMPAIGN ACTIONS for players to choose from. This looks complicated, but it's really cool and deceptively simple--all you do is each pick an action (based on the bonus you want to get from winning, or the type of game you want to play), then reveal your actions. Then check the table. The actions you chose will determine the mission you play. What table, you ask? This table right here, which is a modified version of the one in the 8th edition rulebook, only including more Stronghold Assault, Planetstrike, and Cities of Death missions.

Why would you select a specific action? Because actions determine the kind of bonus you'll get for winning in the next round.

Once players figure out a mission, they figure out how many points they want to play, build their armies, meet up and play. The winner gets to use the bonus from their action in their next game!

Shadow War and Kill Team
We've also made rules to incorporate Shadow War and Kill Team. Players can maintain a kill team in either/both, and play up to 1 game per round of each that "counts" for campaign purposes. Each Killteam win scores the winner 1 Prometheum Cache. Prometheum Caches won in either game type can be spent prior to a game of 40k to get +1 CP for that game, which can be spent before or during the game. Note: We may incorporate these in other ways later in the campaign, but for the time being they're mostly smaller campaigns that run alongside the 40k campaign

Download the Campaign Rules!!

Supreme Warlords
In addition to this, each player in the campaign has to designate a Supreme Warlord, who gets to pick a Warlord trait that they have throughout the campaign. At the start of each new phase (every 6 Rounds in our campaign), Warlords earn a new trait. Only the Supreme Warlord can earn Warlord Traits, and unique characters can't act as your Supreme Warlord. Well, they can, but they don't get traits so it'd be a bit of a waste. We've also created a list of Warlord Traits for the campaign to cover the loss of faction-specific traits.

Check out the Rules for Supreme Warlords, with Campaign Warlord Traits

New Missions
Ok, so you think all this looks great, but you've noticed that not all the missions on that chart are in the new rulebook. Or you think this is all a hassle, but just want some new missions. Well, we've also added a bunch of new missions to round out the chart and cover a few more narrative bases. Most of these are updates of older missions in 4th - 7th edition supplements, but a few are brand new, such as

Ok, you just want the missions, you can find those here:
Assassinate
Breakout
Breakthrough
Cloak and Dagger <---- my favorite mission of the new ones. If you try this one out, *PLEASE* give me feedback on it!
Crossfire
Planetstrike rules, which includes Planetfall and Planetquake missions
Rearguard
Resource Extraction
Sniper's Alley
The Chase
Trench Warfare

BONUS MISSION
FURY ROAD - Exactly what it sounds like. An updated version of the Gorkamorka mission "Da Chase"

I'll be doing updates on the campaign as we go similar to what I was doing in the last thread, and sharing my thoughts/ideas on designing/running a campaign. This is my third campaign in the last few years, and has been running for just over a year now. Hoping to make the jump to 8th smoothly and mix things up in a way that the players will find interesting but not too complicated. The plan is to mostly use the mission table with the occasional event/special round thrown in. For example: In this Round 1 of phase 2, two of our new players have to play Planetfall missions as attackers, to represent their forces dropping to the planet's surface and attempting to establish a forward base. As we do these special rounds/mission choices, I'll note those as well.

If you choose to use these rules with your own group, or just test out the missions, I'd love to hear your feedback on the experience or the missions and suggestions for tweaking them.

In case you missed it, Download the Campaign Rules Here

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 17, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

xtothez posted:

Eh, I don't mind how many points it is so long as it can go toe to toe with Imperial Titans now. Watching them get auto-deleted before moving on turn 1 by a much cheaper Warhound was never a fun use of £200+. That leak looks promising; if it can really put out a bucket of ranged damage dice each turn then Hierophants may not be a waste of time.

I've got the FW Chaos index btw if you have questions

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ayn Marx posted:

Finally have my bigmars. These monopose kits are great quality, I'm really hyped for the multipart ones now. The classic marines look really lame next to the bigmars though.

I've got the starter kit ones as well. I think I'm gonna do one squad as Deathwatch and maybe do the rest as add-ons to my White Panthers. I was really impressed with the models.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kids and Guns posted:

I haven't played since 6th Edition, but my local shop was selling starters for about $100. I split it and got the Death Guard for only 50.

Guess I'm getting sucked back in!

Welcome back! Good time to come back.

Hixson posted:

Its not too late to past pics of all my mans right?

30k Thousand Sons:

<LOTS OF RAD MANS>

These are loving rad as hell

Danimo posted:

New edition, new army, new player. I love my precious dust sons

These are also great and if I'd had this before the thread went up, I'd have used this for the Thousand Sons banner :)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
8TH EDITION BATTLE REPORT: CHAOS VS. NECRONS

Had time to play a game of 40k today, 2,000 points of Chaos Space Marines (World Eaters) & Khorne Daemons vs. Necrons. Thanks to the release of the Forgeworld Index today, I was able to incorporate one of my biggest models: The Kharybdis Assault Drop Pod. For this mission, I stuffed it full of 19 Berserkers (2 squads) and a Chaos Lord. 3 Power Axes on the characters, everyone else had chainaxes. Also brought the Bloodthirster, some cultists, some Bloodletters, a squad of Flesh Hounds, a squad of terminators with lightning claws, and 390 points set aside for summoning stuff.

The Mission was Maelstrom: Spoils of War. I wanted to try the new Maelstrom Tactical Objectives, which are different from the 7th edition list by quite a bit. We ended up getting "Spoils" as our mission, which is the most luck-driven IMO, since anyone can score any "Secure Objective X" objective during their turn. That said--it wasn't nearly as bad as 7th, in part because only 12 of the objectives (instead of 18) are "Score objective X" now. This ended up making things a lot more enjoyable, since I never felt like I was just getting hosed over by bad card luck during the game.

Deployment:

What Went Down:
- I ended up using the points to summon a squad of Flesh Hounds (meh), Blood Crushers (good), and a Skull Cannon (terrible mistake) throughout the game. Early on I used the Bloodthirster to capture a forward objective, which ended up being a huge mistake because it put him too close to my opponent's Lychguard, who eventually used the bonus from Anrakyr to chase him down and murder the gently caress out of him, because Bloodthirsters really aren't poo poo this edition and Lychguard with Warscythes are loving brutal.

- On the other hand, I dropped the Kharybdis right down in the middle of my opponent's poo poo and proceeded to punish him all game. 19 Berserkers and a Chaos Lord poured out, then promptly mulched a squad of Necron Warriors. I wasn't able to get past it and consolidate into the squad behind them though, which was *brutal*--I could only get a Cryptek and a Ghost Arc caught in my charge, the latter of which had Fly and dropped back, leading to a bunch of berserkers eating it when the other squad of Warriors that didn't get mulched and some Tomb Blades unloaded into them. Only 3 of them and the Chaos Lord survived, but they'd eventually get some damage in.

- The Kharybdis was loving Game MVP. The Thermal Jet Array was brutally effective at damaging multiple units per turn (the missile pods were kind of poo poo since they only hit on 5+ when you move now), and the Melta Ram put in enough work to kill the Doom Scythe in 2 hits--make sure to keep CP around to re-roll that poo poo if you take one. Overall the Kharybdis killed the Doom Scythe, the Ghost Arc, a Cryptek, a Tomb Spyder, and a bunch of Warriors, Immortals, and Tomb Blades.

- The Skullcannon just sucks. Maybe I needed to get it into close combat but it just wasn't very good. I also never rolled more than 1 shot with it, even when it got D6 from shooting at warriors.

- My Bloodcrushers and Juggernaut Lord ended up making it up the flank to wreck house, but caught bad luck when his Orikan went Super Sayan right as they arrived. I eventually took him down, but not before he killed my Warlord.

- The Bloodcrushers, remaining berserkers, and Terminators swept up the flank and made short work of the immortals along with the Kharybdis, but ultimately I wasn't able to catch up on VPs as my opponent scored +3 VPs for capping a specific objective with his warlord. It kept him from buffing some units, so that probably helped me, but overall I couldn't make up the gap quick enough and the game ending early on turn 5 left me losing, 12-7.

THE HIGHLIGHTS

My Kharybdis drops in to unload some homeboys. I love this loving thing

The Lychguard try to chase down some Bloodletters after they turn the Bloodthirster into a lovely, hairly pulp. The Bloodletters just fled, leaving the Lychguard holding their tiny robot dicks most of the game without a Lord to boost their movement/charges

The Berserkers sweep in from the side, then get shot to poo poo after killing one 18-man Necron Warrior squad

The Kharybdis flew around, dropping fire and melta bursts on loving everything

Juggerlord rides in like a boss

But then gets stopped by this stupid blue rear end in a top hat all high on C'Tan butthole juice or star power or some poo poo

The Kharybdis ends up locked in combat with Anrakyr, where it probably would have gotten him eventually. Maybe.

Thoughts:
- Berserkers are real loving good. Also chainaxes are really good too. I like them more than chainswords, especially against Necrons where you're gonna go up against a lot of T5 douchebags

- Skullcannons are bad

- Bloodthirsters seem bad unless you've got big targets to take on. I dunno it seems like big monsters just don't have enough attacks to make it worth it and now that he can be hit on a 2+ or 3+ by any rear end in a top hat with a knife, his survivability seems way lower

- The Kharybdis was game MVP, easily. That thing is so hilariously good

- Bloodcrushers are good now, which owns. They get so many attacks, and not being able to be instant death'd is a huge improvement

- Lychguard are stupid loving dangerous

- The new Tactical Objectives deck is a million times better than the old one. The 2-turn objective missions are a big improvement, and only a few of the cards were downright unscore-able, and only one (use/negate a psychic power) was unplayable from the start of the game. The cards weren't in my favor this time, but I didn't feel like I got hosed, and if we'd had a turn 6, I'd have probably tied it up.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Battle Report: 1500 Orks vs Space Marines
Wait, Space Marines Reroll Leadership?

Impressions
  • Orks are fun!
  • Battlewagons that are meant to go forward and murder stuff may not need guns. By the second turn I was embroiled in close combat and wasn't able to shoot.
  • The KFF Meks did nothing. Part of that was because my buddy was overwhelmed and didn't really focus fire, but I believe that given their high toughness those points might be better spent elsewhere.
  • Deffrollas are amazing. 6 S8 attacks that hit on a 2+, wound T4 on a 2+, and have a -2 to armor saves does a great job of eroding down marines.
  • Dakkajets seem really good for their points. They're surprisingly tough, put out an incredible volume of fire, and can maneuver all over the place.
  • I can see that Orks really suffer against tanks outside of Power Klaws. I may redo the list to eliminate the KFF Meks and put in Ghaz and Weirdboys to provide more maneuvering and impact.
  • I'm really starting to doubt if shoota boyz are worth it compared to the extra attack of slugga boyz, but I only got a few rounds of shooting in before I changed units.
  • The WAAAGH! Nobs really seemed to help, but they're expensive at 84 points each and I might want to hold off
  • This was my buddy's first game in nearly a decade, and his dice were absolutely abhorrent. Even if his tactical squads hadn't been wiped out due to us forgetting about the Marine morale benefit he really suffered.
  • I don't think any unit got cover or had LOS problems.
  • I think that Dreadnoughts with quad autocannons will be incredibly useful this edition. Being able to shoot 8 times and do 2 damage every wound is extremely powerful.
  • Small squads seem extremely vulnerable. My buddy has already said that he'll likely get rid of the assault squad.
  • The game is really great. Tight, well designed, and maneuvering plays a major role in getting the advantage against your foe. Things like maneuvering your units to engage forces you want to fight next turn, making sure aura effects are appropriately located, etc.
  • I think my friend really suffered by not focusing the dreads together and putting as much fire into the Battlewagons as possible.

All in all I had an incredible time, and I'm excited to play again!

Nah man, I was just about to post--good report! It's been my experience that people tend to not care about the turn-by-turn so I just do the highlights unless there's something particularly tactically interesting about the game worth discussing. Also, more photos that show off cool game details and less "here is the table on turn X." The impressions are good though--very interesting to read.

I agree that the game is really tight now. Our 2,000-point game took just under 3 hours at a fairly leisurely pace, and while that's not super-fast, we also checked the game rules maybe once the entire time. HUGE improvement over 7th, where we'd check the rules a minimum of 3 times per game for some stupid corner case or USR.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Solemn Sloth posted:

idk, I tend to think it's a more sensible outcome than the alternative personally

Yeah I think Twig is right on this one

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Kingfish posted:

It's actually good rules lawyering.

Not even lawyering at all, really. Just reading the rules.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Mostly finished up the first of my Primaris Marines. I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. I imagine by the time i paint the last one they'll be perfect.

I need to go back over the cape with black and highlight with dark reaper instead of gray, and I still gotta do his backpack and base.

This looks really good! I've never had the balls to do a quartered legion, especially one with yellow and red as the colors.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

xtothez posted:

I'd expect that this mechanism is an abstraction to allow 'surprise attacks' that demonstrate units being caught off-guard from an unexpected angle.

For example, the Dimachaeron has a special rule allowing it to ignore vertical distances during movement, letting it leap over obstacles. The same scenario could apply to any charging jump pack or jetbike units.

Or Necron Wraiths coming through the walls to attack their prey

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

WhiteWolf123 posted:

"Fixed". Now I can't move my transport, disembark and then assault...

You can move and assault after you disembark. If you need to keep them in the transport another turn, keep them in the transport.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

goose willis posted:

Oh they loving better

If they don't I'm going to produce so much angry ranting I'll be able to fill several death threads up with nothing but my own seething rage

Like I understand that at the moment everything is generic to keep everything on a balanced playing field as they develop the proper intricacies of 8th edition but if it turns out that it's just gonna be the Imperium getting all the focus as usual while Chaos just gets the scraps in the form of inefficient unappealing analogs I am going to blow my poo poo so hard

You take Chaos Space Marines because they are troops with a higher Ld and armor save than cultists and rapid firing bolters are really good in this edition. I don't think they're as bad as they were in 7th, or as bad as you're making them out to be. Havoc squads are great for pouring out Autocannon shots, but they get real poo poo once they start moving.

goose willis posted:

What is that? I am not familiar with the names of most big Tyranid monsters

It's loving cool, is what it is

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Tendinitis sucks, but I'm finally bouncing back enough that I can paint - here's some Assault Terminators for my Templars:

These are loving cool. Good work!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

I think Decimators might be good now?? They're about the same cost as a Hellbrute, and the weapon options are probably better:

In fact, most of the chaos stuff in the Forgeworld Index seems worth taking; the only downside I see is that you can't take any of it in a traitor legion list (i.e no Thousand Sons, Emperor's Children, etc, keyword)

Sure you can, they share the HERETIC ASTARTES and CHAOS keywords

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Plus that Decimator says <Legion> which you can make into any legion you want.

enh... maybe. The legion rules in Index Chaos might take precedence, which give very defined lists of what can have the World Eaters, Thousand Sons, Death Guard, or Emperor's Children keywords. I forget if they covered that in the FW Indexes, but I'd be surprised if they were smart enough to do that.

e: Yep, just looked at the epub and nothing allowing those legions to take FW vehicles. Fuckin lol that Forgeworld charges money for these books

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 19, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

chutche2 posted:

I think stormravens are awesome as hell but getting a crusader means I can bust out my relic tanks which look amazing. The two lists are pretty much equivalent as far as which one is better on the table, I'm trying to work out if I want to spend my money to airdrop my contemptor and terminators from a flying land raider, or taking an actual land raider so I can field my 30k tanks in 40k. Because the relic sicaran looks loving amazing, it moves 14 inches and can fire on the move. I could be cheap and fit in my 3 mortars for 27 points to open up that heavy support slot but that feels kinda bullshit, I don't like mixing in one guard unit for an advantage.

The one thing I'd suggest is that you don't make the mistake of discounting mobility. One of the most common mistakes I see 40k players make when they try to build lists is, because it's difficult to quantify, they completely disregard the role of mobility and assign zero value to the unit's ability to get around the table, reach objectives/combat, and retreat to a safe distance when outmatched. So you end up with people talking about how "crazy" it is that Jump Pack Death Company cost more than Berserkers, when the latter may be more brutal in close combat, but they require you buy a transport to get them there

e: Basically, I'm saying I think the Storm Raven is a better choice

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

Yeah I discounted Hydras initially but the +1 to hit against anything with FLY is way more interesting now that that's how jump troops and such get around the place.

One of my favorite things about 8th edition is the FLY keyword and how models interact with units that have it. From getting bonuses against jump/jet infantry to allowing them to assault flyers, the changes have been nothing but positive

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

chutche2 posted:

I agree. I wish flakk missiles were still a thing though. But with 25 point missile launchers I guess I don't need them being even more expensive.

I guess, though Flakk missiles were only necessary when hitting flyers was otherwise impossible and even then they weren't worth taking most of the time because S7 AP4 against flyers was garbage. If they did put them in this edition, they could give them a +1 to hit models with FLY but you'd rarely take them over Krak missiles even then.

ijyt posted:

gently caress this and gently caress removal of JSJ.

nobody misses that dumb poo poo hth

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
When people are playing games of 8th edition, what missions are you playing? So far I've played one each of Planetstrike, Eternal War, and Maelstrom and found the new Maelstrom missions to be much improved, but I suspect that games and experiences will differ greatly both while players are learning the new edition and also based on the mission played.

In particular, the Narrative Missions strike me as the most fun to play in the new edition, but I suspect that people are mostly playing the standard Eternal War/Maelstrom set.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

DO IT TO IT posted:

Were you rolling for reserves? I'm pretty sure you just choose the turn he comes in.

Some of the narrative missions use Reserves rules and have strategems that let you modify the results

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Fuegan posted:

Did they consolidate from a combat they had taken part in and take out the Russ in the same turn? Cause I'm pretty sure they can't do that.

Unless they're berserkers, in which case they can totally do that poo poo :getin:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Naramyth posted:

It's fine and helps MSU more than large units. It's only d6+models lost.

There's definitely a sweet spot for most units and I don't think it's "minimum size" for most. Like you don't want to run minimum size Necron Warrior squads because you want to keep them able to reanimate, so somewhere in the 12-18 range is probably ideal.

And for Orks and Tyranids I think you still want to go bigass hordes

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

mango sentinel posted:

MSU is mathematically and practically more resilient to morale checks. You lost most of a small unit and then roll poorly on morale it may get wiped out, but you're still likely losing fewer models overall. 9 wounds plus a morale check into a 10 man Space Marine Squad is taking fewer models off the table than it would into 30 man unit. They incentivize blobs with units like Commissars to circumvent morale checks, or things that make Morale easier to pass like Mob Rule.

Not necessarily. Yeah, to some extent--a 5-man devastator squad is more resilient to morale-related deaths, but less resilient to suffering casualties from shooting and assaults--they lose combat effectiveness much faster than a 10-man devastator squad because each wound they take reduces their effectiveness by more than 20%.

Also, every army has the ability to auto-pass moral checks if they eat it real bad one turn.

quote:

Also people do realize losing models to Morale is supposed to abstract them breaking and fleeing the battle, right?

It can mean breaking and fleeing, blipping out of existence, phasing out, succumbing to additional wounds, being eaten by your comrades, etc.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Artum posted:

That's the first squad largely done, I'm humming and hawing over whether I'm gonna do squad identifiers and such on them so haven't varnished and fully committed yet but I'm pretty happy with them. Decided to use the nominal sergeant as a normal dude for a bit more visual variety in the squad and while i really wasn't sold on inceptors when they were announced I'm a lot more partial to them without the armour colour on their respirators so they dont look like they have big dumb mouths.

Next order of business is batch painting an intercessor squad which will hopefully take me less time than these greebly motherfuckers.

These look really cool. Good work! I"m looking forward to seeing the intercessors.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

moths posted:

I seriously prefer this method of resolving morale. It abstracts an individual's momentary lack of discipline or hesitation that gets them cut down, which is much more plausible than the entire unit fleeing as a group.

It's that scene where the guy takes off his helmet to look at the dent just before getting shot a second time.

I like it because it's faster and easier to resolve and doesn't create dumb situations where I have a unit fleeing off the board, either because I kept rolling too high or because they were deployed too close to the table edge

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

jadebullet posted:

So did anyone else notice that Slaanesh got shafted in the rulebook? Every other God got a 2 page spread showing the respective army, but Slaanesh just got a small picture of a few Noise Marines to represent the Emperors Children.

Also, there is a badass picture that has a panel for each god, with Abbadon in the center. Each gods panel shows the army being badass, except Slaanesh, which is just a picture of a renegade Knight.

Every other faction has gotten new models and rules in the last year and a half, so that's probably why.

panascope posted:

Also man power levels are a lot cooler than points

This guy gets it

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Pendent posted:

The idea of just being able to just run everything WYSIWYG without having to worry about how much a flamer vs a plasma rifle costs is a very appealing one. My lists are already constrained by how my stuff is modeled so PP seems like it could be a good fit for me sometimes.

This is p much what they're for, and a fine way to play imo. I don't want to constantly skip over taking dude X because he's the one with the power axe and that's 5 points more than this other weapon, etc.

People were quick to condemn power as "GW giving up on balance" but I've always seen it as a good compromise for players who aren't interested in debating the value of 9-man vs 10-man squads and just want to bring the armies they built. If you care about a plasma gun costing more than a flamer, they aren't for you and that's fine.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a cool system for things that are quick and fun, but I really don't expect to see it outside of fast and casual games. Plus it means having to modify my tanks rather significantly.

It actually doesn't

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Look if you're worried about getting the most out of units when you do a PL game, then they're not for you. And that is totally fine

But if you built your army 3 editions ago and don't want to break off anyone's arms to kit your unit out to proper 8th edition build specs so you can have the most efficient army, then hey maybe consider PLs

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

I see this argument the other way. People might be popping off chainsword arms to slap on powerfists thunder hammers to take advantage of the new system. In points they'd have to account for that and there are reasons to keep the cheaper options.

Yeah but again, PLs aren't for the people thinking about getting the most "free" points value out of them.

Most of the time 40k has rewarded players for taking cheaper or more efficient choices. If you took anything but grav cannons in 7th edition on your devastators, you were wasting your time

PLs are for people who built heavy bolter devastators, because those look cool as gently caress

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

chutche2 posted:

I built heavy bolter devastators though, and wouldn't use them in PL, they're at a big disadvantage. 7 PL for 4 heavy bolters?

But I use them frequently in a points match.

If grav cannons and missile launchers didn't exist, I'd actually be OK with Heavy bolters costing the same as Lascannons because they fill such different roles. Ideally, that's how most weapon choices would be balanced but instead here we are

but also the good news about PLs is, if you're worried about not getting the full advantage of your army based on PLs, you can just not play with them

e: On the other hand, if you're a rad dude who is OK with maybe having fewer points than your opponent sometimes and more other times but you know no one's trying to gently caress each other over, then maybe give PLs a shot

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 21, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

I have a bunch of heavy bolter devastators and I don't have a single grav weapon in my army. :colbert: I never bought any because my marines are mostly from 3rd/4th edition.

I'll be honest, man, I know what you're trying to get at, but the "Power is for cool dudes who don't care about balanced games like some kind of grognard" blanket statements are really lame. People can play with what they like; I've been trying to frame my posts as my own personal preference, not an absolute. I just see more loopholes and the possibility for abuse with Power and that's why I'll be avoiding it. It's not that I expect my friends to build lists like that, but I don't like that the option is there. I think it serves its purpose as a simpler system to ease new players into the game and with the right crowd it is probably fine. That doesn't change the fact that it doesn't account for everything. If taking a powerfist, for example, added 1 power to a unit, I'd be more open to it.

It's not for me and that is all I have been trying to get at. :shobon:

Nah, man it's not like that--I'm totally OK with people playing to win and going full bore at 40k. I like to do that sometimes too. It's not about calling people "filthy WAAC-ers," which I agree is lame poo poo. It's just more about the vibe of the game you are playing is what I'm saying, and if you are worried about loopholes and abuse, then it's just not for you. I don't think it's a tautology, either--it's more that you have to just be OK with the idea that somewhere, there's a more granular points system that may say one player has a slight advantage over the other

Let me put it this way: When I play against BuffaloChicken or srm, we'll probably use power. It's quicker and easier and I'll throw something together based on WSIWYG with my models and I don't care if I'm down by a hundred points or so going into the game. We'll also probably play an asymmetric scenario.

When I play against my buddy Dan, those games are more competitive and we'll play with points cause that's the type of game we'll play. In those games, I care a lot more about having balanced forces down to the granular points.

It's not that I think PLs are the be-all end-all, just that they're very good for a type of game/mood and not just to be "intro versions of points." I think they do a decent job describing the general strength of stuff and are good for building lists for WSIWYG armies that have "subpar" loadouts.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

What is the goonsensus on 8th? Pick up the game again, or burn your minis?

8th is pretty good and it's a great time to get back into the game.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 22, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Naramyth posted:

Yeah it was something else. I killed 15 warriors and the deceiver turn one. Turn two they melted most of the wraiths. Just forcing an ocean of mortal wounds is pretty good.

ETC is considering banning the HQ detachment because of garbage like this and Tau missile commanders.

Feels like it's worth waiting at least like, a month before banning things and letting the meta actually shake out

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

JBP posted:

I think FW got rushed to release their rule books for the release of 8th. Their in house game is good and that's where their effort seems to go.

Man don't blame this on rush; even books they take years to release have garbage editing

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

poo poo, if it's that bad I might cancel my preorder for the books. How are you guys finding this stuff out?

The ebooks are already available for purchase

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NORTH-HALL posted:

Yeah these books are badly written disappointments that are not worth it imo

Yeah the Chaos one is good but these are terrible

Also lol that there is an entire thread/playerbase that wants Forgeworld to write a new release/update of the 7th edition rules. Good luck with that, fellas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

BULBASAUR posted:

Except bigly marines don't have MK3 armour, which is objectively the best armor

What if you have MK3 armor but it has stupid stars on it that make no goddamn sense for your chapter because no one gave a gently caress when they were modeling the torsos, e.g. the appropriate level of care to give to your trashcan legion of assholes