Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/908057123753521152

https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/908057247200276481

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

hell yeah

https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/908071433955397633

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's Important

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

CR and Sakugablog were nice enough to post the entire badass fight scene from last week's Boruto so that it's easy to share

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/908091442458804224

also featured is a short cut from that week's super cool episode of 18if, which is definitely worth a look once it finishes and a list of which eps are worth watching emerges.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Paprika is probably what was meant there

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

I mean, I haven't seen any of them - or will I ever - but from previews and everything I've heard about them I wouldn't exactly call any of those failures direct adaptations either. Maaaaybe Death Note, but wasn't that a lovely Netflix made-for-tv one?

Death Note is way different than the source, though it does trade on the same name and premise/character names. also i dunno if i'd say a movie produced for Netflix is necessarily lovely or in the realm of made-for-tv/direct-to-video.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's two days left of Seven Seas announcements. If they got either Yokohama Kaidashi Kikko or Is This a Dumbbell? I'm gonna flip

well the latter is at least somewhat likely

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

inspired by is generous, he just copied scenes from it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

star blazers when

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they both suck, boo seven seas

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/908478064304185344

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

finally, a good license

https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/908815821912363008

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

I feel that Netflix (or at least outside Japan) needs to get their head out of their asses and get cracking with simulcasting already.

actually they don't, because it's a complete change to their production pipeline that would only serve a niche audience

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

astr0man posted:

The thing is that Netflix already does translation + simulcasting in certain markets. I live in korea and Netflix has the international rights to some American network tv programs and simulcasts them here with Korean subtitles.

in this case i'd assume the market overseas for certain american shows may warrant this method, whereas america (or netflix's share of america) doesn't​ do the same for anime. and to elaborate on a point already mentioned, dubbing anime widens its reach considerably over just subbing it. and while simuldubbing exists, that would be another big production shift for what would probably end up a shoddier product.

e: i also wonder how much autonomy various regions of netflix have. like is this a case where netflix asia is investing these resources on their own and us netflix is on a different page entirely?

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 17, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

1/4 of the upcoming shows are sequels

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Knorth posted:

...I'm not sure how that's relevant, or if that's a lot or a little tbh

13 sequels out of 44 total, and it was in response to grouchio only recognizing three shows

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nielsm posted:

Did anyone stick with 18if? Did it ever develop any overarching story properly and did any episodes get really interesting?

this week finally set up the overarching​ plot that will resolve in the next two episodes. i'm looking forward to seeing how that turns out with two different directors at the helm, but i doubt it does anything to surpass the better standalone episodes.

7 is the stand out episode of the entire series. it has a drastically different art style and a good amount of symbolic meat to unpack if you wish. 10 follows it as another great episode visually, and it sets up some for the overarching plot. 3 is rote storywise but very accomplished visually, so i really enjoyed it. 9 is absolutely bonkers and worth watching just to experience. 2 is a serviceable horror thing, i think this and episode 3 convinced people to stay on and see where the show went. if you're dying to see some of the show's lows, episode 5 is uniquely awful in the message it expresses and how much it shits on the character involved.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i guess you could say it's jarring but that just sounds like the author wants to explore their world, which contains more than just cute things

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Sounds like some places have people with taste

yeah, bad taste

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i wanted to find that chapter because it still feels like a bad example (the first two pages are in line, the third looks like an end of chapter card) but from skimming it seems like the snakes bring in some serious stuff when they're given focus. admittedly that was like 50/60 chapters in, so i think I'm not going to understand unless i bother to read the whole thing. :shrug:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's Mike Toole, the only good writer there, so no it's probably just bad. but you may derive enjoyment from it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is probably my favorite anime and the second anime I ever watched and sought out on my own and I'm def excited and thankful for this new anime, but yeah the designs are a bummer.

Kircheis is definitely my biggest issue too. He wasn't like, typical bishonen, but still attractive in his dorky, nice way in the OVA but he kinda looks like a complete prick in the anime

vs

How is Reinhard supposed to idly play with Kircheis' hair like he does in the OVA if it this greasy mop?? I wonder if it's just Kircheis or if they're just excising all curly or voluminous hair. Like I wanna see Dusty and Julian now. I feel confident Ruental and Mittermeyer will look fine

and yeah long hair'd Reinhard is the hottest anime man and def got me on the Huh, Looking Feminine Is Way Cooler, I Wanna Look Like That tip

the old kircheis looks like he's an off model version of someone else

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You should watch the old series. It ain't in the top 10 on MAL for no reason.

the reason being it's a meme anime for normies, so ymmv on that being a good enough one

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i will never not minimize logh's status but fwiw i'm sure it's worth seeing if you're into that kind of thing

and it's probably fine to start with the new series and go back

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Grouchio posted:

MAL should never be a main indicator of what to watch for those of patrician taste.

it's fine if you like to sift through the low rated stuff for things that are good but unappreciated

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so he seems really gay?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean without the veneer of irony or whatever, it's incredibly visually flawed and you can tell it's trying to be a satire but it has no real bite. despite those things, the jokes still land and the voice acting runs the gamut from entertaining bad to great (jason schwartzman). neo yokio is also a surprisingly interesting setting.

i enjoyed watching it and would give a second season the time of day.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Moltrey posted:

how did i not make the connection that that was jason schwartzman jesus

the art honestly doesn't bother me at all, I have no idea why so like, aside from that there's really not much I much dislike about this show other then it's thin and kinda all over the place.

The setting itself kinda fits into the weird reference stuff that I like, this show calls someone an "herb", references a "chop cheese" in an insult and says things like "Coco Chanel, may her memory be blessed." It's this weirdly specific and modern thing that also seems to be reflected in the people in it, with Jaden Smith, Desus Nice and The Kid Mero playing the central male characters, rather than just typical Reference Humor

i'd check a second season yeah, but i also get why people just wanna dunk on it

the biggest mark against the visuals, and why i just can't defend them, is that the characters do not emote relative to what they are saying at all. so you have stuff like kaz's lovely cousin giving a rant while he smiles and it's really jarring to me. i think the actual designs of the characters are fine barring charles. when the show expanded internationally for the grand prix was when i really got into some of the ideas, like Italy and Japan fusing to be Giappone, or French Canada being its own thing. there's also stuff like Neo Yokio having a completely different national anthem even though it's just bizarro New York.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the giant toblerone travels through an entire episode and is slightly plot relevant

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the best toblerones are the teal ones that have sea salt and toasted almonds in them

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Should I instincively poo poo on Jayden Smith's attempt to anime?

no, because he has no involvement with the actual production. he was just tapped to voice act

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It's got no credited writers or director, and reads a lot like an ego-project for its star. I wouldn't make too many assumptions here.

ezra koenig is credited as creator and writer and each episode credits whoever storyboarded it. jayden has no credits other than voice acting.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

safe pick: children of the whale
risky pick: garo -vanishing line-

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

for namtab's risky pick i'll recommend blend s

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Namtab posted:

Please don't pick my picks - also im not allowed to pick things I know in some form so an established series like garo is illegal

wow, namtab has a big head
those are my picks, and blend s is just a suggestion based on my risk assessment of the season

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I'd think that Kakegurui could be considered up there on AOTS lists......no?

probably, but the ending was poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

How does a show like that even end? I wasn't under the impression that it had much of an overarching plot besides horny, melty-faced lesbians gambling a whole lot.

she was trying to gamble her way to the top of the school and face off with the student council president. there's also a ton of stuff in it wrt class issues that is pretty compelling and supposedly gets explored in later material. but uh, the final gamble against the student council president was incredibly simple/anticlimactic and it felt like the whole episode was just rushing to conclude things so it could do an epilogue of how all the characters are doing now, with the door is left open for a second season.

• Locked thread