Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hopper posted:

Here's an easy tip for you and anyone else who wants to manage their spending.

Do not buy single player games that have DLC but are not available as complete/goty edition yet.

While that's good advice I don't know why you crossed out Rise of the Tomb Raider, because that has all of its content bundled? The Dishonored 2 situation is also weird due to the expansion being standalone (though they've already put up [non-flex, because they're loving Bethesda] bundles) and the base game has been hella cheap multiple times already, so who cares?

I'm probably going to hoover up a bunch of cheapo indie games and not much else unless there's a sick deal on Dishonored 2 or Prey or something. My backlog has reached insane levels, and this is 1-2 years out from when I pledged to slow the gently caress down and actually play some games. I blame Humble Monthly and getting suckered into multiplayer stuff. Also the part where I never actually got around to playing many games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Is Square-Enix doing something fishy with their prices or has Final Fantasy IX always inexplicably been 20.99? :raise:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

anilEhilated posted:

The Bright Lord DLC is actually pretty great since it gives you a different character with a different playstyle. It also supplies a proper final boss fight. The other mini-campaign is bland and skippable.

See, whereas I felt the opposite. Bright Lord was lame and samey while the other one has a fun beastmaster focus and builds to a fun final fight.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

How does this still happen every single time

Even if Valve wasn't Valve, it's hardly worth trying to fight for more servers/bandwidth for however many finite hours the store gets jammed up on day one before largely chilling out.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

-Blackadder- posted:

Uh...so this is what my steam cart looks like right now. Most of it is pretty heavily discounted (~75%), but I still think I could really use some help cutting this down...

Halp!

For starters:

Hero Siege Complete (I still don't know what the appeal of Hero Siege is. Are you super into the base game already or no?)
Street Fighter X Tekken: Complete Pack (Don't know a ton about it, but it doesn't seem that popular, and you've got a buncha other fighters right there.)
Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut (Frequently in bundles and is otherwise a just OK Portal-style game.)
Bad Company 2 Bundle (IIRC, Vietnam is cool but multiplayer only and also dead, so maybe just get the base game.)
Medal of Honor (Suuuuper skippable. There might still be some old Humble Origin keys floating around for it, too.)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
One of today's missions for worthless stickers is to earn an achievement in a game. How dare Valve pressure me to actually play the games I buy??? :argh:

Also FYI: Unlocking all of the stickers for a particular scene allows you to move and resize stickers on that scene, as well as use any stickers you have on it, on top of being able to display it on your profile for whatever reason. Of course a bunch of the stickers have voids to interact with the scene or other stickers, but I guess you can dump all the picnic food you want into a picture?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BirdOfPlay posted:

This is true but sucks, cause I always had a softspot for Free Radical. I also feel that way about a lot of games. Like Darkest Days isn't even on sale.

That's less "Steam sale sucks" and more "their publisher sucks and will never put the dang thing on sale so I can suffer through it".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Quest For Glory II posted:

people confuse roguelikes or open world games for metroidvanias sometimes. the definition should be pretty simple: areas are gated off by ability (you can't get somewhere without acquiring a new ability/move), and those abilities/moves can also be used in earlier areas to find secrets

I may do a steam curator group simply for defining if a game is a metroidvania or not because it's getting to be a thing

I thought Dead Cells at least has unlocks/pickups that let you use alternate paths in a Metroidvania-ish way, so it's maybe not completely out of left field.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Enigmatis 2 is rad as hell. I'm a weirdo who didn't mind playing the full trilogy but 1 is an early Artifex Mundi effort and 3 is good but kind of a letdown story-wise.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

long-ish post, everyone in the Darkest Dungeon thread either already knows this and has done it or chosen not to, but for the sake of idle viewers and/or people who have given up on that grind, here's how to make DD playable (ie, just delve dungeons and skip the grind):

IDGI, doesn't Radiant mode cut the grind down? Or does it not do enough? Or too much?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

A very important clarification:

Painkiller Black is the full original game and expansion. Painkiller: Hell & Damnation is the HD remake that has a lot of the original levels cut out and sold as DLC. Get Black, it's a more complete and outright better version.

A much more important clarification: Those are the only two Painkiller games.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ulio posted:

I actually enjoyed Dead Island and in general like zombie games alot. Mainly due to L4D. Is Dying Light a good zombie game or Dead Rising a better choice?

Dying Light is basically Dead Island but actually good, so I can't imagine you'll dislike it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Hey, by the way, if any of ya'll actually care about Steam XP and badges and poo poo, completing all of your sticker book scenes gets you a second badge.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lechtansi posted:

Is there a way to see what DLC is available for the games in my library? Talking about Deus Ex earlier made me realize i never purchased the DLC, which is great because its on sale. Id love to be able to do that for other games without having to go through every single game and checking the DLC.

I believe sometimes, but not during the sale, there's a feed on the front page that lists "content for games you own" and that's about it. Considering how much money Steam must make off DLC sales alone you'd think they'd make it easier, but Valve gonna Valve.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hm, doesn't seem to filter out ones I already own.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lechtansi posted:

Getting back on track, hows Tomb Raider 2013? I'm really enjoying Rise of the Tomb Raider, and I hear that it improves on the 2013 version in almost every way, but i'm hankering for more survival tomb raiding action so I was thinking about it (plus its only $5).

I actually liked 2013 better than Rise overall, but it has even fewer survival elements and the tombs are not even as developed as the ones in Rise. It's also missing the predator stealth and improvised weapons that were the highlight of Rise for me. On the other hand, the story is far less nonsensical, has better setpieces overall I think, and is still a really good, solid game.

To give an analogy, it's like going between Arkham City and Arkham Asylum. You'll definitely notice what's missing, and the comparatively compact game world, but what's there is still a complete package that holds up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In a rather frustrating bit of timing, the Humble Store kicked off a big indie sale yesterday, which means you might be able to get some slightly better deals there assuming you have the extra 10% off from the Humble Monthly or wallet credit lying around.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Splurged a bit since I had a bit more money and thus a willingness to spend it on things >$5 for once. Ended up with a wide mix of tiny indie things, big budget games, and some stuff inbetween for about $160~

Peer pressure was a big seller this time around. Wouldn't have pounced on stuff like Prey, Wuppo, or Hollow Knight if not for goons. A friend also sold me on Immortal Redneck even before goons got on the bandwagon. Didn't get me to pull the trigger on Dead Cells though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also let's not forget that Bethesda clearly thought Doom's multiplayer was going to be the next big thing and bankrolled all that DLC for it.

• Locked thread