Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
friendship ended with old trump thread

new trump thread is my friend now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
in a civil war, the rich would kill all the people on the left and right uppity enough to ask for change

only a unified front of the proletariat can hope to succeed

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Bert Roberge posted:

Would anyone here feel comfortable with Baloogan around their children?

No, but that's because he's drunk.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Montasque posted:

Literally Voldemort.

it's actually a pretty decent column

quote:

Which makes the thrill of becoming a magical initiate in the Potterverse remarkably similar to the thrill of being chosen by the modern meritocracy, plucked from the ordinary ranks of life and ushered into gothic halls and exclusive classrooms, where you will be sorted — though not by a magic hat, admittedly — according to your talents and your just deserts.

I am stealing this magic-and-meritocracy parallel from the pseudonymous blogger Spotted Toad, who wrote a fine post discussing how much the Potter novels and movies trade upon the powerful loyalty that their readers feel, or feel that they should feel, toward their teachers and their schools. But not just any school — not some suburban John Hughes-style high school or generic Podunk U. No, it’s loyalty to a selective school, with an antique pedigree but a modern claim to excellence, an exclusive admissions process but a pleasingly multicultural student body. A school where everybody knows that they belong, because they can do the necessary magic and ordinary Muggles can’t.

Thus the Potterverse, as Toad writes, is about “the legitimacy of authority that comes from schools” — Ivy League schools, elite schools, U.S. News & World Report top 100 schools. And because “contemporary liberalism is the ideology of imperial academia, funneled through media and nonprofits and governmental agencies but responsible ultimately only to itself,” a story about a wizarding academy is the perfect fantasy story for the liberal meritocracy to tell about itself.

Especially because (unlike reality) it writes the Muggles, the genuinely ordinary people, out of its political clashes and good-versus-evil conflicts. In the Potter novels the selective school is conterminous with wizarding society as a whole (allowing for some elves and goblins to do maintenance and keep the books), and thus the threats to that world’s liberal integrity all come from within the academy’s walls, from Slytherin House and its arrogant aristocrats, who must be constantly confronted in the halls and classrooms of the beloved school itself. Voldemort, the dark lord, has Muggle blood, but he isn’t trying to rally an army of non-magic-wielders to seize Hogwarts’ towers; he’s trying to remake meritocratic — er, magical — institutions in his own dark image. And so the battle for Harvard — er, Hogwarts — is the battle for the world.

Which is basically the premise of a great deal of youthful liberal activism these days — that once the last remnants of Slytherin are eradicated from the leafy quads of Yale or Middlebury, once Draco Malfoy’s frat or final club is closed and the last Death-Eater sympathizers purged from the faculty, then the battle of ideas will have been finally and fully won.

But even if it were, beyond the walls of the imperial academy all of our world’s Muggles would still remain, with an agency and a power that they don’t have in the Potterverse.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Montasque posted:

I get the point, but maybe I'm too young to remember this, but in the 1990s did The New York Times have Star Wars/politics themed hot takes?

Kinda redundant with Reagan nicknaming the SDI "Star Wars."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
harry potter is not nearly as ridiculous as the trump presidency

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
Tbf, she wrote it on welfare and cocaine iirc

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

i'm worried that i might succumb to their powerful g-rays :ohdear:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

trump has the whole world hitting the hard stuff

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Lastgirl posted:

Is This Infinity?

view from the death star reactor core moments before the torpedo hit

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Mariana Horchata posted:

needs to be animated tho for best results.

in the year 20xx

trump was beginning

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Hey so our baby can only live when hooked up to several machines and experiences only pain because it's locked in a constant seizure. We gotta keep that tyke alive as long as possible, it's pain sustains us

Those Who Are Pumped About Being in Omelas

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

automation has finally come for the shitposters

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

the flash is weird because he's the only superhero whose powers are fundamentally underestimated in terms of raw strength

like writers not getting physics is one thing, but speed and mass are fundamentally identical, you don't run across an entire city faster than the eye can see to deliver a big-ish punch; if you do that the fight is over and if the other guy doesn't have superpowers his head looks like it was just hit buy a shotgun shell the size of your first (because that is literally what happened)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Guy Goodbody posted:

The point of that episode was the bad guy could turn himself into metal, so the only way the Flash could punch him hard enough to actually hurt him was if he was travelling at above the speed of sound

You're right about the Flash being underestimated by writers in general, but in that specific case it's the opposite of your complaint

That makes sense then.

The gif still looks funny if you don't know the context.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

consumed by normies posted:

first they came for the meme makers

Nichael posted:

Everyone is dril

that's not how that poem goes!!?!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Wow, Lynch literally worked an Orb meme into Twin Peaks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id75c8HGAxw

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

whoa whoa whoa

it was 2.5 billion dollars lol

based on how much my son has loved minecraft videos since he was like 3, that may be the only billion dollar buyout in recent memory which might actually pay out

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Turdfuzz posted:

powerball will never have a bf to try to keep

it's more likely than donny ever feeling truly loved

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Turdfuzz posted:

i hear hitler is single

poor hitler's ball will never have a co-testicle

i've been assuming that powerball is actually a dude; pretty sexist of me i know

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

GrimGypsy posted:

man of steel was funny b/c it ends with superman, after leveling an entire city, petulantly smashing a drone because how DARE anyone think to maybe keep track of this alien demigod

i love being under surveillance, why doesn't superman? :(

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

zegermans posted:

My favorite thing about the French primary was not 1 hour after the results came in people in the Suck Zone were complaining about how Melenchon (who didn't even come in 3rd) only lost because of backstabbing

says living suck zone leak "zegermans"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Kurtofan posted:

why minions

appeals to 3 year olds

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Yinlock posted:

3rd time ive seen this exact post from you

i can't believe i'm so excited for... wait, wrong thread

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

GrimGypsy posted:

lol when did pewdiepie transition from making lovely letsplays for 8 year olds into conservative thinkleader?

There's not really much difference in the first place

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
time loses its meaning in a black hole, we are over the event horizon

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

jBrereton posted:

I for one cannot wait for Trump the elder statement turning up to sort out israel or similar

he'll show up with serious dementia and keep talking about evicting everyone

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
i got woken up by my landlord's son saying that something big just happened in NY on 9/11, then was relieved it wasn't a nuke because i had read an article on salon about how terrorists could easily nuke new york a few months before

that little bit of irony was a good prelude to the next decade

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Nichael posted:

it's a massive failure of democratic messaging that something as simple as "Netflix will be more expensive because of loving Donny and the GOP" isn't communicated

i'm not sure if it counts as a failure if your donors are the same people pushing the gop to kill net neutrality and somehow you fail to effectively oppose it

well not a failure of communication anyhow; democracy or serving the public interest sure

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

"wait, i'm not supposed to eat this one... right?"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Squizzle posted:

all of the finer arts forums should be fyad lites like cspam

theyd be a million times better

trump thrad is basically a tv show thread except instead of a reality tv show it's following the actual president

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
tis is the best arg ever when does the trump movie come out

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

PostNouveau posted:

60-meter asteroid doesn't sound all that big.

it wouldn't end civilization, but it would be a randomly placed nuke large enough to vaporize a major city

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Citizen Tayne posted:

What class would tank Donald J. Trump?

????

Death Knight is certain.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

soylent isn't blood

it's just made from it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Could the Dem policy of making deals with whatever devils they can only to lose elections over and over again be in question finally?

we are explorers at the outer limits of campaign finance... angels to some, demons to others

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
tbh saying that a cspam poster goes to block parties all the time might just be the nicest thing ever said about a goon

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Rah! posted:

lol there are people who think the "alt-left" is a thing and that it's racists

they want to believe

so so badly

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

peeonwe posted:

i dated a union organizer she made 40k and they gave her a car and she got six weeks of paid vacation a year and a free unlimited everytthing phone and awesome insurance

she didnt do poo poo

i'm old enough to remember when that would be considered poo poo pay with standard benefits

except the phone i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
seriously it's insane that 40k/y is considered 'good' now, that was 'you have to love the job' territory when i got out of highschool

• Locked thread