Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

StrixNebulosa posted:

Bringing back an old effort-post of mine about Roguelikes, my favorite genre!

Roguelikes

Bionic Dues is down to 1.49$, and it's Arcen's weird unpolished game where you swap out different robots as you fight other robots. Worth a gander but you won't love it.

Caves of Qud is at 8.99$! Buy it! You all know the refrain by now, it's the classic post-apocalyptic mutant exploration game where you die to turrets, giant angry bears, and angry NPCs!

Crypt of the Necrodancer! 2.99$ for a beautifully designed roguelike where you dance as you kill your foes - it's wonderful, even if you have a bad sense of rhythm as I do.

Desktop Dungeons is 7.49$, and well - do you like having your brain fried as you try to solve puzzles? It's fascinating and difficult and elegant. *Do not get the goatperson DLC, I hear that class is an utter pain to play as, and only for advanced users.

Dungeonmans! Do you like fun? I like fun. It's 7.49$ for a pure dungeoncrawling experience. No funny plot to slow you down, no weird mutations to pick from, just a straightforward (yet cool) set of skills, your weaponry, and ever-more-powerful bees to kill. Good times. (The DLC is great, BUT do not get it unless you want to add difficulty sliders to the game, as it adds no other new content. The sliders are great and I love the new mechanics and customization, but it's for advanced players.)

Dungeons of Dredmor, a clunky classic for 2.49$. It's funny, its skill-tree hasn't been duplicated by anyone else yet, and it brought roguelikes to the mainstream. I also here there's a tiny tiny chance it might be getting a new patch or something? Fingers crossed!

One Way Heroics for 2.44$ (Add Plus edition for 2.59$!) - A weird yet cool game where you race across the kingdom to kill the Overlord before his creeping darkness swallows up everything. Plus Edition adds a TON of content and refinements to the game. There's an expensive remake that I'd pass on unless you really, really must have more of this game, too.

Sproggiwood. 4.49$ - no time for dungeon diving? New to the genre? This is the holy grail of accessible roguelikes. It's fun to play, cute to look at, and surprisingly vicious. Savage mode is no joke. Play it, and learn to hate twinned monsters!

Sword of the Stars: The Pit. For 1.29$..... you could do better. I'm sorry, but this game is terrible and I don't like it. It's one of the few sci-fi roguelikes, but DoomRL is free. Please play DoomRL instead.

ToME, one of the biggest roguelikes out there - listen. It's free at its website. What you are buying on steam is the upgraded fancy version. Worth it - I mean it's 2.37$ - but please go play the free version first. This game can be very offputting if you're not ready for it.

And then we get things I don't class as roguelikes in my steam library because I'm a nerd, but hey, they're good anyways!

FTL, THE game to play if you want to be captain kirk. Not a fan of the final boss, but you owe it to yourself to play at least one or two games of this. 2.49$

Spelunky is 2.24$ and it's the Indiana Jones experience. I mean I don't need to sell this one do I? Everyone knows it.

New Additions To This List

868-HACK, my favorite simple roguelike. It's almost an arcade game in how fiendishly simple it is. For 4.12$ it's one of the best on the list - carefully navigate a gauntlet of enemies as you collect weird/cool powerups and beat the game - then loop it, going as far down as you can before you die.

AuroraRL weird sci-fi roguelike for 0.74$ - it honestly feels like a game from the 80s or 90s? It's just... very weird, but there's a lot to do and it's cheap, so hey, check it out.

Morphblade - honestly it feels like a phone game. 2.49$ for a simple-yet-complex gauntlet of enemies where you upgrade the board itself with different tiles as you progress. I like it, it's by the Gunpoint guy, but it's not a deep game.

Risk of Rain, my new favorite Spelunky-esque game. 2.49$, has great dynamic difficulty and cool items - you try to clear five stages and their bosses before the timer reaches the insane difficulties, steadily getting stronger - or dying. I love it a lot!

MidBoss - alas, it's brand new so they couldn't do a sale, so it's a full 14.99$, but I like it. It's about possessing monsters and becoming them as you go through the dungeon. You learn skills from them, pick up new loot, and basically have a good pure roguelike experience. The devs are working on more improvements as we speak!

Summary

The absolute best things on this list are still Dungeonmans, Caves of Qud, and Crypt of the Necromancer - and the best bargain is DoomRL, as it's free! Get these four, have a blast!

My goon you're a hero because I've been looking for a good roguelike to get into alongside Dungeonmans and CoQ. (Also Risk of Rain is loving amazing, I might reinstall now that you've brought it up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

This is a quick post to recommend a game I stumbled across by pure chance a couple of days ago called I and Me. It's a fairly short puzzle platformer where you control two copies of yourself at once, both move, jump, etc. at the same time. It's got a very cute art style, amazingly lovely music, and a pretty decent number of levels, most of which are short and sweet. Nothing too taxing here, and you can hit h to get a guide to any given level, but it was a very enjoyable and relaxing escape here and there over the past few days.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I would feel that way but I think FO4 is vastly better than 3 in every single way so as a fun-enough brainless romp around a wasteland I can enjoy it.

3 should be subjected to Damnatio Memoriae though, scrubbed from the record, with NV treated as the first of the new ones.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

GigaPeon posted:

Anyone play Walking Dead season 3. 1 was great, 2 was... not great.

I like 3 more than 2 largely because A) Javi is a cool guy to play as and B) It knows what its theme is and sticks to it pretty rigorously.

1 is still far and away the best though.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 26, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Awesome! posted:

banner saga is trash.

Do not listen to this goon, Banner Saga is p. great

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If I had a choice between Fallout 3, Far Cry 4 and Fallout: New Vegas, which one would you recommend that I buy?

I don't have any experience with any of these franchises, but since they're so cheap right now, I'd be interested in giving one of them a try.

Rule out Fallout 3 completely; under no circumstances get it. If you want an RPG get New Vegas. If you want action get Far Cry 4.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Plastic Goldbaby posted:

Went digging for a bunch of smaller, cheaper games but I'm looking to trim the list a little. Any suggestions on what to axe?

Valdis Story
Reigns
Bloodgate
Neo Scavenger
This War of Mine
Pony Island
You Must Build a Boat
Massive Chalice
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Shrouded in Sanity
Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered
Paper Sorcerer
Flamebreak

Neo Scavenger is pretty good but be aware it's not a typical stats-driven RPG or anything like that (I don't know what its current marketing is looking like so maybe this advice is redundant).
Can possibly drop Massive Chalice unless you're looking for something XCom-ish. It's not bad, but it's not amazing either, and the central conceit of families and generations of heroes doesn't quite work as well as I'd hoped.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hulk Krogan posted:

How is there so much DLC for typing of the dead lol

There's a lot of words in the dictionary?

Is Domina any good? It looks like it could be my kind of thing, but is it more management or action or what? For reference I like Age of Gladiators but it's too hard for me to get very far in.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Walh Hara posted:

By the way, please buy Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun and Battle Brothers, because those games are awesome and I'd really like more games like them. Especially Shadow Tactics, no idea why that genre is so unloved.

Because it's been nearly 20 years and I'm still triggered when I see a screenshot from Commandos, which is one of the hardest games I've ever played. I'm usually fine with difficult games but I just ate poo poo with that series.

Battle Brothers is great I can confirm.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Shadow225 posted:

Shadow Tactics sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if I can get into it. I'd rather wait and make a less expensive mistake.

Battle Brothers gets a lot of love, but man I don't like the presentation.

That's fair my dude, that's the same reason I dislike Binding of Isaac and never even tried Don't Starve. With BB I was wary for the exact same reason but I took the risk and it works vastly better than I was expecting it to, presentation-wise. Entirely subjective of course, but maybe you'd have a similar experience. Also be aware that the sound design (which is goddamn fantastic) is truly integral to the whole thing working. Attacks sound meaty and heavy as gently caress, everything is satisfying as hell, and if you've only seen screenshots you're probably not getting the whole package.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

black.lion posted:

Are there any hidden FPS gems out there like Call if Juarez that look good and are fun but dont try to scare you or have a story or anything besides murder.

Bulletstorm.

SelenicMartian posted:

Wasn't RDR a complete mess held together only by cat guts and pagan chanting?

On the engine level, I mean.

Yep, it's a miracle that flying horse women were the worst most people saw. R* games are, from what I hear, object lessons in how not to code games.

The Skeleton King posted:

Satellite Reign- another one that looks interesting but I have never heard about.

Caves of Qud- games like this look fun. My problem is that it looks absurdly complicated, and I don't have the kind of time to spend learning to play games.

Satellite Reign is ace, if you've played Syndicate or Syndicate Wars it's a spiritual successor to those. Go around a cyberpunk dystopia loving poo poo up and being a cyber-rear end in a top hat.

Caves of Qud is loving fantastic and one of the best Roguelikes around, but I personally did find it fairly tricky to learn. If you want the genre but a very easy time learning the basics, consider Dungeonmans. Caveat: I might be an idiot who is bad at video games, so don't decide solely on my response.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 1, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Grim Dawn and Titan Quest are my two favorite ARPGs, but they are long-rear end games and you do have to go through them to get each subsequent difficulty. Veteran mode mitigates this a good deal but maybe not enough for Fortuitous Bumble's tastes?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

-Blackadder- posted:

What are the good Final Fantasy games after 8?

Ask ten FF fans this question and you'll get eleven opinions. For my part, X is the greatest the series has ever been, and X-2 is secretly solid gold. I dislike IX personally, but the Steam port is, by all accounts, extremely solid.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

DontMindMe posted:

Did another dive into hidden gem threads and came up with another list of possible gems/trash. Any feedback on what to keep/drop?

Crimzon Clover
Militia
Kalimba
Megabyte Punch
Party Hard
ClusterPuck 99
NEO Scavenger
Rusty Lake Bundle
Milkmaid of the Milky Way
Lily Looking Through
Party Golf
Pharaoh Rebirth

EDIT: Dropped REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR, added Pharaoh Rebirth

Party Hard is fun as gently caress, you go around murdering the poo poo out of, well, parties, with loads of environmental kills as well as just knifing people with a big fuckoff knife.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OhFunny posted:

I'd like a game I can turn my mind off and listen to music/Youtube and just grind out levels and/or loot.

I do have a good amount of the good ARPGs already. Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Titans Quest Anniversary, Victor Vran, Borderlands 1 & 2.

Well there's always Realm Grinder...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

This may be old news by I decided Life is Strange was cheap enough for the punt and I'm real glad I got it because it's so loving good I recommend it to basically anybody.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

gmq posted:

Any super engrossing game I should buy before the sale ends? Games that make me want to finish them to find out what's going on. I'm not picky about the genre, I'll play anything but the story should be part of the game, so a Bejeweled clone with story dumps between levels wouldn't really work.

Examples: NieR (the first, the sequel is still too expensive for me), Kotor, Undertale, the first couple of Mass Effect games. Bad example: Hollow Knight (great game but not what I'm looking for since the plot is really vague).

Life is Strange

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I bought Brigador, Life is Strange, Necrodancer, and Project Highrise, but I refunded the last after about an hour. Then,

gmq posted:

I bought three games and played one a bit and then spent another 10 hours playing Skyrim.

e; Oh and I picked up the Endless Legend DLC I had been missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

strategery posted:

Don't have pillars so hell yeah. How long is it?

I've got about 65 hours logged and I've only done the one play through. Could do it much quicker if you skip side content, could take longer if you want to do as much as possible.

• Locked thread