Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
should op be banned
yes
no
View Results

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What use does Tesla have with a compiler developer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

not software but my brother does some prototyping for tesla (fluid lines and poo poo) and he said they are pleasant to deal with as a customer and knowledgeable about what they need/want

i'm sure their hardware engineering is top-notch -- they have a great electric drivetrain and they are successfully making cars, which is not an easy task.

it sounds like all the bullshit comes directly from elon and/or whoever's in charge of their software idiocy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

basically there are three things that anger me about tesla

1) their (elon's) insistence that their cars are far more capable under "autopilot" than they really are, which amounts to false advertising at best and criminal negligence at worst

2) their garbage UX design decisions that throw out eighty years of human factors research because someone (elon) believes the cars should look like iphones inside

3) their total refusal to allow anyone to even attempt to repair, modify or analyze the cars, going so far as to remotely revert the software on hackers' personal vehicles and sue people who have posted PDFs of the repair manuals online

also i don't like that every tesla seems to come from the factory with a smug electricity pun license plate.

other than that they're cool.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

2) is partly a software failure in that they let the software engineers have too much influence over the design of the controls. a good designer with human factors/ergonomics experience would not have let them get away with "giant ipad controls everything."

but yes, overall i don't think their software is poorly-coded, just mischaracterized (autopilot is not an autopilot) and half-baked (the UX sucks).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"doesn't work well with elon" should be the first line of his resume

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i want to believe that's a mock-up, and that NASA (or better, the russians) will slap some sense into them, but we saw what happened with the model 3

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Blue Train posted:

The cars going to be driving itself, no need to present information to the driver in an easy to see way

this is almost a verbatim elon quote, for those who don't know

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I liked the mars suits dainese developed a few years ago

ofc that's for a situation where the temperatures are only about as cold as a winter day and there's a bit of a (non-breathable) atmosphere

using the diagonal cords to provide structure is cool tho

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the talent deficit posted:

actually, he said you're gonna have a relationship with your tesla like you do with a taxi. the future is awesome

"Honey, what do you say we take a drive up into the mountains and have a picnic?" *shoveling a mountain of syringes and used condoms out of the passenger seat*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Raluek posted:

lol at the different color temperature on every monitor.

just out of curiosity, is the front of an lcd panel strong enough to hold the liquid crystal in if the cabin is vented? i wonder how much pressure differential it can stand.

i don't think liquid crystal monitors have enough "liquid" in them for that to be an issue

• Locked thread