Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
If you like Transistor's combat at all, it's worth doing a New Game+ run--all the enemy layouts are mixed up and you get second copies of all your programs, which drastically opens up your build options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

They're flawed games. I played through both and enjoyed them overall, but they definitely have issues that could ruin the experience if you care enough about the impacted parts.

EDIT: If someone says they're total trash, though, that is silly.

I would argue that calling the DLC for Bioshock Infinite "total trash" isn't hyperbole in the slightest. And I actually liked the base game.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Seeric posted:

obscure stuff

This is awesome and I put Creepy Castle on my wishlist. I've been scouring all the video game discussion forums I can think of looking for super obscure stuff since I've already played stuff that gets recommended over and over like Hollow Knight

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Think the steam sale is boring? About done with your shopping? Come check out the gift train thread and spread joy amongst fellow goons.

Pretend I dug up and posted a pic of someone gifting me like 200$ worth of games, because that actually happened.

Or maybe you'll be the one to gift someone their entire wishlist, I don't judge.

(Unless you have 200 games on your wishlist and post "yeah, I'm only accepting stuff in the top 10". Then I'll judge you hard)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Fair warning to anyone considering Life is Strange: I just finished episode 4 and the story is not what it seems to be in the beginning. This game is serious on a level I did not expect, I'm actually a little bit shocked.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Lakbay posted:

This is my first time buying stuff in a steam sale since xmas 2015 and I swear some stuff was cheaper then. Has this been a trend recently and will stuff not get deeper discounts in the fall/winter sales?

I noticed this as well, but I'm still able to keep the large majority of my cart filled with ~75% off titles and I'm fiddling with a $150+ subtotal. I'm making the occasional exception by getting a few games with <50% off discounts like Hollow Knight, Hyper Light Drifter, Icey, and Salt and Sanctuary, but I'll be holding off until the next sale on a lot of other popular titles I have my eye on like Dead Cells, SuperHot, Immortal Redneck, Inside, Shovel Knight, Battle Brothers, and Brigador because they don't have a big enough discount this go round. And of course there's other games that I'd like to get but that just haven't been out long enough to get a big discount like The Surge, Resident Evil 7, Tekken 7, Nier Automata, Sniper Elite 4, and Prey.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 28, 2017

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Dark Souls 3 is my favorite souls, I think it does a lot of things way better than anything else in its series.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lakbay posted:

This is my first time buying stuff in a steam sale since xmas 2015 and I swear some stuff was cheaper then. Has this been a trend recently and will stuff not get deeper discounts in the fall/winter sales?

Summer sale is a little weaker than winter sales in general, but no it's been a fairly typical sale. 33% of highest sale %, 45% is about ~same, and only about 22% is worse sale-wise.

(This doesn't account for games that have reduced base price but same % discount as before so it's still possibly cheaper now than it has been but won't be counted as such. So worse sale % are a little misleading and higher because they could still be cheaper).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Anti-Hero posted:

I am finally playing Bastion four years after receiving it. Pretty cool, is Transistor worth a buy?

It's okay to play once IMO. The gameplay wore out its welcome a couple hours before it ended for me and I had no interest in revisiting it when I was done, but if it works for you then you might enjoy it more.
Just don't go into it expecting more Bastion because they have almost nothing in common gameplay-wise. For $3, even as critical as I am about it, it's definitely worth a look.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 28, 2017

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
^^^^ Speaking of Bastion and Transistor there's a new game by the same devs that comes out end of July; Pyre, looks like it might be interesting.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

Seeric posted:

I had completely forgotten about this game because it's been a while since I last played it and I haven't finished it yet, but I remember liking it a lot. It sort of oozes with a disgusting amount of charm. I think it's worth getting even if you don't like Metroidvanias, though that might depend on just what you don't like about Metroidvanias and to what degree. Even though there's some exploration and backtracking involved, a lot of the progression is based around puzzles and NPC interactions; it feels oddly similar to an adventure game in some ways. There's not much in the way of combat against normal enemies, but there are a lot of boss fights.

Wuppo is honestly just a very strange game and doesn't feel too similar to anything else that I can think of. There's a lot to like even if you're not a fan of Metroidvanias, though if you're really on the fence about it I'd honestly recommend checking out the demo or watching an uncut gameplay video of the first few minutes.

Sold!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lakbay posted:

I mostly buy indie games during sales and even those seem to not have as big discounts. I had a "buy when it's $5 or less" rule but a lot of stuff I expected to be at that price point are at $6.79 or $7.50 and most of them are a couple of years old
i've spent $50 and gotten 18 games, an average of $2.78 per game

some games have had their cheapest prices ever (headlander, pharaoh rebirth, typing of the dead overkill, stories untold, oneshot) while others have been at their peak discount to date

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Typing of the Dead Overkill was a lot of fun for the four dollars I paid for it. Don't think it's worth much more than that but fun for the sale price.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

How is there so much DLC for typing of the dead lol

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I love the Gaben Summer Discount Palooza!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHZWsPNTMNI

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hulk Krogan posted:

How is there so much DLC for typing of the dead lol

There's a lot of words in the dictionary?

Is Domina any good? It looks like it could be my kind of thing, but is it more management or action or what? For reference I like Age of Gladiators but it's too hard for me to get very far in.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shadow225 posted:

Dark Souls 3 and Bioshock Infinite are fine if you are a fan of either franchise. Don't buy into the goon hyperbole.

I'm puzzled by this too. bioshock infinite was a huge critical darling at the time of release and I enjoyed it heaps, though some of the fighting was a little trudgy. its story is neat if you like the philosophy lite stylings of ken levine (e.g. ' would you kindly').

iirc it got a social justice shitfucking at the time by having a black character turn out to be not very nice, and the big racism as original sin plot twist annoyed the sort of people who hate stuff that too visibly thinks itself clever. idk about the dlc, I never played it.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I didn't know whether to put this in just the general Steam thread, or both that and here, but I've seen discussion in both places, so...
For those who are curious about Princess Maker 3, I made a thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825193

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I honestly completed Transistor in three hours, as in: I have played this game three hours total and have the Bye() achievement. Maybe I missed some things, but the game seemed quite linear to me so I was a bit dissapointed.

That said, it was fun.

By the way, please buy Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun and Battle Brothers, because those games are awesome and I'd really like more games like them. Especially Shadow Tactics, no idea why that genre is so unloved.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Walh Hara posted:

By the way, please buy Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun and Battle Brothers, because those games are awesome and I'd really like more games like them. Especially Shadow Tactics, no idea why that genre is so unloved.

Because it's been nearly 20 years and I'm still triggered when I see a screenshot from Commandos, which is one of the hardest games I've ever played. I'm usually fine with difficult games but I just ate poo poo with that series.

Battle Brothers is great I can confirm.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Shadow Tactics sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if I can get into it. I'd rather wait and make a less expensive mistake.

Battle Brothers gets a lot of love, but man I don't like the presentation.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Shadow225 posted:

Shadow Tactics sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if I can get into it. I'd rather wait and make a less expensive mistake.

Battle Brothers gets a lot of love, but man I don't like the presentation.

That's fair my dude, that's the same reason I dislike Binding of Isaac and never even tried Don't Starve. With BB I was wary for the exact same reason but I took the risk and it works vastly better than I was expecting it to, presentation-wise. Entirely subjective of course, but maybe you'd have a similar experience. Also be aware that the sound design (which is goddamn fantastic) is truly integral to the whole thing working. Attacks sound meaty and heavy as gently caress, everything is satisfying as hell, and if you've only seen screenshots you're probably not getting the whole package.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

There's a lot of words in the dictionary?

Is Domina any good? It looks like it could be my kind of thing, but is it more management or action or what? For reference I like Age of Gladiators but it's too hard for me to get very far in.

It's fun enough, especially for $5. It's akin to a mobile game. It's simplistic and, once you discover the key to winning, fairly easy depending on your luck. I've enjoyed it and the soundtrack is great.

There is actually an ability to take control but I prefer to watch matches instead.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm not making my next batch purchase yet but i know what it'll be: fairy fencer f, magic circle, last door S2 and quantum conundrum

that'll leave me with close to 4 dollars and maybe i'll get one more game beyond this and that'll probably be it for me for the sale, so i'll let card drops and stuff get my steam wallet up higher. then get maybe sublevel zero. idk

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Everything wrong with Bioshock Infinite can be summarized by the changing of Elizabeth's model to a bug eyed freak so that people would empathize more.

It is just 300% not what was advertised and cares far more about manipulation than anything. Also the combat is goddamn horrible and there are way too many bullet sponges.

And I say this as someone who bought it twice and likes quite a bit of what it goes for. Just so much of the game should have been better.

Also one of the bosses is a loving ghost.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm playing the Bioshock Infinite DLC now as I got it on a past sale. One seems to be just a battle arena against the AI. So no interest there, didn't play it. The two "Burial At Sea" chapters are much more substantial. They play after you finish the main game. It's the characters from Infinite, but in Rapture before Rapture's fall. The second chapter lets you play as Elizabeth. I haven't gotten that far into that chapter, but it looks like maybe it's stealth? But they give you lethal weapons as well.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

It's got a demo if you want to check it out.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm only still doing this stupid sticker game because Geralt still doesn't have a grill :argh:

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

kater posted:

It is just 300% not what was advertised and cares far more about manipulation than anything.

Pretty much.

If i remember right, see also: the narrative going from 'perhaps the horrific wizard racists and their victims are two equally bad extremes and the truth is in the middle' to (main game spoilers)'this black lady leading an underclass revolt was going to kill a small child because why not if we didn't kill her first do you see now do you see that both sides are bad' to (burial at sea ep2 spoilers) 'actually she was asked to take a random child hostage so that booker's wide-eyed daughterwife would learn to make the hard decisions by murdering her'

monster on a stick posted:

I'm only still doing this stupid sticker game because Geralt still doesn't have a grill :argh:

Okay this just makes me wish Cook, Skellige, Delicious was a thing.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Sooo, a few more games crept into my cart that I need some goon opinions on to whittle down...

7 Days to Die -60% $9.99
Luftrausers -$75% $2.49
Furi +DLC -0% $11.88
Layers of Fear -65% 6.99
Eldritch -90% $1.49
The Consuming Shadow -50% $4.99
I am The Hero -70% $2.99
ABZU -70% $5.99
Devil Daggers -50% $2.49
The Last Door Season One -75% $2.49
Adam Wolfe All Episodes -85% 2.99
Super House of the Dead Ninjas -80% $1.39
Hyper Light Drifter -50% $9.99
Darkness Within 1: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder -80% $1.59
Summer Sale Puzzles Bundle (World of Goo, Machinarium, Samorost 2, SpaceChem, Tiny Bang Story, Gateways, The Bridge, Tetrobot & Co, The Room, Sokobond) -87% $10.74

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Sooo, a few more games crept into my cart that I need some goon opinions on to whittle down...

Luftrausers - 2D dogfighting game. It was cool for a play, but I didn't spend a lot of time with it. I will note that I don't do well with 'infinite play' games. I would skip it, but it is a okay title. I just think there are many more solid games, even at this price point.
Furi +DLC - Boss Rush game that combines simple melee combat with bullet hell. Each boss has like 7 phases, and you have 3 lives to beat the boss. Each phase you beat will replenish a life. If you lose all lives, you have to restart the boss again. I really wanted to like this, but mehhhhh. I would wait for a deeper discount personally.
ABZU - I haven't played this one personally, but it's from the director of Journey, and I'm told it's Journey but underwater. 3D uhhh walking simulator but not really. It will be a very pretty artsy game that lasts 3 hours max. Probably a solid buy.
Hyper Light Drifter - 2D exploration game with fast combat. I want to say Zelda like exploration and dungeons with Dark souls like story telling subliminal story telling through world building, but that's not entirely accurate. It has beautiful sprites, fast combat (a BS boss or two), and man it just feels good. Definitely the best game in your cart by a wide margin.
Summer Sale Puzzles Bundle (World of Goo, Machinarium, Samorost 2, SpaceChem, Tiny Bang Story, Gateways, The Bridge, Tetrobot & Co, The Room, Sokobond) -87% $10.74
World of Goo - Really cool physics puzzle game that probably still holds up today. Worth a play.
Samorost 2 - point and click adventure game with minimal story telling. It's short, but it was cute and I didn't regret playing it as someone who doesn't mess with the genre. I have a key if you want it and decide not to get the bundle.

I did my best. tl;dr get Hyperlight Drifter, everything else can probably be skipped from what I saw.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

-Blackadder- posted:

7 Days to Die -60% $9.99
- I have this on ps4 so i cant speak directly about pc specific stuff, but the game is a fun minecraft-ish survival game where you need to survive (drink, eat) and scavenge for materials. It has a very active development and the devs put out a youtube video and do amas on their forums. They are quite responsive and have added a lot of user features. A fun game to play alone or with friends.

Luftrausers -$75% $2.49
- Its awesome. A score chase side scrolling arcadey plane game. Buy it.

Furi +DLC -0% $11.88
- Have base game on ps4. I beat one boss, so i didnt get too far. Hard as balls bullet hell twin stick slasher/shooter/counter game. It is literally a boss rush game. I didnt play much after. Just wasnt scratching that itch at the time. But a lot like it.

Eldritch -90% $1.49
- Its a fun rogue like. I like it.

ABZU -70% $5.99
- A beautiful diving / walking simulator. An opaque story, but its just nice to look at and is very enjoyable. Also like 2 hours long.

Devil Daggers -50% $2.49
- A first person shooter with 2 sooting modes/guns where you are on a flat surface and nothing to look at but stylized enemies trying to kill you. I lasted 80 seconds.

- Very fun platformer. Id recommend a controller.

Havent played all of them, but of the ones i played thats a solid list of puzzle games.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i didnt like eldritch at all

Brother Buer
Oct 23, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

7 Days to Die -60% $9.99
Luftrausers -$75% $2.49
Furi +DLC -0% $11.88
Layers of Fear -65% 6.99
Eldritch -90% $1.49
The Consuming Shadow -50% $4.99
I am The Hero -70% $2.99
ABZU -70% $5.99
Devil Daggers -50% $2.49
The Last Door Season One -75% $2.49
Adam Wolfe All Episodes -85% 2.99
Hyper Light Drifter -50% $9.99
Darkness Within 1: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder -80% $1.59

Get the summer sale puzzle bundle if you don't have any of the games. Aside from Machinarium, Samorost (both point and click games) and Spacechem (an awesome programming based puzzle game) the rest are pretty forgettable. Luftrausers is a fun game to play in 10 minute bursts, but it wears on you quick: you shoot things, build up a combo, and die in short order (or if you suck at the game, like I do). ABZU is basically Journey underwater. Pretty chill, minimalist, and if you don't like atmospheric games, boring. If you want to try ABZU I have an extra copy, hit me up here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/BatmanScoop/

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

strategery posted:

Eldritch -90% $1.49
- Its a fun rogue like. I like it.

Awesome! posted:

Well now I don't know what to believe anymore

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Awesome! posted:

same. too mediocre and kind of ugly bother with when there's so many actual good games out there and life is too short to play something that isn't the absolute best games you could be playing

i mean its super cheap and fine price.. but just... why bother?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Xaris posted:

life is too short to play something that isn't the absolute best games you could be playing

i mean its super cheap and fine price.. but just... why bother?

Counterpoint: why not?

Tollemache
Oct 10, 2012
I haven't seen it recommended here before, so I just wanted to give a little effortpost spotlight to the neat indie gem Last Word ($1.99). Set in the fictional and mildly satirical St. Lauden, where getting the last word in a debate grants you the power to issue an order that the loser is powerless but to obey, devious and renowned linguistic professor Chet Chatters has trapped a motley crew of high society guests inside his mansion by means of a formidable weapon: a one-way intercom system that always gets that all-powerful last word.

It's a puzzle game in RPG trimmings and a Clue-esque whodunnit hat, where the central verbal parry and riposte is represented in a fresh and neat little 'battle' system that I can best describe as a kind of triple layered tug of war Rock-Paper-Scissors take on the old JRPG turn-based battle stylings, bolstered by a rudimentary equippable skills system, that's just complex enough to feel good to master. The majority of the gameplay involves exploring the mansion, talking and engaging in sparring discourse with guests for clues and conversation topics to bolster your verbal arsenal for unlocking further dialogue and unravelling the plot. The plot is solid and snappy, and the wordlbuilding is surprisingly deft and dense for such a relatively short game- a full playthrough will run you about five or so hours, plus change for achievement hunting or NG+ noodling- and I personally found it increasingly charming as I went on. Also: bad puns, hidden endings and secret cat boss fight.

I wouldn't comfortably recommend it at full price, as it has bits of grinding, isn't particularly replayable beyond the initial run and the awkward bones of the RPG Maker engine show through a fair bit, but at 80% off for $1.99 I'd definitely say it's worth checking out as a fun little experience.

Tollemache fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 29, 2017

Plastic Goldbaby
Sep 8, 2010

Purple horseshoes?
Sure, if they be nailed to a golden horse.

Anti-Hero posted:

I am finally playing Bastion four years after receiving it. Pretty cool, is Transistor worth a buy?

Late to the party, but I'm the guy who liked Transistor more. The story felt more personal and just grabbed me more, the art style is just fantastic, music is at least on par with Bastion with an even better narrator, and combat is flat-out awesome and much more versatile. Really this game just hit all the right notes for me. $2.99 is a steal for one of the best indie games I've played in a long time, I say go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Prey 2017 is a good game. It feels weirdly hard at the start but then it finds its rhythm and its all cool exploration and goofy email reading and whatnot just like a Deus Ex game.

If at any point there's a troublesome combat encounter just do the following three things:
1. Make sure you've been pouring your weapon upgrades into the Shock Disruptor and the Shotgun, go look on a wiki or whatever where you can get a Shocker because there's an easily missable one right near the start of the game.
2. Get the incredibly cheap Combat Focus power.
3. Use that, then spam whichever weapon is the most effective vs the enemy you're fighting.

Boom you've solved the combat encounter and can get back to fun exploration if the combat in the game isn't your bag.

• Locked thread