Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Fate/Apocrypha and Isekai Shokudou are getting a watch from me the former because I am deep in fate poo poo and the latter, because I made the food thread, I must watch the food show. The light novel is a relaxing read, I'm sad that it hasn't been translated beyond 15 chapters.

Convenience Store Boyfriends sounds fun too, Saiyuki I'll watch because I've been starved for any Saiyuki content, I'm sad that Minekura's health issues and general publishing bs tends to make releases uneven and confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Restaurant to Another World is interesting because I picked up a manga on a whim recently called Another World Tavern Nobu (Isekai Izakaya Nobu) which is pretty drat similar in concept.

I guess the surging popularity of Food-based series' and Isekai based series' are just merging at this point.

Also, I am noticing a lot of negativity towards Re:Creators in this thread. I only watched the first two episodes but it seemed really neat, did it go to poo poo after that or start dragging?

Yeah, Isekai Nobu and Restaurant to Another World (I kind of like Other World Dining Hall as an alternate title myself) are the same in concept, but somewhat different in execution. You see it all the time in light novels where people just copy the same concept (modern person in another world, reincarnation, help I'm stuck in a game etc etc), but they all do try to put a spin on it for the most part.

For one thing, there's a lack of fantasy creatures in Isekai Nobu since most of the customers are human while there's various humanoids and more varied species in Restaurant to Another World. I'll also say that in Nobu, the customers just take all the modern foods and devices in stride and are generally oblivious to how, well, other worldly the chef and the waitress girl are because they're like, "Oh, it's similar to what we find in our own kingdom or other countries, never mind how they actually get their supplies though."

In the latter, the customers are super aware that the restaurant is full of things they don't know about and are in awe of, but they only have one day out of the week to eat there and so they're more focused on enjoying their favorite dish instead of trying to figure out what the gently caress is even with the nice lighting and AC/heater. So they're not oblivious as the Nobu customers, but eating is more important.

That said, I like both series.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I don't know if the lighting is coming from above and shining down on her suit or if the light is coming from inside the house and is shining through the fabric

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I don't know what I'm reading in this thread, but oh well

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I want rice after watching Isekai Shokudou

So just about the same reaction as I had w/ the novel, 10/10

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

an actual dog posted:

SAIYUKI RELOAD BLAST is incredibly stupid and has cute smelly boys who get it bloody fights. I enjoyed it but it's not like, actually good lol

It's apparently a part of a franchise that goes way back to the 90s, kinda retro feeling.

Saiyuki is incredibly stupid and incredibly heart breaking and I love it.

The old anime series was ugly as sin though, so it's nice that this current series actually reflects Minekura's style a bit better.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Konbini Kareshi is me mostly marveling at how cheap the animation is although I've seen more gonk in other things. Lot of still shots of people doing nothing though.

Isekai Shokudou is just about what I expect it to be. Probably boring as poo poo to other people, but relaxing and nice for me. It's an isekai without too much of the trappings of the genre and more importantly, foods

Gonna watch Saiyuki next

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Watched Saiyuki felt like I was back in the early 2000s, but with better animation and image quality. It's hard to describe, but they kept the goofiness of the other anime series and the style of exposition, but it just looks nicer. It's kind of good to have this series about angsty boys back again without the gonk looking faces (but who's to say it won't happen in future eps)

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
For Isekai Shokudou I find it interesting in how they're adapting this because the demon girl waitress actually doesn't appear in the novel until the 20th chapter. Guess they needed a mascot for the anime earlier on. I will say that the dialogue is probably hella awkward, but there's not much you can do when describing how food tastes in an anime compared to a novel. Still, the relaxed and cozy atmosphere is about the same and it's nice to watch after a long day.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Also giving my props and recommendation for Galko-chan, it's very good and like Endorph said, it's refreshing how frank the series is about topics most manga/anime won't touch because bodies are icky. But they address this and it's very charming how it does so.

I've read the dating a Gyaru manga, it's like if Galko was dating the lame sauce protag, except she'd have way more self respect and dump him right away. Or not start dating him at all to begin with.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I've been reading the Kakegarui manga, it's fun and ridiculous. Should watch the eps out so far, but from the looks of it, it's about what I expected.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Saiyuki continues to be dumb, but fun and sad. The second episode was dumb filler and a waste, but the this week's ep was decent since it's from the manga.

They also carried over the comedy short bits at the end of each ep like they did in the second and third series heh.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Because evil Minus Wave makes demon elves super violent and the whole point of Saiyuki is Sanzo and harem of handsome dudes go west to stop evil mistress trying to revive a demon king because her experiments is loving up said demons and they're also trying to steal the super buddha paper that Sanzo has around his shoulders.

in the mean while we enjoy the man angst and Gojyo reminding the audience that he is in fact totally heterosexual. Good times.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, pretty much, but at this point in Saiyuki, most humans are basically NOPE at any demons, even the sane ones because it's more than possible that they'll go crazy sooner or later and there are demons who are more than willing to gently caress poo poo up, evil wave or not. Throughout the series, the story addresses and revolve around the demons who aren't affected by evil atmosphere wave and what the implications of the future are gonna be like for them since their relationship with humans is irrevocably damaged because of the past and current events.

At the same time, Sanzo and friends have capped many a demon since they technically came for them first so rip demons :ghost: Also, in-universe people who actually know them are like, "this is a lovely priest and his followers are also super questionable"

Compendium fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 21, 2017

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Youkai Apartment is a better to read as a manga than watch as an adaption because I can kind of forgive its zig zagging tone in print, but it wouldn't be fun to watch.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Araki posted:

Counter-point: It's a bad show, and probably my biggest disappointment of the season. Every half-episode follows the exact same structure, and the show's completely devoid of plot or interesting characters. The owner doesn't have a shred of characterization beyond "nice person", the waitress girl hasn't had a single interesting moment since her half-episode ended, and everybody else just exposition-dumps their entire life story in ten minutes, then has a minor orgasm about some food, and then leaves. Maybe at some point the show will start connecting the various narrative dots it's been drawing, but the first half of the season has been nothing but the same inconsequential short story, repeated ten or twelve times.

That's basically the light novel format too, except you get more text exposition about the fantasy world and their various cultures and how they relate to each other and how the food the restaurant serves has and continues to affect their lives. There's no grand overarching narrative, it's literally a slice-of-life of DnD characters being able to enjoy a unique space with unique food they can't get anywhere else. Like, I'm not sure what you were expecting since the first three episodes are pretty indicative of what you're gonna get, so you're probably expecting too much.

This is the type of "isekai" story that I like; mundane, but pleasant and it isn't about an MC who solves fantasy world people's problems by wowing them with a cheat skill or power. I like that we don't have a name for him because there isn't a huge need to make him a deep character. It's about the experiences of the customers and I like that they don't worship the ground the chef walks on like a lot of isekai stories tend to do especially with teenage male MCs; they just love their food and are grateful to him for the service he provides to all walks of life from fantasy land.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

wasn't there gonna be an anime of shinya shokudo? no isekai, but otherwise it does the same thing only with humor and charm.

There's a drama with a few seasons and a movie under its belt. I'd say it's more melodramatic because the stories can be sad sometimes, but it's pretty great that way. It works better as a live action drama anyways, it doesn't need an animated version.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Today's Isekai Restaurant episode:

I want curry

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Women... as human... beings...??

:vince:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

The Colonel posted:

galko: teenage girls talk about periods and stuff
hajimete no gal: weird guy REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY wants to get laid by women with big titties

Galko: Galko-chan is actually a mom who takes care of everyone in her class by handing out soothing throat candies, fixing damaged nails and styling a guy's hair that fixes his self-esteem.

Hajimete no Gal: "I want this average male protagonist to do me, but I'll be a tease about it to reinforce his lovely views about girls since I'm written by a typical romcom author, but it keeps him hanging around me on the off-chance it happens "

Compendium fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 31, 2017

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I think I've only tried natto once and forgot what it was like. I could probably handle it because I'm used to weird stinky foods since I grew up and still eat plenty of Vietnamese food.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Probably because during the normal work week, there are non-fantasy customers who eat it because it is a restaurant in Japan after all.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It's more like, "well, spaghetti is a Western food, let's add something Japanese people like/accustomed to, to fit our taste." Kind of like what they do with everything else. They probably know that no one else outside of Japan would eat/like natto, much like how no one outside of Australia would like vegemite.

Now I wonder if vegemite spaghetti exists

Edit: I googled it, and yes, it is a thing. drat.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

I can't believe the Get Down and Sense 8 got canceled and then they approve of. This.

The animation is giving me a stroke. There is literally no aesthetic cohesion in artstyle or genre. Like the gently caress kind of story are they trying to tell?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The Voltron reboot is also easy to understand for someone who doesn't watch it (aliens, mechas, space, and teens) and again, stylistically cohesive especially with the trademark artstyle of the people who worked on Avatar and Legend of Korra.

This trailer ain't inspiring confidence.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
We had stuff like Justice League, Teen Titans, Code Lyoko, and Samurai Jack. Oh, and Static Shock. There was definitely bad stuff, but these were a decent crop around that time.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 8, 2017

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
We had Fullmetal Alchemist in 2003

And Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

And Tokyo Godfathers

And Interstellar 555

And Princess Tutu

Actually we had a lot of good anime in 2003 hot drat

Compendium fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 7, 2017

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
There is ugly anime in every year

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Moltrey posted:

yall motherfuckers got the weakest constiutions i've ever seen

yeah gently caress it, i'll watch anime jaden smith, desus and mero fight a demon Damien Hirst sculpture and teach old money fuckboys a lesson. sure. why not.

If they can get a decent soundtrack and none of that public domain music poo poo they got going on in the trailer, then MAYBE...

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is a real show? This is some kind of joke, right?

Objectively, the style is kinda ugly even compared to Neo Yokio, but it's still well regarded and people have fond memories of it.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The color coordination and shading in Totally Spies was better.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

WHAT

edit; stop trying to take my money amazon, I use you a lot, yes but

Compendium fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 14, 2017

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Knorth posted:

Isekai Shokudou finale was pretty great, it's been so nice to spend some time each week with this hungry bunch

Man, I really could go for a bowl of pork soup and a croquette right now

God, this was a nice show to watch after having a long day of work and school. You'd think I could watch more exciting anime that's better animated, but I just love this boring, but warm slice of life story full of DnDs and foods.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Please report back when you're done

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
People on my dashboard have been posting out of context screenshots of Neo Yokio and this is the screencap that is getting closer to me actually watching it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Wark Say posted:

Toblerones are awesome.

My Australian great-uncle gifted us a jar of mini Toblerones, that included white and dark chocolate versions. He is my favorite relative for a reason.

But yeah, I'll watch Neo Yokio, why the gently caress not

• Locked thread