Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Monogatari, Fate/Aprocrypha, and maybe Centaur's Worries. Not much but it's better than the zero from last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah I'll probably give Tsurezure Children a look too, that manga is pretty decent.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Monogatari is on this season?

Julias posted:

:siren:Owarimonogatari 2nd Season
Shaft | ... | ... | Light Novel | Mystery, Comedy, Supernatural | July 2017
Second season of Owarimonogatari.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Glumslinger posted:

I guess I'll check out Fate and Vatican X-Files

The new Fate is from the same studio that did UBW, right?
UBW and Zero was ufotable, Apocrypha is A-1.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Most of the reason I like Apocrypha (the manga at least) is because of Akira Ishida if I'm honest.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That is correct.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I kind of like Jeanne though admittedly that's mostly just because I like her design (remains to be seen for me how this changes for Apocrypha and/or Grand Order) whereas original Saber's look is kind of dull.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's definitely a franchise that I would be over the moon to have some more seasons for.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Davincie posted:

if you have not seen rakugo for some reason, the directors cut of the first episode that adds half an hour of extra content has now be subbed, so start with that
Is it on crunchyroll?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I watched a few episodes of Fate/Apocrypha and Tsurezure Children but realized that in the end I have very little interest in experiencing those stories a second time after already reading the manga. I feel like that's been happening more and more the last couple of seasons, where even if I really enjoyed a given manga it is not a fait accompli that I will watch its anime version. And since there was nothing else I was interested in besides Monogatari which isn't even a TV show it's resulted in another season of not watching anything. It's given me time to catch up on other TV backlogs, at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a kitten posted:

Macross Delta movie announced
https://twitter.com/macrossd/status/894030338590031872

Maybe it'll fix some stuff?

Anyway, more Freyja and wowowow is cool with me.
Nowhere to go but up really.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Knorth posted:

What went wrong with the show? I remember people being really into it and then suddenly not
Macross Delta had a hell of a fun opening act, with the idea of having the idol characters actually participate in the battles along as literal weaponized singing. The main character's gimmick was also seemingly about getting his plane to break dance and that could be fun.

But it never delivered on either of those concepts. In the end the idols spent every battle being crutches that had to be rescued and the main character quickly lost his breakdancing gimmick and instead just became insanely boring (seriously, he made me pine for Nekki Basara). The midseason finale battle was basically the climax of the entire plot and the entire second half was spent spinning its wheels leading to a protracted, wet fart of a conclusion. Lots of potential twists and revelations were teased that were also never delivered upon, making it feel like your time was wasted on so many plot threads and characters. The love triangle was the laziest and most half-assed attempt in a Macross story.

But perhaps most of all, the villains are AWFUL. Supremely boring and unsympathetic, despite the show desperately wanting you to feel the opposite on both aspects. They were one note and guarded by so much plot armor that it made every encounter tedious and repetitive because nothing ever happened. And yet they took up so much screen time, it was infuriating.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Freyja is p good but boy is she wasted on Hayate.

Davincie posted:

idol trash away

!!!!!!!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

C.M. Kruger posted:

It's a incredibly pleasant slice-of-life series about two inchling women and their various friends. Lots of cooking, soap making, sewing, fishing, stuff like that.
That's not to say it's dull either, there's a fair amount of "action" or at least excitement most chapters as the titular characters tend to find themselves in mishaps quite often. The world has thus far been developed extremely well and there is an arsenal of solid supporting characters. It's super.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As someone who loved the original but could not muster up any excitement whatsoever when I saw the new pitch/designs (as well as the fact that it wasn't a sequel to the OVA), what was wrong with it?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I finally got around to seeing Your Name and it's, by a gargantuan margin, the best Shinkai I've seen. Shinkai finally seemed to get that people don't just want incessantly dry bittersweet stories carried entirely by their animation and actually gave it a bit of a heart. That it's a movie that he seems to not actually like himself is kind of hilarious but also possibly telling, I guess.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Assuming it covers the arcs I think it will, March comes in like a Lion S2 will be one of the best shows in years.

Osomatsu-san should also be great and while its manga has a heap of flaws I might cautiously look forward to UQ Holder.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

GorfZaplen posted:

March Comes In kind of petered off for me. The Lion King tournament was the last thing to really interest me
S1 was in kind of a bad spot to end tbh, it kind of forced itself to be in a situation where the last third or so would have a stretch where Rei and the Kawamoto sisters aren't the focus (tho I do like Shimada a lot!!). That should change in a, uh, big way with S2.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tarezax posted:

As a 2013 reg you may not know this, but ADTRW used to have an infestation of literal pedos before the great pedogeddon where they were all permabanned. This was back in like 2007
I think it was actually '05 because I vaguely recall it happening almost right after I joined.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a kitten posted:

Your Name ruled.

Also, check out this fuckin packaging :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/900524570100346881
loving rad, as soon as I finished Your Name I went looking for the BD but only found imports.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mitsuha's relationship with her father is probably the one plot thread that the movie could have definitely done a lot better. I can live with it because there are enough other relationships/stories that are done well enough to fill in for it but it is a glaring omission in an otherwise pretty tight and charming sci-fi adventure/romance.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mitsuha's arc felt more centered around her relationship with the town in general and her desire to get out of it IMO; the thread with her father was more an important setup/backstory to establish why things with her grandmother and the family situation were the way they were.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Taki is the more active participant but I'd argue the entire premise of the movie is a vehicle for her to "act on her feelings towards the town", even if much of it is not something of her own volition.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It almost felt like sort of a dig at the way Shinkai usually ends his movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Hinamatsuri is getting an anime adaption in 2018 and that's pretty great.

• Locked thread