Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

MaxxBot posted:

My friend called me yesterday about building $10k in mining rigs and I gave every disclaimer I could but I think he's still gonna do it :lol:

Wish he lived close to me I'd actually enjoy setting that up.

Yeah, it's basically gambling, but if you go back three months in the thread the bubble was supposed to pop then. At least he'll have assets he can sell at a smaller loss than he would have if he just invested 10k in the buttcoins.

As long as he can afford the loss, go hog wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

8 cents mined on my 1070, I decided to do it.

My 1070 with memory at +600mHz was pulling $2.30-2.60 daily when I left for work this morning. It's worth it when you only have to leave the computer running.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Yeah p much this, no idea what logic a person paying for hashing power is using. Everybody can’t make money on the deal, either the miner, NiceHash or the buyer has to lose out barring BTC continuing TO THE MOON

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

So to clarify: you can use Coinbase to store coins and cash them out with Gyft without having to send Coinbase a bunch of info?

I don’t have any valid photo ID (I’ve never learned to drive cars and my passport expired last month), so just asking for the short term.

Just cashed out $500 easy. Gyft makes it really, really easy. Literally just copy the BTC address they give you, copy the BTC amount and send it. Got my code in like two minutes.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Peachfart posted:

lol, you actually bought cards for mining Bitcoin.

I was buying a GPU anyways back in July and it’s paid itself off and made me a hundred bucks beyond that.

If homeslice wants to gamble, let him gamble. This poo poo is going even higher now that regular people are hearing about it.

It’s gonna crash, no doubt, but that’s not gonna be short term. Or maybe it will. Who knows?! TO THE MOON

E: yeah, I work for a living and this bought my kids a Nintendo Switch and accessories. Wish I would have stopped subscribing to the goon hive mind on this a while ago.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

is it for mining grovercoin?

Load bearing plywood just doesn’t have the same ring man

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Burrito as you go is the way to play. Never hold.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

What's a decent wallet for various alt-coin?

None of them. Any of them can and will be hacked. Don’t keep more than you’re willing to lose.

That being said, Coinbase is good. It will be hacked one day, but it’s good now.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

What is holding the GPUs to the wall, I can't tell from the picture.

He probably has them screwed into drywall anchors or concrete anchors, whatever the wall is made of. Seems like a clever way to get good airflow and efficiently use space. It also soothes my OCD.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I’ve been mining vertcoin for a couple days but haven’t gotten near the $3.00 daily that what to mine says I should be getting.

Are there better pools or better programs beyond the one-click miner VC uses?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Alzion posted:

One-Click-Miner's P2P pools can be pretty spotty. Fortunately OCM can also use normal pools.

I use the Easymine pool. To set it up click the add pool in lower right and put in:
stratum+tcp://lyra2.easymine.online:5000
for the pool address, put in x for the password, and add in your wallet address like normal. Also OCM has a 1% donation rate to its creaters set by default so make sure you set that to 0 in settings menu.

That’s super helpful, thanks!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

What would you say is a reasonable fee to build an 8 card GTX1070 mining rig for someone? I’d build and install the requisite software for whatever coin he wants. I see that people are selling them for $5800 which seems excessive, but I’m not sure. I don’t have a point of reference.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Is the guy willing to pay you $5800? Charge him $5800.

It would still be a better deal than the online stuff since I’d be installing the software as well.

I’m doing a capitalism?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

this is the biggest, baddest double dip exit scam i have ever seen and i am loving every second of it.

Same

Wonder how much they “gained”

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, 80% is what my friends are managing to sell cards that don't mine well or have fan issues for right now while the music is still going.

P.S. don't buy any used GPUs in the next couple years. At all.

GTX1070s are going at nearly full price on EBay. It’s insane. It’s all insane.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Eh, I get paid quickly enough that I don’t really give a poo poo who’s fake money goes missing. My 1070 has paid for itself nearly twice over at this point and NiceHash switching to the most profitable coin to mine at any given time makes me more money and saves me effort.

Yeah, it’s a scam. But it makes me money and I sell and run ASAP. I think their hack cost me twenty bucks or so.

My risk is minimal, personally.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Risky Bisquick posted:

How are your dailies looking? Mine are about 30% less, but still wildly profitable (roughly $3 per card).

With a 1070 I’m making 3.00-3.50 a day. Easy game easy life

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Gooncoin ICO.

Only if it’s icon is the most disgusting neckbeard you can imagine as the icon and not the hand grenade

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Bad news, there is already a fedoracoin (symbol: TIPS)

I unironically laughed at the symbol

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Buckle up, motherfuckers.

I might actually put honest to god real American dollars into this poo poo if it crashes. Seven years and nothing has killed this dumb poo poo off yet

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I’ve got 3 1070s now; NiceHash is showing $12.94 daily. Long as they don’t get hacked more than every 12 days (about how long it will take to hit 0.01BTC to get a payout) I’ll be good.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

cstine posted:

Also, anyone running back to Nicehash should read their payment schedule veeeery carefully: they're only paying out to external wallets at 0.1 BTC right now: https://www.nicehash.com/help/when-and-how-do-you-get-paid

In true bitcoin fashion, this is of course buried at the bottom and was 100% not mentioned at all anywhere in their re-launch messaging, because lol at setting the minimum payout to like $1500 (or $1200 or $1600 or...)

That’s per day; it’s still 0.01BTC for weekly payouts.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Making $10-14 per day with NiceHash (3x EVGA 1070 FTW); the first card more than paid itself off; I’ll be at break even in three to four months. Not bad.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Have you noticed you can’t withdraw the virtual money you’ve mined

*shrug*

It’s basically bonus money, so if this doesn’t work out, I’ll swap over to mining an AltCoin directly.

E: worst case scenario, I build another PC for my kids, it’s not a big money risk we’re talking here

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 27, 2017

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

What are people doing that makes mining cards unstable? I've mined for years without inducing card death.

Idk, my 1070s stay at 70% TDP and I have another fan to circulate air; one card sits at about 65C, the others are 55-60C. I’m not gonna risk bricking a card over 2MH.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Do you not pay for electricity or something? If Nicehash winds up never paying you then you're basically just burning a bunch of power for their benefit

$0.075/kWh, 600W total draw including fans and system (I have it all hooked up to a Kill a watt strip). $1.08 a day is a loss I can eat if need be. Hardly the end of the world.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Cool would you mind paypaling me $30/month? I promise to pay you back with 50% interest at the end of next year, I'm good for it

Plz post ur email

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

I do have a stream at the back of my house, I guess if I ran my PC outside with extension cords, put it in a 5 gallon bucket, sealed the holes for the cables with caulk, filled the whole bucket with mineral oil, put a lid on it, and dropped it in the stream, I'd have some sweet permanent liquid cooling.

I like the cut of your gib

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

https://www.nicehash.com/news/227

We’ll see how this plays out. Sounds too convenient to be true.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Post got deleted, I just see a bunch of people telling the dude that he’s an idiot.

E: Christ. On margin? I get gambling, I get investing what you can lose, hell, I get cashing out an asset to invest (as dumb as that is, I can understand it).

Investing on margin though? gently caress. Such a loving awful idea.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 31, 2017

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the fact that coinbase was willing to cut any kind of a deal with nicehash makes me extremely worried about coinbase.

Same. As soon as my external wallet pays out, I’m gonna switch to their bullshit internal wallet and withdraw twice weekly. Then I’m gonna withdraw from Coinbase. If they don’t have my money, they can’t keep my money, right?

Side note: digging the ETH prices, my 1070s are making $4+ daily.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Three 1070s here, making between $3.50-5.00 (USD) a day per card depending on the day. Pretty goddamn rad, looking at paying off the last card in ~three more months.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

DrDork posted:

So like 37ish days for the 1080 and an additional 60ish days for the 1080Ti, assuming prices remain where they are (they won't).

I used to be like you. I underestimated the stupidity of Bitcoin.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

Which gpus are most likely to hold value when the big sell off happens? I feel like 570 580 and 1060 will be bad since there are just so many. 1080ti might take a larger hit if the new gen x70 is as good and 400.

I feel like the 1070 is most likely to hold the closest to msrp

Same. I’ve bought more expensive 1070s (EVGA FTWs) in the hope that they’ll hold their value a little more.

It could also work out that there will be so many 1070s that they end up being worth $200. Who knows?? BITCOIN!!!!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I just checked and 3 1070s were making $18.00+, sounds Iike a spike. Be pretty rad if it holds; at this rate I’ll be able to cash out in a few days then switch to their internal wallet so I can withdraw daily.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

1gnoirents posted:

Coinbase just made a 0.01 payout to me on my previous external address fyi to others

Same.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Yeah, I’m making ~$30 with six 1070s. I know, I’m rolling in the poop, but hey, with the money I’ve already made I’m only risking a couple grand. *shrug*

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

diapermeat posted:

With miningpoolhub I'm doing $10.48 currently with 1 x 1070 and 1 x 970. You should be a ton higher with 6 x 1070

Speaking in averages; it’s been $35 today.

E: I’ve also been @70% TDP and overclocking conservatively (+100core/+500mem), so I may be a little low. It’s still stupid.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Cinara posted:

Seriously just do Nicehash interal wallet into Coinbase, most of the time my 1080ti is doing over $10 USD a day, and rarely does it go under $9. With those rates you hit the minimum withdrawl(.001 or $13.50 at current BTC prices) every other day so you don't have to worry about losing much at all if there's another hack.

I swapped off Winminer as soon as I could as the rates on it were garbage compared to just about anything else.

What kind of 1080ti are you running? $10 USD seems way high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

So I took NeoScrypt off of the algorithms list on NiceHash because it was making a couple cards crash randomly (out of memory somehow). I’ve gotta get that fixed because that explains the discrepancy with what I’m seeing in the thread.

I mean $4 per card is cool, but it could be more.

• Locked thread