Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Bedlam posted:

I'm hoping somewhere blizzard puts overwatch on sale. I've been meaning to buy it for PC but since I already have the PS4 version my conscious won't allow spending more than $30. :(

I got bad news

They just had an Overwatch sale for it's anniversary last month

Turd Herder posted:

I'm excited for the sale. Whats the 1 game you all seem to be waiting to buy this sale?

Unless Bethesda fucks it up for me, DOOM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I'd like some opinions on my cart, just in case:

DOOM - Unless there's something abysmal about this that I don't know, there's no way I'll take it out of the list, I've been waiting for it to go on sale for a while
Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book - I've always wanted to play an Atelier game but I've heard some of them have very strict time limits or are just plain unfun. I got high tolerance to anime so that's not a problem here. Of all the games on this list this is the one I'm the most wary.
• Ghost 1.0 - I like metroidvanias. And yes, I already have Hollow Knight, it was fantastic.
• Monkey Island 1+2 - I actually never played this despite loving point'n'clicks as a kid. Are they still good in TYOOL 2017 or is pure nostalgia? The new art sure looks dumb, I'm glad I can change back to pixels.
• Gunman Taco Truck - The premise seems great and I love me some tycoon but nowadays the words "roguelike" sounds more like a warning than a reccomendation
•Project Highrise - Seems like a modern day SimTower. I like managing but some of these games are way too spreadsheet heavy, how is this one?
•Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 - This got reccommended a lot some time ago in the Steam Thread and at this price it's a sure buy, unless there is any kind of gamebreaking bugs
•Mainlining - A narrative investigation clicking game with some hacking thrown in, looks like a good time but literally never heard anyone talk about this. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

OK, now I need the thread's advice:

Resident Evil VII or PREY?

Things to note:

1) I am a scaredy-cat who had trouble with Amnesia (and still haven't gone back after nope-ing out) so if things are all jump-scares and nervous tension I am right out

2) I am a terrible shot and actually pretty bad at hitting what I'm aiming at, as I grew up a console gamer.

3) Games with respawning enemies can gently caress right off, I'm not playing them. If I clear a room, it needs to stay cleared.

REVII looks like it might be too scary for me, but PREY sounds super-difficult with constantly running out of ammo?

Which of these games are better for a single playthrough? I never, ever, ever play games a second time, but I am all-in for tearing my ticket and taking the ride once-through?

Uh, neither? RE7 is heavy into horror so that's ruled out by 1 and Prey has respawning enemies, limited ammo and tense surroundings so ruled out by all three.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

:( thanks goons. Guess it's back to Telltale's Guardians of the Galaxy. No AAA concensus GOTY for me, just fun walking simulators and RPGs that I like and enjoy.

Thanks for your advice too! Ruled out Monkey Island and took another look at my wishlist, I'm now considering Tormentum: Dark Sorrow. The art style looks fantastic and it seems like a nice setting but I also have never heard anyone talk about it. Any opinions?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Mokinokaro posted:

Good news: Atelier Sophie and Firis don't have the time management mechanics (Sophie has one missable event you have to do before the final boss and it's pretty obvious.) They're far from the best of the series but they're fun enough.

That's it then, trigger pulled, thanks for the inputs, everyone.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Substandard posted:

Hey all.. I have some questions...

If I'm looking at either Dead Cells or Hollow Knight , which is the better choice? Neither has a great discount, so I'll probably grab one and wait for the next sale on the other.

Also, is there anything of value in the Fallout 4 Season Pass? I hate not getting all of the content, but $15 for the base game vs like $40+ for the bundle with the DLC seems brutal and the reviews are decidedly negative.

Hollow Knight is actually finished and is a strong contender for indie GOTY. It's an outstading game of it's genre, much like Shovel Knight is for plataformers.

DaveKap posted:

So.... Clandestine is on sale for 5 bucks.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/290530
Has anyone played this a bunch? Is it as fun as the concept makes it seem?

Same question for Seraph which is now $2.60.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/425670

Seraph is a very repetitive game with lacklusters upgrades(Things like "1% More Attack" or "2% Chance of Critical Hits"), shooting that's mostly garbage(Aside from a pretty good shotgun but it's hard to screw up a shotgun) and a story that goes nowhere - literally, as when you beat the last boss you get to make a choice and no matter what you choose it just skips to the credits. The dev said the story wasn't the main draw of the game so he doesn't care about it.. So if you do get invested into the logs, angels & demons and whatever is up with the protag, too bad. Skip it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I nabbed a foil card which earned me some extra cash, is there any notable five bucks game that slipt under the radar? I'm considering Sorcery! 1+2 but am wondering if there might be anything I missed.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Pain of Mind posted:

Is the CIV6 + X-Com 2 bundle worth getting if I just having passing interest in Civ6? The only Civ I have is 5. I get bored of single player strategy games pretty quickly, pretty much after just winning one game unless there is a decent multiplayer scene? Not sure I would want to dedicate a 6 hour block or whatever for one game though. Also X-Com 2 seems to be having an expansion coming out soon, would it be worth waiting for some bundle with that maybe in the winter sale?

I am having trouble deciding which games I would actually play if I got them, since I tend to buy games that I heard were good when they go on sale, and then never play them.

Here are games that kept my interest enough to get my moneys worth:
Darkest Dungeon
FTL
Rogue Legacy
Shadowrun Returns
South Park: Stick of Truth
X-Com: Enemy Unknown
Dominions 4 (multiplayer)
Binding of Isaac

Currently thinking of grabbing:
Left for Dead 2 - cheaper than a drink at a restaurant, does anyone still play it?
Transistor - cheap
Shadow of Mordor - cheap
Satellite Reign - I liked Syndicate a long time ago, not sure if this is any good or if the play-style holds up
I feel like these could add to the pile of never played games if I get them just because they are cheap though.

Maybe one metroidvania?
Dead Cells - looked the best but not a huge fan of early access
Hollow Knight - people say it is good but videos have not looked like anything special
Ori and the blind forest - supposed to be good?

Any thoughts on the above games?

Shadow of Mordor is an Arkham game where you slaughter Uruks in very messy ways and around 60% of the story also begin pitting them against each other. I greatly enjoyed it, but it's not a spectacular game.

Hollow Knight is fantastic, if you enjoy metroidvanias at all you won't regret it. Dead Cells might be cool but I'd rather wait for it to be finished.

black.lion posted:

In case this gets missed on the last page

Basically I want something with gorgeous visuals that's basically a slightly-interactive long movie, bonus points if I can pick between different classes or play-styles, if armor and weapons show on your character in game, and/or there is character creation/customization. I need something to relax and chill and play with my feet up and hear abt a cool story.

That's awfully specific. Steam also isn't very big into RPGs - at least not those that are as expansive as you're asking. The only ones I can think of are Dragon Age, Mass Effect 1+2 and The Witcher 3, and if I had to chose one of those it'd definitely be Witcher. You probably already have those tho :(

RPGs that don't fit all those criteria but might spark your interest: Trails in the Sky series, Atelier series, Cosmic Star Heroine, The Last Remnant, South Park: Stick of Truth, Divinity II, Expeditions series, Shadowrun series(Daggerfal and Hong Kong), Tales of Berseria

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

mdh1975 posted:

Looking for suggestions on a single player base building, crafting, whatever it's call now game released in the last couple of years that I can sink some time into. Have my eye on Northgard and 7 Days to Die. For reference I really liked the original Dawn of War and enjoyed farming mats and crafting in WoW.

The games you mentioned are more survival oriented but based on the ones you liked I'd suggest the Anno series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Hemish posted:

/\/\/\ poo poo Lovecraftian stuff! Hell yeah I love this genre too and sometimes combined with point and click. I'm looking at what you guys recommended to this other dude!

Thanks to this thread and a goon video talking about gold nuggets you can easily miss during big sales, I purchased Gray Matter (point and click adventure) and I like it after just finishing Chapter 1. I have a bunch of point and click adventure games already but I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend decently discounted games during this sale? I grew up with those games so I usually know most classics but I never had friends into them so it's a genre that I can easily have missed gems.

I usually don't like the hard as balls puzzles like the games of old that didn't even make sense (I'm looking at you Gabriel's Knight 3 and the loving cat mustache or early King Quests games!) but feel free to recommend anything you guys like and maybe add a little warning for bad cases of that.

The better the story, the more I want to hear about them.

Good poster Too Shy Guy got you covered

• Locked thread