Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Someone probably put in an order for a certain amount of hashing power at 20% higher than the market rate for some reason. Probably laundering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm tempted to collect all the bad ideas from this thread and put them in the OP as a sort of hall of shame

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Who manages your network? You should ask them.

At the very least you should ask the question in some other threads, since this thread doesn't really have the kind of experts you're looking for. This other thread may be a good place to start:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723832

Actually network engineering is my field and my title *does* have Expert in it, so...

Don't let your dipshit in a suit run loving cryptocurrency miners on the same network your customer and financial data goes through you nitwit. Tell him about the security ramifications, offer to put it in a separate VLAN that can route to the internet but not the corporate network, and if all else fails, polish up the resume, get paper copies of your recommendations as acknowledged by the boss, and enjoy your eventual twenty minutes at the witness stand.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I am also an expert but after thinking about it, I disagree. I think you should definitely mine cryptocurrency at work. Also buy some bitcoins. As you can see it’s a more logical argument, so go for it

Actually you know what thinking about it yeah gently caress it this thread needs more schadenfreude content.

Offer to go halfsies with the boss.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Winminer folks, what are you all set up for mining? It's autoselected ZEN on a 1080 Ti, wondering if there's something better.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah I'm just going to let it run and do its thing. Thinking of maybe tossing my old R9 290 in a board from goodwill with a spare EVGA PSU I have lying around, setting the fans to low speed, and using that to heat my apartment with burritos. Dunno if a GPU that old will even hit the break-even point though.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Winminer returns are bad enough last night that I turned it off yet again. I expected a lot more given that my card is so flippable right now.

Doing six Canadian bucks a day on a 1080 Ti. So, yeah, not great returns.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, we can't do Coinbase here. QuadrigaCX is our only option for exchanging.

I don't know if we can do a bunch of cryptocurrency flipping within exchanges to finally get it to QuadrigaCX and out to a Canadian bank account with some degree of sanity and without retarded transaction fees.

Gonna run WinMiner overnight and while I'm at work and see what that does for me other than making my apartment not freezing cold when I get home. Not gonna complain if heating my apartment also drops twenty bucks in my PayPal account every few days.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 12, 2018

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Winminer ZEN down to $4.60/day on a 1080 Ti.

God I hope the end of this poo poo is near. GPU prices are getting loving ridiculous.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Cryptocurrency Mining Thread: we're all hoping for cryptocurrency mining to die

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

We're representing supercomputing, eh :canada:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

Probably dwave

You know, I went to college just down the street from them and my company has an office nearby but I don't think any of the people I went to college with or work with have ever seen anything notable come out of those guys.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rexxed posted:

So burstcoin is the one where you fill your hard drives with nonces and siacoin is the one where nonces fill your hard drives. Got it.

:five:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

gently caress, really? Seems like I'd never get it out at this rate. They say they pay out balance over 0.01 at "irregular schedule" whatever the gently caress that is, and even that would take me like a month with no guarantee of an actual payout.

Welcome to cryptocurrency mining. It's a negative sum game.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ohgodwhat posted:

It apparently isn't extremely obvious because I have no idea what you're trying to show with that chart

At first glance I'm assuming it's the significant periods where there's literally no movement in price on what is likely the world's most unstable and popular financial speculation tool. Seven minutes of the price being flat might be nothing for, say, Jim-Bob Fuckstick's tenth of a cent quarter-million-market-cap stock, but for something that almost always fluctuates by literal hundreds of dollars per second? Something's fucky here.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BTC's down 15% in 24 hours and is still trending downwards. If you've got any, get rid of that poo poo. If you want to sell off any GPUs, do it right the gently caress now.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

1gnoirents posted:

Thats fine, thats the risk for getting money out of nowhere. Plus Ive already withdrawn my initial investment at this point (I dont get why this isnt common tbh) so "I cant lose"*. To start I put $500 real monies in at the first major dip to ~$11k, kept trading at 1-5% profits then cutting that profit out until I had $250 in the bank, then started leaving the profit in for more money and moved the remaining $250 out once I hit $1000, and now im back up to ~$900 for a total of $1400, though only the initial $500 is truly safe. I took 1-2% losses about a quarter of the time to adjust to the market crashing, and usually id just move from BTC -> ETH or back. And for my own sake to judge how well I'm really doing, I've kept all mining money separate so nothing touches and clouds me.

If I'm able to make money off a dying market, as an idiot, you can too. Unless you cant bear to sell at a small loss, which I understand. Today marks the first time I got a real windfall though. I should have started before when things were way better.

*cringes*

jesus h gently caress

I don't know how to respond to this and I'm the OP of this idiot hellfucker thread.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

1gnoirents posted:

Oh no I feel like if I go there I lose a part of my soul though

You're already lost. Dead and gone. Go reclaim your soul from the tether so that you can enter Bithalla.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That reminds me, we're coming up on 4000 posts in this thread.

What hath God wrought?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Has it touched six thousand yet?

Also yesterday I had some butter arguing at me that monero is good because it enables deathly oppressed minorities in the far east to organize somehow and that if I'm anti-cryptocurrency I'm racist???

These people are utterly daft.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

For once, someone besides me gets to be the cautionary tale.

His descent into "no 1gnoirents, you are the demons" has been some :magical:-grade fascinating.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's great because we shall finally be done with this horror show.

Libera tutemet ex infernis.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I mean none of us are mining anymore. This should really be the Slightly More Effort Than Shitposting Cryptocurrency Bubble Thread.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Forwarding RDP out to the 'net is a great way to get a whole bunch of Chinese botnets hammering your PC.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

i've been RDPing into my home computer from work over the default port for the past 3 years. No chinese botnets yet.

I can guarantee you they've been hitting it. They might not have gotten in but if you turn on credential audit logging (Group policy editor, Computer Configuration/Policies/WindowsSettings/Security Settings/Advanced Audit Policy Configuration/Account Logon/Audit Credential Validation, enable logging failures) and watch the Security section of Event Viewer over the course of a day you'll see some crazy poo poo.

At least lock that poo poo down to your office's IP address.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, the cases some of these things are slapped in are basically Jim-Bob-Bought-A-Sheet-Metal-Folder quality. And then you get to buy and wire up a $500 1.5 kW ATX power supply to them and just leave it on the bench next to it because they don't come with a PSU or somewhere to mount one.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah none of this is really worth it in any way anymore. Too volatile and the number of scams grows daily.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

GPU-Z will tell you.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Baikal has a cryptonight ASIC out. Efficiency works out to 9.73x as efficient as Vega 56.

Isn't there also an Ethereum ASIC on the way too? Between Ethereum and Cryptonight that's like 90-ish percent of the GPUs in the global hash pool.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

1gnoirents posted:

Wuh oh

so we're starting our own buttcoin right

This is not the first time the thread has contemplated a GoonCoin pump and dump ICO

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

tehinternet posted:

I’m half asleep, so I want to double check with the thread that I’m not missing something obvious.

Just moved 6 1070s (3 EVGA SC2 and 3 EVGA FTW) and 2 1080 tis (one EVGA SC and one MSI Armor) over to a Biostar TB250-BTC+ motherboard; all GPUs detect in Windows10 and in NiceHash, however only the 1070s or only the 1080tis will mine at any given moment or NiceHash will cycle through connecting to whatever algorithm over and over with no result.

Any ideas?

Sell all but one of your video cards on eBay.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Palladium posted:

"We currently only support Ubuntu 16.04 as a host's OS."

Ugh

This seems like a poor choice of host OS given the state of consumer Nvidia drivers on Linux. Holy moly is Nouveau ever a dumpster fire. And the proprietary ones are worse.

Linux is the one platform where AMD drivers are objectively better in every way than Nvidia drivers.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Well that's magical. And entirely unsurprising given Nvidia's tendency to find interesting new ways to enforce market segmentation and HPC.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It genuinely surprises me that Nvidia put any sort of effort into their Linux drivers after Torvalds publicly told them to gently caress themselves. That's all.

My mistake for assuming that Big Huge Market Dominator would have just said "gently caress you too buddy, have fun extracting signed firmware blobs to get your cards to boot" and continued to devise new and impressive ways to convince people to buy Quadro cards for ten times the price of an equivalent GeForce card.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Poettering has the right idea just the wrong execution. I think that if his goal is to modernize Linux and make it into a real modern operating system, he's going about it wrong simply because he's trying to do it within the view of the greater Free Software community, a disjointed group of groups primarily composed of people who are more interested in pretending that it's the Good Ol Days where CPU time was billed by the minute and :females: weren't involved in computer science than they are about actually creating a modern free operating system.

Spicy hot take: Linux is hampered by the Free Software movement and it would have been better off without GNU. It might not have gone as far as it has, but at least it'd be something with a coherent mission statement that's worth using it for.

Spicier, hotter take: Don't engage Paul's obsessive anti-AMD baiting in any thread.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm wondering if we should just remove all the mining gunk from the thread title and OP and leave this as the technical-aspects-of-the-cryptocurrency-horrorshow thread. I don't want to just go ahead and do it but I'm not maintaining the OP for any purposes of mining or recommending mining at all anymore, so I'll leave it up to the thread regulars to decide.

If so I'm open to suggestions for thread subtitles.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

Well, I'm vaccinated. So bring on the tacos!

Please post your trip report about Hepatitis Q

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Why the gently caress would anyone ever consider getting into this poo poo in 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bitcoin delenda est.

• Locked thread