Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
should op be banned
yes
no
View Results

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Chris Lattner, creator of LLVM, clang, and Swift, quit Apple to work at Tesla a few months ago, and has now quit Tesla.

https://twitter.com/clattner_llvm/status/877341760812232704

Apparently working for two egomaniacal, ultra-demanding, workaholic CEOs in his career was one too many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ok

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
👍

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

what does that nerd even do?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

tried to make a joke about swift cars but cbf

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cheese-cube posted:

quits two jobs in a year, apparently

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

what a freaking nerd that guy is!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

cheese-cube posted:

now he does nothing :laugh:

but having invented LLVM, clang, and swift is p cool IMHO

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
tesla continuing to confirm its status as a hot mess.

lattner is a cool dude, really smart and nice to work with. maybe too mellow for tesla culture.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

something something culture fit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

Chris Lattner, creator of LLVM, clang, and Swift, quit Apple to work at Tesla a few months ago, and has now quit Tesla.

https://twitter.com/clattner_llvm/status/877341760812232704

Apparently working for two egomaniacal, ultra-demanding, workaholic CEOs in his career was one too many.

llvm, clang, and swift are all horrible so its not surprising the creator washed out when asked to do something more significant.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

building neat things and quitting bad jobs, this is a guy yospos should look to for advice on how to live ones life

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

llvm, clang, and swift are all horrible so its not surprising the creator washed out when asked to do something more significant.

unusually bad shaggar opinion. the rest is of lesser relevance, but llvm is a clear-cut Good Thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I guess congrats on trying to turn Linux into a functional development environment? too bad they failed.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

llvm is a generalized compiler backend, used for all kinds of actually sensible things, whenever you need to generate code really. for example the directx hlsl compiler https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXShaderCompiler (and pretty much all opencl compilers similarly)

i rather love emscripten as well (compile anything with a llvm frontend into javascript, i.e. take legacy c codebase and push it to the client), despite it being a rather dirty thing, but anything to not have to do javascript

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
edit: gently caress, beaten

edit2: LLVM is modular, too. so you could pull in various pieces for an IDE or whatever and use it to assist with all kinds of stuff.

given how useful and popular it is, I'm surprised google hasn't forked it, like they did with webkit.

edit3: and clang is a pretty good C/C++/ObjC compiler based on LLVM. and unlike msvc++, clang doesn't intentionally ignore parts of the standard because ~Herb Sutter~

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 21, 2017

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

I guess congrats on trying to turn Linux into a functional development environment? too bad they failed.

lol

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

tesla continuing to confirm its status as a hot mess.

lattner is a cool dude, really smart and nice to work with. maybe too mellow for tesla culture.

wait have you actually worked with chris

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rjmccall posted:

wait have you actually worked with chris

very briefly.

The Management fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 21, 2017

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
best of luck to you chris and god bless

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What use does Tesla have with a compiler developer

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
sounds like a clever cookie rich should poach him for the xenforo migration imo

pram
Jun 10, 2001

poty posted:

sounds like a clever cookie rich should poach him for the xenforo migration imo

lol

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

yeah I've wondered if Tesla engineering is a tire fire but you don't hear much about that side of it

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
chris specifically wanted to do something that was not compiler development

i assume that's still true

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i really would argue that the guy has finished compiler work. if he wanted to continue he would have to go into fundamental research mode. so likely very sensible to try to switch out up. less sensible to go to tesla, but oh well

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

quote:

In January 2017, I joined the Tesla Autopilot team - helping to make the dream of fully autonomous cars a practical reality.

rip fully autonomous cars

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i'd question the benefit that some dumb compiler turbo-nerd can bring to a corp that makes cars and another corp that makes something? why doesn't he just go work somewhere that he is actually needed?

also gently caress that motherfucker for having freedom of employment in tyool 2017. seamlessly transitioning between two prolly high paying jobs in one year is the biggest bs. oh woe is that bellend i hope he falls over!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wrong thread

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

sorry my bad.

gas op/ban thread

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oh sorry that was actually directed at myself

i just ninja edited it

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

nice

but my point still stands

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Tesla's self driving team is a dumpster fire. basically everyone quit and Elon had to beg on twitter for applicants.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

DuckConference posted:

yeah I've wondered if Tesla engineering is a tire fire but you don't hear much about that side of it

not software but my brother does some prototyping for tesla (fluid lines and poo poo) and he said they are pleasant to deal with as a customer and knowledgeable about what they need/want

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Sagebrush posted:

What use does Tesla have with a compiler developer

he's a manager these days. running a team that's writing a compiler is not fundamentally different from running a team writing some other kind of software.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

not software but my brother does some prototyping for tesla (fluid lines and poo poo) and he said they are pleasant to deal with as a customer and knowledgeable about what they need/want

i'm sure their hardware engineering is top-notch -- they have a great electric drivetrain and they are successfully making cars, which is not an easy task.

it sounds like all the bullshit comes directly from elon and/or whoever's in charge of their software idiocy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
didn't someone do a review of their software security and found it was not bad?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

basically there are three things that anger me about tesla

1) their (elon's) insistence that their cars are far more capable under "autopilot" than they really are, which amounts to false advertising at best and criminal negligence at worst

2) their garbage UX design decisions that throw out eighty years of human factors research because someone (elon) believes the cars should look like iphones inside

3) their total refusal to allow anyone to even attempt to repair, modify or analyze the cars, going so far as to remotely revert the software on hackers' personal vehicles and sue people who have posted PDFs of the repair manuals online

also i don't like that every tesla seems to come from the factory with a smug electricity pun license plate.

other than that they're cool.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
none of that is a software problem tho. 1 is a regulatory failure 2 is a design failure and 3 is lawyer poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

2) is partly a software failure in that they let the software engineers have too much influence over the design of the controls. a good designer with human factors/ergonomics experience would not have let them get away with "giant ipad controls everything."

but yes, overall i don't think their software is poorly-coded, just mischaracterized (autopilot is not an autopilot) and half-baked (the UX sucks).

• Locked thread