Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Too Shy Guy posted:

Just happened to me too, everyone should get through their queue before they fix it.

drat, I'm trying but goddamned Steam can't switch pages without crapping its pants.

It's mind-boggling how much of a clusterfuck the Steam Store is for the first 2 hours into every sale. Like, I'm not even mad, but I knew this was exactly how it would go down because this is exactly how it goes down every single time. You'd think there would be some sort of contingency in place for the burst in traffic but nope.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Grey Fox posted:

It's their prerogative, but I still think there should be a special place in hell for companies that offer 50% discounts on a base game and the base game + DLC, but not the DLC on its own.

I'm looking at you, From Software

Yeah that's annoying as poo poo, but I feel like I somehow avoided this problem when obtaining the DLC for Dark Souls 3. I had already owned the base game, and ended up getting the DLC Pack (that included both add-ons) for like...50%/$12.50, I think?

Now if they're not discounting the individual DLC, yeah, that's irritating as hell.

EDIT: I managed to get through a discovery queue and ended up receiving 13 stickers/cards like other people have been reporting.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Grey Fox posted:

Yeah, no, both the season pass and individual DLCs are not on sale for Dark Souls 3

Oh poo poo, you're right--I got the DS3 Season Pass for $12.50 from the Humble Store when they had their big summer sale recently!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

So when should I expect to be able to access Steam? poo poo is impossible to browse right now.

It'll probably be another hour or two, honestly. It seems like I can never really get anything done for the first 2-4 hours of a large sale, which is annoying because, you know, a store you can't actually buy things from seems like a pretty fundamental failure.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Flaggy posted:

Shadows of Mordor for 4 bucks a no brainer?

No brainer especially if you like stuff like the Batman Arkham series, the most recent Mad Max game, etc.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

Is Dishonored 2 good now? I can't remember if it was that or Deus Ex 2 that ran like absolute garbo

FWIW I have a GTX 1080, i5-6600k @ 4.4 ghz, and the game was installed on a Samsung 850 M.2 SSD. At 2560 x 1440 with AA disabled, Vsync forced to adaptive via Nvidia control panel, and most other settings at "very high", I was getting really inconsistent FPS in many of the levels. The most recent patch (I believe released at the beginning of June) was supposed to continue addressing performance issues, but I haven't had an opportunity to confirm or deny that.

Just know that while the performance has been significantly improved since the game was originally released, it didn't run particularly well last time I checked, and a lot of users were experiencing similar issues as mine.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

loopsheloop posted:

Can I get recs for Darks Souls-y games? I like the pace of combat, the freedom of the RPG system, and the variety in weapon styles. Thanks!

People keep saying Dead Cells is a good 2D Souls-like. No idea if that's accurate, but it might be worth investigating.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Xaris posted:

Honestly agreed. Bad Company 2i s my alltime favorite multiplayer game, but its pretty loving dead except for a hardcore holdout of incestuous playerbase (like many old games by now). i mean if you really want to play singleplayer or w/e which was OK but not great, sure I guess.

I would also say skip Megabyte Punch. And possibly ditch Dust, its a competent metroidvania but its story is cringe anime as gently caress, if you asked last year i'd say yeah go for it since its generally fun, but you already have Hollow Knight which is loving amazing

I recently played Bad Company 2 for the first time and found the singleplayer to be (like you said) decent enough. I'd say that for $4.99 you could do worse.

God drat are the sound effects great in that game though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

i can still taste him posted:

I went to go buy Victor Vran and ended up adding a bunch of cheapies:

Sid Meier's Pirates!
Aquaria
Limbo
Solar 2
Gundemonium Recollection
Overlord II
A Story About My Uncle
Volgarr the Viking
Cook, Serve, Delicious!
They Bleed Pixels
To The Moon
Hotline Miami
Thomas Was Alone
Dishonored
Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015: Do You Still Shower With Your Dad haha what?
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians Collector's Edition
Pixel Galaxy
Deathstate
Color Assembler
Shattered Planet
HuniePop
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition
Victor Vran

Edit: Hrm.... guess I've got some work to do. Damned Path of Exile addiction...
Games owned: 309
Games not played: 270 (87%)

Love Deathstate--I've got like 200 hours logged on it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Blattdorf posted:

Any opinions on the Immortal Redneck? It seems like a neat little FPS rougelite.

I've sunk about 30 hours into it so far and I LOVE it. I was keeping an eye on the game for several months before it was released, but the videos made the combat/"gunfeel" look pretty anemic and underwhelming. I ended up not purchasing the game until the v1.2 was released, which talked a lot about how they were revamping the guns. As far as FPS Roguelites go (which I suppose would include stuff like Eldritch, Ziggurat, Killing Room, Tower of Guns, Heavy Bullets, etc.), this is absolutely my favorite one. The enemies have distinct behaviors and attack patterns, almost all of the 50+ weapons are varied and feel good to use, and the rooms emphasize a lot more verticality, traps, and scenarios than any other FPS Roguelite I've played.

-Blackadder- posted:

This sounds dope. Speaking of which what are the good Cthulhu games? I already played Call of Cthulhu.

You might want to take a look at Conarium. I wrote a review on the Steam page (I'm Cream-of-Plenty on Steam, and it's currently one of the "most helpful" reviews) but in general, it's a pretty drat faithful interpretation of Cthulhu Mythos elements. Fairly linear, with simple puzzles and a relatively short story (4-5 hours?) but will probably appeal to Lovecraft fans.

Unfortunately, it's not on sale right now, and $19.99 is probably pretty steep for the experience. Throw it on your wishlist (if it looks interesting) and wait until it's $10-12.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 28, 2017

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Palpek posted:

So how does SOMA's atmosphere compare to Alien: Isolation or Prey (I know that gameplay is completely different)? Some people swear it's one of the best games they've ever played but others...not really. Any opinions on it?

While I've played the hell out of Alien: Isolation, I don't have a ton of experience with SOMA, but I believe SOMA is a lot more linear (compared to A:I I mean) and the AI is a lot more rudimentary than the Xenomorph (it engages in the typical mindless patrol loops that are similar to many other FPS horror games like Amnesia; you're not really being "hunted" by something). SOMA's got a pretty cool story and concept behind it that explores ideas like consciousness, immortality, and existential dread however, whereas A:I is basically another story in the Alien franchise.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

My cart so far consists of

Hollow Knight
Broforce
Transistor

I was gifted Brothers, Undertale, and Guacamelee.

I can add one more game, which should it be out of the following:

Valiant Hearts
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Darkest Dungeon
The Talos Principle
Salt & Sanctuary

Any suggestions?

I like Gunslinger and Darkest Dungeon, but the Talos Principle (especially with the DLC) is great and would be my choice.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The Walrus posted:

wait so the day after the sale ends the shadows of mordor goty is on sale for the same price as the regular edition was all sale? lmao

Yeah kind of goofy, huh? I've noticed that a lot of weekend/midweek madness deals are often cheaper than the Steam Sale price. That wasn't always the case--when Steam Sales used to have random 8-hour flash deals and drifting sale prices, you'd often find a product for cheaper than at any other point. Nowadays Steam Sales are consistent for their duration, but consequently really boring.

I feel like I'd prefer them going back to the "snooze and you lose" approach of flash sales (even though I'd miss something periodically) simply because they were, you know, more interesting. But I can understand why that'll probably never happen.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Remember how the resident grognards couldn't bitch enough about it when gameplay trailers were released, because it wasn't "doom enough"?

I've said it before, but I didn't even consider buying DOOM until about 3 days prior to release, when that Nvidia video went viral. And I'm a Doom goon who plays Doom 2 WADs regularly and wears a disgusting Doom t-shirt. Personally, I didn't have any vitriol for the pre-release product, but the way Bethesda was selling it was completely unappealing to me.

It makes sense that some previews of the game would be "played" at a slower speed to demonstrate the graphics and mechanics without overwhelming viewers in a blur of nauseating camera movement, but the fact that not a single official Bethesda marketing video (as far as I can tell) showed the game at "true" speed is kind of absurd.

• Locked thread