Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/us/suicide-texting-trial-michelle-carter-conrad-roy.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

TAUNTON, Mass. — A young woman who sent a barrage of text messages to another teenager urging him to kill himself was found guilty Friday of involuntary manslaughter in a case that many legal experts had expected to result in an acquittal.

The verdict, handed down by a judge in a nonjury trial, was a rare legal finding that, essentially, a person’s words alone can directly cause someone else’s suicide.

This terrible girl convinced her boyfriend to get back in his poison truck with horrible abuse and didn't get away with it. Some people are unhappy about this on principle.

quote:

Being A Bitch Is Now A Criminal Offense, Apparently
If “free will” is to mean anything, you cannot “suicide” a person to death. You can murder someone, you can accidentally murder someone, you can pay someone to murder someone for you, you can set up a criminal organization under which murders occur on your behalf, you can even set up conditions so inherently unsafe that you are criminally responsible for anybody who happens to die. But you can’t kill a person who kills themselves. The self-killing breaks the causal chain between your actions, however reprehensible, and the death.

Until today.

But this was pretty loving awful. As this article I read admits.

quote:

Carter’s texts to her then-boyfriend were undoubtedly mean. Abusive even. She encouraged him to kill himself, believing, she claims, that he really wanted to do it and that he would be happier in heaven if he did. She also called him on his cell phone, encouraging him to go through with it. Allegedly, at one point Roy got out of his car and Carter told him to get back in.

I found the judges argument reasonable.

New York Times posted:

“She instructed Mr. Roy to get back into the truck, well knowing his ambiguities, his fears, his concerns,” Judge Moniz said. “This court finds that instructing Mr. Roy to get back in the truck constituted wanton and reckless conduct, by Ms. Carter creating a situation where there is a high degree of likelihood that substantial harm will result to Mr. Roy.”

As he finished, Judge Moniz asked Ms. Carter, who was sobbing, to stand. He then concluded: “This court, having reviewed the evidence, finds you guilty on the indictment with involuntary manslaughter.”

I would go so far as to say the victim's fragile state of mind plus the fact that he was suffering from poisoning at the time makes it analogous to someone convincing their senile grandmother to take a walk on the freeway. But it's... "just words".

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
the "if they didn't like it why didn't they just ignore it and leave, dummies!!!" defence will revolutionise harassment and domestic violence

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What exactly are you arguing for or against, OP?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
She's a terrible person and I'm glad she's going to jail.

Password_Is_Taco
Jun 6, 2013
Good thing this was a nonjury trial, definitely an unambiguous issue that should be decided by a single appointed gov't official

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The sarcasm falls apart if you knew the defendant is the one to choose between a judge or jury trial.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Lid posted:

The sarcasm falls apart if you knew the defendant is the one to choose between a judge or jury trial.

If I were in her shoes I would have chosen trial by judge too. Most lawyers apparently thought this was legally shaky -- I have no idea whether that's true, but just sayin.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think there's a difference between saying "kill yourself" in an online game to some random person on the Internet (which I don't condone, for the record) versus someone who you know very well and could be easily swayed. However, I think the latter needs to be proved beyond reasonable doubt that the defendant knew the victim was at risk (in this case I think they did).

Password_Is_Taco
Jun 6, 2013

Lid posted:

Let's leave a teenager's legal decisions and ultimate fate in her own hands, why not?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure that free speech is relevant to harassment or abuse

If she knew what she was doing, then i think the charges are valid

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shouldn't this basically be an extension of the "fighting words" exception of the first amendment? If you go up to a crowd of black people and yell "Lynch these fools!" you're not covered by the first amendment, wouldn't this be a similar sort of situation?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I wonder what the ACLU thinks

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

incitement to imminent lawless action is also illegal as of brandenburg, op

there are a number of exceptions to free speech, it's not an absolute right

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Zas posted:

I wonder what the ACLU thinks

The story I heard indicated they were not happy about it.

ACLU of MA did issue a statement. full text:

quote:

Michelle Carter was convicted of involuntary manslaughter today in Taunton Juvenile Court, in connection with the suicide of Conrad Roy III.

Matthew Segal, legal director at the ACLU of Massachusetts, released the following statement:

Mr. Roy’s death is a terrible tragedy, but it is not a reason to stretch the boundaries of our criminal laws or abandon the protections of our constitution.

There is no law in Massachusetts making it a crime to encourage someone, or even to persuade someone, to commit suicide. Yet Ms. Carter has now been convicted of manslaughter, based on the prosecution’s theory that, as a 17-year-old girl, she literally killed Mr. Roy with her words. This conviction exceeds the limits of our criminal laws and violates free speech protections guaranteed by the Massachusetts and U.S. Constitutions.

The implications of this conviction go far beyond the tragic circumstances of Mr. Roy’s death. If allowed to stand, Ms. Carter’s conviction could chill important and worthwhile end-of-life discussions between loved ones across the Commonwealth.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Polygynous posted:

so basically we should create a law saying that it is, in fact, murder to tell someone you have emotional control over who is in a very emotional state of mind to kill themselves repeatedly and with malice. would that solve the problem?

because it's clear to me that this woman is awful and that telling someone who is in a vulnerable state of mind to kill themselves is a violent action

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

DC Murderverse posted:

so basically we should create a law saying that it is, in fact, murder to tell someone you have emotional control over who is in a very emotional state of mind to kill themselves repeatedly and with malice. would that solve the problem?

because it's clear to me that this woman is awful and that telling someone who is in a vulnerable state of mind to kill themselves is a violent action

i mean doesn't it basically fall under brandenburg in a sense

(is suicide still illegal?)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Technically there's no difference between the first and second amendments. Words are weapons in the right hands.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

super sweet best pal posted:

Technically there's no difference between the first and second amendments. Words are weapons in the right hands.
WORDS THAT KILL

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Polygynous posted:

That seems like an over-reaction, the important distinction of this cases was the perpetrator encouraging the guy to kill himself, after he almost chickened out because of the fumes. In an end-of-life stuff for assisted suicide, you should never be encouraging people to go through with it, in any way, it has to 100% be their decision. It's just doesn't seem relevant.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Password_Is_Taco posted:

Let's leave a teenager's legal decisions and ultimate fate in her own hands, why not?

Adding this poster to my buddy list, I'm expecting big things in the realm of chicken-loving from this guy.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

rudatron posted:

WORDS THAT KILL

You never know if the person talking is the Muad'dib.

Password_Is_Taco
Jun 6, 2013

Starshark posted:

Adding this poster to my buddy list, I'm expecting big things in the realm of chicken-loving from this guy.

I can't tell whether you're a funny fascist or a not-funny fascist from the av and words you or someone else paid $10 for, but I can guaran-goddamn-tee you that I've not yet begun to gently caress chickens. Wait.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

rudatron posted:

WORDS THAT KILL

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

duz posted:

Wrong reference but still worth points.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Can't convict someone​for "Aggravated oval office-ing" (yet) but can convict her of something. Glad she's in jail from an emotional standpoint, but ACLU's right from a logical one i think.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

duz posted:

:goonsay: Actually you never know if the person you are speaking to is the Mahdi. Muad'dib was a species of desert mouse that Paul Atreides named himself after when he became a Fremen.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

She deserved to be found guilty and I'm very disappointed in the ACLU for what they said about this.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Password_Is_Taco posted:

I can't tell whether you're a funny fascist or a not-funny fascist from the av and words you or someone else paid $10 for, but I can guaran-goddamn-tee you that I've not yet begun to gently caress chickens. Wait.

Maybe if you'd read the av carefully you'd know I got it because I said bad things about our glorious troops, God save them all.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I don't really see how this is a free speech issue, but glad justice was done.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rudatron posted:

WORDS THAT KILL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U86aorxbBRY

EDIT:

duz posted:

drat you.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why can't something like this qualify as Conspiracy to Commit Murder or whatever the legal term would be? She actively persuaded someone to kill a person. She wanted person A dead and talked person B into killing them, that's a crime. Person A also being Person B wouldn't void that, I would think.

I think a crime was definitely committed here, and she is culpable for the man's death, but making it an issue of speech and expression is all wrong. Saying things that hurt other people's feelings or aggravate cultural frictions is not the same ballpark as willfully, maliciously seeking someone's death.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Why can't something like this qualify as Conspiracy to Commit Murder or whatever the legal term would be? She actively persuaded someone to kill a person. She wanted person A dead and talked person B into killing them, that's a crime. Person A also being Person B wouldn't void that, I would think.
Well, it would void it in that it would make it conspiracy to commit suicide, unless you also want to suggest that all suicide is a murder by person A of person A.

Rather than a free speech issue, this seems more like an issue of going "there isn't really a law against this, let's just charge her with something else" when the proper thing to do if you want this to be a crime would be to codify something that will cover it in future. The problem with codifying something is that it would have to choose which side to come down on in all the greyer areas - this one was pretty unambiguously lovely, but should it also be a problem if it's "inciting someone to commit suicide when they actually want to and aren't backing out"? Should proper, positive assisted suicide be covered? Should saying "kill yourself you jerk" one time to a stranger be covered, if they later kill themself? If they kill themself immediately after you said it? If you do the same thing this girl did but the person doesn't kill themself, should that case be a crime?

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

roomforthetuna posted:

Well, it would void it in that it would make it conspiracy to commit suicide, unless you also want to suggest that all suicide is a murder by person A of person A.

Rather than a free speech issue, this seems more like an issue of going "there isn't really a law against this, let's just charge her with something else" when the proper thing to do if you want this to be a crime would be to codify something that will cover it in future. The problem with codifying something is that it would have to choose which side to come down on in all the greyer areas - this one was pretty unambiguously lovely, but should it also be a problem if it's "inciting someone to commit suicide when they actually want to and aren't backing out"? Should proper, positive assisted suicide be covered? Should saying "kill yourself you jerk" one time to a stranger be covered, if they later kill themself? If they kill themself immediately after you said it? If you do the same thing this girl did but the person doesn't kill themself, should that case be a crime?

Seems like only have questions and not a lot of answers. Like saying it was "lovely" like that's grounds for prosecution. Why do you say it was lovely, instead of calling it what it is? Do we know what it is? Do we even know what to call it, besides lovely?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Seems like only have questions and not a lot of answers. Like saying it was "lovely" like that's grounds for prosecution. Why do you say it was lovely, instead of calling it what it is? Do we know what it is? Do we even know what to call it, besides lovely?
Well, that was my point, you seem to be agreeing.
The judge decided to call it "involuntary manslaughter" which seems like a pretty clear example of a thing that it really isn't.
What it is is "deliberately and maliciously persuading someone to commit suicide", and there's no crime for that. The concern is that if someone decides that that is a crime, whether by writing an appropriate law or by setting a precedent that this act is now going to be legally a subset of "involuntary manslaughter", whether that law would also cover "accidentally persuading someone to commit suicide" or "deliberately but benevolently persuading someone to commit suicide" or "attempted persuading someone to commit suicide".

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
My understanding - based on nothing other than a New York Times write up on the trial - was that part of Carter's conviction hinged on the fact that she was aware that Roy was dying in a truck but took no action to alert emergency services. I'm not a lawyer but I gather that it can, in at least some jurisdictions, be illegal to stand by and do nothing when you know another person is at serious risk of dying. I was under the impression that it was also her failure to alert anyone, rather than just her convincing him to return to the truck, that resulted in the conviction.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think telling a suicidal person that suicide is a great idea and that even when they're feeling better about themselves that they should go back to being suicidal goes beyond 'being a bitch'. that's my legal analysis.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

She's a terrible person and I'm glad she's going to jail.

100% this pretty much, poo poo on them and the people crying that a sociopath who egged a suicidal kid on to go through with it is going to jail.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Endorph posted:

i think telling a suicidal person that suicide is a great idea and that even when they're feeling better about themselves that they should go back to being suicidal goes beyond 'being a bitch'. that's my legal analysis.

Yeah, it's essentially exploiting someone's medical issues to kill them. It's like slipping dietary gluten in a celiac sufferer's coffee.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Oh, no, but what about the chilling effect on other people who wanted to urge depressives to kill themselves?! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
idk definitively where The Line of free speech vs. censorship is, but its definitely, 100% a few meters short of where this young lady went; encouraging a sad boy to kill himself over the course of months in a systematic effort. I lust for this precedent to be applied to 8chan and twitter. God bless.

• Locked thread