Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Why can't something like this qualify as Conspiracy to Commit Murder or whatever the legal term would be? She actively persuaded someone to kill a person. She wanted person A dead and talked person B into killing them, that's a crime. Person A also being Person B wouldn't void that, I would think.
Well, it would void it in that it would make it conspiracy to commit suicide, unless you also want to suggest that all suicide is a murder by person A of person A.

Rather than a free speech issue, this seems more like an issue of going "there isn't really a law against this, let's just charge her with something else" when the proper thing to do if you want this to be a crime would be to codify something that will cover it in future. The problem with codifying something is that it would have to choose which side to come down on in all the greyer areas - this one was pretty unambiguously lovely, but should it also be a problem if it's "inciting someone to commit suicide when they actually want to and aren't backing out"? Should proper, positive assisted suicide be covered? Should saying "kill yourself you jerk" one time to a stranger be covered, if they later kill themself? If they kill themself immediately after you said it? If you do the same thing this girl did but the person doesn't kill themself, should that case be a crime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Seems like only have questions and not a lot of answers. Like saying it was "lovely" like that's grounds for prosecution. Why do you say it was lovely, instead of calling it what it is? Do we know what it is? Do we even know what to call it, besides lovely?
Well, that was my point, you seem to be agreeing.
The judge decided to call it "involuntary manslaughter" which seems like a pretty clear example of a thing that it really isn't.
What it is is "deliberately and maliciously persuading someone to commit suicide", and there's no crime for that. The concern is that if someone decides that that is a crime, whether by writing an appropriate law or by setting a precedent that this act is now going to be legally a subset of "involuntary manslaughter", whether that law would also cover "accidentally persuading someone to commit suicide" or "deliberately but benevolently persuading someone to commit suicide" or "attempted persuading someone to commit suicide".

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

archangelwar posted:

Except the judgement does not reside on simple presentation of texts, but establishes motive and proximity to the outcome by establishing premeditation and willful conspiracy all the way through to actions taken at the time of death that were intentful and with foreseeable consequence. The judge's verdict is more nuanced than your reductive presentation and thus no reason to accept fears of a slippery slope. The fact that it was suicide is only a matter of circumstance as the chosen method of enacting a premeditated predatory campaign of psychological abuse coupled with deliberate actions in proximity to the event with desire to achieve the foreseeable result of death with intent to derive personal gain.
As I said, I'm totally in agreement with the idea that what she did should be criminal. And the thing you describe is a totally fine description both of what she did and of a thing that should be a crime. But (and correct me if I'm wrong) it doesn't seem like it matches a description of "involuntary manslaughter".

My understanding is that that was the selected crime because she knew he was killing himself and didn't call for help, which can be treated as "criminal negligence" leading to his death, and such negligence puts it in the involuntary manslaughter bucket, so this law technically does apply, but it's gross because it's really only covering the much less ethically wrong part of her actions (the inaction!), and could almost equally legitimately apply to any members of his family who knew he was suicidal and didn't get him sectioned, for example.

Bending that law to make it apply here both makes relatively innocent people into criminals, and doesn't really set a good precedent of criminalizing the girl's actions - had she not been communicating with him during the suicide the loophole the judge used to get a conviction wouldn't apply.

Not that the judge had a lot of choice, because there isn't (at least not as far as I know) a law that covers the more horrible aspects of her actions. Getting such a law on the books seems like something that should be pursued in case of future similar cases.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

OddObserver posted:

And fun bit from this discussion, for the "must have an explicit law!" crowd.
That seems reasonable, and (despite my earlier remarks) I generally appreciate the idea of not codifying laws and instead doing something more like "it's a crime if everyone agrees it's a crime", though it would typically be nicer to have a jury involved if you're going to use that method.

But at that point, and given the quote, it seems weird to have called it involuntary manslaughter. Other than based on the fact that a jury did that in another similar case, which just makes it "now both cases are weird, that was a bad precedent". Unless the previous time it actually was unintentional, like if the guy's defense was "I didn't mean for her to actually do it", which doesn't seem to have been plausible for this recent case.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Yes. Do you think it's literally impossible for a non-SO to convince somebody to do something. Because that would be pretty difficult to demonstrate and thus be a really dumb position to have.
I think you're black-and-whiting it too much here. That they were dating is material because it's evidence that she was in a position to be a strong influence on his decisions. This doesn't imply that there couldn't be different evidence for that if they weren't dating, and it's not very usefully material in this particular case because there's much more tangible evidence that overwhelms its relevance, but that doesn't mean it's not relevant at all.

• Locked thread