Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
should op be banned
yes
no
View Results

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Chris Lattner, creator of LLVM, clang, and Swift, quit Apple to work at Tesla a few months ago, and has now quit Tesla.

https://twitter.com/clattner_llvm/status/877341760812232704

Apparently working for two egomaniacal, ultra-demanding, workaholic CEOs in his career was one too many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
👍

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

cheese-cube posted:

what does that nerd even do?

now he does nothing :laugh:

but having invented LLVM, clang, and swift is p cool IMHO

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
edit: gently caress, beaten

edit2: LLVM is modular, too. so you could pull in various pieces for an IDE or whatever and use it to assist with all kinds of stuff.

given how useful and popular it is, I'm surprised google hasn't forked it, like they did with webkit.

edit3: and clang is a pretty good C/C++/ObjC compiler based on LLVM. and unlike msvc++, clang doesn't intentionally ignore parts of the standard because ~Herb Sutter~

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 21, 2017

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

I don't think theres any software developer who has the final say on the stupid tablet controls. that's gotta be a management thing.

reminder that SpaceX's crewed capsule uses giant touch screens for controls, with manual buttons for a few things to be used in emergencies.

because those screens won't be hard to use while the craft is vibrating during takeoff/reentry while wearing a spacesuit, no sir. nevermind somebody accidentally brushing up against the panel while in zero-g.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

we really do not need another thread for reposting the exact same poo poo about tesla that's already being posted to like three other threads

lol it is a bad car and elon is an idiot, but it has nothing to do with chris lattner

serious post: when I first learned you worked for apple on LLVM and swift, I thought you might be chris lattner.

(are you ted kremenek?)

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
serious post x2: chris lattner's surprise guest spot on ATP was v interesting

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

i literally dox myself every time i post, my handle is my initials and last name

well poo poo, shows you what I know

rjmccall posted:

also i am extremely trolled by the title

seems that chris lattner publicly gets called the inventor of swift by apple (or, at least by the press). but IIRC you said in the CoC Swift thread you were the first person hired to design & work on swift full time, so v:shobon:v extremely my bad

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Get that poo poo outta my thread.

Objective-C is objectively the best language for iOS and Mac dev right now. Swift will be tied soon.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Swift doesn't interop with C++, and for my next project (and probably many after) that automatically excludes it.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

is there any language that interops with c++??

Objective-C does, when compiled as Objective-C++

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

emoji posted:

Objective C is good.

yep. my current idiot spare time game project would be 100% objective c except I used somebody else's physics engine (which is C).

next one is gonna be pc/mac/etc tho so it has to be c++ :( except the mac-specific platform support stuff.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

you should rewrite your c++ crap in rust, op

why would i want to make a game in rust, jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
surprised google didn't just try to embrace swift and then fork it, like they did with webkit. same for LLVM/clang

• Locked thread