Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

From the trucking perspective and as someone who was raised on the road and grew to work in it-

You've gotta be patient. Some crews are better than others, but there are plenty of powertripping motherfuckers who will do what they can to make your life hell for months at a time. a good tour manager and production manager can go a long way toward making a tour worth it or completely miserable.

Stay on excellent terms with the tour accountant. Trust me on this.

Actually, anyone on the tour can suddenly make a crew go sour. You'll be with the same people for months on end, and being trapped on a bus with some people can be legitimately nightmarish (thank goodness I always had my own cab to stay in!).

Going on tour with English acts with mostly English crews means poo poo catering and weight loss. Otherwise, it's pretty dope to have catering that tours along because you can build relationships with the caterers which means occasionally getting spoiled. Either way, take your drat vitamins. Getting sick kinda isn't an option.

Gaffer's tape and a flashlight will save your rear end so many times.

You can't depend on local runners to have the slightest clue how to even go on a drat coffee run. Try to make friends in each city you go to; a lot of local stagehands have been in the business for years on end and are a goldmine of information and delicious gossip.
They'll also be able to tell you what kinds of fun stuff to do in whatever city you're in; often stagehands get everything with setup done by 2-3 and don't have to get back to work til 8 or so. Use that time to get your exploration on!

With larger acts, a lot of crew members have been around for quite some time and know each other pretty drat well. Do what you can to demonstrate one hell of a work ethic, learn something new every day, and you'll be able to build a career in this ridiculous, hilarious, wonderful, and often garbage industry.

I wouldn't trade this insanity for the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread