Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rangpur posted:

whos haoliners?
Chinese Anime (Chanime? Chiname?) Studio based on Shanghai. Their projects so far have been on the less-than-stellar side of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hate Yowamushi Pedal now
The Hot-Blooded cycling manga?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Monogatari BD's and DVD's are still selling reasonably well, aren't they? Like, I swear I read somewhere that Shinbo Simbo's plan was to animate EVERY single Monogatari novel, but are they still selling as well as they did with Bake and Nise? If I don't misremember, the original Bakemonogatari BD's were legit competing with stuff like Eva 1.11 and 2.22 and such, weren't they?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

darkgray posted:

Sales have dropped gradually for every new season. Bakemonogatari averaged around 80k per volume, Owarimonogatari around 27k.

For comparison, Attack on Titan s2's first volume came out last week, and the sales drop from s1 to s2 was 51,171 -> 6,603 (on vol 1's first week).
Holy crap. That's a pretty good consistency for a show that had its first BD/DVD out almost 8 years ago. I remember that shows like Oreimo or Infinite Stratos were considered super successful because they got past the 20k average with their first seasons.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

So Princess Principal is going to be an anime-original high school Cold War spy thriller set in a parallel-universe occupied Britain and written by Ichiro Okouchi, the guy who did Valvrave, Guilty Crown, and Kabaneri.

Strap in, kids, we're in for a wild ride.
No mention of Code motherfucking Geass?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

Wasn't he only a co-writer on that?
Nope, Guilty Crown is where he was co-writer. Code Geass is as much (director) Goro Taniguchi's baby as it is Okouchi's.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kater posted:

Still baffled by what was so horrible about izetta.
It was mostly OK, but hella dull at points. Saori Hayami as Princess Fine (and Himika Akaneya in what was probably her debut lead as the aforementioned Izetta) was great, though, and now I understand why she's getting a lot of the roles that HanaKana or Eri Kitamura were getting up until a couple of years ago. Also, the two main leads have a very cute relationship. :3:

The one thing that felt somewhat gratuitous and a bit jarring despite the aim of being a simple *Wink wink! Fanservice time!* scene was how a lady (oddly enough, voiced by HanaKana) uses the excuse that she's getting Izetta's measurements to sexually harass her. And while it's a relatively short and nothing as exploitative as something like that scene from Cross Ange (or anything from Cross Ange, period), it's still like "Was that necessary at ALL?".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Okouchi is fine. Valvrave, Guilty Crown and Kabaneri all have their share of issues, but he's fairly reliable as a screenwriter.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't really understand what people mean when they call an anime a train wreck.
"You don't want to look, but you just can't look away"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

a way for people to say they like symphogear on sa in 2012 without thinking people will think they're weird
Symphogear is rad. Symphogear Season 2 was just as much (if not more so) radder. S3 was when things were not as rad (still plenty fun, though). I have high hopes for S4.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GorfZaplen posted:

It's best to just junk it altogether. I can probably count the number of actual trainwrecks on my hand and that's if we count Evangelion as one
Now, I don't have the hindsight of watching Evangelion while it aired (in Late '95-Early '96), but from what I've read from different sources, didn't a lot of the issues started rearing their head even before the show first aired? Like the cult that attacked the Tokyo Subway with Sarin Gas (which was also used by Anno's buddy Ikuhara for Penguindrum some 16 years later) made them scrap the whole second half of the series, along with sponsorship of the show going the way of the dodo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

these titties contain the entire combined works of shakespeare, with improvements to the scripts he would have made if he was still alive today
Is this a reference to a goon who used to have a Homestuck AV about how Homestuck was better than Shakespeare's entire body of work?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

bonus demi-chan is good
poo poo, did that drop already? Gotta go watch it, then! :dance:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Fingers crossed!

After a weird but cool weekend so far, I finally saw the Princess Principal trailer, and all I can say is "Please be good. :pray:"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Homura and Sickle posted:

gently caress kakegurui is licensed by loving netflix? so have to wait for fansubs i guess. gently caress netflix is just the worst at this

raws are out for turbo-weebs and other japanese speakers though

:ughh: Oh well.

The upside is that, as a dork who's decent at speaking/understanding Japanese is that I don't actually have problems with no subs and can watch shows. The current downside is that my internet connection at home has been spotty at best. Decisions.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ranzear posted:

And then I bought a new TV that runs Tizen and there's no Crunchyroll app because :effort:

There's also no Twitch app. I don't loving get it because Tizen is linux based just the same as Android. That poo poo should just port straight over.

A lot of times it's "Well, money..." and that's seriously the end of it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And when you really like something and have space for it, buy it. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
SYD got a drone. A motherfucking drone! Slice of life shows have to keep up!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Snake Eater. :blush:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The one thing about Shaft that I'm glad to see is Akiyuki Shinbo kinda stepping away and letting other people direct things. Like yeah, they're still putting his name as "Chief Director" but it feels that he's just there because he knows people and that's that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

in practice this just means other people get director credits for the house style aka "copy Shinbo." doesn't seem that great to me
I dunno. March comes like a Lion felt like its own thing much of the time. How much of that is due to the original manga being from the same lady who did Honey and Clover (and the anime keeping it with the same vibe) and how much it is from Shinbo letting someone take a crack at the rudder is up to debate. Hopefully this means good things.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Space Flower posted:

i too am glad for a thing that happened over a decade ago
Wait, a decade ago? I thought it only started happening after finishing the Sasami-san anime. When was that, 4 years ago?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tokiomi and Risei circling around Mister Pretty while info-dumping in Fate/Zero is so pointless, overdone and all around bad that it loops back into being loving rad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please do not talk smack about my 2D wife Rin Tohsaka

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e: Beaten like a chump

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, in spite of all the shouting he does in Gintama, you'd think his voice would be shot to hell, but he can still pull off youngish voices remarkably well.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Will I watch FLCL?

I think I can
I think I can
I think I can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCGPG8uiddE

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Parallax posted:

they've got a bunch of talented animators doing their first directorial work on it so maybe that part will be interesting even if everything else is stupid

(it would have been cooler if they had gotten a different band to do all the music for it)
Little Witch Academia and Mob Psycho proved that new animators are off their loving rocker. Also that Yoh Yoshinari (and his older brother, Koh) are still incredibly talented human beings. You can say that LWA has its share of flaws, but drat if it's not rad looking.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A friend texted me after watching Kakegurui's 1st Episode.

"Did the black-haired one seriously just have an O-face over gambling"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

is there really any relation between the two shows and FLCL2&3? neither Yoshinari brother is attached and you've only got two dudes who did some KA on the Mob OP/one ep. seems kind of a weird/misrepresentative tangent.
Didn't a goon mention a couple of posts ago that the FLCL sequel is going to have a buncha young animators working on it? Because that was my whole connection.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I read somewhere in these forums that Call Center jobs are basically the modern equivalent of Coal Mining. I mean, they're lovely, but they sure as gently caress don't give you black lungs.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Isekai Startup: How I duped people out of their money and they dumped me into another world"

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i wasn't familiar with that one, since the whole "otherworlders screech and moan like orgasmic chimps in response to japanese food" thing never appealed to me. the dorks writing those wn's really don't quite understand that different cultures and nationalities have varying palates, so no person has ever been waiting their whole lives for some lovely instant curry.
Maybe it's because I'm hungry, but "lovely instant curry" sounds really appetizing right about now.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Quark posted:

How do you know what whale tastes like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJYTjjNp8ys

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Compendium posted:

I want rice after watching Isekai Shokudou

So just about the same reaction as I had w/ the novel, 10/10
Sweetness and Lightning does that thing too.

Plutonis posted:

Also if you have a job and support the idea of people having jobs you are a "wagecuck", sorry to tell you.
Wait: Does that mean that I'm cheating on my job by supporting that other people have jobs? Or am I cheating in other jobs other people do by doing my current job?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What Julias said. The Umineko VN's are actually good. The anime is horrible, don't bother. 1 star.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Aho Girl is bad
Man, really? I was hoping to get my "Shorter Episode Length" anime fix with it and Tsurezure Children.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't think Aho Girl is quite into the realm of good, but I enjoy Tomokazu Sugita and Y.Aoi acting silly, so I'll probably keep watching it. Glad it's only half length.
Those two loving rule. :dance:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, watched the first episode of Aho Girl. The content is pretty "eh", but it's pretty telling that despite the less than stellar content, the voice actors (Yuuki, Sugita, Yoko Hikasa as the mom and Sumire Uesaka as what I'm guessing is the StuCo Prez) do some fairly strong voice work that made the show fairly easy to swallow.

Also, I know this is the Summer Anime thread, but I have a question: Is there a good Comedy "Dorama" (doesn't matter if it's Japanese or Korean, but if it's korean, subs would be appreciated) you guys would recommend. Due to the fact that work was slow/non-existent today, I basically mainlined almost all of Aoi Honoo / Blue Blazes, so I got that itch.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

いろいろ? :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I was curious about this Aoyama-kun and I took a peek at the MAL page, and did the casting director just go "Let's get every popular Seiyuu from the mid-90's to the mid-00's that we can get" or something? So, if it's good, I'll give it a go.

• Locked thread