Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fauxtool posted:

does your bitcoin address change after a deposit? I noticed that my address on coinbase is different from the address on the computer I havent touched for a week at work. I know for a fact that my work and home pcs were using the same address at one point because I could check my stats on nicehash and it showed 2 workers. About the time I got my first deposit "check my stats online" on the nicehash miner would take me to a different address being mined into on my work pc compared to the home pc.

Its definitely the address I was paid at last week, but its not the same address that shows on my coinbase account. When i installed the dual mining fork I copy pasted the address from coinbase which is now somehow different from the one that I was paid at last week

The other thing I can think of is that maybe coinbase gives you a new address if you cash out completely?

I think its this, sounds like youre fine

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2276500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Risky Bisquick posted:

Let me be the voice of reason here. Years ago goons laughed off buttcoin as a moronic idea, perhaps the stupidest thing in the universe and said it would fail. Yet here we are. Do what you feel is right.

Its still a moronic idea that will fail, its just one you might be able to take advantage of. At the moment, you might be able to scrape a few bucks off of the stupidity of ultra nerds and the business needs of small time drug dealers and smugglers in SE Asia. That profitability likely wont last long... then again maybe it will! Somehow the cryptocurrency comedy show keeps rolling on, never doubt the stupidity in the world etc etc.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

tehinternet posted:

MINING AT $4.10 A DAY, IMMA MAKE TENS OF DOLLARS

THIS IS loving LIVING, BOYS

i live my life 3 tenths of a cent/minute at a time

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think my favorite part is I picked up a 1060 8 months ago for $205. I'm sure buying all these video cards at a $100+ premium late into their lives will work out great...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

PerrineClostermann posted:

Nah, just making a joke about crazies. I almost put Florida instead.

Yeah, i think that dude was in the North East somewhere (NY?) but I might be making that up.

I've made enough for buttcoins to buy me Hollow Knight and the ceremonial lunch after electricity costs, which is hilarious. I'm still like $2/day profitable, but I'm already losing interest. Considering the weird entertainment I got out of this whole bubble and cryptocurrency dumbasses, and that I spent literally zero dollars and like 10 minutes to get everything set up, I can say i thoroughly enjoyed this.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

You've spent more time furiously posting dumb things in this thread than it took me to setup a thing that made me some money while I was sleeping, that I already spent.

You really should take a look at your reasoning tbh.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

$3 in electricity in an area that gets 70%+ of its power from nuke+hydro+renewables is not my moral line in the sand when it comes to waste, personally. I feel much worse about driving to work every day (working on that).

The whole concept is wasteful and dumb, no doubt, but I don't really feel bad for taking advantage of some nerds+criminals pricing bubble to make a few bucks off my bidcard.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

his post history is incredibly painful to read. lots of posts about a lovely F2P mobile game, then 1 month ago he was talking about being a "new miner" who didnt know much about computer parts, and now hes talking about trying to get rid of 100s of videocards he bought and trying to build an AC'ed room inside of a warehouse he leased...

bitcoin really is a disease

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Does he think he's going to expand his operation into filling an entire 1500sqf warehouse with loving server racks?

i imagine this is more of an ikea furniture and motherboards sitting on the box they came in situation

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

1gnoirents posted:

I have run into another issue with my 1070 (which is the main card that runs 24/7) does not hold an OC of any kind, no matter how mild, after about a day. I dont know why this is, its not rebooting or crashing, Afterburner is still there and the profile is still up but I have to click "apply" again.

Yeah, i've seen the same thing. I think its the ether miner crashing the nvidia display driver occasionally, which kicks the clocks back to fail-safe. Doesnt seem to happen if nicehash is mining anything else.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i think if you factor in consumer stupidity, especially the type of stupid consumer interested in cryptocurrency, the mining cards make more sense. they will have a slightly better profit margin for the AIB partners (less overbuilt power delivery and cooling), and there are enough idiots out there that think they will mine better because they have the word mining in the name to make the limited startup costs of reusing an already designed PCB worthwhile.

Also, I would wager that the DVI output is so cryptominers can flip them to internet cafe/gaming dungeons in SE asia that mostly use older DVI monitors.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Eth up 27% today. Still down 7% this week, but jesus. Guess I'll keep this dumb thing running a few more days.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the walmart fans in the windows, the individual mouse plugged into each one, the lovely frames sitting on apartment grade carpet, the orange extension cords coming from every socket in the house to not pop the breakers, the daisy chained surge protectors

yeah, yeah this is my poo poo

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

. But there's no reason to use liquid metal instead of just some Gelid GC-Extreme or NT-H1, and some pretty big risks/downsides.

Yeah, especially considering you can get a 3-ish use tube of ceramic ArcticSilver 5 for $6, and a single serving of something like CoolLabs Liquid Pro is $25... and the CoolLabs stuff is conductive and only cools like 2-3 deg better than AS5, ehhhhhhh

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

For future reference, as of right now cheapest on the market:

1080 Ti is $699
1080 is $545
1070 is $485
1060 6Gig is $328
480/580 is $399

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

New or used? I don't even know anymore

New, just using PCPartPicker, which I know isnt 100% but its easy

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm tapping out on my 1060, got one last $30 payout. Gyft wasn't working so I used egifter and was easy peezy.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If you're trying to flip cards, or god forbid bought hardware for mining, you should be selling them as fast as possible right now.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

another cryptocurrency caper, $37m in ether jacked

http://gizmodo.com/37-million-in-ether-stolen-as-people-refuse-to-learn-t-1797075264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

this thread somehow took a turn for the dumber

• Locked thread