Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The Jumpoff posted:

I think my biggest hold backs are:

He's probably going to be 300+ points.

The advance and charge for infantry is already on a warboss, which is screenable (although more vulnerable to snipers admittedly) and costs waaaaaaay less.

He's 12 wounds, which means even with only taking 4 wounds per phase he's just going to immediately take 4 wounds in the first turn shooting phase, and possibly an extra 4 in the first turn psychic, and be on his middle profile.

He's a monster, which i think means he can't ride in transports, and he doesn't get his own advance and charge rule, and he cannot be Da Jumped. So you're either deep-striking him to get him in melee range anytime soon, or he's durdling around on the back of the board doing gently caress-all.

The model is dope as hell and i want one, but it'll be a cool shelf-piece most likely. I'll take a Morkanaut if i want a 300+ point model on the field.

it's really hard to do 4 targeted moral wounds in the Psychic phase. Most armies don't even have the ability. Remember that Smite only hits the closest visible unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Saga of the Beast Reviews

Space Wolves:
https://www.goonhammer.com/saga-of-the-beast-review-space-wolves/

Orks:
https://www.goonhammer.com/saga-of-the-beast-review-orks/

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Count_Brass posted:

Cross-posting my latest, someone talk me out of building a Chaos Space Marine army while I'm stuck at home!

ooooh, I love the pink flame on that guy. Totally going to do the same when I paint my Alpha Legion MoP.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Midig posted:

From looking at competitive lists. Most of them look kinda boring with loads of the same stuff and spam. Every list that brings Lord discordant brings 3 of them. I wish there were more "diminishing returns" mechanics to maybe incentivize more balanced lists.

I want Red corsairs for CP battery, either Alpha legion for their real nice stratagems with possessed or Night lords with Heldrake + flyer units for Vox scream. Then a Slaanesh detachment. I would like any excuse to bring in a keeper of secrets, is such a cool looking unit. Shame that I am stuck with three detachments and only Red Corsairs seem good if I want CP without going for a batallion.

Note: Some guy said this in a video and I think I agree, adding CP for adding CSM should be a codex wide thing. Same for tactical marines to help them not get completely phased out. As he said, it even makes sense since their unit is supposed to represent tactical flexibility and I think CP would fit both rule and fluff wise.

The issue you're going to have is that Lords Discordant and Keepers of Secrets are targetable from the jump thanks to having 10+ wounds. The reason you take 3 is so you can have redundancies, because your opponent isn't as likely to kill three of them before they can act, giving you better threat saturation than a balanced list. You'll find the same issue running Helrakes - I run two when I run them.

Tulip posted:

I played some Necrons over TTS a few weeks ago. It was a 1000 point game so the 'cron were actually incredibly miserable for my opponent, since there's some tipping point below which "deleting entire squads of immortals" becomes improbable. That said, even at that point level, I didn't feel like the Reanimation Protocols were much more than 'inconvenient.'

Things that I'd say were great

-Extermination Protocols gives Destroyers "reroll all hits and wounds," which lets out an incredible amount of hurt
-Quantum Shielding is comical and incredibly frustrating for your opponent, not sure about actually good.
-C'tan are, sincerely, good. Goonhammer has done a bunch about it.
-On a list that is otherwise incredibly point inefficient, Scarab Swarms are great at screening and holding objectives.

In a bunch of the last tournaments, Eldar soup builds were in top positions, and generally were "Crafts + a minimum Patrol of Druks so you can use Vect."

Necrons are incredibly good at 1000 points and below, where armies lack the concentrated firepower to actually remove whole squads and prevent Reanimation Protocols from repairing things.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Midig posted:

I still believe that you should have 2x max of an HQ unless it's just a generic lord or psyker. They didn't go far enough.

Also, to get my last rant out of my way. I appreciate that GW wants to create cool and dynamic figures, but it should not be a business model to create figures that will inevitably break upon transporting it anywhere, making you desperately fix it or have to buy a new one. I still get nightmares about my Dark Elder flying units. Magnets should be included at the very least. Just look at it, the wings, sure. But the feet and flails as well. Is an absolute nightmare for anyone owning cats.

Meh. If they're gonna limit you to three detachments then limiting non-Troop/non-DTs to 3 per is fine

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Strelok604 posted:

Thinking about what's possible with Scarab Occult Terminators now: if you deepstrike a unit of 10 with an exalted sorcerer with prescience and weaver of fates, and use the new fire twice stratagem and veterans, you can have 80 S4 -2 bolter shots hitting on 2s rerolling 1s, with +1 to the wound roll, and a 4+ invuln, which goes up to 3 against D1 weapons. You can even get that down to 3+ with the strategem, and that's not even with cult powers from the unit sorcerer, like time or knowledge.

I'm quite happy with what we got in psychic awakening.

Yeah, thousand sons are pretty good now. Rubrics and scarabs show up in your ament lists and the cult of magic supreme detachment is real serious.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
That is absolutely what is happening, and you shouldn't bother to read the 500-word article that image is for

E: I can confirm, my uncle works for Games Workshop

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 18, 2020

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
I also have Thousand Sons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kitchner posted:

Bit gutted for a friend as he overslept by 45 mins and now can't by the Necrons he wanted

lol those things are gonna be cheap as free on ebay; I wouldn't worry