Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Are people hyped for Made in Abyss on the basis of the manga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ugh. They could at least base the narrative around being able to Google everything or something.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

He did the Planetes adaptation also so I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tag urself i'm the bottom left

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I thought that FLCL 2 trailer looked kinda boring.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Rangpur posted:

I don't think the first series would come off much better from a rapid-fire series of contextless 2-second clips. Part of what made the original work is the way it carried you along in its own rhythm. Hard to capture that in an ad. TBH I'm just glad they're still giving new animators a chance to completely cut loose.

Oh yeah?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tYLzFxoW2Y

I dunno man, I was hoping for something that establishes the new crew's action bonafides, and shows some ostentatious aesthetics. I know the new trailer is just a teaser but so far it just looks like Yet Another 7/10 Anime.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Is Made in Abyss going to have a complete ending or will it end with a But Our Fight Continues?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I would watch Blood Bowl: The Anime

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Hey guys?

Go watch Mahoujin Guru Guru. It's great and available to watch on Crunchyroll

Seconding this. This might be a dark horse for this season. Director did the Mad Max and the painting girl episodes of Flip Flappers. This series looks much simpler but it's a lot of fun. I'm getting some cucumber quest vibes.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 12, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

quote:

Running before The Ancient Magus' Bride is an exclusive first look at Children of Ether, Crunchyroll's first ever original. Created by LeSean Thomas (Cannon Busters), Children of Ether boasts an impressive staff, including character designer Hiroshi Shimizu (Michiko & Hatchin), storyboard director Shingo Natsume (One Punch Man), and animator Mitsuo Iso (Neon Genesis Evangelion).

Wow.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

hey guys check out my new thread, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3828813

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

"After quitting her job, Morioka Moriko became a NEET and got addicted to an online game. In that game, even a wilting woman in her thirties like her can become a young, handsome guy and Moriko's new adventure as Hayashi began."

I'm gonna watch this.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 2, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

A convenient tipjar like that would probably work for a few shows... but only like the top few super popular shows.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Not much jumps out to me. Ancient Magus's Bride, maybe? At least I'll still have Mahoujin Guru Guru.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Calling it now, drunk wife show is AotY

Plausible.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

perfect blue

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

So we stop talking about these horrible horrible things I just saw Your Name.

It was very pretty but my issues with Shinkai's storytelling are still present. Characters babbling exposition endlessly, over-reliance on a romance plot, lack of clear motivations, no real character development, the resolution being unearned, bullshit contrivances...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hocus Pocus posted:

Have you seen Koe no Katachi/Silent Voice(s?) yet? Not that they're similar movies or anything, just that it's this year's other big, pretty anime movie.

I enjoyed Your Name, but for all it's flaws Koe no Katachi has stayed with me much more.

Yep, I liked A Silent Voice a lot more.

Trying to find out how I can see In This Corner of the World.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Homura and Sickle posted:

i was real worried about your name after fuckin hating 5 cm per second but the movie really owned, imo

the resolution seemed earned to me? they did terrorisms to save the people of the town and then wandered around for half a decade searching for eachother and poo poo. the only thing that didnt really make sense to me was why mitsuha's friends so uncritically accepted her assessment of the comet impact (even before finding the evidence that this has happened before) but maybe they did b/c of her families history of magic freaky friday dreams. but w/e you also complained about a romance movie having a romance plot

still need to watch a silent voice

The problem is that that plan doesn't work. Instead the actual resolution is Mitsuha going to talk to her father, which cleared things up offscreen and set up an entirely separate evacuation plan based on faking a evacuation drill. That is what was reported on in the news. We've been given no reason or really an understanding how Mitsuha could manage to convince her dad, but this basically totally works because?? The other problem is that this doesn't tie into the romance plot at all. In the middle of all this stuff about the end of the town, after the comet has started splitting apart (!) Taki-in-Mitsuha has to take a detour to the shrine so that they can have a meetup, and then Mitsuha on foot has to run to her dad, and the film subverts the urgency of her quest with the entirely separate thing about them not remembering each other's names. Finally them two getting back together is left entirely a matter of chance as is them continuous failing to make connections for like twenty minutes because Shinkai does things like have them walk past each other without reacting. The plot just suddenly decides to throw them together when it had been just earlier almost perversely splitting them apart.

A better written movie would actually tie together these plots. Like, I dunno, maybe have the father be a bigger part of the show so that you can sell Mitsuha being able to convince her dad due to her reconsidering her earlier hatred of the town - you know, have the characters develop a little instead of stay absolutely static. Separate out the romance, so that for example them forgetting each other is clearly outlined as the 'price' of saving the village, that they don't realise they've paid until they save it. Make the reconcilliation earned by for example, making it the result of the stuff they did in the film instead of pure chance - for example, call back on the things they did in each other's bodies, like the stitching on that girl's dress, getting up close and personal with Tessie...

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 24, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Almost all the plot arcs go nowhere, the Mitsuha's father arc is just the most egregious one because it was set up so as to drive her entire characterization in the first half of the film.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Mitsuha's arc felt more centered around her relationship with the town in general and her desire to get out of it IMO; the thread with her father was more an important setup/backstory to establish why things with her grandmother and the family situation were the way they were.

Her desire to get out of it is not exactly very coherent. For example she's clearly closely attached to her grandmother vs her dad in that conflict, she is clearly angry at her dad, she has also memorised the history of the town (including the fire that happened) and enjoys doing the braiding work, but she also resents being seen doing the spit thing and wants to go to Tokyo to go to a cafe. At the start of the story, her father as mayor is directly identified with the town, we're first introduced to him when we hear about the mayoral elections (edit: this is also the first thing that disrupts her idyllic life, them shutting off the radio to not hear about her dad). So yeah, my overwhelming impression is that her wanting to get out is driven basically by her relationship with her dad - that seems a lot more credible than well, the alternative reasoning of wanting to go to cafes.

Whether you connect the two plotlines or not, neither really goes anywhere. We never see her changing or acting on her feelings towards the town, she never sorts out the reason for the rocky relationship between her, her grandmother and her dad. It's *Taki* whose paths relate most to either the town or Mitsuha's family's backstory. So her arc is basically, 'she prefers Tokyo, she enjoys her time bodyswapped there, then the town is destroyed so she has to go to Tokyo'. That's a terribly passive arc.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 24, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The only way she really addresses her feelings to do with the town is by eating out at the cafe a lot. Most of her actions while bodyswapped is trying to get with that coworker girl, which is another weird plotline that has nothing to do with her established motivation and then goes nowhere. She never even gets to break up with her, or to address the consequences of Taki breaking up with her.

stealth edit: Also I think they did a panty-shot right in the middle of the climactic sequence, like wtf

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 25, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The entire last segment is a parade of bullshit reasons for them to not meet up. Him deciding not to write down his name. Him deciding to not bother writing her name before he forgets. Him handing her back the braid. Him not keeping any notes from his entire research expedition or telling anyone about things. Him not speaking to Tessie and co when he recognised them. Him forgetting about the shrine after all. Them passing each other multiple times. You can't even explain it in terms of 'it all gets erased' when things like the drawings he did of Itomori *did* stick around, as did the writing he did on her hand.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I know, I love this title. :)

If you haven't played Undertale you should

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 25, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think he also forgot that he even had the whole body jumping experience, except for a vague feeling that something was off, so had no reason to really do a lot of investigating.

It seemed pretty drat arbitrary what they forgot, is my point. It's not like everything they did through the body swapping was erased, just whatever is necessary so Shinkai can have his bit of pointless drama. The drama even fails to be suspenseful because it's not like they were running out of chances to meet up or something, they are just *constantly* almost-running-into-each-other until the film gets bored of stretching it out.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 26, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

> REMEMBER SAMMY JENKINS

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

watch mahoujin guruguru

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Rangpur posted:

...yeah alright, that's fair.

I stand by the rest of it though.

edit:

Oh. Oh dear.

Is there some context I am missing?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I haven't heard of any of these, are they good?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Inception is really not inspired by Paprika.

Robotech might work but I have a suspicion they'll probably remove all the wierd elements. No more singing, the Earth probably won't get destroyed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Fall 2017: Violet Evergarden is next season

Well hopefully Ancient Magus' Bride is great, and I'll still have Mahoujin guruguru so it can't be that bad.

I also have irrational hopes for Netojuu no Susume.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 17, 2017

• Locked thread