Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Plebian Parasite posted:

It's worth noting as well that usually the discounts are rolled in, certain games won't be showing their discount price until like an hour in.

Yeah, please don't be the "these sales suck" guy who didn't know this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Too Shy Guy posted:

I'll go ahead and post this now because there are invariably questions about it every big sale: Your wishlist is always the last part of the store to update. I have no idea why this is, but discount prices won't propagate to your wishlist until AT LEAST an hour or two into the sale. In fact, for the first hour or so your wishlist may disappear entirely as Steam strains to accommodate the throngs of dealseekers straining the servers.

What you can do instead is click through to the store pages of your wishlist items and see if there are any discounts. I do this at the early chaos of a sale to find any pricing errors!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

double nine posted:

:siren: it's 33% off - 40€

Called it. :smug:

How are you seeing that though.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

double nine posted:

How am I seeing what? I went to the pray store page and noted the price?

Because I'm getting nothing but error pages as is typical?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Avasculous posted:

Thanks. In that case, can anyone comment on Civilization VI for 40% off?

I know the AI is supposed to be atrocious, but I want to play MP with a friend.

A good game for a good price. Make sure to pick up the popular UI mod though.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Avasculous posted:

Well see a couple of years ago Valve figured out that players really hated logging in every day to check for dailies, so now we just have smaller, flat discounts for 2 weeks straight which is much better because

I still think it's refunds wot did them in.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

How about driving games? I don't have a wheel but I played the heck out of Colin McRae Rally back in the day. I'm looking at Project Cars, Dirt Rally and F1 2016. I've played Dirt 3 and quite liked it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Dirt Rally does only one thing and does it INCREDIBLY well. CARs does lots of things very well but it's a little rough to get into for my tastes. It felt like it's aimed at those who have been doing it for years and doesn't teach newcomers very well.

I'm not into multiplayer but racing against myself and improving over time. I like campaign modes too, Gran Turismo for PS1 was another favourite. It's always better if the game settings adjust upwards as you get better. That's why I have my eye on those games specifically but Project Cars might not be for me. That's why I've already ruled out Assetto Corsa.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Regarding the sales, in earlier years sometimes Ubi did a thing where a franchise like AC wasn't on sale at the get go but was put on sale when it was the frontpage featured deal and was on sale throughout the rest of the sale after that. There's a slim chance something that isn't on sale now will go on sale. Why would you rush to buy something at full price anyway? You might as well wait to the end of the sale, but don't keep your hopes up.

If something is on sale for Any% today, that is where it will be until July 5th.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Dial A For Awesome posted:

OK goons, am eyeing up the following games and would welcome any advice/views on the following:

Prey: I've seen the comments earlier in this thread. One extra question: is this scary? I'm a total wuss and can't really cope with horror games.

Hello fellow wuss! I managed Prey by having the big jump scares spoiled to me by the Prey thread, but if your tolerance for creepy and tension is low, skip it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Tenacious J posted:

Let's say I could go for some XCOM 2. If so - if I did say that - would I also want the DLC?

No. Save your money for the x-pack that comes out in August instead.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

One Finger Death Punch
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Stardew Valley
Dungeon Warfare
Broforce
Hollow Knight

There, I slashed your cart down to the absolute essentials. It's only like 30-40 bucks now.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Go for XCOM2, Total Warhammer 2 seems to be shaping up as the definitive game.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I've been playing through some games and actually getting several refunds, need to calm down before Gaben gets mad at me.

I was looking for a racing game that wouldn't be obnoxious and too arcadey like DiRT 3, so I picked up F1 2016 and DiRT Rally. Apparently there isn't a game for me in that sweetspot between arcade and simulation, both of those games were too overwhelming to get into. Maybe I do need to buy a wheel. So both of those I wound up refunding.

Hearthlands is a janky clone of the ancient citybuilders of old (Caesar, Pharaoh, Zeus, etc.) but doesn't do anything interesting to justify playing it instead of those older games instead. So that was also a refund.

StarCrawlers, the scifi-themed dungeon crawler of Grimrock heritage, was on the bubble for me but I think I'll end up keeping it. I'm liking it so far, my only concern is that the combat might get too samey after playing it for more than 20 hours but that's not a reason to refund the game.

Heart's Medicine: Time to Heal is my introduction to time management, it's very good, very addictive and it's making me question my prejudices about people who play "casual" time management games.

The Sexy Brutale, the Groundhog Day game of murder prevention, is exactly as good as they say, although a little less expansive than I thought and shorter than I expected, but a very solid purchase. It might be the game of the sale for me but I still have Dead Cells and Hollow Knight to try. I'm interested to see where that goes because metroidvanias and platformers haven't quite been my jam.

I've also got Hitman but I don't have SSD space to install it yet!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm sad to say the insanely cheaper version of Dead Cells is no more. Bundle Stars reduced their discount from 27% to 15% like Steam. There's still the extra 5% coupon (RED5) but it's not like it was....

Found out that by backing Project CARs all those years ago I'm an investor and have been getting paid. I had a phantom $100 sitting in my PayPal. Sadly that barely dents my list for this sale.

Gamebillet had Dead Cells for -39% until last night but looks like that's down to 15% as well.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I don't know who recommended Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, but great, GREAT recommendation. Most fun I've had with a videogame in some time. Clearly only a once-play-through kind of thing but not a bad deal at $15.

It's the best game adaptation of Sherlock Holmes I've ever played. Sadly the rest of the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes games don't really quite reach the same level.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

So there are a lot of locations that you have to travel between - but the load times are pretty short (on my high end computer with a SSD) and you're allowed to do deductions whilst riding in the cab and if you play these games like I do (sipping a soda and enjoying a snack) the loads are not onerous at all.

Yeah, with an SSD it wasn't bad enough to really notice.

The core gameplay loop has two elements. One is going to crime scenes and finding clues and making observations in a point and click fashion. The second is interviewing suspects and witnesses based on the information you have. There's the occasional puzzle minigame (the arm-wrestling one in the first case was annoying enough for me to nearly refund the game back over the Christmas sale) but the meat of the game is in hunting elements of information and then putting them together into a deduction flow chart. What makes the game stand out is that you can reach multiple different conclusions based on the same evidence and you can solve the case using any one of those. There's of course one "true" solution, which you can find out at the end of the case, and which is always possible to deduce by looking at the facts and coming up with the solution that fits everything the best. "If you rule out the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, is the truth" and "motive, opportunity, means" are your motto there.

It's not a perfect game by any means, a couple of the later cases in particular had leaps of deduction that didn't make a whole lot of sense, or the clues were obnoxiously difficult to uncover.

Buy it, play the first case, if you don't like it within two hours, refund it because you'll have seen everything the game has to offer. You can probably wrap up the first case (based on an actual Arthur Conan Doyle story) before the two hours are up.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Spikeguy posted:

It's a big world we live in and let's not forget new people are born into it every day. Let's now shame the newcomers for not being on the bandwagon when we were. We should welcome our new brothers and sisters.

If anything the people who haven't played those yet are the truly blessed, for all that is still ahead of them. The rest of us meanwhile have to contend with scraps and the hope that Cyberpunk 2077 will be awesome.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Steam daily deals were really fun. I don't think I buy the theory that their refund system negated the possibility of daily deals though. It would be easy enough to alter the refund policy so that you could still have daily deals. Valve could just say "no refunds given for anything until after the sale ends. All games bought during the sale will be eligible for a refund AFTER the sale ends if a refund is requested within two weeks after the ended sale and has less than three hours played."

Valve didn't put in refunds out of the kindness of their heart, though. They added them because the EU basically made them. And that could mean they can't attach any strings like that to them.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hurm. As I've talked myself out of getting the Division (my poor laptop can't play it well enough for it to run smoothly and look good), that leaves a nice 20$ sized hole in my budget, so!

Battle Brothers or Factorio?

I might talk myself out of both of these, but... I keep circling back to stare at them. Could I have some goonpinions to help me out?

Factorio and it's not even close. There's at least 100 hours of getting your sperg on in that game.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Please help me pick between Sniper Elite 4 and Watchdogs 2. I picked up Dying Light, Prey and Dishonored 2 and looking for one more and it's down to one of those. Never played a Sniper Elite game before but I like slow paced stealthy poo poo and am one of those people that likes World War 2 enough to not be burned out on it. I also liked the first Watchdogs fine. I don't give a gently caress about multiplayer/co-op (although the invasions in Watchdogs were fine) and as long as a story isn't making GBS threads in my mouth I don't really care about it either. I just want a sandboxy game with lots of cool poo poo to do and emergent mayhem.

Consensus seems to be that Sniper Elite 3 is better than Sniper Elite 4. Buy Sniper Elite 3 and save the money, buy Watch_Dogs 2 when it's cheaper? :v:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Mu. posted:

I will now recommend some games that I have not seen mentioned yet in this thread.

Dungeon Warfare is probably the best tower defense game on Steam, if you're the kind of boring retard who enjoys tower defense games. It's very similar to Orcs Must Die!, with its variety of wall/floor traps, and emphasis on combos. The better you do on each level, the more points you'll earn to upgrade your traps, and you can make levels more and more difficult by applying a bunch of different modifiers at level start (which will win you more points if you're successful). Recommended for players who enjoy: putting 200 prism towers around their base in Command and Conquer, spending long minutes considering the most effective way to torture hundreds of people to death, upgrading things, human enemies who explode into piles of bloody gibs, retrying for a better score.

This is me.

You also get pusher and puller traps you can use to drop enemies into bottomless pits. When they fall they go "AAAAaaaaaaaaa."

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nova-111, Dragon Fin Soup, Highrise Heroes and One Finger Death Punch in this bundle

https://www.indiegala.com/friday

I really like High-Rise Heroes.

Bundlestars FWIW has a good deal on Monster Slayers with both of the DLC. It's a deck-building roguelite thingy with good reviews so I snagged it. It's cheaper than the base game on Steam right now.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Heart's Medicine: Time to Heal.

I just did a minigame to find all the hidden pill bottles in the apartment of a drug-addicted hospital administrator. Then I got a montage with an acoustic guitar song as he goes cold turkey with the help of the main character to kick the drugs.

:stare:

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 30, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Mystic Stylez posted:

How hard is to get into the controllers and the difficulty of the game, though? I want it, but I remember back at release most people were really put off by those two aspects.

I like to think of myself as garbage at these kinds of games but you can actually slow down how time passes in the game in the menu. So what I did was I set the time percentage to 80% of normal and I tried with different control schemes until I found the one that worked for me. The best part is that you can crank time back up to 90 or 95 or 100 if you think the game's getting too easy.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

2. Another helpful tip I've realized is to essentially "know what I like" and not get games that are outside my personal genre preferences no matter how many thousands of overwhelmingly positive reviews they have. For example, I've just never been able to get into platformers. So even though Ori and the Blind Forest has 6k Overwhelmingly Positive reviews, it's just not a good buy for me, at least not until it's at a bigger discount and after I've already exhausted buying all the games in genre's that I do tend to enjoy like, 3rd Person Action RPG's.

I've noticed the same. I've also noticed that I've started to get way more ruthless about cutting games from my list. If it's below 85% positive reviews or has barely any reviews, I just don't buy it. Instead of buying lots of new games I've actually started "rediscovering" games I've bought in previous sales, installing them and trying them out. I have a lot of games from various bundles that I've never taken a proper look at and now I'm finding out that some of them are really good.

I'm at 700 games. That's a lot of games (I'm sure many of you reading this thread have more). I've basically reached a saturation point where the only titles worth looking at are ones that have come out in the last 12 months.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Harminoff posted:

I've never played the game however I've listened to the soundtrack to neotokyo a lot.

And you can download it for free, or pay if you want to.

It's been almost ten years, I hope Ed Harrison does something, anything else.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I feel like the finger of a monkey's paw just curled up somewhere.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

When they say a sale ends on a certain day, it means the sale ends at noon Pacific on that day. So you have a little less than 36 hours to get your games.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

How is Watch Dogs 2 on the PS4? I can get it for console cheaper than on Steam.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Zathril posted:

I picked up dream quest in the sale and have been basically glued to it despite the awful, awful graphics, any other good single player card based games?

Monster Slayers seems to be a very similar game with better presentation. I've had time to put three hours into it and I like it. Taking a look at Dream Quest too, wondering if I can overcome the presentation. I'm having the same problem with The Consuming Shadow.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Palpek posted:

I bought Watch_Dogs 2 and the season pass, gonna watch some dogs tonight.

Don't forget you can pet dogs too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

Well that was a fun sale, got a lot of stuff.

How'd everyone else do?

I have too goddamn many games already and I've grown picky, so it was the quietest sale for me in a while. Not to say the sales weren't good, but I already have everything.

Hitman, The Sexy Brutale, StarCrawlers and Hollow Knight have been a lot of fun so far.

Have I... have I beat Steam?

• Locked thread