Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
should op be banned
yes
no
View Results

• Locked thread
Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Sagebrush posted:

What use does Tesla have with a compiler developer

he's a manager these days. running a team that's writing a compiler is not fundamentally different from running a team writing some other kind of software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
"I effectively stopped regretted attrition from the team, and ended up growing it by over 50%. I personally interviewed most of the accepted candidates."

"In the end, Elon and I agreed that he and I did not work well together and that I should leave, so I did."

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah i cant imagine a programming job more satisfying than being deeply involved in projects like swift and llvm.

working on compilers and dev tools was literally the only thing he'd ever done professionally, so even if you're right and he had the best possible job to have it seems natural to eventually want to try something different to at least have a point of comparison.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

D has fairly complete support for C++, with the main quirk being that you have to explicitly instantiate any templates you want to be able to use from D

java's jni stuff all has full support for c++ but that doesn't really count since you're still writing a wrapper layer

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Maximo Roboto posted:

it'd be funny if they get Kotlin Native up and running by the time Swift gets ABI compatibility

kotlin looks nice if targeting java is a requirement but i don't really see any reason to use kotlin native other than for porting existing code

• Locked thread