Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'd like to buy Far Cry Primal. It looks like the lowest it's been though is $25 and I don't see them putting it much lower than that. I don't think I want to play that game enough to pay more than $15-$20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Far Cry: Primal is $25, further cementing the Steam sale's status as completely redundant in today's marketplace.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Can anyone see what Watch_Doges 2 is going for?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Warhammer is worth the price I think. The factions are so unique, both in combat and the overworld, that you can really get a lot of mileage out of replaying it. At this point I've done campaigns as Orcs, Vampires, and humans and they all were a lot of fun. Even the individual sub-factions within a race are quite unique.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Meant to post this here and accidentally posted it in the general thread. Whoops!

How's Wildlands for coop? Is it entertaining enough to be worth $40 if I'm just looking for something to play while I shoot the poo poo with one or two buds?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Utnayan posted:

It's bland. Nothing like the original Ghost Recons. I would wait further for it to drop to $19-29. If you haven't played Borderlands 2 or the PreSequel that would be way more fun with your buds.

My problem with Borderlands is it's so completely mindless and all the difficulty is artificial. There's no strategy other than "charge in and shoot, wait for shields to regen" and zero gameplay variety.

Apparently at the new game + level you have to start using elemental stuff more but even that seems like a lame way to increase difficulty.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

My couch multi game write-up:

Buy Duck Game

Play Duck Game

Quack

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I don't understand why Wolfenstein TNO and The Old Blood are the same price when The Old Blood is half as long and not as good. It strikes me as something that should have been down to $5 a long time ago.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Counter-opinion: Fallout 4 is good and fun as long as you don't have a ton of expectations about the game it's supposed to be and just enjoy it for what it is.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Turd Herder posted:

Here is my list of wants. Any suggestions on ones I should pass?

The Jackbox Party Pack 2 Or The Jackbox party pack 3?

I'd recommend 3. Quiplash is great and a must have and Tee KO is a big hit in my friend group. Not getting fibbage is unfortunate but honestly it's the weakest of those three imo.

Trivia Murder Party is also quite fun.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The real answer is to buy every Jackbox and then write a big check to Cookie Masterson for the entirety of your savings.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'd like to hear some goon impressions on Watch_Dogs 2. Worth it at $30?

Initially there was a lot of positive buzz around it but it seemed to have died off pretty fast.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Too Shy Guy posted:

Dead Cells is the big temptation for me this year. I don't really want to get it until it's complete but man, I've watched some streamers play it and it just looks soooooooooo fuuuuuuuun. It's like Subnautica was for me last year, I wanted to hold off until it was done but I've started like three new games of it in the past few months.

I'd say go for it. There's a ton of content in it as is (I have ~10 hours and am still unlocking new weapons and tools). Also they just added in a new boss that's a completely unbalanced and glitchy mess, so it's very unlikely you'll see the end anytime soon :v:

Yeah Dead Cells is in a really good place right now though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Cool, thanks for the thoughts on W_D2 everyone. I'm learning towards picking it up at this point. It's been a while since I played a drivey-shootey open world game and I actually enjoyed the original game enough to finish it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just smdh at people who can't find the joy in drop-kicking a zombie off a building.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Penpal posted:

I haven't played ground zeroes or MGS5 at all, would MGS5 be a good pick for 23.99 canadian beaver tails? I've heard that it's a little scatter brained and there is an hour before the game really starts. I don't really care about the extras or grounds zeroes so I'll be getting the base version.

MGS5 is a great game with some deep, deep flaws when it comes to story telling and pacing. The core stealth gameplay though is world-class, so if you're at all into the genre it's an easy recommendation.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Awesome! posted:

i feel like i could find joy in that for roughly 3 hours and then i would be pretty bored

What if I told you that drop-kicking a zombie off a building is the tip of the gory iceberg when it comes to hilarious ways you can humiliate and massacre zombies?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah these were the complaints that I was questionable about, cause i enjoy optionable objectives that encourage rushing but I find mandatory limits stressful and unfun. I'm not really a sit and wait player in turn based strategies, but seeing them ticking down just invariably puts me on edge. Are they lenient enough that it's not that bad or do they really put your nose to the grinder?

Sometimes they will, most times though as long as you're moving you shouldn't have too much trouble. Also there's quite a few levels that don't have timers, the whole thing is really overblown.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Started playing Watch_Doges 2. I like how immediately absurd it is. "Let's let him hack us...as a test!"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Necropolis is a coop game with clear Souls inspiration. It's content light, so I recommend it with caveats though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I honestly don't consider Dead Cells to be much like souls at all, short of the fact that you have a currency that you lose if you don't make it to a checkpoint. Even then, it's not like you can get it back once you die.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

Having just started Hollow Knight after putting a few hours into Dead Cells, I agree with you that HK feels floaty and less responsive than one might like. The aesthetic and the sound design are great, and I'll stick with it, but in comparison, Dead Cells feels incredibly tight and responsive in the controls -- it just handles exactly like I want a Metroidvania to handle.

Speaking of Dead Cells, anyone have any tips for defeating the second boss in order to get the second rune? Even when I've had pretty good runs and reach him with spare potion and decent weapons, he just annihilates me.

The second rune doesn't come from the Watcher, it comes from beating a sub-boss in the sewers.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm not even sure who that first guy you mention is -- I must not have encountered him yet. I'm talking about the sewers guy. I guess I need to just keep buffing weapons.

As nice as the controls are in this game -- as tight as the jumping and combat are -- the lag time to drink your potion and be healed is getting annoying. I've definitely died several times to this sewer guy when it seemed like I had enough time to drink the potion and came up a few frames short.

Regardless Dead Cells continues to be great fun. I hope it sees regular updating.

Oh, ok. Yeah with anything other than one of the big bosses you're going to want to hit them with CC. The other thing is looking for good combos. For example, a broadsword that does 2x damage leaves you vulnerable, but if you can freeze the guy first with an ice grenade you can nuke him before he can do anything.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I don't know that I'd say Dead Cells is nearly complete. The game abruptly ends and they've said they want to double the amount of content currently available before release.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Oh, that's crazy. The few people I've talked to about it have said it's "pretty much a full game."

I think when people say that they're just saying that what is there feels fully formed. It's shorter than it's going to be and they're still adding a lot, but what's there is really good.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Homefront is def one of those games that would have been <$5 if it had been in a steam sale 3-4 years ago.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

I want to give a recommendation for Freedom Planet. It's really fun especially if you like the old Sonic games on the Genesis.

Also if anyone is on the fence for Wolfenstein: New Order and Old Blood - I highly recommend both.

Freedom Planet is a blast. Just make sure to skip the cutscenes.

I was sort of blown away by their ability to make a cutscene starring two anthropomorphic cats talking about slumber parties last twenty goddamn hours.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Liu posted:

so how good is Hitman? I played the demo and it seemed alright, but it kinda felt like it never goes beyond finding out which cup your target drinks from, poisoning it, then drowning him in his own sick in the toilet. also it seemed easy. are there more fun ways to kill people

There are so many ways to kill people in Hitman it's loving ludicrous. The difficulty in finding them is up to you, by default the game gives you quite a bit of guidance but you can turn off the hints to make it more free-form.

And yes, it does get tough. Many of the targets will be surrounded by guards so you have to figure out when they are the most isolated, or how to get them isolated barring that.

Get Hitman, it's great.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

There was one mission where you have to kill a movie star. I ended up stumbling into his trailer without realizing it. Then he entered after me, barring my exit. I ended up killing him with a prop axe he had in the trailer and hiding in the closet until the guards who came to investigate gave up.

Suffice it to say, I did not get silent assassin on that one.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

At one point I saw a target go into a keycard-protected room that I didn't have access to. "This is my chance!" I thought to myself, and followed him in for the kill.

I then realized that you need to swipe a card to get out, too. I was trapped.

I had to pull the fire alarm to get someone to come let me out. Not Agent 47's finest moment.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Awesome! posted:

wouldnt the guy have the key card on him?

You would think, but no. One of the weird things about that game is characters that should definitely have keycards (cleaning staff at a hotel for example) have nothing on them. Generally there's a few specific places to find a card.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Gameko posted:

After all this post apocalypse talk, can someone recommend a few post apocalypse games? I've played all the fallouts up to New Vegas. I haven't played FO4. Genre doesn't matter much as I'm eyeing Caves of Qud for my post apoc game this sale.

I haven't played any of the wastelands. Are they worth it?

Mad Max? It's really cheap right now and is pretty good.

Nuclear Throne for joke answer.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

explosivo posted:

Just Cause 3 worth $13? I bought it when it released but ended up refunding it because of the always online stuff crashing constantly and generally seeming pretty meh overall. Have they changed/fixed any of the buggy always online bullshit?

The performance is largely hit and miss it seems. I bought a new graphics card recently and went back to see if it improved performance but JC3 still runs like absolute horse-poo poo. That isn't everyone's experience though.

I'd say check it out, if the performance is garbage get a refund.

In terms of gameplay it's Just Cause 2 only slighter prettier and with a wingsuit. Also about a billion activities that get insanely repetitive, but they're thankfully optional.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

loopsheloop posted:

Any good roguelikes with controller support? Rogue Legacy was great for mindless runs while watching Netflix, and I'd like something similar. Thanks!

Dead Cells, Binding of Isaac, Flint Hook

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

OK, cool....Far Cry 4 it is, then! I'm looking forward to this. I've heard good things.

Try out the coop if you has any interest. Everything except story missions is playable with a partner. It was a lot of fun doing outpost takedowns cooperatively.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

Dark Souls 3 and Bioshock Infinite are fine if you are a fan of either franchise. Don't buy into the goon hyperbole.

Goons seem to have an absurd amount of hatred for Bioshock: Infinite for some reason. I found it pretty entertaining and it goes to some interesting places. Wasn't incredible or anything but the way goons describe it you'd think it was just an animated gif of Ken Levine making GBS threads on a puppy or something.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I want to make my traditional recommendation of One Way Heroics Plus

http://store.steampowered.com/app/352840/One_Way_Heroics_Plus/

It's $2.59 $4.53 for one of the absolute best rogue-likes I've ever played. For those unfamiliar, it's a turn based rogue-like wherein the left side of the screen is an ever encroaching wall of darkness. You have to keep moving and fighting or get swallowed up by the void.

Don't let the art style put you off. It's got great music, tons of charm, and a ton of variety. I thought it was good when it was just "One Way Heroics", then they added the "Plus" expansion, more than doubling the amount of content, and it became a game that is an absolute must-have for any fans of the genre.

edit: Apparently it's $4.53 for the full package. Still more than worth it.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 28, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

My issue with Starbound is it doesn't feel like a universe to explore, it feels like a bunch of randomly generated terrains separated by loading screens. To be fair, that's literally what it is, but they don't do a good job of maintaining an illusion.

In Terraria, the world the game generates in for you serves the purpose of being your playground. You tunnel through it, build a base, have consistent growth. Starbound on the other hand encourages you to constantly leave your progress behind in the interest of seeing new worlds or whatever, but it doesn't really give you any incentive to do so.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Are there any games like Muramasa/Odin Sphere on steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I just wish Vanillaware would port their games to PC so I could get a decent deal on one instead of having to pay out the nose. Amazon has Odin Sphere PS4 for $67 :(

I think I own Dust though so maybe I'll play that. I'll just squint real hard.

• Locked thread